Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: Thanks for the info! I sent in a note today asking about breakfast because I guess his main teacher is there from 7:00 to 3:30, so I'll never see her.

@ALV91711: Thanks for the info! I may need to start sending breakfast with Xander. The infant room would just feed him stuff, but not sure about the toddler room. And I doubt Hubs is going to get up earlier to feed him breakfast at home, haha. My only issue is that his main teacher isn't there when I pick-up and the woman I talk to starts at 3:30, so she has no idea what he actually ate or anything. Ugh!

Sorry about your dinner meltdown! Those are the worst to me!! I just can't handle them!! The same thing happened to us the other day - Xander wanted crackers and I said no, he could have them after dinner, and cue the meltdown!

@Pumuckl: 16-20 oz actually sounds like the normal amount of milk! Our pediatrician said she wanted Xander to have 16-24 oz. But I get the impression that the milk they serve at daycare is only about 3-4 oz a cup, so even if he gets it three times at daycare, that's only 9-12 oz. And then he'll drink another 3-4 oz at home, so he's barely hitting the minimum recommendation as it is.

That's awesome about B's sleep getting better!! And yay for playing in the his crib after waking up. Does he have toys in there? Xander likes to play in his crib, but he'll cry until we come in and give him something to play with because the only thing he currently has in his crib are his blankets.

2. Adira

Oh my gosh girls, I went to bed last night and could not stop crying about Xander's transition to the Toddler Room!!! I just feel so SAD about him not being in his familiar room with his familiar teachers anymore! Is this normal FTM feelings or have pregnancy hormones taken over??

3. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: Can't DH ask the teacher in the morning since he does drop off and sees her? Also don't you send his hemp milk? Just send a bigger sippy so he gets more in during the day.
    I was excited about R moving rooms, but she had outgrown the infant room and was bored. But it is sad cause they are growing up so fast. At least you have another baby to do it all again with. This might be it for us and I am wishing time would slow down.

@ALV91711: Tantrums are so frustrating. Especially when they forget what it all about 5 mins later.

@Pumuckl: Glad his sleep is getting better!

4. Adira

@Smurfette: hahaha, I can't trust Hubs to remember to ask anyone anything! And even if he remembered to ask, he might not remember the answer by the time he gets home! I do send hemp milk, but I know the sippies they have there are big enough. They could easily fit 8 oz. They just only fill them halfway! I don't know why.

I was originally excited about Xander moving, but last night I just felt so sad! Could be my hormones going nuts. I wonder if I'll feel sadder when baby #2 goes through these transitions since he'll be my last. Time needs to just slow down for all of us! You find out about your DH's raise in October though, right? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it's a decent one so your decision to be one and done or not won't be so financially limited!

5. Smurfette

@Adira: Just ask them to fill his cup full for lunch. I would just send a note if you don't trust DH to ask. Which he needs to step it up and ask these things for you!
    There is no way that his raise will be good enough to cover $1500 a month in day care. He got the promotion, but he isn't expecting that much. We find out sometime this month. I think if we have another R will be 4.5 before #2 is born, so she will be in pre-K which is free. But now sure I want to be 38/39 pregnant and with a newborn. DH still is leaning towards one and done regardless. We tabled the issue till her bday.

6. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, I often send notes. I'll have to do that again. Though I also send yogurt for Xander everyday, so he gets another 6oz of "dairy" that way at least.

Congrats on his promotion!! But yeah, $1500/month for daycare is so expensive. Such a bummer. Hopefully he still gets a decent amount though. Do you get a raise every year at all? Maybe between the two of you in the next year or so, you'll be making a decent amount. Who knows though. Dealing with finances is so hard.

7. Smurfette

@Adira: ha, mine is like 2-3% at most. So doesn't even cover the day care increase a year. It was 4% this year. We just live in the city, so it is so expensive. But we love our area and house, so we don't want to move. I am not going to worry about it right now. I am not ready to have another even if we could afford it.

8. Adira

@Smurfette: That is the bonus to living in the 'burbs. Things are quite as expensive for us and our daycare is relatively inexpensive, compared to many of them in our area. City living is so expensive. And the closer you get to the city, the more expensive things are. We noticed that when we were originally apartment hunting. Just looking at apartments in the same city, the closer we got to Boston, the more expensive everything was.

I was thinking about this this morning, but I hope we're all still friends when our kids are actually starting elementary school. I don't want to go through that alone, haha. I know I'm going to be emotional!!

9. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Ah ok, I was just wondering since your kids all seem to have milk with all meals. B only gets a sippy of milk with breakfast and after dinner.
    With you being sad: I'm starting to get the same sentiments like "he won't be my little one/baby anymore". Makes me so sad... I just hug him a little closer when it overcomes me (and he still up ). So maybe it's just crazy hormones...

@Smurfette: Also keeping my FX that the raise those help at least a decent amount.

10. Adira

@Pumuckl: I totally wanted to just hug Xander last night, but he was already asleep!! I ended up staring creepily at the video monitor, haha.

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Same crazy thing happened to me yesterday. I had just put him to bed like a minute ago and was suddenly feeling all sentimental. I withstood my urge to hug him though and just stared at him instead.

12. Adira

@Pumuckl: hahaha. I remember when he was still a little baby, I used to look forward to him going to bed for the night so I'd have a little break, but then as soon as he was in bed, I missed him and just wanted to snuggle!!

13. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@Adira: I hope he has a good day!

@Smurfette: Congrats!

@Pumuckl: I've been feeling sentimental too! I found our Flip video camera and watched a video of LO 2 right after her birth....she was so small!

14. Adira

@autumnlove: Thanks! He moved to the Toddler room with two of his friends, so I'm sure he's fine! I'm just being an overly anxious mom!!

15. autumnlove

@Adira: I felt the same way last month!

16. Adira

@autumnlove: haha, good! As long as these feelings are normal!!

17. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi everyone! I just left Pete for his first half day at new daycare. I love it there so much, I'm so happy we made the decision to switch. Thanks for all the advice and reminders that his childcare is the most important thing!

I hope to catch up on the thread later today. Work has been crazy as I try to get everything done before the children arrive tomorrow. But I will quickly add that I get super sentimental and sappy about these growing LOs too!! Happy Hump Day!

18. Adira

@QueensBee: Yay!! So glad you're feeling positive after dropping Pete off!! That's a sign of a good daycare!!! I hope he has a good day!

19. Smurfette

@QueensBee: yay!!!

20. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: Yay for being happy with your daycare!!!

@Adira: I totally forgot to answer your question about the toys in bed. He doesn't really have any in his bed but today he "stole" the thermometer from the dresser behind his bed and "played" with that. I've thought about putting a book and maybe a stuffed animal up there that he can grab in the mornings.

@autumnlove: @QueensBee: So glad there is more of us sentimental mamas here

21. autumnlove

@QueensBee: Awesome!

22. Adira

@Pumuckl: OMG, Xander is obsessed with his thermometer. He loves playing with it! He's going to kill the batteries, haha. I wonder if I put a book or toy in his crib, if he'd be able to entertain himself in the morning...

23. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: B has 2 stuffed animals he sleeps with (a curious George and a baby pooh bear) He plays with them in the morning and talks to them so I can take a shower before going in to get him!

24. Adira

@cheert16: Grrr, Xander doesn't seem interested in stuffed animals, darn it!

25. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: maybe a book? he can flip it (I actually might put one in B's bed tonight!)

Question- DH was asking me when we can switch LO from whole milk to like 2% or 1%- and I thought 2- but didn't know for sure. I think DH is annoyed that I buy 2 different milks (one that I and he use and one for B)

26. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@cheert16: I think the recommendation is not before 2. For us we usually all just use WCM instead of the 1.5% before we had LO. I don't have that much of a milk intake that it would matter calorie wise and I actually like the 3.5% taste better.
    There are a couple of threads on this too though:
    http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/when-can-we-switch-from-wholehomo-milk#post-1715324
    http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/when-did-you-switch-from-whole-milk-to-2#post-1245803

27. Adira

@cheert16: That's a good idea. I should try that!

I think I've heard you can switch them off whole milk at 2. Maybe ask at your next pediatrician appointment though.

28. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Pumuckl: Yeah I told DH I thought it was 2. Ill have to tell him the Hellebee ladies said it was 2 so we have to stick to that!

29. Smurfette

@cheert16: yeah I think it is 2.
    @Adira: We started giving R a bunny after Easter. It took months before she grew attached to it. Now we put her in the crib and she immediately puts her arm around it. Usually naps she sleeps the whole time holding it. We also have this monkey in the crib. We press the belly when we leave her and it plays music. She will play with it when she first wakes now that she knows how to turn it on.
    http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-snugamonkey-sleepytime-plush-baby-toy/-/A-14050178

30. Adira

@Smurfette: That is so cute!! Maybe I should just start giving him a stuffed animal and see if he eventually grows attached to it. I'd love to see him snuggling something other than his blankets. Although the good thing about his blankets are they are easily replaceable!

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I think it is a FTM thing, I've been getting emotional over his move to the toddler room and I'm definitely not pregnant. It just seems they are growing way too fast. I'd ask the teachers at your daycare to fill his cup with more than 4oz.

@Smurfette: It is good you have a game plan in place for a discussion to happen for #2. We flip flop around but I think at 2 is when we will make our decision as well.

@QueensBee: I hope the first day at daycare went great. Hope you have a good first day back with all the kids tomorrow.

@Adira: Isaac is just getting interested in stuffed animals. We unpacked some this weekend and there are two little penguins and he has decided that they go in his crib as he keeps putting them back in there when he is done with them. He also has scout the dog in there and his glow worm. But he does not entertain himself in the morning.

@cheert16: You are lucky that you have enough time after he wakes up to shower before he wants out of bed. From what I know you can switch milk at 2. I find it annoying buying two types of milk sometimes, but we do drink the whole milk sometimes just so it doesn't go to waste.

32. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thanks for all the well wishes today! My mom picked Pete up at noon and the director of the daycare said he was the "happiest baby she's ever seen!" I'm quite sure that's an exaggeration but hey, I'll take it! My mom also said that he gave her a hug hello, but then went back to playing, so it seemed like he would have been quite content to stay there longer than a half day. I really hope tomorrow goes as well as today.

@Smurfette: Congrats on DH's promotion! I hope it's a big one!! I think you guys are so smart to put off the discussion for a while since you're not feeling ready for pregnancy #2 right now. You could drive yourself nuts weighing out all the pros and cons each day!

@Adira: How did the toddler room go today? Did he appear to eat more? It's so crazy that they're moving up rooms already. And I also hope we'll still be on HB when they start real school so we can be sappy together on the night before Kindergarten!

@cheert16: I've also heard to switch milk at age 2 . However, both daycares we enrolled in have mealplans that only include 2% milk for the 18 month old kids. We can't afford the mealplan at his new place, so I'll continue to send in whole milk, but I thought it was odd that they would serve 2%. So maybe check with the ped if you want to start earlier than 2?

@Pumuckl: Hope the sleep continues to improve!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Glad he liked it so much, I hope that it continues.

34. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

I'm behind as always on this thread. LO thoroughly enjoyed her ten days at grandma & grandpa's. We survived the flights (including lost luggage). She got four molars in the three days I was gone - good timing on my part.

LO is all about stuffed animals now. She has four "babies" that she keeps track of at all times. "Monkey baby", "doggy baby", and two baby dolls. When I picked her up from daycare today she was holding a baby doll and a teddy bear. It melts my heart.

35. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Hi ladies! Popping in to just say Hi and catch up a bit on reading and an update on Kaitlyn.

@Corduroy: You are so lucky you missed the molars days! It's brutal I tell ya! Argh!

We also survived our first mommy & daughter trip away from DH for 2 weeks! A 14hr and a 12hr flight each way. The day we left, K got the highest fever to date: 103.5 F. We literally woke up, rushed to the doctors, grabbed luggage, and drove to the airport. The doc said it was too high to be related to teething, but she was ALSO teething 4 molars! I was THAT parent/baby on the flight. Loud, screaming, arching back, inconsolable baby on and off throughout the flight. The doc told me to give her Motrin/Tylenol every 3 hours and Benedryl if needed. Oh my, it was a brutal flight to say the least and her bottom two molars literally broke through the gums during the flight. She had a fever on/off for about 4 days. 1 week for jet lag. Extreme heat. Signs of "terrible twos." Ugh. I probably wouldn't advise anyone to travel with a LO at this age. We survived though and made it home with an extra clingy tot, who wouldn't even let me go to the restroom or put her down for the whole flight. And daddy got to see 4 new molars. Now we're on night 3 of jet lag returning home. Last night I was up with her from 2-5 - she would only sleep in my arms and scream bloody murder if I tried to set her down. Did I mention she has 2 more teeth buds visible? 6 teeth in a row/all together? Please, oh please, tell me this ends soon. Anyone else experiencing extreme clinginess too?

In happier news, K is super affectionate, sweet, loves her baby dolls and the dog. She is talking a lot! Most of which we still can't understand, but quite a lot we can! "What is this/that?" or some variation is really popular. "Look at this" and "go away", and a whole lot of things I can't remember at the moment. So much fun now in this development department.

I also think we are in the "18-month window period" I've read about for potty training. She doesn't say anything or give any signs indicating she has to go, but she does say "diaper" and she is independently going to her little potty we've had since she turned one, and now will sit on it on her own for a couple of minutes. She started doing this before our trip, but I didn't want to confuse her with the trip because public restrooms were already questionable for myself, much less a tot. I gave her a potty book with sounds yesterday and she loves sitting on the potty playing with the book. Now if I can only get her to go a little! I'll be buying pull-ups just so we can at least practice at home. Anyone else's LOs showing signs of interest in the potty? I'm hopeful, but not delusional about PTing at this age.

Oops. Sorry I wrote a book! Jet lagged and there goes the baby waking up again. This jet lag crap is almost as bad on sleep as a sleep regression.

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@shopaholic: Haha, you make me want to cancel our flight next week Sorry the jet leg is so brutal for you. I hope we get away with B just as easily as last time. But then it's "only" 6h this time. Wow on the potty, we should be getting one soon but haven't so far because he shows absolutly no interest.

@Corduroy: Wow that was exceptional timing on the molar hell days And so sweet of her catering to her "babies".

@QueensBee: Sleep was pretty decent it took him awhile to go down last night but then he only cried out once but went back to sleep 2-3' later without me having to go check on him.

This morning I found him happily playing in his crib with his little stuffed rabbit, book and lovey. I could hear him through the monitor because the rabbit has this little bell around its neck. I had putten all of those toys up on the dresser behind his bed and once he gets up in the morning he reaches for them.

37. Adira

@ALV91711: So normal FTM craziness! Good to know!! That's a bummer that Isaac doesn't entertain himself in the morning though, despite having a couple stuffed animals!

@QueensBee: That's awesome how well Pete did at the new daycare!!! Yay!!! So glad he's enjoying it!! According to the director, who was in the Toddler Room when I got there, Xander's doing just fine in the new room and enjoys it. The main teacher even left me a note since we never see each other, which was nice. And I was able to figure out what he ate this time! Plus he didn't seem starving at dinner, so he must've eaten his normal amount!

@Corduroy: hahaha, lucky you missing out on the molars popping up! And so cute how she's into stuffed animals and baby dolls!!

@shopaholic: Ummm... your trip sounds dreadful, haha! So sorry you had a teething cranky baby to deal with all by yourself!!! I definitely don't think I'd be up for traveling on my own! Dealing with these kids takes two at times! Also, I can't believe you're starting to think about potty training!!!! That's awesome!!! Xander doesn't seem to be interested AT ALL, but I think boys tend to be slower in that department anyway. I should buy him a potty book though, just to get the ball rolling. What one did you get?

@Pumuckl: That's awesome how you put the toys on his dresser and he can get to them from his crib and just play in the morning!! Love it!!

38. Smurfette

@QueensBee: So glad that it went great!!
    @Corduroy: So lucky you missed the molars!
    @shopaholic: Aww, poor K! That has to be so hard traveling alone and then with a sick and teething toddler. Molars were tough. But the canines were MUCH better for R, if that makes you feel better.
    R is not showing any signs at all. I am going to buy her a potty next month and start putting her on it. But even when I see that she is popping, and we asked her did you go pop, she just looks at us. I have a feeling it isn't going to be easy with her. Luckily day care is going to help a lot with it. Hope she adjusts to normal time soon!
    @Pumuckl: cute!

39. Adira

Finally just occurred to me to add all those Gerber pouches that I buy a million of every time I go shopping to my Amazon subscriptions. Now I'll save 20% on them!

40. Smurfette

@Adira: save the tops! R loves to put them in an old diaper wipe container. I wish that I had been saving them all along.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee