Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki, @Marionberry: We have a king-size bed, so I have king-size pillows and I agree, they are great for cuddling at night. I don't really need it yet, so I don't use it every night, but it's there if I have trouble getting to sleep and need something soft to drape around. I haven't used it behing my head for a few months, because I had to go back to a queen-sized one that I only used for a month or so before we bought the king. It's one of those micro-foam cooling pillows from Bed Bath and Beyond, and is way more supportive than the king-sized down pillow. I usually manage to sleep throughout the night with it, and don't wake up with a sore neck. That only started when I was about 8-10 weeks along. I'm blaming it on pregnancy hormones!

2. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

I completely agree with you that teenagers should learn all of the stuff, I'm just learning in my thirties. @Loki: I feel a little ridiculous just learning all of this now, too. I was raised as a Catholic (and went to Catholic school), and there was definitely a lack of knowledge passed onto us wrt how our bodies work. And they wonder why there were so many teen pregnancies in our town?

I just finished reading "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine, and I heartily recommend it. It definitely opened my eyes to a lot of the things about pregnancy, childbirth, and post-partum that I hadn't read or heard anywhere else. I've tried to mention a few of them to my husband just to prepare him; although there's often no right time to bring some of the grosser things up, there is definitely a wrong time. Saying, hey, I may just poop in the middle of giving birth is not standard dinner conversation in our house!

In good news, I also have my anatomy scan tomorrow. So, wish me luck! After my first reworking of the EDD/appt list the other day, I didn't have the heart to do it again. I'm also finding it hard to pick up errors in memos at work, but thankfully I have someone here to proofread for me!

3. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: ya seriously i only remember learning sex ed in gr 7 and it was like a brief, brief, brief overview. did not talk about pregnancy at all! i guess they don't think it's important if they are just preaching abstinence. i JUST learned like last year that you can't get pregnant every day of the month! wtf! i'm 30!!! how do i not know that stuff?

my poor husband, he is being THOROUGHLY educated. haha. he's taking it all pretty well, thank god.

ETA: Also, yay on your anatomy scan! what time is it at?! are you finding out gender, i forget?

4. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@lulu22: I hear you on the belly button stretching too - I can't imagine what it's going to look like in a couple months - let alone 5 more!!! CRAZY!

5. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki: It's at 8:15 am. When is yours? Were you told to have a full bladder for this one? Was anyone? I don't remember, and when they called to confirm, they didn't say anything.

I recently found out a co-worker is pregnant, and due in mid-May, she's been "enlightening" her hubby, too. I'd say those poor men, but they don't have to experience it first hand!

6. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: I was told to drink 500ml of water an hr before mine

7. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Astro Bee: I had to have an empty bladder.

8. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Banana330, @Neekierose: For the 12w u/s I was told to drink 1 litre, and still had to expel some before the tech got a good image. I guess I'll go with 500 mL this time. I can always easily empty my bladder again. Thanks!

@Loki: Yes, we are hoping to find out. You too, right?

9. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: yes we're hoping to find out! I was told to drink 1L an hour before. Our appointment is at 9 and they told me to be finished it by 8!

10. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki: Gah, such conflicting instructions. Those were the same instructions I had last time, but they didn't say anything this time. Also, last time I was way too full, and I was told to pee out half a cup. Half a cup? There's no measurement system down there like the dispenser on some fridges! Anyway, it worked out fine, and she got good images. I was just hoping to avoid that uncomfortable feeling if I could this time.

11. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: Drink a full water bottle about 30 mins before your appt. You'll be fine! So excited for everyone finding out!

12. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

Can't wait to hear, @loki: @Astro Bee:!!

13. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

Hey everyone, so apparently I wasn't supposed to drink anything, but that was easily rectified. It was pretty amazing to see how big the baby was getting, and how we could now pick out all the details, including the one we were hoping to find out. And it turns out.... it's a boy!

My mom had already bought a pink and red heart sleep set, 'cause she was soooo convinced it was a girl. My little boy is going to be styling at night!

14. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@Astro Bee: ahh, I get chills & my eyes water every time one of you ladies annouce. Congratulations! That is so so exciting!

15. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: Yay! congrats... Lots of april boys!

I may have been waiting/refreshing hoping for a update!

16. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine, @Banana330: Aw, thanks! You ladies are so sweet. I definitely laughed about the refreshing comment!

17. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Astro Bee: I've been stalking too! So excited that you are having a little boy!

18. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

I wonder how much longer this boys at the beginning of the month and girls at the end trend will last? (Since I'm technically the end of March, we can still consider me part of the trend...ha)

19. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: ya I agree it's a really interesting pattern. I'm sure it will disappear once more are filled in.

20. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: congrats on your boy!!! i'm so happy for you. and glad you had a great experience.

i, on the other hand, did not. my lady was seriously so mean, it was horrible. i guess they have a policy at this place not to say anything, including gender. all in all, it was a really awful experience and i'm just hoping the baby is healthy... i got nothing from her so... i guess i'll find out in a few days i know it's silly but i can't stop crying

eta: i just typed a huge long email with the whole story to my best friend so if you're interested, let me know... it's long.

21. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@loki: it's not silly. I would cry too! Seeing your baby is a special moment & that lady obviously didn't respect that. I wish I could hug you right now! I hope you are able to call your doctor & get all the information you need/want!

22. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: i could not stop. even when she said "can you stop crying? i can't concentrate when you're crying". HELPFUL. my poor husband was in the waiting room though and could hear me sniffling and thought it was much worse.

23. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: Oh no! I'm sorry! Would she even point out what you were looking at?? I feel so bad for you and I would be crying too.

24. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: Oh poor thing! my Midwife said they do tell you gender at the appointment, maybe your doc had to specify it on your form? did you get pictures?

I know it it policy in Ont for them not to say much. I guess some clinics are stricter than others.

25. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: whhhhattt? Your husband wasn't allowed in and she told you to stop crying?! I want to hit her.

26. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: it's pretty common here that they only bring your partner in after they do the scan stuff they need to do to show you things. But they do allow them in at the end to see the baby etc... usually!

27. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: at the very end she brought my husband in and was like... there's the heart. there's the hands and feet. there's the face. and that was it. literally. she gave me 3 pictures... nothing special. if it was me i would totally sneak in a potty shot so people could come to their own conclusions, ya know? she was just so cold and callous. it was awful.

@Banana330: my dr told me they would tell me too!!! and my best friend JUST had her anatomy scan and found out (at a different clinic of course). so i just feel really ripped off

i'm going to call my dr today and see if there's anything she can do to rush results. i'm so sad because now when i found out it'll be via a phone call with my dr's office and then i'll have to call my husband at work to tell him! hardly the same thing

28. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: That's rubbish. hopefully your doctor can get you some answers quickly. Sounds like you just got a bad person on a bad day.

29. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: I'd be so mad. It was hard enough waiting to find out the gender after the scan, but at least for me that was self imposed. I would be so pissed if the tech knew and wouldn't tell me. I'm so sorry. Call your doctor and hopefully they can tell you that everything is good or at least give you a timeline for the results.

ETA: and by "I'd be so mad"...I am actually mad for you.

30. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: @NeekieRose: ya i'm just so disappointed. i wish they had mentioned this when i called to book the appointment so i could have managed my expectations, ya know? this must happen all the time at this clinic!!! warn people!!!! thanks for the sympathy, i'm really upset. my dr is pretty great so hopefully there's something she can do for me. now i'm less concerned about the gender and more just that everything is okay... although i was planning to register on sunday and would've loved to know if it's a boy or girl!!!

31. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: fingers crossed your doc can find something out today.

You've got me worried for mine on tuesday now!

32. windswept

coffee bean / 36 posts

@loki: I was just checking in to see the gender updates today....I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience, that's awful!! I don't blame you for being so upset. I really hope you hear from your doctor soon! Maybe even complain about that particular tech?

33. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: sorry i hope yours goes MUCH better! i have a friend who is a week behind me and i'm definitely gonna advise her to call ahead and find out if they will reveal the gender at her anatomy scan. if i had known this place wouldn't, i definitely would have gone elsewhere.

34. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@loki: Glad to know that, despite the terrible experience with that tech, you really like your doctor. Hopefully she can make it right before the weekend!

35. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@ineebee: i just talked to my dr's office and they said there's nothing they can do i could only speak to the receptionist and i bet if i spoke to the actual dr she'd get on it. buuuut i don't wanna be pushy. she said probably tuesday so i'll live. i'm mostly over it now (meaning i'm no longer crying at my desk like a crazy person).

36. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

I have to write a letter to my superintendent about when I'm planning on taking leave. My question is: When do people start taking maternity leave? In my situation, I'm going to be using all my sick time and still have to request some unpaid leave because I want to stay home with the baby til the end of the school year, which goes a little beyond the 8 weeks allowed. Is it naive of me to wait to start my leave when the baby comes? Should I plan on starting my leave a few days before I'm due? What do people usually do, or what do you think are the things to consider?

37. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@Astro Bee: Yay! Congrats!

@loki: I am so sad for you!! I would have been devastated too. I hope Tuesday comes quickly and you get to celebrate with DH!

38. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@ineebee: great question, can't wait to hear people's answers. at first i planned to work as long as possible/until i had the baby. but since i'm already so uncomfortable i don't know if i can handle the commute for that long. niterested to see what everyone suggests!

@Boopers: thanks

39. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@ineebee: A woman at my work worked til her due date. So it is possible. Others have gotten government or company sick leave and then started their mat leave. But it's a bit different here with the full year of mat leave...

40. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@ineebee: Hmm I think it depends. I am also a teacher and plan to start my leave once baby comes, unless I'm put on bed rest. I have to save all my days and don't qualify for FMLA because I just started with this new district. Because of that I can only take 6 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c-section. I won't be able to be off through the end of the year, which is a bummer.

Most pregnant coworkers have worked all the way to the day they had their baby basically. One coworker said she was scheduled to be induced on a Friday so she took the whole week off but ended up going into labor before the induction and ended up using those days off she had taken as part of her leave.

I would say do whatever you're most comfortable with! It might be difficult to know what to do now since babies have their own plans and come when they are ready! It's hard to plan exactly what time to take off so far out.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee