Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is awesome that you got a date night!

@Smurfette: That sounds like a fun night for you guys and for R.

@Pumuckl: What an amazing nights sleep. I hope he does it again for you.

@QueensBee: It blows my mind all the things he is learning and doing. They are trying to teach him to say his best buddies name at daycare but he won't try. The library is going to be our winter weekend activity. It gets too cold to do much else.

@Adira: I hope the timeout helped you to calm down. It is good that you realized you needed a moment.

@QueensBee: I hope your trip is great. I'm sure there will be some wine to drink.

@Corduroy: Three nights of just you and DH, that sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy the time.

We finally got a lawn today, three months after they told us. I'm so excited to be able to let Isaac run around out there next weekend.

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: I have put R in her crib before during a tantrum and gone into my bedroom or outside to take a breathier before. We have all been there.
    @Corduroy: enjoy!!
    @QueensBee: well at least the earthquake already happened!

DH is home this week. He is taking R to day care, so nice having help in the am. He got home just in time to put her to bed. She was SO excited to see him. Ran to the door when she realized it was home.

3. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Corduroy: Oooh, hope you have fun!!!

@QueensBee: Thanks for that! And luckily, I don't even think Xander really realized that I was losing it. I had Hubs take over (I have no idea how you solo parents do it) while I went and cried in the bedroom. Xander was just happily playing when I came back out and didn't seem phased one bit.

@ALV91711: That's exciting about the lawn!! Xander loves playing outside! Although for some reason, he tends to stick to the driveway more than the grass... weirdo.

@Smurfette: YAY!!! He's home all week??? That must be so exciting for all three of you!!!

4. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: Oh how cool you have DH home. I'm all alone again this week with DH having left yesterday before sunrise and not coming home until SAT morning. Very different to the last two weeks where he was home.

@ALV91711: He totally did do it again. Although he did cry out once or twice but quickly settled himself without me having to get up. So still a win in my book.

@Corduroy: Have fun and enjoy your couple time!

@Adira: Basically you just leave the kid in a safe place. The crib, his room etc. Then you breath and come back a minute or two later. Glad it worked for you though.

@QueensBee: Enjoy your trip! Sounds like so much fun!

5. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Wow you must be so thrilled to have DH home for the whole week! Is he working during the day or home the whole time? Either way, what a treat!!

6. Smurfette

@QueensBee: He is taking a training class all week. Last night I had to keep her up a little late so he could even see her. But at least he can take her in the AM.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That is awesome that your DH is home this week. R must be so happy to have him home.

@Pumuckl: @Smurfette: I don't know how you ladies solo parent all the time.

We are home today. Isaac had a runny nose and cough yesterday and woke up with a fever this morning. He is finally eating almost two hours after getting up. I don't mind getting to relax at home today.

8. Adira

@ALV91711: Hope he feels better soon and you guys have a fun day together!

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Thanks. I think as long as he has a good nap he'll be feeling a lot better. He just looks so tired.

10. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Oh no, hope Isaac is feeling better soon! Maybe a giant nap will help and you can have a fun afternoon together.
    ETA: haha, just saw what you wrote to Adira... At least I'm wishing you nothing that you wouldn't like as well

About the single parenting: I think it just becomes the norm. We find our groove when we're alone and things work rather well. Ha we end up always running late if DH is home because the routine is different... All that to say it still sucks but you get used to it

11. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Hope he feels better!
    And like @Pumuckl: it is just my normal. It is actually throwing me off having DH home. I have to cook!! Plus I am just annoyed cause he is waiting till the last minute to get up and ready, so then I have to get R dressed and fed. Granted it is nice having him take her so I can get to work early for once.

12. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@Smurfette: aww, hope you guys have a great week with him at home!

13. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Smurfette: Yay that he is home!!

14. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Adira: Definitely been there! We all need a breather every now and then.

@Smurfette: That picture you posted of R and DH on Instagram was so cute!! They are like twins. Must be so nice to have him home - I hope you get to squeeze in some "me" time this week.

@ALV91711: I hope he feels better!!

@Pumuckl: "Ha we end up always running late if DH is home because the routine is different" - omg yes - I solo parent once in awhile when DH has to travel for work... and whenever he's not home I feel so much more efficient. I get the kids out the door really fast, I don't have to worry about dinner since I just scrounge around to eat for myself and then give the kids something, and there isn't a bunch of dishes. The house is so much cleaner too bc I don't have to pick up after DH.

15. Adira

@Smurfette: Make him cook some nights! Or is he getting home too late from his class?

@Mrs. High Heels:

@Pumuckl: @Mrs. High Heels: When I solo parent because Hubs isn't home, I tend to eat junk food for dinner, haha. So not good for me to not have him here!

16. Smurfette

@Adira: He has homework every night! We usually cook together. But I just don't cook really when he is gone. Super easy stuff when I do.
    @Mrs. High Heels: Getting together with some girlfriends tomorrow night!

17. Adira

@Smurfette: That makes sense! I'd totally be ordering takeout all week because I'm lazy, haha.

18. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: She is almost 100%! The cough is hanging around though. Thanks for checking

That was so sweet of your brother and been there done that with parent timeout!

@Smurfette: Yay for DH being home! Mine has been working crazy hours this week, even Sunday, so I am doing the solo thing. Then he is off to Sydney for work next Mon/Tues. It's a looong week!

@ALV91711: Hope I isn't too sick and you guys can just relax.

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

I think he was mostly feeling better by bedtime. He had a big nap in the late morning. We went and played outside for a while and then he wanted to come in and he had an hour nap and only went to bed about half an hour later than normal.

@Smurfette: Having to cook during the week would kind of suck when your not used to it. It is good that he helps with the cooking though.

@Adira: If DH isn't home for dinner I eat terribly. Whatever is the quickest and easiest.

@AprilFool: Hopefully that cough goes away soon.

20. Adira

@AprilFool: Glad to hear she's feeling better!!

@ALV91711: Glad I'm not the only one!

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: @ALV91711: Haha, on the not eating well. That used to be me - pretty often if it was just me alone I ended up with just yoghurt for dinner. Now that I eat what B eats it's gotten so much better. We still only do quick meals (it's at least 6pm until I can start cooking) but nothing too junky. Tonight we'll have pasta with a ham/cream sauce.

The night actually went okay, he cried out a couple of times but easily went back down by himself. Also he let me put him to bed very drowsy but awake. That would have resulted in a scream fest just a week ago, so we're def. making progress.

22. Adira

@Pumuckl: Glad you're making progress in the sleep department!

We've made progress getting Xander to brush his teeth. We've been just sitting him on the counter in the bathroom and he ends up turning on and off the light (there's a light switch right on the mirror) and turning on and off the water in the sink. And while he's playing, he chews on his tooth brush and then will let us take it and brush his teeth.

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Glad you are having sleep progress. Isaac screamed and called for us for just over an hour tonight. Broke my heart. But then last night he went in the crib fully awake and didn't make a peep.

@Adira: Sounds like good teeth brushing progress. Do you use toothpaste for him?

24. Mrs. High Heels

Are any of your LO's using forks and spoons regularly yet? J can get the spoon into his mouth sometimes, but more often than not he's just flinging food around, and scoops using his hands most of the time still! Just wondering when they should be adept at using utensils. You'd think I'd know since I already have a kid, but yea can't remember.

25. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: she still ends up holding it most of the time and shelves the food in with her hands. She knows how to use them but I think they slow her down!

26. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@mrs high heels-E does but she loves utensils for some reason. She's good with both and has been using them since probably 13 months? Heaven forbid I eat with something she can't have, ya know?

How's the 18 month sleep regression going in your houses? It's freaking brutal in ours. She started to cry around 930 when we went to bed and since it was her second episode since 645, we let her cry a bit. Well, I fell asleep and stayed asleep (mom fail). DH said she cried for almost an hour. Sigh. Mostly she cries and wants to play or lay on us and the other night, we were awake from 1-4! It's ridiculous!

27. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Yes he does nowadays. He even doesn't start eating until he has silverware. He can use a fork or a spoon. But sometimes he gets frustrated an then just holds onto the fork/spoon with one hand and eats with the other. But I'd say 8 out of 10 meals are mainly by utensils by now.

@blackbird: Sounds like what we started going through two/three weeks ago.

Tonight wasn't so great for us either... He started hysterically screaming at 11pm and I had to hold him and then rub his back back in bed for over half an hour. Then I had to wait until he was fully asleep until I could sneak back out. He was crying out again a couple of times but was able to settle back down on his own until 5:45am which is way too early for him to get up. So I took him to my bed where he played around but also slept some more. Then I awoke from a big "thumb" and he had fallen onto our hardwood floor. Wow that's a big black bump he has on his head. He went completely white and I got really scared but he seemed ok after a couple of minutes. BUT his bad luck continued and once we left the bathroom he tripped and crashed into the corner of the bathroom door Poor baby now has two bumps (luckily on different sides) on his head! I feel so bad for him...

28. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, we have a flouride free toothpaste. I just can't figure out whether I should be using flouride or not!

@Mrs. High Heels: Xander uses a spoon regularly for his yogurt. At first, he was terrible at it, but he's been using it for a while now, so he's getting pretty good. If he's eating something thick enough (like his oatmeal in the morning), he doesn't even make a mess! Yogurt tends to get everywhere though. No forks yet and he doesn't use his spoon for anything that's not liquidy.

@blackbird: Ugh, sorry to hear about the sleep regression being brutal for you! So far it's been okay for us. Xander's been waking up earlier than normal, but lately he's been sleeping okay. I hope the sleep regression is short for you!

29. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@pumuckle-poor drunk baby that's how a lot of our nights go. It's been on and off for a good month but now we are on the second week of it being nearly every night

30. Adira

Oh hey! I got the contract for the upcoming year for Xander's daycare and his weekly rate is going down by $5!!! I know it's not a lot, but I'm excited for the little extra savings!

31. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@blackbird: I had really hoped we were done now but after yesterday I'm not so sure... Hope it gets better for you soon. For us it's usually 2-4 weeks of really bad before it slowly gets better for another week or so and then it's back to normal. Hope it's like this this time too.

32. Smurfette

@blackbird: @Pumuckl: Sounds rough ladies. Sorry!

R wouldn't go to sleep the other night. So we gave her a sippy cup with a tiny bit of water, and she passed right out holding on to it. So weird but it seems to give her comfort. The last couple weeks she was waking up early, but is doing much better this week. I am sure she will go back to waking up early next week when it is just me home.

33. Mrs. High Heels

@Smurfette: @blackbird: @Pumuckl: @Adira: Thanks for weighing in! Is there anything you guys did to help your LO's work on their cutlery use? I will usually scoop something up for J initially, then hand it to him so he can put it in his mouth on his own... but after 1-2x of that, he always grabs the spoon away from me and tries to do everything himself. He's not good at scooping things up on his own yet, so he just resorts to using his hands after a couple times of scooping and dropping food! Should I be more proactive about helping him along somehow?

@blackbird: Honestly, J hasn't really had any bad regressions - the last one was the 4 month regression. His 18 month one was basically him waking up at 5:30 am for an entire week... but he didn't really have trouble going down or have MOTN wake ups. I hope it passes for you soon - I'm sure by the time this is over E will have developed by leaps and bounds! Lots of stuff going on in that brain of hers.

@Pumuckl: Sorry about your night, and those bumps - ouch! J has moments like that too where it just seems like one crash after another. At one point he had a black eye, and an egg on his head.

@Adira: Hey, every penny counts - even $5 savings helps!

@Smurfette: Funny how the most random things can soothe them. Glad R has been doing well and sleeping in a little longer this week.

34. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: We don't really do anything but give it to her. I tell her during meals to use it but she ignores me. I know day care really works with it too.

35. autumnlove

hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: we give her a fork and spoon at dinner and it is hit or miss!

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: we didn't really do anything specific to help him it just took practice I guess. Also I've noticed that once he "gets" something he's way better at duplicating it. So the first times he really ate with a spoon was foods that were mushy but not too liquidly and they were in a deep bowl. Basically they were way easier to eat with a spoon than per hand. After that he did way better on other foods like rice etc. as well. Pretty much the same thing happened with the fork. It was pan seared potatoes that helped him learn there.

37. Adira

Found out why Xander's tuition went down. He's moving to the Toddler Room! I'm not ready!!!

38. Mrs. High Heels

@Pumuckl: Your comment made me realize that I don't really give J anything that's super easy to scoop up like mashed but not too liquidy. I rarely give him yogurt for breakfast bc I get nervous about the mess he might make right before daycare, and the things I do give him that require a spoon are "harder" foods like rice, soup and noodles. I am going to give him some yogurt for dinner, and start offering more mushy/easy to scoop foods to give him more practice. Thanks!

39. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: Aww the toddler room will be great - he'll learn even more things from imitating the older kids! They are growing so so fast though... once J hit 18 months, I felt like 2 years was just right around the corner.

40. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Yeah, it'll be good that he moves. He'll be the youngest one in the room, but he's moving up with two other kids, so he's moving with his friends. I'm going to need to talk to them though because I don't know how they'll monitor his milk allergy in the Toddler Room. I think they eat lunch and snacks and little tables and chairs (as opposed to being in the high chair seats at a big table), so I'm worried about them being able to keep milk from him!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee