I recently found out that a daycare we’ve been on the waiting list for forever will have spots for both of my kids in five weeks, and I’m planning to move them.
We don’t have a contract with current daycare and there is no minimum notice requirement. How far in advance should I let them know? I’d like to minimize any awkwardness at drop off/pickup once we’ve let them know, but I also want to make sure they have time to fill the spots.
squash / 13199 posts
@Jennibenni: I would tell them right away. I don't think its awkward to leave a daycare to go somewhere that might be closer or better for you. I would just say we have alternate arrangements now that work better.
persimmon / 1023 posts
We left a home daycare for a centre and gave 4-5 weeks notice. Basically as soon as we found out we had a spot. The provider did initially take it personally and thought we were unhappy (we actually were) but I told her we were selling our house and moving and this place was close to my job so that’s why (which was true) I won’t lie, she was a little curt with us from then on out and provided little detail on his day and whatnot but we stuck it out. I would have pulled him out if we thought she wasn’t being a good provider. I think home providers take it more personally as then they have to find someone else and their livelihood depends on it, but it is part of the job for them unfortunately.
cherry / 150 posts
Is the other daycare closer to home/work? I got a spot at a daycare close to work, and gave notice right away (1 month). I felt bad because it was after only 2 months. But things happen!
nectarine / 2951 posts
Most contracts make you give a month notice. I’d do it right away as a courtesy. No shame in leaving.
pomegranate / 3355 posts
We had to do 30 days per contract but they called me out about 3 days prior to that bc we hadn't "registered" for fall and I said well that's bc we are putting in our termination letter this friday It was awkward in the moment but after that the director was fine. I will say the teachers stopped giving in depth feedback daily but it was also summer so there was more play than learning going on....
wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts
I'd be polite and give about a month as well.
It's crazy and totally validates your reasons in leaving if they act differently after! I mean, I'm pretty sure if I told our DCP the girls are leaving, they would be hugging and kissing them extra the whole time!
pomegranate / 3438 posts
I would give 30 days. Even though you don't have a contract it is a nice courtesy so they can open up the spot to someone else when you leave. Our daycare has a waiting list this time of year.
@snowjewelz: our daycare would be the same way! Even when my oldest moved on to Kindergarten they were so sad to see him go. I just don't understand how daycare providers would hold it against families for changing, especially in the case of it being to a more convenient location.
persimmon / 1005 posts
@gestalt: @KT326: So, it’s really not a more convenient location. The two daycares are not that far from each other. While we have been happy with the care at current daycare, the facility is a little tired and they watch a lot of tv at the end of the day. I’m not comfortable giving those as reasons for leaving because I want to leave on a good note and I really like the director and teachers and don’t want to offend them or hurt feelings. I’m planning to say that both kids will have existing friends in their classes and it will be more convenient if we ever need help with drop off pickup to have those parents available to call. It’s a pretty flimsy explanation, I admit. Does it sound that way?
pomegranate / 3438 posts
@Jennibenni: I really don't think you have to give an explanation. Just say our last day is xx. If they ask why I would just say it is what is best for your family right now.
pomegranate / 3192 posts
watermelon / 14467 posts
We gave two weeks notice the first time. We were moving and I wanted to be sure of our closing date. The second time, it was immediate because of safety concerns for my toddler and my preschooler was pulled four days later when another spot opened up at her current preschool.