Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: Oh sorry to hear, that you all have a hard time too. But your right it is very reassuring to read that a lot of us seem to have the same issues around the same time. Being able to talk about it is even more reassuring

2. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: Agree, it's nice to commiserate and feel like all this is normal for the age.

3. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: I totally know what you mean. It's definitely reassuring to read that your LO isn't the only one hitting, teething, cranky, etc! I hope that sleep improves for you guys soon.

On that note, Pete is in a big hitting phase right now. He bats at everything (especially my face, the dog) and says "ow! ow!" while he does it. I feel like a broken record saying, "Gentle hands, please. Gentle hands. GENTLE HANDS!!" Happy to have his daycare teachers help us out with this next week!

We decided that we are going to switch daycares at the last minute. It's going to be a lot more expensive and a longer commute, but I think it's the right place for him at this age. We're going to have to keep a super tight schedule to get everyone to work each morning and stick to a really tight budget, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I really really hope!

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@QueensBee: Uh oh! Xander doesn't hit YET, but I'm sure it's coming! I'm glad you were able to come to an agreement on the daycare situation! I hope this new daycare works out better for you guys!!

5. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@QueensBee: This book has a page about hitting. I really think the no biting books helped R get past it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/044842584X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@Smurfette: Thanks for the rec! Just put that book in our cart.
    @QueensBee: Sometimes I think that B hits us just so that he can make up afterwards

7. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Thanks! Haha I'm sure you'll hear me venting about out it here if it doesn't.

@Smurfette: Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to look for it at the local library!

8. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@QueensBee: J hasn't started hitting yet, but N went through a phase like that. @Smurfette: Thanks for the rec, adding to my wishlist for the future!

9. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

So the flight went pretty good but this is the sickest she has been. We have been so lucky before. She just wanted to snuggle and fell asleep for take off. No crying for landing though she was playing with her ears. She seemed to be feeling better for a bit but last night wasn't great so will see what today brings! She has started refusing any medicine.

@QueensBee: It will be worth it to have Pete in a good place.

10. Adira

@AprilFool: Glad the flight went well, but I'm sorry to hear about how sick she is. Sick babies are so sad. I really hope she feels better soon!

11. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: Yes they are so sad. So hard to see her like this., just wish I could do more to help her.

12. Adira

@AprilFool:

13. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@AprilFool: I hope she feels better soon

@QueensBee: the only thing getting us through this rocky transition has been knowing that we can really trust his provider. I adore her, and she is really great (well, when I see her) with T. Its really reassuring, and makes me feel like maybe I'm not doing the worst thing ever to my child, who cries like I'm sending her off to be killed every time I leave her there.
    So- I think going with whatever feels like the best place to you will be worth the sacrifices in the end. Even if its just peace of mind.

14. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

oh, and T tries to hit when she feels frustrated. I just try to say "ouch, that hurts mama, can you show me your gentle hands?" or I set her down (if I'm too frustrated to be calm).
    I have minimal success, but I'm hopeful

15. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Haha, Xander's so mellow! He will probably never hit. I wish he could post some youtube videos for the other babies on how to be an easy child.

@AprilFool: Thanks. I hope she's feeling better today. Is it fever, congestion, or tummy troubles? Or something else?

@Silva: Thanks, that reminder really helped. I know I'll be leaving him at a bright, cheery, warm place with teachers who have the same parenting/education philosophies as me. And there's nothing that would be a better use of my money or time than that, right? (I hope!)

16. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@QueensBee: I think those are really important things, and absolutely worth it. We drive further and pay a bit more for the spot we are at, and I'm so, so, so glad we made the choice we did,

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Sounds like you have made a good choice in switching daycares. I think it is worth the money and time to have our kids somewhere that they are well taken care of.

I love where Isaac goes and all the teachers from every room seem to love him. They are always very engaged with the kids and loving towards them all which is awesome.

@Adira: Xander will probably never hit, bite, pinch. He seems like he is too easy going for that. Although it may change once he has his brother, but hopefully not.

@Smurfette: Looks like that is a good book for little one's. I'll have to keep it in mind.

@AprilFool: Glad you had a good flight. Hopefully she is feeling better really soon.

@Silva: Hopefully she will stop crying at drop off soon. The last two days Isaac cried when I left and it broke my heart, he stopped crying in the morning after a few weeks.

18. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@ALV91711: oh man, it is heartbreaking to just walk away when they cry like that, isn't it? oof. I think about it all day

19. Adira

@QueensBee: haha, his videos would probably go something like this: "Step 1, if you're tired, take a nap!" because he's a very good sleeper and maybe that's why he's so mellow?? Who knows! I think I just got REALLY lucky and I'm scared #2 will be the terror of the family!

@ALV91711: I didn't even think of that, but you're totally right. Once baby #2 is here, he might get jealous and/or insecure and start acting out. Ugh!

20. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thanks for all the support! I really feel like we made the right decision and I'm actually excited for him to get started there! The new daycare happens to be a Montessori school. We didn't seek out Montessori but now that he's starting at one, I've really enjoyed reading up on their philosophies and practices.

Pete finally started using "Mama" in context today. Until today, he would say the word only when I prompted him. This afternoon, he was playing in a different room and kept calling for me. "Mama, mama!" Heart melt.

@Adira: Haha I'm excited and curious for your #2 (and for all the other pregnant moms on this board)! What will his personality be like? I hope you'll keep us updated on this thread about him too!

21. Adira

@QueensBee: YAY for saying Mama!!!! I LOVE that!!! I miss Xander saying Mama and hope he doesn't keep up the strike for much longer. As for baby #2, I'm sure I'll definitely tell you guys all about him! I'm curious if he ends up having a similar personality to Xander or something completely different!

22. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@QueensBee: Fever, congestion and a cough.

So we are home! She is feeling much better, although the cough is still quite nasty. We had 2 very rough nights while away so not much sleep. The second night was the worst! She woke at 10:30 inconsolable and then at 2:30 and didn't go back down till after 5. Luckily my mum and dad were here last night since they house sat for us and they handled the one wakeup we had so I got a full nights sleep. I didn't even hear her wake up! Oops!

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

No nap today! I am soooo exhausted. I tried to put him down but he was in such a happy and playful mood. We all went out this afternoon and he slept about 15 min in the car and that was it. By bedtime he was in meltdown mode. I'm hoping it means a really good sleep tonight, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My mom has told me she had to stop napping me at 18 months to get me to sleep through the night and said how exhausting it was and now I know what she means.

@Silva: When I leave and he is crying I always wonder if he is having a good day. Makes me sad but he is always happy when I pick him up. Another mom told me the other day how happy he is every time she is there getting her son and that made me feel good.

@QueensBee: So awesome that he is finally saying mama!! I hope that he does really good at this new daycare.

@Adira: I look forward to hearing all about your new LO when he arrives.

@AprilFool: That is good that you were able to get a full nights sleep. You must have been tired if you didn't even hear her.

24. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@ALV91711: she is definitely happy when I pick her up. She shows me all her toys and friends. Pretty cute!

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Silva: So cute!

In the last few days Isaac has started to nod his head yes. It is so adorable and also so helpful. When we asks if he wants something he now can respond yes or no.

We went to the library today for the first time. Isaac loved it. We were even there for story time, which I didn't know was happening. Isaac got a library card and with that a free board book which he picked. He also checked out three books. I plan on taking him every 2-3 weeks to get a few new books.

26. Adira

@AprilFool: How is she feeling today?

@ALV91711: Ahhh!!! Head nodding!!! Xander CAN do it, but it takes prompting to get him to. His go to is still a head shake and I'm always like "Do you REALLY mean no...?" And that's awesome about the library!!! I need to take Xander to ours!!

So my brother came over on Saturday to catch up on some TV and hang out with us. And then he offered to stay and "watch" Xander after we put him to bed so Hubs and I could go see Guardians of the Galaxy! So nice of him!!! And SUCH a good movie!!!

27. Smurfette

@QueensBee: R was hitting me all weekend. Not DH just me. I would tell her no, and she would laugh. Stinker. When does P start the new day care?
    @ALV91711: We still need to go to the library. They aren't open in the mornings on the weekends. I forget about going Sat afternoons. Hopefully soon!
    @Adira: Fun! My cousin watched R and my nephews at our house Sat night while we went to dinner with my parents and siblings. They had a blast together. They are 4 and 6 and are so great with her. She was confused as to why they took a bath with her though!

28. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh fun!!! That's funny about the bath though! At least she didn't freak out though and was just confused. I hope you had a fun dinner with your parents and siblings!

29. Smurfette

@Adira: My cousin said that she told the boys to sit angled so R wouldn't try and pull anything, ha!!

30. Adira

@Smurfette: hahahaha, wise choice!!

31. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: Glad you ladies got to enjoy some date nights this weekend! And so funny about that bath!

@ALV91711: Love that Isaac enjoys the library. B still doesn't really sit through a book yet so I'm always thinking what's the point of getting new books when he doesn't even listen to the ones we have. Love the nodding. B has been nodding and saying "yes" for a couple of weeks now and it's just so amazing about how easier life has gotten.

@Silva: So sweet she is showing you all the toys and her friends.

We actually had a good night today for the first time in weeks. B slept solidly from 7:30pm to 7:30am without a peep. Hope it continues like that...

32. Adira

@Pumuckl: 12 hours without a peep?!? That's awesome!!!!

33. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Yup, I was totally astonished to be first woken by my alarm.

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@AprilFool: so nice that you had mom and dad to help! Hope she's starting feel better!

@ALV91711: I feel like Isaac is literally learning new things each day! Must be so exciting to see him do all these new skills and experiences right now!
    We really used the library a lot this summer. It's air conditioned, kid friendly, close by, and FREE! The best!

@Silva: awe I hope Pete acts like that when I pick him up for the new daycare.

@Smurfette: Such a fun family day for everyone! Haha I love that strategy for protecting the boy parts in the bath! Pete starts new daycare on Tuesday for one hour, half day next Wed and full day on Thursday. This week we have him at old daycare and a kind friend is babysitting too since I started work today. Plus, we are leaving him with my parents for 4 days to go to Cali this weekend. Poor kid isn't going to know which way is up with all the changes this week! I can't wait to be home from trip and settled into new daycare.

@Pumuckl: You must be feeling a bit rested finally! 12 hours is great!!

@Adira: So awesome that you got out for a date movie! I bet that was a fun surprise!

35. Adira

Ugh, I got frustrated with Xander and had to put myself in Mommy timeout. I hate feeling like that.

36. Smurfette

@QueensBee: fingers crossed for it all! Jealous of 4 days away drinking wine!
    @Adira: been there many of time. Hugs!

37. Adira

@Smurfette: Thanks. It definitely helps knowing others have gotten that frustrated before. Hopefully tomorrow's a better day.

38. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

LO is at grandma & grandpa's house and I have three toddler-free nights with DH. I don't even know what to do with myself. Just kidding, I totally do. I'm going to miss LO though.

39. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Yes, we've all been there before! Hugs. You're so wise to give yourself a few moments of a timeout to regroup.

One of the teachers I used to work with did that in her own classroom. If she ever felt herself losing her temper, she sat in the classroom timeout chair to take a few minutes to breathe. I think it set a nice example for the students that even grownups can start to lose their cool, it's normal to have those feelings, and the best thing to do is take a moment to yourself. So maybe instead of feeling crummy about it, try to think of it as setting a positive example for Xander?

@Smurfette: Thanks!! My fingers are crossed for it all to come together too!!

I'd be more excited for Sonoma this weekend if there hadn't been a big earthquake there this weekend. Just my luck! I'm sure it will still be a lovely getaway though. There must a few bottles of wine that weren't broken, right?

40. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Corduroy: Have fun and enjoy every moment!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee