So we had some friends over the other day and DS, who is almost 4, spent most of the time playing a boy who is about a year older than him. I wasn't paying too much attention to them, they were just running around and playing in DS's room, but at one point I walked into the kitchen and the friend has his pants pulled down and they were both looking down his pants and kind of checking things out. He pulled them up pretty quickly and I ushered them back into the living room to play. Later that night I asked DS what was going on when I came in the kitchen and he told me they were playing a game where they pulled down the front of their pants and their penis came out. So, I told him that we don't play games like that with our friends and we don't show our private parts to other people and he should only pull his pants down around mommy or daddy. I wasn't mad at him and told him it was ok (I have no idea who started it, I can't see DS doing that first but who knows). But after he said he didn't want to see that friend anymore because he didn't want to play that game and he's mentioned it a couple of times since then.

I have zero idea if I handled that well. I was completely caught off guard. I know kids are very curious at that age and when DS saw his little brother in the bathtub for the first time he was fascinated that they both had the same parts. So, I don't want to make him feel ashamed but I also don't want him to go to preschool and yank his pants down in front of everyone. What do you say in that kind of situation? I don't want to bring it up again, but he's mentioned it to me a couple of times.