Some of the other threads have gotten me thinking:
What kind of scheming or planning are you willing to do to get your LO in a good school or good school district? I know some parents move neighborhoods or research a lot before buying; other parents wait overnight in lines to get their kids into certain pre-school programs or on waiting lists for the best magnet schools; some parents spend a ton of money of expensive private schools.
What are YOU willing to do, or what have YOU done to get your LO in a good school (pre school, day care, primary school, private school, whatever!)??
bananas / 9628 posts
we're looking to buy in one of the best school districts in our state knowing that we probably won't be able to afford the private school tuition at the private schools we'd be interested in sending our children to. i think most people take that into consideration when buying a home though.
squash / 13764 posts
Lo is 3 months old and we're already thinking about how to get him into a good private school if that's the direction we go in (we're in NYC). I was thinking about touring some the pre-schools around here that tend to "feed' into private schools and talking to the directors but that might look a little foolish/I might be too early...(or maybe not!)
admin / wonderful grape / 20724 posts
eggplant / 11713 posts
I'll start. (haha--responding to my own post).
We moved to NYC area this summer. I figured, since I have to find a new job anyway, I may as well shoot for the top. I got 4 interviews total (2 at private schools, two at public schools) and 2 job offers (1 private, 1 public).
One of the jobs I interviewed for was at one of the best (and most expensive, at $27,000 a year) private K-12 schools in Manhattan. I *really* wanted that job, even though it seemed a little high-stress, because then my future LO's would get a discount on tuition and preferential treatment for admissions. I made it through 3 interviews, they narrowed it down to 2 candidates, and then they picked the other person because he spoke more langauges (at this school, they learn both french and 1 other foreign language, starting in kinder). BOO.
Another private school here in NJ offered me a job, but then told me the salary and it was laughably low. So I told them I needed a few days to think about it, and in the meantime, and offer came through from a public school that paid more than double the salary of the private school.
Since it's not a top-tier private school AND the salary was low, I took the public school job and am happy so far.
BUT...if I ever see another top-tier opening, I'll definitely go for it again. That's the extent of my scheming. I know my husband and I will never pay $27,000 a year for tuition, so our kids would go to public school if we stay in this area. When our futre LO becomes of age, we may move neighborhoods to get a better public school.
BTW, I'm not even due until this summer. Does anyone else scheme this far in advance, or am I just crazy? LOL
hostess / wonderful watermelon / 39513 posts
We bought an older house in a good elementary zone. If we went with a newer house in a different zone....we would have tried to use MIL's address.
wonderful cherry / 21504 posts
We will research school districts to death before buying our long term house to make sure the schools are top notch. Or, we are open to private depending on how the pricing shakes out- but we will be in the suburbs so it wont be 27000 a year!
That's about it. I don't consider it scheming- its planning ahead.
Oh yeah and I'm not due until July! We may buy a place now but will move when Lo starts kinder probably.
blogger / watermelon / 14218 posts
We will either purchase an older home and fix it up in a good school district or purchase a more affordable, dream home in a so-so school district and, when the time comes, send our kids to private school. There are some really good ones around this area so if they can get into a good one, we'd want to send them, so it would be silly to live in an expensive town only to end up sending our kids to private school.
One of the top public high schools in the area is Boston Latin, but they have to qualify to get in and you have to live in Boston proper. We were considering holding onto our city condo and not renting it out so that we could use that address to apply for that school, but since that's 12 years away that's probably a little unreasonable
As for college, I'm crossing my fingers that our kids will want to go to the school Wagon Sr. works at!!