Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Isaac can use a spoon himself for yogurt and the other morning he did a bit of cheerios but usually I have to scoop and give him the spoon and most of the time it is upside down by the time it gets to his mouth. With a fork he can do it, but he usually uses his hands too if he's having a hard time. To help him out I will hold his hand and guide it to stab the food.

@blackbird: I hope sleep gets better for you soon. Sleep has been hit or miss lately, mostly being a miss with multiple teeth coming in. Once this is done we are re sleep training.

@Pumuckl: Poor guy with all the bumps. It is amazing how clumsy they are sometimes.

@Adira: We use a fluoride free one too, although not much teeth brushing has happened the last couple weeks. That is exciting that you will be saving a bit a money. When Isaac moves to the toddler room in about a month the monthly rate goes down about $150 I think.

Smurfette: So cute that she passed out with her sippy cup.

My poor little monkey had a fever again tonight. He seemed kind of tired when I got him from daycare and I got him home and he was just really cuddly. He only ate a couple bites of dinner and we got him ready for bed early. I could see a top molar has broken through and a top canine. I'm hoping the fever goes away by morning so he can go to daycare. If not him and DH are staying home for the day.

2. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@ALV91711: that's exactly what we do! I know exactly what you mean by the spoon ending up upside down in his mouth haha. Aww I hope Isaac is all better by morning. Is it a low grade fever? Maybe it's teething related?

3. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: oh no, hope he feels better this morning.

@Mrs. High Heels: oh yes, B's spoon is a little twisted sometimes too. It has gotten better and I have noticed that it is very correlated to the spoon he uses. Generally the smaller, the better. B really enjoys mashed potatoes so that might be something to try as well.

@Adira: just read your response on the dairy free food thread and didn't want to thread jack but wow Xander's food palette is getting so big! Amazing and yeah! And don't be scared of the toddler room. Our daycare has all the kids on the little tables and chairs and there is always at least one teacher sitting with them at each table to monitor what's going on

We had a pretty good night. Only one crying episode of about 5' and that was it. and I got him out of the house today with no additional eggs

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Saving $150/month will be amazing!!! I'm only saving $20/month, haha.

Poor little guy! Sorry to hear about the fever! I hope he slept okay and is feeling better today.

@Pumuckl: Thank you!! Yes, he eats sooooooo well at daycare!! He's still pretty picky at home and will only eat sausage as his protein and carrots as his veggie, but we're definitely getting there! And thanks for the reassurance about the Toddler Room. I think I'm going to just go in there today and ask them about it. I know Xander ate lunch there yesterday and he was apparently fine and everyone is aware of his allergies. I'm just nervous because I'm comfortable with his current teachers!

5. Adira

Spent the day painting the first coat in Xander's new room! It's looking BOLD!

6. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@mrs high heels-e really hasn't had bad regressions either but this one is wtf! and we didn't do anything special with utensils. She did like to stab things a lot and play with then but she got adept just by screwing around with it

@pumckl-uggggh. I hope it's only another week or two. I am worried for when the pregnancy exhaustion kicks in. Right now DH and I trade nights so we are tired but doing ok....but now have lost my caffeine crutch! And in about two weeks, I'm gonna be spent.

7. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@blackbird: congrats on baby 2! April and May...how awesome!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

8. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@blackbird: whatttt did I miss a baby announcement?!! Congrats on baby #2!!!!

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Yes, the fever seems to be teething related. He stayed home with dad today and apparently spent most of the day searching the house for me.

@Pumuckl: Sounds like sleep is greatly improving. We are going to have to re-sleep train once these teeth are in.

@Adira: That looks good. When are you planning on moving his room? Is he going to be in a toddler bed when he moves?

@blackbird: I missed that announcement, congrats!!

I'm so looking forward to this three day weekend. Does anyone have any plans. We are going to hang around home and play in the yard. Hopefully he'll get to play with some of the neighbours.

10. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@ALV91711: I'm taking LO 1 to gymnastics tomorrow morning and we are going to the kids museum after that....no plans for the rest of the weekend!

11. Adira

@blackbird: How did I miss you were pregnant??? Congratulations!!!

@ALV91711: I'm not sure yet! We have to do one more coat of paint and then I still need to order his new dresser, but once that's here and setup, we can move his crib in the new room and his other items. We're planning on keeping him in his crib (and thus contained) for as long as possible!

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I agree with using the crib as long as possible! I can't imagine them being able to get out of bed themselves.

@autumnlove: That sounds like a fun day.

13. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: looks good!
    @blackbird: Congrats again friend!
    @ALV91711: we have a double date with our neighbors tonight to watch FSU play. They always use a teacher from day care so she is going to watch both girls at our house. Splitting the cost, score! Then Monday we are having 4 families from the neighborhood over for a cookout. Enjoying having DH home for so long.

2nd morning in a row that R slept till 745!! Almost 12 hours last night!

14. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

Thanks!! And yep I'm due may 9!

15. Adira

@blackbird: That's awesome! Congrats again!!

So the gathering with the in-laws went pretty well. Everyone seemed to get along and both SMIL and I just pretended the whole situation that happened on Father's Day had never even happened. But she did spend half the time we were together just talking about SIL's kids who she's seen a million times this summer. And she spent pretty much ZERO time even trying to interact with Xander. I kept trying to initiate interactions with her so he could warm up with her, but she just didn't seem interested and Xander seemed wary of her, so it just never happened. I think she's just written him off as a grandchild and is not taking any interest in him anymore. FIL wasn't like that though - he kept trying to play with Xander and get him to warm up to him, so I appreciated that at least!

16. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@blackbird: Congrats on #2! So exciting... How did your resent nights go? Ours were mixed. Really looking forward to all of the craziness stopping. Last night he was up for over an hour during the night and then slept until 9:30 am!

@Smurfette: sounds like a fun weekend! And yay on the great sleep!

@Adira: glad grandpa took lots of interest in Xander.

@ALV91711: no long weekend for us so our weekend's practically over already it was raining cats and dogs today so not much to do but hang around at home...

17. Smurfette

@Adira: that's hard. Sorry! I feel the same. ILs live 20 mins from our nephews and see them once a week. They haven't seen R since April, when they stopped over cause were in town for something else, for 3 hours. They were going to come visit a couple weekends ago but FIL got sick. Now it is football season so that takes up their weekends.

Well I jinxed it, R woke up before 7, but laid down and played till 745. The teacher that babysat said she did great last night. Went to sleep within 5 mins.

18. Adira

@Smurfette: Ugh, that sucks. I guess grandparents always just favor whoever they see more often? Which sucks.

That's awesome she did so well with the teacher! And even though she woke up early, it's awesome she was willing to just play for a while!

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm glad that at least your FIL interacted with X. It is too bad about your SMIL. It is so unfair when they favour certain grandchildren, they should all be special.

@Pumuckl: I'm not looking forward to fall and being stuck inside because of weather. Isaac loves going outside and it is supposed to be a long, harsh winter.

@Smurfette: Sounds like a fun night out. That is good that you shared a babysitter and she went down easy. I wish Isaac would just play in his bed when he woke up instead of screaming.

Well, Isaac's fever and crankiness are well explained. He has four teeth that have cut through in the last four days. It sucks but I guess on the bright side there are only two more and it looks like they won't be far behind.

20. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

Sounds like some of you are going through something similar to Us. We are in the mother of all sleep regressions and trying to re-train. It's miserable. He's having terrible attachment issues- I can't go to the bathroom without him right now. And we start school tomorrow sigh

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: We are going through the attachment right now pretty badly too. It makes it hard to do anything because he wants me to either be holding him or sitting on me.

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi everyone!
    We are mid-flight home from our trip to California. Although I loved the toddler-free vacation lifestyle for a few days, I cannot wait to see Pete when we land!!

@Adira: I love the color of Xander's new room! A beautiful blue! And sorry to hear that SMIL ignored him most the day. You were the bigger person for actively trying to move past the confrontation but i guess there's only so much you can you do. Maybe their relationship will grow slowly over time?

@blackbird: Congratulations!!!!! How are you feeling?

@travellingbee: Oh no, that sounds really rough! Do you think being a teacher home for the summer made it worse than usual? Pete is starting at school tomorrow too and I worry we may be in the same boat soon. I hope it gets better quickly for you!

@ALV91711: You can see the light at the end of the teething tunnel! Way to stay positive! Good luck.

23. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: I can only imagine how much you much you miss your little dude.

@ALV91711: @travellingbee: yeah lots of not letting me get out of the room at night here too. But it seems to be getting better *FX it stays that way*

@ALV91711: yeah, this Sunday was like a preview of what's laying ahead for us. Not so nice...

Today was B's first day at the remodeled daycare. It was a construction site for the last 3 weeks, so everyone's glad it's over. B's group was reorganized and split in two groups. Now there's only 8 or 9 kids. It seems as though he likes it since he had a 2h nap today at daycare which didn't really ever happen before.

24. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

I have a question for you guys:
    We'll travel to the US next week and diaper sizes are different from here. We use Pampers diapers here and probably will do the same once there.

B's about 30lbs. and 35in. I'd guess he should be good in size 5s? Anybody any idea whether that's about accurate?
    Thank you so much!

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: You're right, I think that's technically a size 5 here. My son is a bit smaller and he uses size 5 during the day and size 6 at night but we use a different brand.

Where will you be staying in US?

26. Adira

@ALV91711: Holy smokes! Four teeth at the same time! That's rough!!

@travellingbee: I can never go to the bathroom without Xander either. Now I just announce it and he runs to the bathroom to join me. Even when Hubs is around, he wants to follow me to the bathroom. But he's okay at daycare all day, so hopefully you guys will be okay.

@QueensBee: Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that SMIL just gets over herself. But whatever. Xander has my parents who love him to death, so at least he has one set of grandparents that will shower him with love and attention!

@Pumuckl: 2 hour nap at daycare is awesome!!

@Pumuckl: @QueensBee: You ladies are making me think Xander's such a peanut!! He's still in size 3 diapers and size 4 at night!!

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Glad you enjoyed your trip. I bet Pete was excited to see you guys.

@Pumuckl: Glad he had a good nap, hope he keeps it up for you. Size 5 sounds right for diapers.

@Adira: It is rare for me to ever have the bathroom to myself. Isaac is in and out of there while I shower and most of the time follows me in there.

Today I was upstairs cleaning and Isaac was downstairs playing with dad. Every few minutes I would here him say mama, like it was a question. Then I heard DH take him from room to room to look for me. It was adorable.

28. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: @ALV91711: Thanks for weighing in on the diaper issue. We're flying to and from Charlotte and are heading out to the coast from there.

@Adira: When we were in the States last summer B was in size 3 diapers. I guess our kiddos are just on opposite ends of the growth charts

29. Adira

@ALV91711: OMG, that is so cute how Isaac was looking for you!!!

30. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: This reminds me of the story that DH told me yesterday. He changed days this week and was here on Monday instead of Friday and picked B up from daycare. I took the opportunity to work a little longer. Once they got home B was running through our appartment looking for me shouting "mama, mama" into every room. When he hadn't found me he went and got his lovey and paci instead... Be still my heart.

31. Adira

Ugh, I'm not a fan of the Toddler info sheet. I can't make heads or tales of what he ate today. The Infant info sheet had places for them to fill in what he ate all during the day, but the Toddler sheet just says:

Morning Snack _______
    I ate All Most Some None of my lunch
    Afternoon Snack _______

But then there are notes like all over the place, but definitely not enough food for the day, so I'm not sure what he actually had when. But for dinner, he was STARVING. He ate 50% more than normal! So now I'm wondering if they didn't feed him something he normally has or what?? Ugh.

32. Smurfette

@Adira: we have choices: Great Not So Great Nothing. Then they circle one for morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack. I usually just ask the teacher what did and didn't she eat. Was this his first day? He might have just been checking everything out and didn't eat. Is it the same food? I am sure in a week it will be normal.

33. Adira

@Smurfette: Do they write down what they actually had for lunch/snacks or just whether they ate it or not? The daycare provides the food for the most part, so the Infant room always wrote down what he ate. This was his first day in the Toddler room, but it should be all the same food. And they don't write down how much milk he had either anymore, bleh.

34. Smurfette

@Adira: We get the months menu at the first of the month. For both lunch and both snacks. Then usually they circle great for all meals. But if I ask what she ate then they will tell me. So great might be all the nuggets and fruit but no veggies. They don't write down milk. But I am not worried about that. They only serve with lunch so I know R drinks it.

35. Adira

@Smurfette: We get the menu too, but I cross off half the things because they contain dairy and then I send an optional lunch in case he can't/won't eat what they're serving. I think they actually gave him his spare lunch as his snack, but I can't really tell based on the sheet.

Does R have breakfast before she goes to daycare? The infant room would feed Xander breakfast for us, but the toddler room has set times for morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack, so I don't know that they do breakfast. What do you guys normally do?

36. Smurfette

@Adira: They don't provide breakfast. So she eats at home if we have time or I send it. She is in another room from 715-800 when her one of her teachers gets in(they switch off who has the am shift). So she eats there. Just talk to the teachers about it. I am sure they can write down more if you ask.

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: That is so cute that he looked for you. I love when he is calling for me, except that now he won't have a bath with DH unless I am right near by.

@Adira: Our sheet says for breakfast I had: etc. They fill in what he ate. Either what he had that daycare served or they just write own food. I don't know if it will be the same when he moves to the toddler room later this month. The teachers will usually tell me if he loved something or if he isn't liking something I send. If they don't I will ask. I think you just need to talk to them and find out what he is eating and really how much.

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Also, daycare does breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack. Isaac eats breakfast at home and then breakfast at daycare is his morning snack. His breakfast at home is usually a banana and milk, then daycare breakfast is something like cereal, toast, bagels. And if for some reason he doesn't eat at home then I send it with him and they feed him first thing.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Yesterday we had the most crazy meltdown at dinner. I was warming it up and he stared asking for a cookie. I told him it was time for dinner and after he ate he could have a cookie. He stared crying big fat tears and saying cookie in the most sad little voice. After a few minutes he calmed down and ate dinner and by the time he was done forgot all about wanting a cookie.

40. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Daycare here does breakfast which the kids can participate in but don't have to. B mostly has breakfast at home with me but sometimes he'll want more so he has a second breakfast at daycare. They then have a midmorning fruit snack (9:30/10am), lunch (provided by daycare; always carbs, protein and veggies), after nap snack which is different every day (i.e. veggies with a dip). They have a chart where it says how the kids ate that day (smiley faces). If I wan't to know more (I hardly ever do because I know he eats just fine) they'll tell me when I ask. They don't get milk at all at daycare. But then I think that overall we give the kids less milk in Germany than you guys do in the US. B has two sippy cups of milk a day which gets him to about 16-20oz (0.5-0.6 liters) a day (I might be wrong here!). It's water for the rest of the day.

@ALV91711: Ahh I hate the pre-dinner meltdowns when they happen. Glad he still decided to have his dinner though. Bummer about having to be around for bathtime. It's probably just another phase though and "this too shall pass".

B sleep has been getting better every day. Yesterday he even went down drowsy but awake and then slept for the rest of the night. This morning he wasn't even crying when he woke up - he was quietly playing in his crib.

@blackbird: How's E sleeping these days? Any improvement?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee