Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: Yep! So she has 16 now. Granted 4, aren't all the way up yet, but give it 3-4 weeks. I hope we get a break for a couple months. Or actually, I would rather just get the stupid molars over with and then be done with teething the next 5 years.

2. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@cheert16: Wow, those are some words. You go B!

@QueensBee: @Mrs. High Heels: This is what we do too. Also I let him walk to the bathroom where our changing table is and it seems to help that he walks there himself.

@Adira: Yay, I'm glad to hear that Xander is doing so much better!

@Silva: Glad to hear Thea does well at daycare. Hopefully we'll all get some more sleep soon!

@travellingbee: How did L do with sleep? Hope it got better?

B is still a totally mess with sleep and his overall mood is crappy. They even resorted to giving him his paci during play time at daycare yesterday (he has one there for naps) because he was crying and in such a bad mood I wish I knew what was up. It surely cannot be the 2yr molars yet right? Getting him to sleep yesterday was terrible. Both DH (he is with us this and last week - thank God) and I had to hold him yesterday (DH had to stroke his cheek) until he fell asleep. By midnight he had moved to our room again... I'm ready for this phase (I hope it is a phase!) to be over. End rant...

3. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: haha, seriously! I don't blame you!!

@Pumuckl: Poor B! I hope whatever is bothering him stops so he can get some sleep and be in a good mood again!!

4. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: It could be the molars. I think with teething you never know. He got all his other teeth really early.

5. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Thanks! I sure hope things will get better soon. I miss my smiley all day, every day, baby! (And super sleeper - thankfully he sleeps mostly just fine once he is in our bed). So it stinks but it could be worse. I'm just hoping we're not setting him up for bad habbits.

@Smurfette: Yeah, I know. I just really wish I knew for certain. I can't see anything though. But it might also explain why he often refuses meals nowadays. Yesterday he went to bed with just his milk! He wouldn't touch anything else.

6. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: So DH had a wisdom tooth pulled last Friday and kept looking in his mouth after eating to make sure no food was back there, but R thought it was awesome to use the flashlight once DH was done. Maybe try that and see if you can see in his mouth.

7. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: We have a guest tonight but I might get a chance to try it tomorrow!

8. Adira

By the way: kissing = totally adorable. Xander has taken to kissing reflections and pictures of himself. Also, I was trying to read him a story with animals and he'd just kiss the animals on each page!

Though he also tried to slobber in my mouth - not a fan. I kept turning to give him my cheek to kiss and he would just laugh and try again!

9. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Pumuckl: I don't even want to think about 2 year molars yet! Hopefully he feels better soon!
    @Adira: Bradley loves to give kisses. My husband thinks its so gross since he basically open mouth kisses me- but i think its so damn cute!

10. Smurfette

@Adira: R hardly gives us kisses anymore. Sad Mama

11. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, Xander hardly gives us kisses either. He's more apt to give his own reflection a kiss. I think he thought it was a fun game to try to kiss me on the mouth and me trying to avoid it though.

12. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Spring mamas, I am having a rough day today. Pete refused to nap at his regularly schedule time (finally sleeping now) so the first half of the day felt like such a struggle. I'm losing the diaper and clothes change battle again, even with all my talking. Plus, I've been feeling overwhelmed with the addition of the second dog. The two dogs got into a tiff this morning when we were about to head out for a walk, and my older, smaller dog tried to bite me when I went to separate them. And then to top it off, we went to play in the yard and I found more poison ivy growing along the driveway. We're going to have to stay out of the yard for about a week until my husband can spray it and pull it all up.

In summary, my household feels like it's spiraling out of control today. Maybe this is the world's way of making me look forward to work again next week?

Also, on that note, we are starting the transition to new daycare tomorrow and I'm definitely feeling emotional about it so that doesn't help.

But Pete's finally napping now. I have a dog trainer scheduled to come tomorrow. I'm sure Pete will grow to love his new daycare eventually. I know these are not major problems and they will all work out, so I'm trying to maintain perspective. Just feeling a bit down today. Thanks for listening to my long vent!

Now onto things that make me smile like, baby kisses!
    @Adira: Totally jealous of the kissing! Pete is so stingy with his kisses these days. I can't even remember the last time he gave anyone a kiss. And happy Xander is feeling better!

@Smurfette: Wow, you might have a nice stretch of time before any more teeth come in! A well-deserved break. R does have one of the cutest smiles with all those pearly whites!

@cheert16: Open mouth kisses! So affectionate!

@Pumuckl: Sorry that B is having a rough week. I hope that whatever is bothering him stops!

13. Adira

@QueensBee: Ugh, I'm sorry! It sounds like you've had a rough day!!! Staying home by myself with Xander is so exhausting, I don't know how you do it WITH dogs!! I'm glad Pete is at least finally taking a nap for you! Hopefully it's a nice LONG one!!!

14. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Thanks. Agh, he's already up after napping for 45 short minutes! Is 2:45pm too early for a glass of wine?

15. Adira

@QueensBee: Nope, definitely not too early!!!

16. Smurfette

@QueensBee: First, 245 is not to early to start drinking. Sorry you are having a rough day. He will adjust to the new day care. It might take a couple weeks but before you know it he will walk in say bye bye and be playing before you walk out the door.

We have poison ivy in our backyard that we need to get rid of too.

17. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Smurfette: It'll be so nice to not have to deal with teething for another 5 years! I can't wait to play tooth fairy once their teeth start falling out.

@Pumuckl: Poor B! I hope he's having a better day today.

@Adira: I loooove J's kisses. Best thing ever. The thing is, he understands when I ask for a kiss and he'll give me like 6 in a row. He copies his sister because that's what she does!

@cheert16: I love love love the open-mouthed kisses. I don't care if it's a drooly mess... I think they're delicious!

@QueensBee: I'm sorry you're having such a rough day!! I hope he takes a good long nap for you this afternoon. I think sometimes transitions are harder on us than on them. I'm sure he'll do great at the new daycare!

J's early morning wake ups are killing me. I can never wake up before him, and it's frustrating. He woke up at 5:30 am again today with a massive poop explosion. Same thing yesterday. When is he going to start consistently sleeping in til 7? Can't wait for that day...

18. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Thanks everyone! Thea finally took a good nap today at daycare, so I'm hopeful that she is turning a corner. Sorry I've been MIA- and sorry for always having to say that! I will try to catch up soon!

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Today at daycare they had a family appreciation bbq. We went and Isaac had juice for the first time. Pretty much because he swiped DH's juice box and wouldn't give it back, it was pretty cute.

@Silva: Good to hear she had a good nap today, hopefully that means a better night sleep.

@Mrs. High Heels: Do they ever start sleeping until 7? That would be amazing. We have a 5:30 kid here, but it works since we have to be out of the house by 6:20.

@QueensBee: Sorry you had a rough day. They always suck. Hopefully tomorrow is a better one.

@Adira: Kisses are so cute. Isaac just blows kisses, rarely to me. Once in a blue moon I can get him to give me a kiss.

@Smurfette: That is awesome that all her teeth are through. Hopefully you get a bit of a break from teething.

@Pumuckl: Hopefully he is back to his happy self soon.

Isaac is screaming in bed for half an hour now. I went and soothed him for a bit but right after I left his room it was back to screaming. He takes a break every couple minutes to yell mama, papa or up. Breaking my heart.

20. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@ALV91711: sorry he's having trouble sleeping. We did discover that if we talk to T through the door it sometimes helps her. I could tell she was having anxiety stuff, so I started saying "night night time, lay down and rest your body" through the door...and she listened! Sometimes I have to sit on the couch (outside her door) and do it for awhile. But lately letting her CIO has been a nightmare, and hearing our voices seems to soothe her a little and help her fall asleep faster.

21. Smurfette

@ALV91711: R was screaming her head off tonight cause I wouldn't let her take the tea pot into the crib. I talked to her through the monitor and it helped calm her down.

22. Mrs. High Heels

Remember when I said the other day that "I love this age too"? Yea, today I take that back. J was tantrumming up a storm because I turned off the spout in the bathtub. We are in a drought, boy! I only let him play in an inch of water... and he was pisssssed. Not to mention he is super clingy.... His favorite word these days is, "no!" accompanied by a head shake. Halp!

23. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: haha! Your post made me LOL. B and I had a "no" match tonight. (I was just copying him, cuz if you can't beat them, join em)!

Also, hi gals! I'm not even going to pretend to catch up at this point, but we completed our international move, so now I have the occasional moment to check in here.

24. Mrs. High Heels

@Baby Boy Mom: Yea, instead of fighting him I just laughed, and started videotaping him! I think he tantrummed for a good 30 minutes, rolling on the ground, kicking his feet in the air, going buck wild! He finally calmed down after I gave him a gummy bear as a peace offering, haha! Congrats on your international move, wow what a feat! I must've missed it, but where did you move to?

25. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: we're back in the US! and having a bit of reverse culture shock..:D

26. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: my LO doesn't understand the drought either. Sorry baby, but you really have to stop washing you hands now.

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Silva: I went back and gave him some Motrin (which got spit back on me) and rubbed his back while he fell asleep. These teeth are driving him and me crazy! I like the talking through the door idea.

@Smurfette: How mean! LOL.

@Mrs. High Heels: Tantrums are the worst. Isaac freaked out at bath time because he just wanted to sit on his potty. The last couple nights before he goes in the tub we have been sitting him on his new potty and apparently he likes it. DH gave him the worlds quickest bath.

@Baby Boy Mom: I totally missed that you were moving. Hope that everything went smoothly. Welcome back to the board!

And now he is awake and whimpering in bed, I'm hoping he goes back to sleep soon so I can go to sleep.

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

My baby is sick and we get on a plane in the morning. No!!!

@QueensBee: Drink that wine!

@Mrs. High Heels: So glad that we have not learnt no yet.

29. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@AprilFool: aww, good luck!

@Mrs. High Heels: LO 2 is stuck on mine, mine, mine but I'm sure no is next. toddlers!

30. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: I videotape R's as well. I like to send to DH so he knows all the fun he is missing. She never throws a tantrum as long and epic for him.
    @Baby Boy Mom: welcome back!
    @ALV91711: poor guy! Hope he got some sleep.
    @AprilFool: I hope she feels better in the morning!

31. Adira

@Silva: No worries about being busy!! I can only keep on track of HB because I do it at work!!

@ALV91711: I hope Isaac wasn't up too much later after you posted and finally fell asleep! Poor baby and mama!

@Mrs. High Heels: Ugh, it was so cute the first day Xander learned how to say "no" correctly and now I'm OVER it!!!! It's always "Nooooooo!!!" followed by a head shake and maybe throwing himself to the floor like a drama queen! Bummer you guys are in a drought though - that totally sucks.

@Baby Boy Mom: Welcome back!!!! Both to the US and the thread, haha!

@AprilFool: Oh no!!! Hopefully it's a short cold and she feels better by your flight!!

32. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: Glad you got your move out of the way and welcome back - good to see you!

@AprilFool: Oh nooooo! Lots of (decongesting) nasal spray for H then... Hope she feels better.

@Smurfette: Hahaha on the tea pot. That's a funny thing to take to bed.

@ALV91711: Sorry about the teeth! Hope you and Isaac soon get some rest.

@Mrs. High Heels: Oh my sounds you had lots of fun with J Isn't it sometimes just the best when they are finally in bed at night? (At least that is how I feel)...

@QueensBee: How did the rest of the day go?

@Silva: Glad Thea is doing well/better at daycare, hope it continues to improve for you guys. CIO does not work with B currently either. He just get SOOOO worked up. And he seems really scared so we just resort to holding him until he sleeps and talking to him a lot. Like T it seems to help him once he feels our touch or hears our voices. (But at night our voices don't seem enough to him).

We had another horrendous night. Oh well, at least he sleeps once he's in our bed. Although DH and I don't because that little guy (nearly 35in tall) manages to basically take up the whole bed... At least he was eating yesterday evening and this morning his mood seemed a little better and he went to daycare without crying. So we'll see - I just hope it's an early 18m regression because I cannot take that again in a mere 1.5 months!

33. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Ack, still in crisis mode over here today! I am attempting to follow my "mommy gut" on two issues: the dog and the daycare.

I made the decision to bring the new dog back to her foster mom today. She's the sweetest animal and deserves better but I feel like I took on too much when I got her. I worry that she'll distract me from watching Pete when we're in the yard, or she'll dart out the front door into the street when I'm fumbling with the stroller. Also, it turns out my husband is allergic to her fur which hasn't helped. I feel like such a scumbag bringing her back but I'm not confident I can keep everyone in my house safe with her here.

Also, Pete's first hour at daycare was a disaster this morning. I really didn't feel comfortable with the teacher in his room. She wasn't negligent or terrible, but just seemed lethargic and disinterested in the five children there. I wondered, "'if this is what it's like when I'm here watching, what is it like when there are no parents in the room?" It just felt depressing. As we left, I called a different daycare which I love and they actually have an opening for Pete on 9/2. It's further away and more expensive but my instinct is telling me to take advantage of the spot. My peace of mind is worth the extra ten minutes in the car each day. I'm going to discuss more with DH tonight, sleep on it, and make final decision tomorrow. Stresssssss!

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@AprilFool: Oh no! Hope the flight was okay, maybe she slept for most of it?

@ALV91711: I can't imagine hearing the cries for mama or papa! I guess that's one time I'm relieved he doesn't say those words often. I hope he fell asleep without too much more fuss.

@Smurfette: @Mrs. High Heels: Haha I have also been known to video tape a tantrum. 30 minutes is pretty long! That kid has stamina! And I love that R wanted to sleep with her tea cup.

@Baby Boy Mom: Welcome back! Hope you're feeling settled in soon!

35. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: wow what a day! I'm sure trusting your instincts is the right thing to do. And taking the dog back when your not comfortable - which she probably sensed - is only fair to her as well. Hugs

36. Adira

@Pumuckl: Ugh, sorry to hear about your rough night!! Hope tonight is better!

@QueensBee: I'm so sorry you had to bring the new dog back! But I think it's smart to listen to your gut and do what's best for your family, even if that's hard. I can only imagine how hard that is to manage a toddler AND dogs!!

Good luck with the conversation about the new daycare! Out of curiosity, do you know if the teacher that was there when you dropped Pete off is the regular teacher? I know when I drop Xander off in the morning, his regular teachers aren't even in yet, so it's someone else entirely who watches the infants/toddlers. I'm curious if maybe that's the case for you and that teacher isn't the normal teacher and maybe isn't interested in toddlers and usually watches older children or something?

37. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Yes, it's definitely the regular teacher. I've met the teachers in the older classrooms and they seem much better, but he won't move up until he turns 3 which feels like a long time away.

38. Adira

@QueensBee: Oh, in that case, I hope you can get your husband on board to make the switch. I wouldn't feel comfortable either sending Xander to a daycare where I felt the teachers weren't really interested in him!

I had a similar fear at my current daycare. The Infant 1 and Infant 2 classes share the same room and all share the same teachers, though one teacher is the primary for the Infant 1s, one teacher is the primary for the Infant 2s, and then one is a floater. When Xander was an Infant 1, I was really nervous about him becoming an Infant 2 because the primary Infant 2 teacher seemed like she really didn't even like children!!! LUCKILY she left before he became an Infant 2 and his new teachers are MUCH better!

39. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: @Adira: @Pumuckl: @QueensBee: Thanks for the warm welcome back! The move was (is) really stressful. Sleep has been a disaster, and we've got our share of teething, tantrums and all that good toddler stuff going on. It's good to see that some of our struggles seem to be par for the course at this age, although not really good, but misery loves company.

40. Adira

@Baby Boy Mom: Misery definitely loves company! Hopefully now that you've moved and are settling in, the whole sleep issue will get better.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee