Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 Mamas

1. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Ocean girl: Yikes. I think that's the first pregnancy casualty. Poor dress. Glad you'll be able to fix it.

@.twist.: Such a pretty baby!

2. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Thanks ladies! eek!

@lawbee11: Honestly, the bottom end kind of looks like a mermaid so can I go with that? hahaha

3. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: yay, baby! And yay for relief! Feels so good to have confirmation, doesn't it?

4. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@.twist.: OMG it totally does look like a mermaid! Maybe if it's a girl you should name her Ariel

5. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@.twist.: Yay for an awesome appointment, but bummer on not finding out yet!

@lawbee11: Ariel - brilliant!!

@Ocean girl: Glad the tear wasn't bad, but can totally understand being self-conscious about it all day.

6. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: omgosh yes. It totally does feel so good.

@lawbee11: haha. That was my all time fav movie as a kid and I TOTALLY would. Although I doubt my husband would let me. I will try though!

@Alivoo01: Yea it was a tiny bummer but not huge. I asked and the tech said that sometimes she can see signs of it being a boy or girl, but she said this early she would never say anything either way. So BOO. but I will find out in about 7 weeks!

7. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@.twist.: awww, gorgeous! yay! And I put in another vote for Ariel, haha

btdub, I totally had a grilled cheese last night

8. lawbee11

@msmay: I think I am going to have a grilled cheese for dinner tonight!

ETA: Although, maybe if I eat lots of hamburgers I will have a better shot at a girl

9. Alivoo01

@msmay: Quit with all the grilled cheese talk ladies because my craving for them is going to be insane if we keep this up! haha!

@lawbee11: Oooo. Good point! I prefer hamburgers over hot dogs, but we own a donut shop and we have tons of kolaches so maybe all the mindless kolache eating out weighed my hamburgers!! That would explain my baby boy! haha!

10. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Hey ladies, not sure how many, if any, of you saw my post about one of my bosses who I was extremely close with. She had cancer and pneumonia. She passed away this morning.

I'm just having a hard day.

11. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@.twist.: I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be keeping you and your boss's loved ones in my prayers today.

12. Alivoo01

@.twist.: I did see that post, and omg!!!! I am so, so sorry for your loss! =*( *hugs*

13. lawbee11

@.twist.: So, so sorry!! (((HUGS))) You will be in my thoughts.

14. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Thanks girls. It's been a rough day. My husband and I both lost someone close to us. He lost one of his good friends that he trains ninjutsu with and I lost my boss.

Life really does funny things to us that are still here. I don't mean to put a damper on our lovely thread. I'm really sorry ladies!

15. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: I'm so sorry to hear that. It's never easy to lose someone special, and it's even worse that both you and your husband have to go through that at the same time. When it rains, it pours.

I really like this poem and it has brought me comfort in the past:

"The Unknown Shore"

A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades
    on the horizon and someone at my side says
    She is gone.
    Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all.
    She is just as large now as when I last saw her.
    Her diminished size and total loss from my sight
    is in me, not in her.
    And just at that moment, when someone at my side
    says she is gone, there are others
    who are watching her coming over their horizon
    and other voices take up a glad shout -
    There she comes!
    That is what dying is.
    An horizon and just the limit of our sight.
    Lift us up O Lord, that we may see further.

~Bishop Brent

16. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: I'm so sorry. Hugs.

17. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@.twist.: So sorry for your and your DH's loss...hopefully you can find comfort in your memories of your boss and his friend. HUGS!

18. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@.twist.: I'm so sorry for you loss

19. Alivoo01

@.twist.: Don't be sorry! We're all here for one another through EVERYTHING!!

20. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

That's so much ladies. It's really, really nice that I can come here. I appreciate it so much.

21. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

So I've been spending my spare time the last few days starting to put a list together of everything we will need for baby. Then I started to go through the Babies 'R Us and Target websites to start planning what brands/items I want to put on my registry. Holy cow, there are A LOT of choices out there. I just spent an hour and a half researching crib mattresses, trying to find one that is organic or at least non-toxic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyone else been delving into the world of baby gear and feeling overwhelmed?

22. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@JamieLee: I have!! I had a whole list, almost a full registry list, that was on my phone and it disappeared! haha so i have to re-do it. But I'm right there with you!!!!

23. lawbee11

@JamieLee: Um, yes! I haven't started a registry, but I have started a mental list of everything we'll need and it's super overwhelming. Some stuff I already know what brands we want, but others I have no clue.

24. Alivoo01

@JamieLee: Same here!! After our NT scan on Monday, the hubby and I have actively started researching baby gear, and I'm so overhelmed! If it's not the brands, it's the price, or the style, or the color, etc. =( And that's just large baby furniture like a crib, car seats, etc. We haven't even started on smaller items like bedding, mattress, etc.

25. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: we have a crib from when my step-sons were babies however I'm worried that it's not up to date and we'll need a new one.

I tried searching for how to know if a crib is up to date but couldn't find anything more recent than 1987. If anyone has any knowledge about this I'd love to know about it!

26. Alivoo01

@.twist.: How old is the crib?

27. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: I know they can't have drop sides, slats are supposed to be no more than 2 3/8" apart, and corner posts shouldn't stick up more than 1/16". This is the CPSC's Crib Safety Page: http://www.cpsc.gov/Templates/cpsc/pages/SimplePage.aspx?id=52208.

There's also an article here about old cribs: http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/02/safe-sleep-part-1-the-crib/

Hope that helps a little. I was trying to explain to my in-laws why drop sides aren't allowed anymore so I was researching that stuff. They basically think that "That stuff was fine when my kids were babies, so it should be fine now." This is my constant battle with them! They also don't understand why babies these days need to much stuff. They didn't even have car seats when my husband was a baby. That wasn't that long ago!

28. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: @lawbee11: I have a super spreadsheet going based on lists I've found of what babies need and then I'm going through and researching what brands have good ratings or things I know my friends have loved. I don't trust my brain to remember it all, so I'll have to trust my computer!

So far, I'm definitely going for the Chicco KeyFit carseat because my friend said we can use their base for my husbands truck, so that will save us some money. I found a crib I love that is carried at a store near my dad's house (http://www.babysdream.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=200&zip=48128).

29. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: I believe at least 8 years. I'm not sure where it came from before then. If it was brand new or used I am not sure.

@JamieLee: Thanks for the info! I have a feeling it probably is a drop side crib. (That's where the one side can be lowered for more easy access to baby??) Ugh! I was really hoping I wouldn't have to buy a crib. lol

30. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@JamieLee: I am totally getting the chicco keyfit as well!!!!

31. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

Sorry to go off in another direction, but if any of you have good freezer recipes that you would recommend, can you please post them here? Also, can you recommend a brand or style of tupperware to store it all?

I want to compile a list of freezer meals that I can make in the last couple weeks. I don't think we're going to have much help when the baby comes, just because our place is so small it's hard to accomodate anyone for more than a couple of nights.

I'm not interested in joining any kind of recipe club or paying membership (I know there are some online) because it would be too much for me to keep up with and I woudln't get my money's worth.

32. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: Sorry to hear about the loss of your boss :(. I heard that cribs with a drop down side (instead of fixed) are no longer considered safe. With that being said, I know my boss is still using the same crib with his third child (that's drop down) and his wife works in L&D at the hospital as a nurse!

@JamieLee: these were the two mattresses I saved on Amazon.com as possibilities:

http://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Classica-Crib-Mattress-Beige/dp/B002EL4J14

http://www.amazon.com/Willow-Natural-Coconut-Palm-Mattress/dp/B001N44BXE/

Speaking of gear, has anyone heard of the new Graco Snugride Click Connect car seat? Looks really nice!:

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRide-Click-Connect-Grapeade/dp/B00AHVR1UY/

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18597566

Sorry I've been out of communication the last day; I had a really rough day yesterday (actually have had a really rough week...I keep on bursting into tears at work, which is not a good thing). Yesterday I was nauseous all day, had a migraine all day, and was dealing with my cat (who lives with my mother) refusing to eat for two weeks and going into liver failure as a result. The vet wanted us to take him to emergency for an ultrasound, xray, feeding tube, and there's just no feasible financial way I can handle that, so I broke down. Yeah, in my office, on the phone with the vet, in my boss's office...it was not pretty. My vet agreed to put in the feeding tube at their office instead (because another vet there used to work at emergency and had done it before), so I'm waiting to hear the results of that. Crossed fingers that it worked and he's starting to take in food again.

Anyway, I couldn't eat dinner last night (recurring problem most nights thanks to the nausea), ended up retching in the shower, and woke up at 4am to make myself eggs and toast. I think I'd like some whine with my cheese!

33. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Modern Daisy: I have a TON on my Pinterest board. I haven't really tried too many yet (I did make a huge batch of twice baked potatoes, then we lost power for a week last March and lost our entire freezer, so I'm going to be waiting until winter storm season is over to start restocking!) Here's my board: http://pinterest.com/jamie_mork/freezer-friendly-foods/

We did make a lot of english muffin breakfast sandwiches for the freezer once upon a time. We haven't made them in a while, but they're great for a quick, healthy breakfast.

34. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@JamieLee: Thanks! I'm not on pinterest though, how do I join?

35. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@StrawberryBee: Oh my word! What a terrible day. I'm so sorry about your cat! I don't know how I could cope if my dog was having health problems on top of all the pregnancy hormones. I've been a basketcase as it is without much provocation.

I actually had those two mattresses on my narrowed down list. I think I'm going to go with this one: http://www.target.com/p/lullaby-earth-super-lightweight-2-stage-crib-mattress/-/A-13972722?reco=Rec%7Cpdp%7C13972722%7CClickCP%7Citem_page.vertical_1&lnk=Rec%7Cpdp%7CClickCP%7Citem_page.vertical_1

I was looking at the new Graco Click Connect 40 carseat that supposedly goes from infant to 40 pounds so will fit them rear facing until 2 years old, but all the reviews say to use the settings for bigger kids, you have to put the front seat too far forward. My backseat in my Jeep isn't especially large, so I don't know that it would work for us. If I had a bigger backseat though...

36. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Modern Daisy: If you click the link, there's a Join button at the top. You just have to connect it to your Facebook or Twitter, or I think you can join with just your email. I LOVE it for organizing things like recipes, nursery inspiration, and craft projects!

37. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: I'm so sorry about your cat. I feel you on the bad week too so we can internet hug it out. *huuuuuuuuug*

@Modern Daisy: What is this nonsense?! Not part of pinterest! Oh my. You need an invite STAT! hahaha jk. It totally might not be your thing, but dammit I am so addicted!

38. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@StrawberryBee: Aww, I'm so sorry about your cat

@.twist.: I know, I don't know how I've avoided it for this long! I think since I don't have access at work I just haven't been interested. But people on my FB newsfeed always post Pinterest things and it looks so awesome.

39. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Modern Daisy: OH. well that makes perfect sense. You don't have access at work. I'm pretty sure the majority of pinterest activity is between the hours of 8 and 5 LOL!

40. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Modern Daisy: I dont have the recipes now, but I have been collecting them for a while and have a huge list at home. I'll share it soon as I can. Also, I plan to make a bunch of these sooner than later so I know what we like and dont like...I promise to keep you posted with my progress!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee