Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@MamaG: Does your child like the other child?

2. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mamaof2: Sort of. You have to be an approved school district volunteer, meaning you are background checked and credentialed with the district. The doors are locked, you are buzzed into the building, have to register in the office (including showing drivers license, which is scanned again for any crimes) and then can have lunch. Our school has a full cafeteria as well, parents aren't allowed to sit in. But, we have a really nice outdoor seating area (where we were) with picnic tables and benches. We also have a variety of tables in the main hall (bar height and standard) where students can sit with their guest as well. On this particular day the weather was amazing but no one was outside except us. Typically the outside area is busy and there might be two families at each picnic table.

3. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@looch: My kiddo is a social butterfly of epic proportions, she doesn't really voice disliking anyone. I wouldn't say they are great friends, but my kiddo will play with anyone willing.

4. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: At this recent lunch encounter, my kid was telling my how other kid hasn't had any sad notes in her binder all year (woot for other kid!). I complimented other kid and told my kid that's rather amazing. We have been talking about modeling good behaviors and trying to leave some of our bad behaviors behind. So this turned into an interesting but awkward conversation amongst us with our "friends". The mom then shared with me how her kid had horrible separation anxiety at the start of the year. And transitioning into kinder was hard. I think she was trying to make the situation less awkward. But then I realized EVERY time I go to the school this mom is there. I have been to lunch probably 5 times this school year. I asked my kid if this mom is there every day. YES. Well gosh, I'm not sure that's the best way to deal with separation anxiety. The conversation have all been awkward.

5. looch

@MamaG: Ok, got it.

I think there are a few angles...one is if you get an "off" feeling, then yeah, you shouldn't waste your time...but at the same time, I am trying really hard not to put my issues onto my child. I tend to have anxiety in situations when I have to do something new or go somewhere with a new friend and I don't want my issues to be projected onto my child or for my son to develop them because he sees me modeling that behavior.

In this case, I'd probably do a playdate, but at standalone location. I'd suggest it on the weekend, and if she declines, then I would use that as an opportunity to say that my schedule really doesn't allow for anything else right now.

6. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

Our school allows parents at lunch.

We ran into a similar situation Fall semester when I was on maternity leave and I would take the extra time to load the baby, park the car, get out the stroller and actually walk my kindergartner into class. To get exercise and some more time together we would park further back in the neighborhood. Of course this other mom would catch up to us and want to chat my ear off. It defeated the purpose of me going through the effort to spend time with my daughter (who needed some 1:1 mom time after the new baby was born). We adjusted our timing and sometimes would just talk very closely so they could tell we were in a deep conversation.

Could you maybe go early and catch the mom before lunch and say something like, Its been great catching up with you at lunch but would you mind if I sat with my child alone today? We really need some one on one time.

7. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@MamaG: Ugh! Your description made me so uncomfortable. I'm pretty non confrontational but I would give this mom the cold shoulder and try to get her off your back. Like not necessarily say something directly, but more like unfriendly face/short uninterested responses.
    My LO1 is also very social, but if I get an off feeling from the parents, we are just always "too busy" for play dates.

8. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: So have you had just two sort of negative interactions with this woman, or has she bothered you every time you've gone to have lunch with your child? I know there are some parents in my daughter's school and specifically in her class who eat lunch frequently with their child(ren). I don't know about every day, but often. They do volunteer work in the school and come in for lunch. Just about anyone can have lunch at school if they're buzzed in and registered in the office and there are other tables in the cafeteria for parents to eat at with their kids. If I was having lunch with my DD and I saw another parent/child from her class, I wouldn't think twice about asking if we could sit with them (if my DD wanted to). I would feel like that was being friendly and trying to get to know some of the other families in her class because there aren't so many opportunities otherwise. I agree with @looch's suggestion of a offering to meet at a neutral playdate location and going from there.

9. tlynne

apricot / 317 posts

@Mamaof2: Schools in some areas (like mine) have open-door policies for parents, as long as they do not interfere with instruction.

This means lunch, special activities, classroom observations, etc.

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Pancakes: It started in February at a classroom function. The mom introduced herself, told me she arranges playdates. Asked for my number and said she'd text me next time she had a playdate. Fine. Easy peasy.

The next time was at lunch a couple of weeks later. Asked to sit with us. Again about the playdate, then asked more questions about our work situation. Fine, no big deal. She offered to transport my kid. That's when it started to go down hill. I explained my discomfort. Told her I didn't mean to be offensive, but she's really no more than a friendly acquaintance and I wasn't comfortable.

At that point, I did say perhaps we could have a weekend playdate and see if I could get more comfortable. She declined as that interferes with her family time. Her DH sounds like he doesn't like kids. She tries to do playdates in the afternoon before he gets home. I said we could meet at a park. She declined again. At that point I wrote this off. Clearly we can't coordinate so it's not worth it to me.

She texted me during spring break asking for a playdate. I declined as we were going to the zoo that day as a family.

The two encounters I've described already are subsequent to this.

@T.H.O.U.: Yes! I just want some quality 1:1 time with my kid. Her lunch is 30 minutes long, can I just sit and talk to my kid for 30 minutes? I'm happy to be polite to other people, but don't smother me. That's sort of how I feel now.

11. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: Ah, got it. It sounds like you've been clear. I think it's fine to say politely that you'd been looking forward to some one-on-one time with your daughter and if she won't back off I would probably try to enlist the help of someone at the school. You shouldn't not have to have lunch with your daughter because of this woman.

12. looch

I found a bunch of great ideas for my son for camp, I was really excited to show him last night and he was so "meh" about them and didn't want to attend any of them, even though they are programs that he's familiar with! He asked for art camp, I found him art camp! He asked for field trips, I found him a camp with a weekly field trip. We are also going to take a week in August and go to the shore, which he also asked for.

I don't get it! He knows school is ending in June and it's not like he's never gone to camp! What could be going on?

13. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: did you ask him? Maybe he is feeling burnt out and dreams of just staying home all summer.

14. looch

@Mamaof2: I tried, he said it was too many hours, which doesn't make sense, because it's less than the amount of time he spends in kindergarten.

It's weird, he asked for these camps, and now he's not interested. No one is staying home, lol!

15. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: I would just drop it - once camp starts and he is having fun it probably wont be an issue.

I think most kids are burnt out this time of year - While my 8yr old is excited to return to camp my 6yr old would love to stay home and snuggle all day with me - ha!

But like you no one is staying home

16. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: maybe it still feels far away for him? We have nearly 2 months of school left so my son knows that all of the "summer" activities are not happening anytime soon. But like @Mamaof2: said, he'll probably get more excited when the camps start!

17. looch

I have to register him, that's the issue, and I really wanted his feedback...I thought he'd be into it, but I guess I'll just choose.

18. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

LO needed a pep talk to go to school the other day. She didn't want to go which is unlike her and she is feeling burned out. She said she just wants to go to the pool or beach everyday and school is too long. I reminded her she has only a few more weeks left with her friends in this class before they get shuffled. Also to enjoy her teacher now because she will be in first grade soon. That helped a bit.
    I didn't do camps this summer but I did register for swim class. I have big plans for camps in future years though.

19. Mrs. Yoyo

blogger / pomelo / 5400 posts

I think we're also dealing with end-of-year burnout. Lots of "uggggh I don't want to gooooo" and rough mornings. He also had a bad week last week with his clip moving a lot. Lots of factors involved -- his teacher is trying to "show them how it will be in first grade" and lots of travel for us because we're moving out of state soon. I also wonder if he's worrying about that at all.

20. tlynne

apricot / 317 posts

I agree with the burnout theory. DS1 is normally excited and into just about everything - but lately he's been tired and kind of 'blah'. Yesterday, he was even dragging his feet about swim practice and second-guessing his decision to join the team, which he usually adores - he normally half-drags me out of the house to take him to practice!

21. looch

You ladies were right, it is/was burnout!

I still haven't figured out camp but I did find another art camp and these classes seemed more interesting to my son, so we're going with those instead.

22. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: LO did art camp during the fall and she loved it. It was very relaxing and completely different than school.

23. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Kinder is officially in the books for us. LO is starting her summer camp at her daycare today. The end of the year had a lot of activity but seems like a non event for LO. She's just rolling along without seeming to be bothered by changes.

24. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@MamaG: Congratulations on finishing out the year!

Yesterday was her last full day and then she has 3 half days, finishing up next Tuesday. There have been SOOO many end of year activities that yesterday she was very over tired and over stimulated (even though she was so excited they didn't have any work pages to do at school).

25. Mrs. Yoyo

We just finished, too. I think it finally hit LO as we picked him up yesterday -- he got all grumpy and I was getting annoyed until I figured out what was going on. We're moving, so he realized he wouldn't be going back

I feel like May has been one big party for them. On one hand, I'm glad they finally got a break. On the other hand, I wish they could have more evenly distributed work from earlier in the year so those days weren't as insane!

26. tlynne

apricot / 317 posts

Tomorrow's our last day! Woo hoo! We made it : ). I agree that May has been one huge party - but ours at least was well-planned and fairly educational : ). Our first swim meet is tonight until 11 PM...I think the only reason I'll be able to get DS out of bed is because it's the last day...!

27. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@tlynne: We don't finish for quite awhile. Is your DS on a swim club? I wouldn't mind doing that after DD tightens up her strokes this summer. I don't know anyone else who does it with young kids. I somehow thought it was for teenagers and above.

Congratulations to the newly minted Kinder 🎓 graduates and their families!

28. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

We're officially done (i.e., passed our first-ever evals--hooray!). We're going to celebrate the end of the year on Friday. I'm thinking pizza, salad, and cake followed by a movie to mark the occasion. I feel like I ought to make a little deal about the 'last day' because the next year is going to start on Tuesday. We'll probably do some pictures too.

29. tlynne

apricot / 317 posts

@808love: Yes, he tried out for swim team back in March. It was open to kids age 4 and up who could swim 25 meters independently. The only stroke he had when he joined was freestyle - and even that was somewhat dubious. He now has all four strokes and he swims in the 6 & under and the 8 & under races today. Swimming is really big in my area; our swim league has around 6000 kids on about 30 teams.

30. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@tlynne: That's great to hear. LO can swim across the pool and back and tread for a minute (just passed the swim test) but no formal strokes. We will work on with summer lessons and then try swim club. We took off of activities this year (except art camp) to aid adjustment and we are ready to choose a few for the upcoming year.

LO is mysteriously amped up about school. At first she was all about her teacher but now she just keeps saying I just LOVE learning.

31. looch

Yes to the end of the year feeling like one big party and being totally nuts! We still have a month to go.

32. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

We also still have a bit more than a month to go. There are a number of long weekends though (this weekend is a 4 day weekend for us), and they've had some fun activities recently, like a boat ride, and a footrace. Next week they are going to visit a miniature village and there is a book swap planned.

What, if anything, are you going to have your kids do this summer to keep up their academics? I made a deal with my son that for every book he reads for leisure, he can earn a point that can be converted into cash to buy a prize at the end of the summer. He has made a lot of progress in reading this year (he basically started out at zero), but he doesn't pick up books and read for fun. This little challenge has motivated him for the past few days, so I hope it sticks. I also will not prod him to do it, he has to do it on his own.

33. looch

@lamariniere: My son is the same, he couldn't read when he started the school year, and while he can read quite well now, he's not the type that just picks up a book and reads...although he was doing that this morning and I nearly fell over.

My son really likes workbooks, so I found a bunch that are word problems, if he reads in that format, I am okay. We also have access to a leveled reading program that he can access on his ipad. I am also considering magazines of some sort. Other than that, we're not doing an academic summer, but I am concerned a bit about the summer slide.

34. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: Magazines are a good idea! My kids are gifted French magazine subscriptions every year and they are a big hit! It's also something to look forward to in the mailbox.

35. Mrs. Yoyo

@lamariniere: I have been thinking of some kind of exchange like that, too. Maybe read me a book = 10 mins of iPad or something.

36. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@lamariniere: @looch: @Mrs. Yoyo: Wow, I missed this conversation a couple of weeks ago. We have a couple weeks left and then we're done! My DD is a huge bookworm so I won't pay her to read (in any currency) but our library has a fantastic summer reading program so we'll do that. I don't think her teacher did a good job on emphasizing correct letter formation and I've noticed that she forms a lot of her letters from the bottom up and her handwriting isn't very neat so I ordered a Handwriting Without Tears workbook and I'll do that with her and I'm going to look into putting some new math apps on my iPad. Last summer the Target dollar spot had some fun workbooks and she got out the Presidents one over the weekend and started working on that again so I'll be checking to see if they carry something like those again. We also picked up an Usborne activity book for a recent trip and that had a lot of fun things like unscrambling words and prompts for writing little stories so we'll have that on hand as well. Luckily she likes doing those types of activities so I don't have to push her too much (we'll see about the handwriting thing!).

37. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@tlynne: Swim team is huge here, too! We aren't able to do it this summer for a couple of reasons but I'm hoping that we can do it next summer if it's something she or DD2 is interested in.

38. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@lamariniere: we do 1 page from a workbook each morning before camp starts and then normal reading before bedtime

Our last day is the 13th - we are in countdown mode!!!

39. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@Pancakes: We do the library summer reading program too! Love it! And I'm with you, I don't pay or offer rewards for reading (with one exception). The library program isn't geared towards rewards, although there is a "prize" at the end, which is a little party where everyone gets to pick out a new book. That is exactly how I'd design a reading incentive program.

On the handwriting front, my son initially formed everything in the correct order (for months!), but then when I started supervising a bit less (because I figured he was good at that point), he started coming up with his own order for writing things. Maybe he forgot how or was concentrating on the words and not focusing on formation anymore. In any event, I pointed out that he was making things harder on himself and watched him like a hawk for a few weeks and things improved a lot.

40. looch

I'd like to ask about incentives for reading programs...my son's school just ran a program where the kids could earn prizes depending on how much they read (bookmark, pencil, book, ticket to a minor league baseball game). I encouraged my son to participate and let him decide how much he participated, because I wasn't sure if they would do an awards assembly and hand out the rewards to the kids.

Should I have opted out? I am wondering because of the comments about incentivizing reading...I get that it shouldn't be monetary, but can someone make me feel better about these prizes?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee