Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@loki: Exactly! It's already hard, and it's only the second trimester! How to continue working when we're huge?

@Banana330: @Boopers: Thanks for your thoughts. Good to know that it's possible. I also know that I have a low tolerance for working when I'm tired and uncomfortable. It would be nice to at least schedule some time to myself right before the baby comes, even if there's a risk that he might steal it from me by coming early!

@Boopers: Sucks that you have to go back to work before the summer! I feel for you. Movies and parties everyday!

2. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@ineebee: I worked until the day she was born (I had a scheduled c-section, so it's a little different). But I really didn't want to take any time off before that would take away from days that I got with the baby (it was 12 weeks no matter what, so if I took a week off before, that was one less week I'd have with Reagan). The other women in my office (not scheduled c-sections) have done the same.

I wasn't too terribly uncomfortable though and I would have gone stir crazy waiting for the baby at home. At least at work I had something to kinda distract me.

3. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: At least you know you will find out everything on Tuesday. Although, I would have had a hard time not demanding to talk to the doctor! Ha

4. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: I'm so sorry. That is just horrible! I can't imagine a scan like that here. Usually techs are very nice and if they see something you usually talk to the doctor right away. Did the tech even look at the legs? If so, the penis is usually pretty easy to spot. so if you didn't see it, then maybe it's a girl??
    @astro bee: Congratulations! Boys are the best...my son is the light of my life!
    @ineebee: I worked right up until my scheduled c-section and my friend worked until the day of her labor. Usually you'll want to meet with someone in hr prior to your leave to get the papers ready and to learn all about your FMLA benefits. Once you do that it's as simple as an email to them saying you just had your baby to officially get on leave. If you do want to take a few days off toward the end you can, but I'd recommend saving them for when you have baby...or at least only taking half days so that you don't lose as much PTO but still get a rest.

5. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@marionberry: she showed us like the side profile of the babies so we saw the legs there. but the rest of the time when she was taking her measurements, i couldn't see the screen but i would have been desperately hunting for SOMETHING if i could... i'm over the gender now and just praying that everything is ok with baby. i think her silence is partly due to policy, partly due to her being a miserable b but i'm hoping it doesn't mean more...

ETA: baby. i said babies up there. but there's definitely only one! haha

6. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki: Oh my gosh, I feel so horrible for you. This is such a special time, and for her to treat you so callously is unconscionable! Stop crying, indeed. You should definitely report her. I also think it's strange that they don't let your husband in with you during the scan. Do they think he'll run around the room pulling on plugs and disrupting things!?!I understand not being allowed to bring children in, but an adult? There are a lot of things that they have to measure, but a simple, politely put request to lie still and quiet at the start isn't too much to ask, rather than her snapping at you when you were reacting to her rudeness, to begin with.

We had the same ultrasound tech as for our 12w scan, and she was great. Especially since both me and my husband have imaging backgrounds, and had questions about the technology, as well as what we were seeing on the screen. She pointed out everything to us as she imaged/measured it. And then she asked if we wanted to know the sex, and of course we did! My husband said that he knew it was a boy right before she asked us, because she skimmed right past and he saw the "evidence." I must have blinked, because it was really obvious.

We also asked what their policy is regarding telling us if something was wrong. She said that she could tell if there were irregularities, but it was the radiologist that makes the assessement, which is then forwarded to the doctor, who tells us. She's not allowed to tell us if there is something wrong. We told her that we were going on 2 week's holidays on Sunday, and wouldn't be around, and that our doctor had told us that if there was an big, big issue that might cause us to electively abort, we would have to deal with it really soon (our doc said the radiologist would probably come in and tell us right there). That's based on the policy for elective abortions in Canada, which are very difficult to obtain after a specific date without a lot of paperwork.

In any case, our technician said to us that she can't tell us anything, but that she wouldn't worry about it. Which is as good as telling us that baby is healthy! Honestly, healthy is all we all really want, and I didn't even know until she said that how much I would worry until I was told if she hadn't reassured us.

7. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: thanks for your understanding. i feel really badly for monopolizing the board! this was SUCH an amazing and happy day for you and i definitely don't want to take away from tha! i'm so so happy you had such a great experience. and that she told you not to worry! yay! where are you going? (you might have already told us, i'll blame this question on baby brain! :p)

8. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Loki: No way are you monopolizing the board! And I definitely don't feel that you are taking anything away from me... we are all in this together (as tears well up in my eyes), so don't worry. I hope you get your results soonest from your doctor. All I can think is that the technician must never have been in our shoes to have treated you so. Or otherwise, she really is just a b!

We're heading to Turkey (Istanbul and Gallipoli) and Greece (Athens, Corinth, Delphi, Santorini) for our trip. We have a lot we want to see, but will be taking it day by day in deference to baby and my energy levels.

9. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: thanks so much honestly my first thought was i hope she is not a mother because she is so cold and lacking compassion in every way. i had to ask for kleenex... she could clearly see i was wiping away tears and just let me for the longest time, without even offering tissues! i can't even imagine seeing another human being upset and reacting like that. ugh.

omgggg what an amazing/exciting trip!!!! lots to see but also beautiful places for relaxation (i've only been to greece but heard turkey is amazing!). i'm so so envious! hope the three of you have the best time. you'll have to fill us in when you're back!

10. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

@Astro Bee: Hurrah!
    @loki: That sounds like such a bad experience; I'm so sorry things were like that. I will be refreshing madly Monday and Tuesday to see what you find out. hugs.

11. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Ineebee: I've been thinking the same regarding working til my due date, and wondering if I was being naive.

Thanks @Boopers and @Banana330 for clearing that up. If all goes well I'll still plan to.

Part of the decision involved my mom (and dad) planning to come visit the week or so before I'm due. I just know my mom will drive me up the wall. She's very passive aggressive, and I deal better with short visits and phone calls. They live clear across the country.

12. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Astro Bee: can your parents come after the baby comes vs before? It's really nice to have the help afterward. My parents helped for the first two weeks and I'm hoping they will again.

13. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Marionberry: I would absolutely appreciate any and all help from my parents and in-laws after the birth. I haven't had any in-depth conversations wrt their expectations for being present for the birth (I don't want anyone but my husband and medical staff in the delivery room), but my mom has mentioned several times about coming to visit me beforehand so she can be here for it. Not sure how I can minimize this, as she is very sensitive, as well, and is easily offended. Funnily enough, she has a twin sister who is the exact same and mom is always making these comments to me about her! Pot, kettle?

14. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

Hopefully we'll get to update this with lots of boy/girl very soon - including @loki, I can't believe they wouldn't tell you during the AS, that is awful!

I had an appointment yesterday and scheduled my AS for next Friday. They said it's a 90-minute appointment. I haven't heard of anyone's AS taking that long but I guess I won't mind spending that much time looking at our baby on those amazing huge screens they have at our imaging center (like big-screen TVs facing toward you as you lie there, it's wonderful). They also told me to arrive with an empty bladder so I'm happy to be through with that crap.

Our parents have been asking us about nursery colors already. I'm thinking about doing a kind of elegant-looking blue/gray with dark espresso furniture, regardless of the baby's sex. Maybe some airy white touches to lighten the feel of it a little bit, like this awesome paper butterflies mobile I found on Etsy, and/or those pretty Umbria wall flowers that people use. Anyone else thinking nursery colors/theme?

Upcoming Appointments
    11/11 - ineebee (AS), marionberry (appt), Banana330 (AS)
    11/14 - PawPrints (AS)
    11/18 - SunshineMcC (AS)
    11/20 - As Time Goes By (AS)
    11/20 - Rockies11 (AS)
    11/24 - Marionberry (AS)
    11/25 - NeekieRose

Due Dates
    3/28 – Neekierose (#2)
    4/1 – Boopers , Astro Bee
    4/3 – As Time Goes By
    4/5 – ineebee
    4/6 – Lulu22
    4/7 – Pawprints
    4/8 – Dancingbee, Brownie, anonysquire (#2)
    4/9 – SunshineMcC , loki
    4/10 – Windswept
    4/11 – Marionberry (#2, TWINS), BCHossley
    4/15 – Mrs.Pinecone316
    4/16 – Banana330
    4/18 – MeredithNYC
    4/19 – Lilyofthewest
    4/21 – Rockies11 (#2)
    4/23- Mrs. Sunshine (#2)
    4/24 – Jenn23 (#2)
    4/30 – Delight (#2)

15. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@PawPrints: I did lavender, white & gray with DD...I'm thinking of coral, gold & white for this baby but I'm not sure! Her room still isn't even emailed out yet lol

16. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: Lavender/white/gray sounds lovely. Do you have photos you'd be willing to share?

17. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: we're doing yellow, grey and navy as the base regardless of gender. We've started to get a few thing and get our crib on Monday!

We're away for a long weekend in the finger lakes, looking forward to some walks and good food plus a little shopping on the side

18. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@PawPrints: thank you for updating the calendar. It's so fun seeing it get so colorful! I can't wait to hear what you're having! My doctor didn't require a full bladder either which was nice.

As for nursery stuff, we are in a rental so we can't piant, but we want to do navy, gray, and pops of orange. The furniture we want is white so I think it'll match nicely with what we want to do. Now it's just a matter of deciding how much money we want to spend on everything. We don't want to spend a ton of money!

19. TravelBee

coffee bean / 33 posts

I'm having such a difficult time deciding between the espresso furniture look and the airy white furniture look for the nursery. I spend way too much time on Pinterest being indecisive. I'm so envious of you all who are decisive and making plans!

I'm really hoping that finding out the gender Wednesday gives me more direction.

20. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Astro Bee: I had to have a rough talk with my mom about not having her at the hospital until an hour or two after ds was born. I don't think she liked it but she got over it. She sounds a lot like your mom. I tried to explain about how they push for instant skin to skin and breast feeding and I didn't want to do that with an audience. Best of luck!

Jack's room was done very gender neutral with turquoise, mustard and grey as primary colors. I'm not sure how I'm doing the twins' room if they're both boys but if at least one girl I'm doing navy and peach.

21. Mrs. Sunshine

@PawPrints: not on this phone. I'll try to post tomorrow!!

22. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Astro Bee: @marionberry: sounds like i have a similar relationship with my mom! it is gonna be interesting with her only grandchild coming into the mix... i love her but after 15 minutes i am losing my mind. haha. it's quite the dynamic and makes me really worried about this baby maybe being a girl! i want to have a way better relationship with her than i have with my mom...

@PawPrints: i'm mostly so excited about finding out the gender so i can start planning the nursery! i have ideas for both... for a girl i think i'm gonna go super airy & light. i wanna paint the walls a really light mint with soft pink/white/gold accents... like i got those gold polka dot wall decals. i'm going with a gray brown crib and likely a white dresser to mix things up. for a boy i think i want to do navy walls and i'll go gray brown crib with dark brown dresser maybe. i want it to be ultra masculine with lots of canadiana... flannel & hockey skates & the bay stripes. that kinda thing. i have been obsessed with White Faux Taxidermy for eons so I am geting something from them either way. Probably the white deer head with gold antlers for a girl and the moose head for a boy! My husband thinks i'm nuts but i've ALWAYS wanted something so now is my excuse i don't care about it being gender neutral because we probably wont' be in this house for our second! so i'm excited to make it super feminine or super masculine depending

23. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Astro Bee: @marionberry: It hadn't even been 24 since I told my mom I was pregnant the first time and she was asking about being in the delivery room. I said no, and her feelings were hurt, but she caught me off guard! I ended up not really having to deal with it though because she lives in CO and we live in Virginia. A later conversation helped her realize that it was not practical for her to be there, as we didn't know when I would go into labor and even if she got on the next plane, she likely wouldn't make it. Ended up with a scheduled c-section so she flew in two days after and stayed for 11 days. It was fine, but I wouldn't have wanted her there before. We have a good relationship, but definitely push each other's buttons when we are together.

24. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: This baby is going to be a typical second baby and get hand me downs. We had decided that if this baby was another girl, that we wouldn't change the nursery at all. Reagan will be moved into her "big girl room" (and into a big girl bed at 17 months...that's not crazy...). So we have to design and decorate Reagan's big girl room. The plan is for the girls to share a room in a couple years and turn the nursery into a play room until they get older and want their own rooms.

25. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

I don't have any pictures of the nursery after it was finished. But here are the pictures from a month or so before Reagan arrived. The dresser hadn't arrived yet and we replaced the rocking chair with a recliner. We also added a white tall bookcase. We chose green for the walls in case the next baby was a boy, in which case we would have done green, navy, and gray.

26. yellowbird

honeydew / 7303 posts

Total thread stalker here! I'm a march mama, maybe April since my due date is 3/30 so I like to follow you ladies too.

@loki: I can't believe how awful your anatomy scan tech was!! That's crazy to me. I hope you get some answers soon and your babe is happy and healthy in there! I find it so strange she showed you a couple things but refused gender.. so mean!

27. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: so cute, love the green & pink! similar to what i'd be doing if this is a girl!

@yellowbird: stalk away, we are happy to have you! ya it was awful... i'm still not over it, although i don't tear up everytime i think about it after this weekend! haha. hoping to get the results tomorrow or wednesday and move on from that super negative experience! i'm glad it seems to be the exception and not the rule so no one else has to deal with it.

28. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

How's everyone doing with weight gain? Too much, too little, goldilocks?

I'm at 17w1d and I'm still 4-5lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight. I lost that weight during a 3 week stretch where absolutely all food seemed dull and unappealing (6.5ishw-9.5ishw) and haven't put anything back on since.

My midwives aren't concerned, but, I'm starting to be. The bump's outward and upward expansion means that I perpetually feel like I'm wearing tights that are too small (and can't take off!) which does not make me hungry. I also am getting uncomfortably full very quickly -- yesterday I ate an egg and got halfway through a yogurt cup for breakfast.

29. Mrs. Sunshine

@lilyofthewest: I'm 16+4 & I haven't gained a single pound. I remember not gaining at all in the first tri last time either so I'm trying to feel concerned but I'm a little worried that if I haven't gained by my next appointment (the 18th) that my OB is going to say something. I don't have a scale at home so I weigh once a week at the most so I don't worry about it too much. I don't remember when I started to gain last time but it was a fairly slow gain & still ended up gaining 50 pounds! It came off easily so I'm trying not to over think it based on my previous experience that worked out just fine

30. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@lilyofthewest: I still haven't gained any, but as of my last appointment I hadn't lost anymore either, which the midwife was glad to see. Too bad DH and I both got a wicked stomach bug this weekend and I lost more.

With DD, I lost 15lbs in the first trimester then slowly gained back those same 15lbs through the second two trimesters, ending exactly where I started. With this pregnancy, I am down 12lbs (about 4 due to the aforementioned stomach bug). So I am hoping to end up only a little above my starting weight. I am overweight to begin with though, but something about being pregnant helps me actually lose weight. Ha

31. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@lilyofthewest: i lost about 12 lbs in the first trimester so i'm still not up to my pre pregnancy weight... only a couple pounds off probably. i am trying not to stress/think about it so i'm not weighing myself at home and waiting until dr's appts. i started off weighing a loooot more than i would have liked so i'm hoping to keep my weight gain to 20-25 lbs. any weeks i don't gain weight are wins in my book haha. i also dont' have a great appetite and get full a lot sooner than i used to. i figure listening to my body is the best bet and if i'm not hungry, i'm not going to eat! small meals often is probably the best bet.

eta: i said best bet twice... sorry haha.

32. lilyofthewest

pear / 1697 posts

Thanks all! That is reassuring.

33. loki

pear / 1787 posts

Also, i just posted a thread about this but thought i'd share it here. You can get a free breast feeding cover at https://www.uddercovers.com/ with code TURKEYUC. I had to pay $15 in shipping for it since I'm in Canada but the shipping must be cheaper in the states. they're regularly $35 so i think it's a good deal. my friend has one and loves it! Thought you guys might wanna take advantage

34. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: I got that cover with DD. I don't remember what US shipping was? Closer to $7 maybe? But it's a great cover, the only one I used. I also got the car seat cover from one of the sister sites for "free", aka shipping. And I used that all the time. Highly recommend. And all those sites are always "free" with a code, so hopefully no one actually pays the list prices!

35. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: oh i need to find the car seat cover site! do you happen to remember where it was from?

36. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: http://www.carseatcanopy.com/ A quick google search says the free code is PJBABY

At the bottom of all those sites they have "sister sites" and they all pretty much have the same deal. Here is the listing of sites:
    NURSING BRACELET
    CARSEAT CANOPIES
    BABY SLINGS
    NURSING PILLOWS
    MATERNITY BAND
    BABY LEGGINGS
    WASHABLE BREAST PADS
    BABY CARRIERS
    RUFFLE BUNS

37. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@NeekieRose: you are my hero! i know what i'm doing at work today

38. youboots

honeydew / 7622 posts

Hi gals, March Mom here. I read along with y'all too. @lilyofthewest I wanted to pop on and let you know I was in your place several weeks ago. I was not eating a ton and still had food adversions. I had maybe gained a pound at 16 weeks. Now I'm up 10-12 lbs at week 23. I'm starving all the time and have had two dinners some nights. Baby is growing a ton during this time.

39. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@loki: Sounds productive to me! I will say that the only things I ended up getting were the canopy and nursing cover. Both are great! But I don't know anything about any of the other products or if they are worth it.

40. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@youboots: welcome my best friend is due mar 5 and says in the last couple weeks or so she is FAMISHED all the time and eats all day long! i imagine that's coming for us soon too.

@NeekieRose: i only decided to get the carseat cover, nursing cover and nursing pillow... i registered for a very similar one anyways so i figured why not! i don't think i'll use the rest of the stuff!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee