Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

YNAB 2015 Chat Thread!

1. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

You own your version 4 software, so you can keep using it until it's no longer supported by newer technologies.

2. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@gotkimchi: Well, I've been reading about it a lot today trying to work through my feelings about it. Haha. As far as I've seen, YNAB is not even close to the most expensive option. With Dave Ramsay's competitor product coming in at $99/year. But it's also not the cheapest (although I've never used the cheapest option, so I can't compare).

There are a few issues I have with YNAB5:

1. I have known this was coming for a while. I understand why they want a subscription base model. It totally makes sense for them financially as a company. What I don't understand is why they chose the price they chose. They had an INSANELY affordable product, well worth the money and more. Now, they want about that same price PER year. It's a steep jump (almost triple, everything considered). I guess I originally expected $25 - $35/year. Which seems much more reasonable and I don't think it would have scared away so many customers. Not to mention, if I were a new customer, $50/year when I'm trying to cut back and save seems like a total NO on even trying.

2. Currency exchange. I don't pay $50, I pay $60+ dollars depending on the exchange rate. Right now, our dollar is so low that I would be paying ~$66.60. So, right there is a lack of consistency from year to year.

3. Web based model, ONLY. Now I can't access my budget if I don't have the internet? Now all my info is out there on the internets? Those 2 things don't sit right with me. But, I do think this is something I can get over because I'm already using dropbox.

Those are some of the things I'm struggling with. This morning I was a super no about it, but now I'm not sure. Maybe? Maybe after YNAB4 is no longer compatible with my computer software? Can I create an excel spreadsheet that satisfies me like YNAB does? I dunno. Ugh.

3. gotkimchi

nectarine / 2400 posts

@.twist.: I really agree with the web based! I want web based AND on my computer! I also was reading that some people were concerned they don't have the proper security credentials to keep your information safe - idk too much about that but it will be interesting to see what happens! I agree that the price seems high! I know they also said they won't cripple ynab 4 but idk why they would keep supporting it when they can make so much more money

4. TemperanceBrennan

pear / 1998 posts

@.twist.: I'm working through the same feelings. The bigger issue for me regarding the internet-only things is less about security (we don't have our account numbers in YNAB) or privacy - but being able to access it on our laptops or tablets when we don't have internet access - when we go to coffee shops and don't connect to internet (where we do our monthly budget meeting) or in the car during road trips (this happens pretty frequently with us).

5. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@TemperanceBrennan: I agree. Privacy, I can definitely get over. I don't put any real data in there that could be tracked back to me. People have argued (in the YNAB forums) that you can find ENOUGH info to get an idea about what kind of person you are, religious affiliation, ideologies, charities, hobbies, general spending habits.

@gotkimchi: I haven't read enough about their security credentials either. I know that I, initially, wouldn't be connecting my accounts to any of my banks. I'm just NOT ok with that. So, the rest of the privacy issue goes back to just not putting a lot of identifying info in my budget/notes. Which isn't hard. It just... sucks. It's definitely something I'm trying to work on getting over. LOL

6. gotkimchi

nectarine / 2400 posts

The new ynab launches in 2 days. I think I'm going to try it

7. TemperanceBrennan

pear / 1998 posts

The YNAB blog post today has me thinking about the new version. There are a lot of new perks that I like. Not sure it will make me jump the subscription/internet hurdle, but I am intrigued.

ETA: Here's the link http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2015/your-finances-will-be-less-tedious-super-focused-and-older-with-the-new-ynab/

8. artsyfartsy

cantaloupe / 6692 posts

@gotkimchi: I haven't heard anything about it. We've used YNAB regularly for 2 years straight now. I'll have to look into it!

9. DillonLion

GOLD / eggplant / 11517 posts

@TemperanceBrennan: Oh man that article just made the new YNAB super tempting!

10. cmomma17

honeydew / 7811 posts

Is this thread still active or will there be a 2016 one? I have questions!
    I have been using YNAB for years, but not following the "YNAB way" exactly.
    As a result, I don't think my numbers match up exactly (checking account to YNAB). I want to "reset" so my numbers are correct from here on out, but I'm scared to screw everything up!
    Any advice?

11. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@cmomma17: If it's only out a little I usually just do a fake transaction to even it up since I don't want to start again/lose my data.

12. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

I would love a 2016 chat thread too! I just started my free trial for the web based one and have lots of questions!

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee