So my 2.5 year old climbed out of his crib at nap today. He climbed out at my mom's house at Christmas, but our crib at home is deeper/taller so he wasn't able to get out... until now.

So we're trying to figure out what to do and how to handle it. Our crib converts to a toddler bed (one of the rails comes off) and we can get a bed rail for the side that comes off, but I am more concerned about keeping him in his bed.

This is a kid who is very high sleep needs, but WON'T sleep unless he's forced to sleep. Won't sleep in the car, stroller, at daycare, etc. We have to put him in his crib and close the door for him to go to sleep.

I think we need to just put a baby gate in front of his room or one of those door knob covers so he can't open the door (we have a video monitor to watch him). My husband feels very strongly this is "unsafe" - that LO needs to be able to get out of the room in an emergency, but I'm not sure it's any different than last week when he was "locked" in the crib and we would have to go get him. Thoughts?

Also, we've considered dropping the bottom out of the crib and putting a thick crib mattress on the floor which would buy us another few inches of crib height and hopefully a few more months in the crib. I am thinking maybe in 6 months he will be more mature and understand staying in bed, but I don't know.

Suggestions appreciated!