I know it's about a year away, but one of my friend groups wants to attempt a multi-family vacation next summer and we want to pick a location and a week far in advance, so everyone can plan their 2018 vacation time. It's going to be 3 families: a family with 2 kids, and the other families each have 1 kid. Two of the families will either be TTC or pregnant, so they are *serious* about no potential Zika exposure. Everyone also prefers location that aren't super hot in summer. Two families will be flying, so a major airport nearby(ish-within 2 hours or so) is preferred. We also prefer to rent a house, so we can put the kids to bed and still socialize with each other. We definitely want a beach and a pool would be a plus. Bonus points for non-beach activity potential too, like maybe fishing charter, or whale watching, or lighthouse exploring, or whatever. And a few good restaurants. Kid friendly and not pretentious.

A lot of places are on my radar, but I don't have personal experience there. So if you have any recommendations or tips or comparisons or even just general descriptions, please weigh in.

Here are places I'm considering:

Boston Airport: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, possible Newport, Narragansett, or Block Island (Not all of them, just picking 1 of them). I've only been to Cape Cod, and only once, so I'm definitely not an expert.

NYC airports: Hamptons, northern part of Jersey shore

Philly airport: Cape May/Wildwood, Delaware beaches

How do I narrow this down? I've only been to Cape May, Wildwood, a handful of northern Jersey beaches, Cape Cod, and Providence. But I stayed in hotels at all of them and not a house rental.

help?