Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms!

1. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Has anyone else pre-registered with their hospital? I just went through this process and got the confirmation that they want me to pay a deposit (approx. $1000) before my arrival. I really wanted to say, and what are you going to do? Refuse my admission to the hospital if I don't pre-pay? The lovely woman was all ready to send me to a financial counselor when I told her I wasn't willing to make a payment today.

Three years ago at the same facility, they didn't require a deposit based upon my progress toward my deductible and such. The woman just really rubbed me the wrong way today. Especially since I called them. I had pre-registered over a week ago online. My confirming email said I'd receive a call in 48 hours. I was doing the courtesy of calling them today since they never called.

Like I said, I'm just cranky.

2. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@MamaG: I preregistered a few weeks ago. There was no deposit required.

3. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@MamaG: I thought I'd prereg when I went to the class this past Sat, but they said I have to get the papers from my doctor so I'll have to ask about it on Friday.

So weird that they want a deposit (and a big one at that)!

4. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

My GBS test is next week, at 36 weeks.

@MamaG: I pre-registered but just faxed in the paperwork they needed and never did get a call back, I suppose I shuld follow up. No downpayment as far as I know. My OB's office had wanted me to make monthly payments, but I chose to just put that money into a savings account so I'm in control of it. If I had ended up overpaying it would've taken over a month just to get MY money back.

I went to a wedding this weekend and had a random couple (They know my parents at least) told me there was no way I was going to make it 6 weeks, apparently because I'm carrying so low?? My OB had pointed out that he is on my pelvis. There are times when I feel like he is head butting my lady region, or is going to shove a hand right out! Anyone else feeling baby that low?

5. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@MamaG: I pre-registered at 28 weeks but definitely didn't have to do a deposit!! What is that even for??

6. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MamaG: That's so weird. I pre-registered a while ago, and got a confirmation email, but didn't have to do any sort of deposit. I would be super peeved!

@josina: Oh man! I actually had someone in my office tell me that it looked like he had dropped lower recently, which kind of freaked me out. I definitely feel his head right in my pelvis, but I personally can't tell if he's lower now than he was, say, a few weeks ago. I'm just hoping he stays in there growing for a few more weeks

7. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MrsF: That makes sense why they would do it early for you, and just repeat if needed. I hope you were able to take it easy this weekend and are doing okay!! You too, @winniebee:

8. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@josina: I've carried both of my sons really low. I'm only 32 weeks and it feels like my cervix is stinging half the time because his great is right on it. last time he was at the 0 station for a long long time before birth.

9. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

The deposit is for my estimated portion of the bill. Unfortunately my insurance is crappy and even though I've already met my $4,000 deductible for the year, I have 10% coinsurance up to an additional $2350. I have about $1700 of my co-insurance yet to go through. I also had to pre-pay my OB services (about $300 estimated @ 10%). The amount the hospital is requesting isn't too far out of line with what I was billed three years ago. I'm just pissy.

I mean, I'm sure there are people that show up all the time in labor that never pre-registered and I'm sure they aren't demanded to pay at the door. And I'm certain even in our ACA world there are probably people that show up with no insurance. And I know plenty of people don't even bother to pay their bills. Not that I'm saying any of that is okay and I want to do the right thing. I just feel like everyone is after all my money lately and I really despise my health insurance.

10. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@winniebee: my cervix stings if I've been on my feet too long. I was wondering what that was.

11. Adira

@MamaG: It just seems CRAZY to me that you have to pay up-front!! I have never ever heard of this before!! I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

12. winniebee

@BandDmommy: yeah in pretty sure it's the baby's head pushing against the cervix. I had it last time too and it got crazy towards the end.

13. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@winniebee: I just heard from my OB that the urine had some protein but not enough to officially diagnose pre-eclampsia (yay!). My BP was high enough that they kept me in L&D for several hours on Friday and then again on Saturday (they had checked it when I went to drop the urine specimen off). I'm feeling kind of crummy, but it might be attributable to 3rd trimester sleep

What's really making me insane is that she told me I couldn't work this past weekend but she keeps kind of wavering on whether I can go back to work at all. I get the feeling that she doesn't want to be the "bad guy" and tell me I can't work, but I really need to know. I need to be able to tell work if they have to replace me or not and I sort of personally need to know what mentality to be in. She keeps telling me to relax and put my feet up when I'm at home, but a day (or night) at work means 12 hours on my feet and an hour commute each way. It seems really contradictory and isn't giving me much of an indicator of whether she actually thinks I'm having a problem or not. She just called me to check in and I'm so frustrated with myself for hanging up the phone without getting her to help me figure this out! I'm supposed to work 12 hours on Thursday so she scheduled for me to see her Wednesday. I'm pretty sure she's going to tell me she would rather I didn't go to work on Thursday but I just feel bad that I can't give them more notice.

Obviously the good news is that she's not concerned enough to put me on bedrest, etc. I don't know why this is making me so nuts, but I suppose I can blame it on crazy pregnant lady hormones

14. snowjewelz

@MrsF: I think all of us are feeling that 3rd trimester, almost there crappyness! I am glad you don't have pre-e tho! I also feel like she's pretty much saying you shouldn't work, she just doesn't want to outright say it.. Esp since it's not really possible for you to relax at your job!

15. winniebee

@MrsF: that is so frustrating! It seems like your job is just not compatible with resting at all. How bad would it be if you stopped working now? Even if you aren't on bed rest if you can rest a good chunk of time each day that probably would help the pre-e?

16. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@MrsF: is it possible to start maternity leave early? Or stop working till after the baby is born? Sorry your job is so tough on your body.

17. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

okay so I think I read my group b strep result wrong and maybe I don't have it. This is what it says on my online account: "No Streptococcus Group B isolated"- maybe that means I don't have it? I don't know! I'm going to email my nurse and ask her and also ask why they did my test so early!

18. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@whenoceansrise: I would interpret that as saying that you don't have it. As in - they did the culture and couldn't find any GBS.

19. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@snowjewelz: @winniebee: @BandDmommy: thanks for the support ladies. I don't know why this is turning me into a crazy person. I'm pretty sure DH thinks I'm insane Luckily I just talked to my mom on the phone and she was very helpful in validating how I'm feeling and basically giving me permission to stop working and not feel guilty about it - especially if it will keep me off bedrest at home so I can take care of M. The silly part is that I'm 99% sure my OB agrees and just wants to let me make the decision (sort of a downside to being a medical person myself). I'm sure that if I tell her on Wednesday that I don't feel comfortable working she'll sign anything that I need her to and I can get my short term disability, etc. I think we're just not communicating very well. I'm going to get the ball rolling on all of that tomorrow and just work it out with her on Wednesday.

20. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@MrsF: sounds like a good decision!! Keep that baby cooking!!

21. MrsScallop

persimmon / 1328 posts

@MamaG: sorry you are going through that trouble with the hospital! I would be annoyed too if they asked for money when I registered!

@josina: I go back and forth between thinking baby is low and grinding on my cervix and high making me nauseated and unable to breathe well. This kid just seems to move all over the place!

22. MrsScallop

persimmon / 1328 posts

@MrsF: hooray for no pre-e! Sorry the dr isn't being straight forward about what you can/can't do, but it sounds like you are making the best decision you can regarding work to make sure that baby stays in! I hope your bp and protein levels don't increase any more!

23. MrsScallop

persimmon / 1328 posts

@whenoceansrise: I would say that is a negative as they could not isolate/find the gbs from your sample. Seems like good news!

24. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@MrsScallop: I feel the same way! This baby is seriously all over the place and sometimes all at the same time!

25. Adira

@whenoceansrise: haha, yeah, that sounds like you don't have it to me!

@MrsF: I think not working from here on out is a great idea! Especially giving how intense your job is and having to be on your feet all day. Do you know how that works with FMLA at all? Will you be using FMLA to cover your time pre-baby and does that mean you'll have to return to work earlier after the baby arrives? I don't know how that kind of stuff works.

26. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@MrsF: I'm glad you were able to reach a decision. Hopefully this makes for the best possible remainder of your pregnancy for you and your family.

Today will be a good day. This is my new daily mantra. I'm tired of being cranky. I'm tired of having a terrible three year old at home. We just need to get through the next few weeks with a positive attitude and smile. I got this!

On a positive note, my husband seems to be nesting. He got three put off projects done recently. And there will be more of it this weekend as I think our Christmas tree will be going up. I'm down to two weekends to wrap up all the loose ends and call myself ready.

27. snowjewelz

@MamaG: We def plan on getting a Christmas tree early too and hopefully it will stay alive till Christmas lol!

I am still soo sick annd I'm sooo tired of it. My throat hurts and I'm coughing my lungs out... If I'm still like this by Fri I'm really gonna need to ask my OB what I can do to feel better. I feel so bad that I'm constantly violently coughing; Kara is probably like, "what is she doing?!?! I'm trying to sleep!"

And my blood sugar has been high b/c I have to drink some honey w/ lemon to sooth my throat somewhat. Uggh!

28. winniebee

@snowjewelz: I'm sorry you don't feel well :(. Have you tried cepacol lozenges?

29. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@snowjewelz: When I had a cold that didn't seem to quit in early summer my OB said I could take any of the Tylenol cold products. As long as it was Tylenol based she was comfortable with it.

You might want to try the sugar free halls (strawberry is my preferred), I've always had good luck with them soothing my cough.

30. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MrsF: Ugh, I'm sorry your dr. isn't giving you a firm answer either way. That's so frustrating! I hope you are able to take it easy and stay home after your appt. this week.

@snowjewelz: Sorry you're still feeling sick! That's no fun.

31. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@snowjewelz: Aww, I'm sorry you are still sick! Hope it goes away right now!

Is anyone not experiencing braxton hicks? I'm 32 weeks and still don't think I've had a single braxton hicks contraction. Is that normal?

32. Adira

@whenoceansrise: I'm experiencing them (started probably a week or two ago, and I'm 33 weeks now), but they are very infrequent - not even one a day I'd say. I've heard staying hydrated can keep them away, so maybe you're just doing a good job staying hydrated?

33. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@whenoceansrise: I don't believe that I have experienced any in either of my pregnancies. But maybe I'm just not aware enough.

I'm getting really uncomfortable at work these days. I'm sitting to closely to my desk and my bump is in the way!

34. snowjewelz

@winniebee: @MamaG: Thanks ladies... I have Riccola but of course everything in moderation so I don't want to have too many... I called the doctor last week and they specifically said regular strength tylenol only, but maybe I'll call again... I don't want to medicate, but at this point not medicating might be worse!

@whenoceansrise: I feel them here & there, but I'm prob not drinking enough!

35. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@Adira: I am definitely not drinking enough water! Maybe I just don't notice them?

@MamaG: That's what I'm thinking, I'm just not aware of them!

36. Adira

@whenoceansrise: You could also be confusing BHs with the baby's movement. I remember for my first pregnancy, I used to think the baby was just pressing his butt right against my stomach, but later realized I was experiencing BHs! Sometimes it can be hard to notice the difference.

That being said, I don't know that everyone experiences BHs and I don't think it means anything if you haven't had any!

37. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

I had such a crappy ob appointment yesterday. I left the office crying and I am totally just ready to have this baby and be done with my OB office for a long time!!! My midwife (she is not a nice lady) yelled at me for the whole appointment for gaining too much weight in the last 2 weeks. And proceeded to tell me I was hurting my child and ruining my whole pregancy-etc. I have no idea how I gained 6 lbs in the last 2 weeks- but now I feel like I have to lose it before I go back in 2 weeks. So I am Counting every calorie and dieting at the end of my pregnancy. (And adding a shitton of more stress to my already over stressed life!) I am so bummed out and sad. I worked so hard not to gain weight for the first 2 trimesters.

Eta: sorry for being so Whiny - just needed to vent!!

38. Adira

@cheert16: Ahhhh, don't let her get to you!!! I'm sorry she yelled at you, but try not to worry about it! I just gained 4 lbs in a WEEK and I thought I had been eating relatively well, so I totally feel you! Please don't diet and try to lose the weight - just try to eat healthy if you can.

I've kind of taken a "fuck it" attitude to this whole weight thing. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat well, I'm always hungry, always craving, and always pack on the pounds, regardless of what I do. We only have a few weeks left and I don't want to spend them stressing over everything I eat, especially with Halloween candy and Thanksgiving!

Feel better. I'm right there with you!

39. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@cheert16: Do you feel like you are starting to retain water? I know my feet are not reducing over night like they had been previously. And I stick by my grumble of the past week or so, don't people know how emotional pregnant women are, particularly as the end approaches. I want to wear a sign that says please be gentle, I might bite.

40. winniebee

@cheert16: I can't believe she gave you such shit! I feel like people gain so randomly and differently why the heck is she focusing on such a small window? Please don't stress and diet at the end of your pregnancy! Just eat what you need to eat (and what you really want to eat!)

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee