Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Moms!

1. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

Is anyone buying a baby carrier to wear their baby in? I didn't wear my son at all, but with a toddler to chase after, I think wearing the new baby would make it easier for me to keep up and play with him. If you're buying a carrier, which one are you getting?

2. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@aprild: I have an Ergo that I loved, but I didn't wear my LO until he was about 6 months old. I have an infant insert for it, but I'm wondering if it will be super hot in August/September. I'm thinking of getting maybe a Moby or K'tan for the early days?

3. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@aprild: We will have 3. My cousin is sending me a baby k'tan for the early days. Then we are purchasing a Tula Ring Sling and a Tula Standard Carrier. We picked Tula over Ergo bc they are supposed to be more comfy to wear.

4. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@aprild: I wore my first a lot. He hated sitting in his car seat or stroller (unless it was moving) so until he could sit up on his own in places like the grocery cart and restaurant high chairs, I wore him.
    I started with a moby wrap and an ergo with the infant insert. I could never get the hang of wrapping, and after trying a friends ring sling, I knew I wante one for times when I didn't want to take the time to get the ergo set up.
    I gave my moby away and still have my ring sling. I liked my ergo, but never loved the way it fit. After loaning it to a friend (with the insert) I bought myself a tula for this baby. Im excited to try it out. I anticipate a lot of baby wearing!

5. danda

kiwi / 635 posts

@aprild: For my 2 year old, we had used an Ergo with infant insert and we still babywear her in a standard Kinderpack or toddler tula. I found the Ergo with insert really bulky though so I'm getting the K'tan to use for the first few months.

6. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@lilteacherbee: I always wanted to try a ktan, but since I had a perfectly good ring sling I couldnt justify it.
    I found that my son was too hot in the infant insert in the ergo, so, I took the little bittom cushion out of the bottom of the infant insert, and just used that, helped boost him up a little, but didn't make him hot. I also had a big baby, but if I recall so did you? i felt he was big enough to not need the full insert, but we did use the "seat" for several months.

7. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@AprilD I have a K'tan on my registry for when he's little and also an Ergo Performance for when he's older (it's the Ergo that the whole front is basically mesh instead of thick fabric - we live in a REALLY hot climate). If no one gets them for us I will probably just buy the K'tan since it's a lot cheaper - then see how he likes it/I like it.

@Torchwood your little lady is looking good! I know it must be rough on you having her in the NICU. It sounds like she is doing well though. I hope she'll be able to come home very soon!!

I woke up with bad menstrual cramp-like pain in my lower back and lower belly, got kind of freaked out thinking I hope I'm not going into labor! But, they've gotten better now so hopefully everything is okay.

8. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Had a 3D ultrasound yesterday! It wasn't great- she was IN my hip (YAY head down!) and covering her face most of the time but we did get one or two good pics. And we thought they really looked like twins! (Comparing DD1's 3D U/s pics!)

9. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

@aprild: We have a beco gemini, and someone also bought us a pouch carrier (something like this: http://www.target.com/p/rockin-peacock-reversible-pouch-navy/-/A-16859330#prodSlot=medium_1_29.) We registered for the beco gemini mainly because it works for people between 5' and 6'5", so DH and I can both use the same carrier - both the gemini and the pouch carrier can be used from newborn thru 35-40lbs without an infant insert.

10. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

@kjpugs: Oh my gosh, they DO look alike!

11. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@kjpugs: twins!

12. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@aprild: I have a boba fabric carrier (kind of like a moby but stretchier) that I plan to use with her as a NB, then also an ergo (didn't love it but planning to try again) and a Mei Tai (LOVED- it's kind of a cross between a structured carrier and a soft carrier) and plan to try them all again. I have some back issues so I don't know what my limitations will be but I want to try a little harder this time... ya know, chasing a toddler! I had a k'tan but returned it- I couldn't get a good fit (they are sized.)

13. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@raspberries: @buttermilk: It was crazy, we were like "are you sure you didn't just pull video from last time!?" They act so similar too. Everyone's been saying how they'll probably be such different babies/people but we've been surprised thus far at how alike they are, in-utero at least

14. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@aprild: We have 2 Tula's (one for hubs and one for me) and a ring sling. I loved and used all of them with my first and plan to again with this baby. I also have a woven wrap but I don't love the blend so I'm looking to sell and possibly replace it with a different one.

Out of everything, the tula is by far the most convenient and comfortable, even hubs wore DS allllll the time in the tula.

@kjpugs: Adorable and so similar! Both with the smushy little pouty lips! Can't believe that before long these babies will be out and in our arms!

15. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@getjazzy: thanks! SO TRUE! And I'm glad you mentioned the Tula. If my back can handle it I may try renting one (they allow that!) since I've heard such amazing things! I was thrown a little because it looks so much like an ergo but I figure the million moms shouting their love can't be wrong!

16. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@kjpugs: I don't know how the tula does it but it makes kids feel weightless. I too, wondered how different ergo and tula could be but after hearing everyone who goes from ergo to tula, I decided to skip the middle man and buy a tule first figuring I could sell if it wasn't for us since resale is so good on them. It was definitely love though!

17. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@aprild: we're getting a hand me down ergo carrier as well as a hand me down bjorn (although we don' plan on using the bjorn since its a crotch dangler!)

@lilteacherbee: my friend said she rolled up a receiving blanket to go in the bottom instead of using the infant insert and it worked well and wasn't as hot!

@kjpugs: totally twins!!!

18. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

We have a k'tan active sized to me and an ergo 360 that we will set up to fit DH for the first few months, then we will share the ergo when she is bigger.

19. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

We have a K-tan and a becco Gemini. I really like the Becco.

20. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Portboston: Good to know!

@kjpugs: Totally twins!! My boys look a lot alike in their 3D ultrasounds, too! I'm so curious to know what Carter will look like when he's born.

@OhCaptain: Yes, he was an almost 9lb-er, but slowed down a lot after he was born (I think in his first year he was between 20-40%tile in weight). We started using the Ergo when he was 5ish months and probably 15 or so pounds. I think we used the seat for a bit just so he could see out a little more.

21. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@Torchwood: Gorgeous little girl. So happy you are all doing well!

22. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@aprild: We have a Solly baby wrap for when she is itty bitty and then Ergo for when she is older. My son never really liked being worn but since I'm going to have a newborn plus him to chase after I'm really hoping I'll be able to wear this one regularly!

23. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

How do you know when your baby drops? I never noticed that DS dropped like some women say they do but he was induced at 37 weeks so maybe he never did. I'm 35 weeks today and the last few days I've been feeling like baby girl is going to slip out of my vagina at any moment, lol. DH says my bump doesn't look any lower though.

24. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@aprild: I purchased a moby this time since I'll be chasing after a toddler! It will be winter still when lo is born so I'm not worried about getting too hot when using it. I may invest in a tula when baby is a bit older if she likes being worn!

It's officially July here in New Zealand today! 32 days until my due date. I wonder how many August babies are going to be born this month?!

25. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: Im a FTM so I really have no clue but have you taken any profile pictures? Maybe you could tell that way?

26. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@Torchwood: congratulations!! She is precious.

@aprild: we are hoping to get an ergo and a solly wrap for when he's real little. Though I have heard to keep the receipts or buy after they get here since babies can be picky as to which they like.

ahh, y'all, my feet get so swollen at the end of every day. Can't believe I've got 59 days to go

27. Mizhi

coffee bean / 46 posts

I tried both the Ergo and the Tula at a baby fair a little while ago. The Tula was noticeably more comfortable! I've been meaning to get one, but I'm not loving the patterns they have at the moment ... For those of you who own one, are they "cool"? My concern with baby wearing is that it will be too hot for baby (and me).

I just realized it's July. Just yesterday it seemed like baby was so far away ... and now there's a month left to go?! I need to get my butt in gear and order the last remaining things I need so they ship here in time ...

And I need to get my butt in gear with freezer meals, but my body feels like it got hit by a train. The third trimester is definitely taking its toll ...

28. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: My belly dropped visibly last time but this time it feels like baby has been crushing my cervix and ready to fall out for many weeks. Lots of pinching, pain and cramping on my cervix. No idea if it means anything!

29. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@lilteacherbee: I have heard people complain about the Ergo being hot in the summer, so I think getting something more lightweight might be a good idea

@buttermilk: I have a friend who swears by Tula, so I think I might buy one of those. Everyone seems to think they are more comfortable than the Ergo, and they come in so many pretty patterns!

@OhCaptain: I have looked into ring slings. Are they comfortable to wear over extended periods of time? It looks like all the weight is on one shoulder.

@danda: The K'tan seems like a good option and a lot less complicated than a wrap!

@MrsADS: The Ergo performance sounds like a good option. It's been crazy hot here too, so I can't imagine carrying a baby in the regular Ergo until maybe October when it starts to cool off a little.

@kjpugs: They do look alike!

@raspberries: I've heard of the Beco Gemini. That's another good carrier that people seem to like.

@kjpugs: I actually bought a K'tan with my first, but never used it because I bought the wrong size. It's hard to know exactly what size to get, and the material stretches a little, so it seems better to size down.

@getjazzy: Glad to hear you like the Tula! That's probably the one I'll go with, because I keep hearing how much people love theirs.

@Portboston: I had no idea what a crotch dangler was with my first, and the Bjorn is a popular carrier where I live. I'm surprised people use them so much with all the ergonomically correct baby carriers available now.

@Mrs. Microscope: That sounds like a good variety. I hear people like the K'tan a lot for when the baby is still small.

@kayakgirl73: I haven't seen many Beccos around, but they seem like a good carrier!

@Mrs.Scientist: I think wearing your newborn will make life much easier with a toddler! At least that's what I'm hoping lol

30. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I never really felt a drop with my son, and he was born after 40 weeks, so he must have dropped at some point. Maybe for some people it's a very gradual thing, so you don't notice it.

@MrsStar: It's crazy how close our due dates are! I hope my baby doesn't come in July though, just because I don't want him to be too early.

@LauraBear: Everyone who baby wears always tells me to try the carrier first before buying, but I think I would rather just take a chance and buy one. It seems like a lot of hassle to find one to borrow and then have to return it again. I will try to keep the receipt though!

31. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Mrs.Scientist this is my first as well so I don't really know but I feel like my baby "dropped" weeks ago! Everyone from the very beginning says I'm carrying SUPER low. And his head is like, grinding against my cervix and has been for weeks. I can't imagine him dropping much lower! But, maybe he will!

32. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@aprild: I had a k'tan and an ergo, and now I have a woven wrap too. I am probably going to sell my k'tan, and i am really interested in a Tula vs my ergo.

33. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

I have my baby registry set up on Amazon just so I can get the completion discount. Since this is my second, I won't be getting a baby shower, but there is still stuff I need. Anyway, DH gave me the green light to go ahead and buy everything, but I keep second guessing my choices. I'm someone who does a lot of research before purchasing something, and then I still wonder if I made the right decision. I just want to make sure everything I buy is the absolute best in each category for the money I'm willing to spend. Is anyone else like that? Is the registry stressing you out?

34. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@aprild: I just finished my amazon registry completion... And i was so disappointed! Only $100 of the $450 I ordered "qualified" for the completion discount... Saving me $15 instead of $60. So watch out! And it was all baby stuff from my registry, so I don't get it.

35. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@aprild: yes I'm absolutely the same way! Our shower was 3 weeks ago and I still haven't pulled the trigger to complete it on amazon. It's only little crap left too!! Hopefully this week

36. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Woke up today feeling OVER IT.

6 more weeks. Or more!!!

How am I gonna deal ladies? How do you handle the last month or so??

37. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@buttermilk: me too, I walked outside to take out the dogs before getting DD up, and it was like being hit by a brick wall. at 7am. And I can barely walk. AND I have 8 weeks left (ok 7 and change.) I could have cried. Not to mention LO has cut an hour of sleep a night because of daycare! OY! I made the mistake of reading my pregnancy updates from DD1 and pretty much the last 2 months + were just the same MISERY updates. But of course it was also a lot of "so I sat on the couch all weekend" which makes me INCREDIBLY jealous of past me who didn't have a toddler to chase, haha! I honestly don't know how I will survive.

38. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: ugh Im over it too. Im officially 35 weeks today....my feet and ankles are constantly swollen, I wake up super sore from laying on my sides yet Im still exhausted and want to sleep for 4 more hours...so done!!! At least Im off work in 3 weeks...it will be the longest 3 weeks of my life!

@kjpugs: Since the beginning of my pregnancy (& before) I've been leaning towards one and done for various reasons...reading all the second time moms posts I'm more convinced! I don't know how you all survive these last 2 months. I really couldn't imagine!

39. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Anyone having major rib pain? On Sunday I felt like my ribs were on fire! And today they are very tender/sore in the same spot.

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Portboston: @kjpugs: it's been going fast up until now bc we have had so many things to look forward to. Shower, vacation, mom visiting. Now there is nothing left and I feel like 8/11 is just staring at me on the calendar. I told DH we need to plan some more activities quick or I am gonna lose it!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee