Hellobee Boards


Would you be induced due to babies size?

  1. Mrs. M

    kiwi / 645 posts

    Maybe, but doubtful based on my first pregnancy. They estimated my daughter was about 2 lbs bigger than she really was, so I'm not sure I woud believe it.

  2. yoursilverlining

    eggplant / 11824 posts

    Size was one of the factors in my selecting a scheduled c-section (I know, the horror). Honestly, not every woman is built to birth babies easily; either small or large. My OB has measured and helped birth literally thousands of children and she told me that she had serious doubts I'd vaginally birth without issues. Her weight estimate, as well as the ultrasound techs, were accurate (the ultrasounds' was actually to the ounce spot-on). LO's head was also in the upper 90%, which wouldn't have helped. I don't have any regrets, but I also couldn't care less about having a "natural" birth. We've both been healthy and happy without complications from day 1.

  3. ALV91711

    pomelo / 5621 posts

    I wouldn't. There would have to be another reason for me to get induced.

    I say this because with DS I had an u/s at 37 weeks for other reasons and they said he was 7lbs something. Well at 38 weeks I went into labour and had a 9lb 5oz baby. I don't think he grew 2lbs in a week. So for me I don't think the u/s is completely accurate for size and would need more reason than that.

  4. QBbride

    pomegranate / 3192 posts

    No, never!

    Ultrasounds/fundal measurements can be sooo inaccurate!

  5. singingbee

    pomelo / 5073 posts

    Yes, if my dr thought it was necessary. Lo was so curled up, they couldn't tell her weight and she actually ended up weighing more than they thought. She was two weeks early and weighed more than some full term babies.

  6. coopsmama

    cantaloupe / 6059 posts

    No, probably not. DS was 9lbs, 3oz with a 15" head and I was able to deliver him vaginally at 41 weeks with only a small tear and no assistance. He also wasn't in an ideal position. So, that being said, I know my body is capable of delivering a larger baby and I probably wouldn't be too concerned about delivering a larger baby in the future. I guess I can't say for sure though, unless I were in that position!

  7. ScarletBegonia

    persimmon / 1339 posts

    I would - I had a 7 1/2 lb baby who got stuck while i was attempting an intervention- and med-free birth, and I ended up needing forceps and was this close to needing a c-section. If I have another baby and if they tell me there is a risk of it getting stuck again, I wouldn't hesitate to induce. I wrote a post on this a couple of weeks ago, but basically my thoughts on intervention- and med-free birthing have done a complete 180 since I gave birth!

  8. Mamasig

    pomegranate / 3565 posts

    @yoursilverlining: my thoughts exactly and similar situation. Thought I was the only one! And another c section is scheduled for little brother. No regrets here.

  9. Rainbow Sprinkles

    eggplant / 11287 posts


  10. birdofafeather

    pineapple / 12053 posts

    not for size alone. but i never had any U/S past my anatomy scan at 20 weeks. is this a normal thing for people to get size guesstimates? or is it just if you're measuring large/small? i went to a normal OB practice and they had an U/S tech in the office.

  11. googly-eyes

    GOLD / pomelo / 5737 posts

    The short answer to would I EVER is yes, but it really depends on the circumstances.

    @birdofafeather: I had one to check to make sure that the placenta had "moved." (Had partial placenta previa.) I think most people only get them if there's something else going on?

  12. loveisstrange

    pineapple / 12526 posts

    Maybe if there were concerns about something like IUGR or something, but not for a big baby. I vaginally birthed a 10.5lb baby already. I feel pretty confident I could do it again.

  13. LovelyPlum

    eggplant / 11408 posts

    Maybe. It would depend on the circumstances. I think I'd be more concerned if the head were very large. DH's head gave my MIL real issues, and he was early. I don't know if you can tell these things in utero, but if baby were measuring with a big head circumference,and my doctor were concerned, then yes.

    Also, it would depend what number pregnancy it was for me. If it were number 2 or more, a lot would depend on how the first one went.

  14. Pumuckl

    pomegranate / 3601 posts

    No, I'd deliver by c-section if they thought the baby would be to big. That's my hospitals policy: If baby is measured to be over 4kg then c-section. I'm fine with that - better a healthy baby than complications while trying for a natural birth!

    That said: I was lucky my LO was measured smaller and I got to deliver naturally.

  15. daniellemybelle

    cantaloupe / 6669 posts

    No, because the research shows babies don't grow all that much more after I believe 39 weeks. So if you have a big baby then, it's not like you are going to have a ginormous baby 2 weeks later.

    Many also consider induction to be contraindicated in VBACs so I will not be induced & if I make it to 42 weeks then I will just have a repeat C section.

  16. sotofamilia

    kiwi / 612 posts

    My LO was measuring 9lbs 2ozs at 38 weeks and my ob pushed heavily for an induction due to size, no other factors. I didn't want to, and ended up delivering an 8lb 2oz baby at 40 weeks 4 days. I'm a big believer that my body knows when my baby is done growing.

    That said, every woman is different and every baby is different....I'm not opposed with my next baby, depending on the situation. Ultimately, my goal is a healthy baby.

  17. Smurfette

    GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

    What @Mae: said

  18. Silva

    cantaloupe / 6017 posts

    I trust my doctors and midwives. They would know my goals and intentions. If they were concerned, and showed me why they were concerned, I would most likely do it. I trust them to make informed medical decisions to keep me and baby safe. That is why I chose them.
    I suspect that if size was the only concerning factor, they wouldn't recommend it.
    During my labor with my small baby, I wasn't progressing and they did discuss some concern about my size vs. her size. They weren't as focused on her size as they were on my size, which I found surprising as I'm not really petite, just small-average sized. They gave me time to let it play out, and I was able to deliver vaginally.

  19. avivoca

    watermelon / 14467 posts

    If a suspected large baby was the only reason, then no.

  20. mamimami

    grapefruit / 4120 posts

    No... The idea was tossed around during my first pregnancy because they thought he was big.... He ended up coming on his own at 38 weeks and change and weighed 7.5 lbs... Far from big! I don't trust the u/s estimates.

  21. junebugmama

    nectarine / 2019 posts

    Just to weigh in on the u/s sizing estimates, with J2 they estimated him at 7lbs 2oz at 36 wks. I was induced and had him 36wks 5d and he was 8lbs 15oz. She was off for sure. Although where I am now the US tech only has a 3% error of margin, so I would be more trusting of her guess

  22. Urchin

    coffee bean / 47 posts

    I was induced at 38w 4d because my DD was IUGR (so small rather than big).

    I didn't want to be induced for ANYTHING, but because my daughter had stopped growing, and her health was at risk, I had the induction and it was perfect.

    I probably wouldn't get induced for a suspected big baby, as ultrasounds aren't too accurate in that department (even with my small DD, they told me she was around 4lbs 9oz, and she ended up being 5lbs5oz).

  23. Glitter

    persimmon / 1281 posts

    As long as it's past 37w, I would.

  24. 2PeasinaPod

    pomelo / 5524 posts

    I think it would depend on the situation.

    I'm a tiny gal, and had GD. They were convinced that LO was going to be a big baby, and wanted to induce me the day after I was due if I didn't go naturally by then. I was planning on asking them to let me have the weekend to go naturally when I started labor on my own the day before he was due. I had to have an emergency C-section because he got stuck...and he was only 6 lbs, 13 oz.

    I now have an increased risk for GD if I'm lucky enough to have a second, so I'm sure they will want to take the same precautions. I'm opting for the scheduled C-section as long as it's after 39 weeks.

  25. LuLu Mom

    GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

    I think I would. My LO was 8 lbs 10 oz at 39 weeks, I can't imagine what would she would have been had we waited 2-3 weeks to deliver. My next one will be a c-section, so I don't think size is as big of an issues.

  26. preggomeggo82

    apricot / 355 posts

    No, I am not sure I trust the u/s estimates since they seem wrong more often than not. I'm more adverse to induction than I am to a big baby. I'd rather see where things go naturally.

  27. cheert16

    nectarine / 2631 posts

    I had to be induced with lil B at 42 weeks- induction was so terrible- that I never want to have to be induced again!
    But if it was for the safety of my LO I would.

  28. Lindsay05

    pomegranate / 3759 posts

    I don't think so? I would have to listen to my doctors advice if she thought it was for the best. But, if it was purely my decision, I would probably say no. My 9 1/2 lb baby was easier to deliver than my 8 1/2 lb baby. So I guess I wouldn't know what the exact weight would be in order to consider to large.

  29. fussygal

    pomegranate / 3580 posts

    totally depends. DD was born last week naturally at 10lb 9oz (we didn't know how big she was!). She made her entrance on her own, but if she hadn't we were set to be induced but that was due to being overdue and not size.

  30. MoonMoon

    pomegranate / 3391 posts

    My answer is personal to me and my situation, but I'm really afraid of the effects of induced/enhanced labor on the baby, me, milk production, etc, so I'd proceed with extreme caution.

    This would be my second delivery, and my first came early and was 8lb5 oz! If I managed to deliver him vaginally without issues, (& everyone had estimated that he'd be in the 6-6.5 lb range!) then I'd like to at least be allowed to try to labor/deliver without interventions before considering them.

  31. T.H.O.U.

    wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

    @fussygal: wow!

    I think either way there are risks particularly those of a c section. If you induce you may stall and end up with a csection because your body wasn't ready or you can wait and baby may be too big and gets stuck.

  32. kjpugs

    grapefruit / 4862 posts

    Probably, depending about how I felt about the information/who was sharing it.

    I'm so high anxiety about stuff, that if they thought there was a risk, I'd be freaked out. I'd rather err on the side of a slightly early induction than a bigger issue later.

    I totally get and understand the whole "our bodies being made to do this" thing, but I also know that women/children used to die from childbirth complications a lot more frequently. I think I have a healthy appreciation for a balance between modern medicine and mother's instincts.

  33. junebugmama

    nectarine / 2019 posts

    @MoonMoon: Your first sentence couldn't sum up any better the way that I feel.


You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee