Cue rending of clothes and ripping of hair.

LO slept like a rockstar as a baby...think sleeping through the night by 3 months, "sleep trained" at 4 months with basically a whine or two, would kick us out of her room to sleep for 11-12 hours straight a night, etc. WHERE DID IT ALL GO SO WRONG?!

Now at 25 months, she needs one of us to either be in the armchair or sitting on the floor in her room for her to go to sleep ( she falls asleep on her own in the crib). Some nights we have to hold her hand or pat her back. Her ultimately preferred method is for me to "hold you" while she falls asleep. Alternative is hysterical sobbing and crib vaulting. I'm fine with sleep training and attempted it a month ago with limited success. But her crying is...different than when she'd cry at night in the past and again, the crib vaulting. We stuck to it for a few days, but she regressed after she got sick.

LO is generally well-behaved and doesn't show any other signs of separation anxiety. Maybe I was spoiled by her sleep habits earlier but the constantly interrupted sleep is really taking a toll. Everything I read says this is normal but vacillates between don't give in to her requests or you'll have a terrible sleeper for life! and if you don't cuddle her she'll have emotional trauma from feeling abandoned!

Other mamas who've gone through something similar...what worked for you? Any suggestions for me? Please tell me there's a light at the end of the road!