Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms!

1. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@whenoceansrise: Make sure you understand your company policy surrounding STD. My company requires me to exhaust my accrued time (sick and vacation) before I become eligible for STD. I have nearly 6 weeks of accrued time. I will have an 8 week disability (C-section) so I will only be able to collect my STD for the last two weeks.

Also be aware since you just signed up in the past year, that STD policies often have a 12 month exclusion for maternity unless you enroll at hire rather than open enrollment.

2. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@Adira: Yeah, I'll have to enroll in it again for January. My STD only pays up to 60% so I wouldn't be getting paid fully for whatever time I use with STD.

3. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@MamaG: Yes, I have to exhaust all of my accrued time before I can use the STD. I only have 6 weeks saved up so if I take 8 weeks then I can use 2 weeks STD. I would definitely have to re-enroll though since it'll start over in January. Open enrollment is coming up.

4. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@whenoceansrise: I would def look into any way possible to extend your leave! I don't have any supplemental STD through work so I'm getting paid peanuts for 12 weeks (I don't have much PTO to use). Right now I PLAN to go back at 8 weeks but I def rather be tight with $ than to force myself to go back if I'm not ready!

5. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@whenoceansrise: I would double-check your STD policy. You might want to meet with HR or something to go over this all with you (that's what I did). At my company, we have both sick time and vacation time. We have to use up our sick time before being paid STD, but they run concurrently. So if I'm approved for 6 weeks of STD and I have 6 weeks of sick time, I can't use my sick time and THEN get 6 weeks of STD. It's 6 weeks total, regardless of how I'm being paid.

Not sure if yours is any different though because you have PTO!

6. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@MrsF: so glad that you had a good appt and decided to stop work. Clearly it's helping some :). How far along are you now?

7. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@whenoceansrise: You only get STD to the extent you are "disabled", once your doctor releases you back to work (typically 6 weeks for a normal delivery and 8 weeks for a C-section) you are no longer STD eligible. You can still be FMLA eligible, but that's a different animal.

8. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

And all the STD talk is depressing So many companies have lousy policies for this, unfortunately.

9. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@winniebee: I'm 35w2d, so feeling pretty good about the likelihood of a baby who's at least pretty close to full term!

10. winniebee

@MrsF: that's great!

11. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MrsF: So glad you had a good appointment, and yay for no pre-e!

12. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

Just posting this list again, since our thread moves so quickly. Can't believe how close we're all getting!

December Mommas

November 13: Sandy (#2 c-section, EDD 12/3)
    November 17: MamaG (#2 , c-section, EDD 12/1)
    November 26: MissyBear (#1 )
    November 27: MsMini (#2 )
    December 1: MrsF (#2 )
    December 2: josina (#1 )
    December 3: luv2beamom (#1 )
    December 4: theotherstark (#1 ), mrsmangomochi (#2 )
    December 5: Magnolia (#1 ), genarator (#2 ), AngelicOne (#1 ), ustechie (#2 )
    December 6: BandDMommy (#2 )
    December 8: cram88 (#2 ), Mrs.Lilac (#1 ), snowjewelz (#1 )
    December 10: Miss Ariel (#1 )
    December 11: Jax (#1 & 2 )
    December 13: cheert16 (#2 )
    December 14: faithfertility (#1 )
    December 16: Adira (#2 )
    December 18: MrsD (#1 )
    December 19: MrsScallop (#2 )
    December 21: whenoceansrise (#1 ), winniebee (#2 )
    December 22: babypie (#2 ), brawly (#2), shimmer (#3)
    December 23: MrsJX3 (#1 )
    December 25: Allison (#2 ), Mrs. Tea (#2 )
    December 27: BabyBunny (#2)
    December 29: mrsbookworm (#2 )
    December 30: oliviaoblivia (#2 , c-section, EDD 1/1)

Team Girl
    MamaG
    genarator
    BandDMommy
    mrsbookworm
    snowjewelz
    Sandy
    cheert16
    Mrs.Lilac
    faithfertility
    MrsD
    oliviaoblivia
    babypie

Team Boy
    MrsF
    Magnolia
    AngelicOne
    cram88
    mrsmangomochi
    MissyBear
    luv2beamom
    josina
    ustechie
    Adira
    Jax (x2!)
    theotherstark
    winniebee
    whenoceansrise
    MrsScallop
    Mrs. Tea

Team Green
    MsMini
    Allison
    MrsJX3
    Miss Ariel

13. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

Wow, this thread goes so fast, I am so tired and cranky these days after work.....I think I am reaching my limit with work, patience and not sleeping well.......I think these next 6 weeks are going to be the hardest, I am so ready to be done with work and meet my baby!!!!!!

@cheert16: I am so sorry your midwife came off so mean, she had no right to say those things the way she did....... please DONT feel bad and DONT diet..... eat healthy and screw her.....lol

@winniebee: I pray all continues to go well at your exams and that baby is leans and tiny like you suspect! Keep resting it seems to be doing you good!!!!

@mrslilac: yay to moving, book to DH working!

Banddmommy: Last apt my m/w said that baby's head was down, but she still could move, and said that not until 35-36 weeks will she really pay attention

@mamag: Yes, I pre registered with the hospital they called me and I have a $400 co pay with our insurance...it is paid monthly and our last payment is Nov 30th

@mrsf: Glad that OB apt was good, get rest... praying all continues to be well for you and LO

@whenoceanrise: STD for me is 11 weeks but is only used after my sock leave with FMLA runs out......I get 12 weeks with FMLA which is 60 work days solo...... I have 35 sick days banked ... that would mean 35\60 are paid at 100% and 25/60 is with STD at 60%

Baby shower is this Saturday I am so excited, I am in FL and we are getting a cold front......... high 75 low 50 such a great break and will make for perfect weather, as some tables are on our porch

DH is nesting and getting alot done, but I feel like it is not the way I would do it....lol I am picking and choosing when to say something or let it go.....I don't want to nag, but if your going to do it do it 100%......I went behind him tonight and re cleaned the sliders that he says he did..... well there was still dog nose prints on the outside...... dude you have to clean both sides.......hahahahha

14. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@whenoceansrise: assuming you could get the last 2 weeks on std, I was told that a life-changing event means you could change your plan... So if you re-enrolled in Jan. You would have 60 days to cancel your plan. Of course I'm sure that depends on the company but that what I was told for aflac.

I work for a small company and my boss had told us 2 years ago we would get 6 weeks paid as long as we were checking in. Then a month ago he said be didn't think he would've said that and is changing it! I had to let him know that he would totally be screwing me since I didn't get std bc I knew I'd be getting paid! Luckily he's giving it to me this time, but I had to take out a plan for baby 2. For now I've got the minimum plan and will be getting the max (60% paid) 60 days after baby is born so I'm ready for baby 2.

15. snowjewelz

@MamaG: Sigh, yes. Don't get me started all over again about maternity "benefits" lol. I still feel like I'm being punished for having a child!

@FaithFertility: Oh man I nag DH every week to hurry up and finish assembling stuff! He just has a floor lamp, 1 shelve & the rolling cart thing from Ikea... I just want anything that can be done, done! I hope you have a wonderful shower!!

16. Adira

Oh my gosh, Sandy's c-section is in two weeks!!! Praying for her and Ava!!

@FaithFertility: That's exciting about your baby shower!! Hope you have fun! And it's sweet your husband is nesting - mine isn't!!! He's totally content to pretend he's oblivious to the fact this baby is coming!

@josina: Ugh, that sucks about your boss changing his tune, but I'm glad he's still going to pay you!! That's one of those things where you need it in writing or else don't believe it! Hopefully it'll all work out!

How's everyone been sleeping lately? The past few nights, I've actually been sleeping through the night and not getting up to pee, which is AMAZING! I've also felt more comfortable lately - I can roll over in bed again without it being a struggle! I wonder if the baby was just in a weird position before that made everything hurt?

17. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: awwee thanks! Nope I sleep awful I might have a night here or there where I sleep good, but I am also getting up to pee 1-2 times a night......lately I also feel like I have to go and nothing happens...lol I think she is right on my bladder!

DH is sweet, but like I said I feel like he is half a $$ everything....lol

18. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@josina: ughhhh bosses

19. winniebee

@josina: that's total crap! I'm glad he is honoring his original agreement.

Some nights I sleep terribly - toss and turn and pee 5-6x a night. Other nights I sleep ok - and by ok I mean sleep but get up 2x a night to pee. And I take 1/2 unisom 30 mins before bed every night.

20. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Adira: Lucky for me the controller had her baby in July or I probably wouldn't have known at all and just wouldn't have gotten paid! Apparently it was never put in writing because they didn't want the guys complaining about not getting something similar.

He still hasn't come up with his 'final' maternity plan, but he needs to realize if we're not getting paid we won't be checking in or working from home AT ALL.

I've been sleeping better in that I don't have acid reflux anymore (thank god) and the heartburn has been better as well, either thanks to Tums or cutting out ice cream and juice at night. Still getting up at least 4 times a night to pee or drink water, and rolling over sucks, but I can't complain too much!

21. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

I'm going to meet with someone in HR and have them go over my STD with me- I'm going to do all that I can to be able to take at least 8 weeks. There seriously should be better benefits for maternity leave!

@FaithFertility: your DH sounds like mine- I usually have to go back an reclean whatever DH cleans because he doesn't do it right. I blame his parents because they never made him clean or gave him chores.

@Adira: Sleep.... feels like a dream to me. I had a couple nights free of charlie horses but was awoken by another one last night. Going to have to try my doctor's recommendation and try some tylenol pm

22. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

Hahahhaha sleep. Some nights are good and some are really bad. I look forward to the newborn period, I slept sooo much better then.

23. Adira

@josina: Ugh, what a mess. I just hope whatever ends up being the official policy works for you! And I think it's ridiculous that they didn't put it in writing just so guys wouldn't complain about not receiving something similar. My company has rooms for pumping and men don't have anything similar - and why would they want one??? In some things, we're just not equal and there's no reason to dance around that fact! Men also don't get to use STD for their paternity leave because, guess what, they didn't physically have the baby themselves! Ugh.

@whenoceansrise: Definitely a good idea to meet with HR! Our policies are so confusing here at work, so I found it really helpful. We figured out exactly what my leave balance was and what I would be earning while I was out and how my boss needs to use my time in order to cover me while I'm out. It was nice to figure it out all out ahead of time.

24. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@josina: wow. I'm sorry, that stinks.

25. Adira

@BandDmommy: haha, I'm scared of the newborn phase!! I can barely function when I get an hour less of sleep a night, I am NOT looking forward to having to get up every 2-3 hours to nurse!! Plus at least now, when I'm up, I just run to the bathroom and then back to bed - 10 minutes awake time tops. With the newborn, I know I'll be up 30 minutes to an hour each interruption!

26. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@BandDmommy: hahahahha that gives me hope on sleep!

27. snowjewelz

Ugh so I got rejected for my flu/Tdap since I've been sick. Primary care told me to call my OB again to try to take some form of meds to help get rid of this. So I begged my OB and was cleared to take claritin & robutissin. As much as I am reluctant to take meds, I feel like maybe it's better than violently coughing & not sleeping...

At least my boss sent me home and I'm working from home for the rest of the week!

28. Adira

@snowjewelz: Totally sucks you couldn't get the flu shot/tdap! I hope you feel better soon!!! Being sick and pregnant sucks so bad!

29. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@whenoceansrise: I get no STD or FMLA. I work for a small company (I am the ONLY Full time employee) so I don't get offered anything. I took off 4 weeks with B and went back part time for a month after that. This time I am taking 8 weeks off. It is going to suck financially and we aren't going to have any money at all- but I want to be home with my new baby!! (and this is our last so I want to milk it!)

30. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: @snowjewelz: @BandDmommy: I slept so well one night this week (Tuesday night) and it was like I was new person on Wednesday! I was hoping to repeat that last night- but the darn Charlie horses, along with bathroom trips kept me up! Maybe there is hope for tonight!!

@josina: That sucks!! Whatever he decides get it in writing before you go out on leave~

31. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@cheert16: Ahh, that stinks! Glad you are still going to take more time off though! Spending more time with your baby is definitely worth it!

32. Mrs.Lilac

apricot / 348 posts

Hmmm, thanks for the responses regarding my my 'contraction'. It is very odd. Yeah it was pretty continuous and very painful. It did go away but I got it again today but they did come and go this time instead of being more continuous. They were very painful again though. I am going to my doctors tonight as I have become very itchy all over and doc thinks it could be my liver malfunctioning so I will ask her about the pains too. If it is my liver I have to be induced early just hopefully not too early as I really need to get into my house!

It's very intereting hearing about how your maternity payment works in the USA. We seem to be very lucky here in England. Our enployers have to keep our jobs open for a year. If you work for the state (like me as a teacher) we get full pay for, I think, around 3 months then a reduced rate for 39 weeks I think. It will still be tight though but at least I know I can have a full year off work if I want.

33. Adira

@Mrs.Lilac: Oh yikes! I hope it's nothing too serious and you don't have to induce early! That's scary! Definitely ask about the contractions though - they sound a bit intense.

It's really crazy just how BAD the US is when it comes to maternity/paternity leave. We're ahead in so many areas, but in this one, we're seriously behind! So jealous you can take a year off if you want!!

34. winniebee

@Mrs.Lilac: I hope everything is ok! Please keep us posted!

35. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Just had my weekly appointment today. Baby is estimated to currently be 6 lb 3 oz. My OB feels like that's a low estimate and we are probably closer to 6 lb 10 oz. So, I'm expecting a nearly 8 lb baby. Not at all surprised, C was just shy of 8 lbs. The tech also saw a full head of hair. Yeah!

I also got my Group B test and a cervical check. She said I'm a "very tight 1". I'm hoping it stays that way as I can't really imagine an early delivery. And on the delivery note, my C-section just got pushed to 11/18. I know it's one day, but it's sort of tilting my planned world at the moment.

36. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@Mrs.Lilac: Scary - I'm glad you're going in to see your doctor! Those contractions sound super intense. Keep us updated, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is fine!

37. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MamaG: Aww! It's crazy to me to see how big they are at this point I keep thinking of him as this little tiny gummy bear, but then have to remember that, nope, he's almost full-size now! Ha. Just packing on some more weight. It's fun the tech saw hair, too

And even one day's difference can throw things off!

38. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@Mrs.Lilac: I hope everything is okay!!

@MamaG: glad you had a good appt!!

I had OB appt today as well. Not exciting. I've actually lost weight. Not sure how, but I'll take it. Next appt will be cervix check. I stop progesterone in a week. Aghhhh can't believe I'm already at the end of taking my medication.

39. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@Mrs.Lilac: I had liver problems when my pre-e was progressing that were basically why I was induced early. What brought me to the hospital in the end was horrible abdominal pain that went down my left arm and through to my back. I don't remember any tightening though, and I didn't have the itching although I know that can happen. I'm glad you're seeing your OB and I hope the liver tests are all fine!

40. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@josina: That's horrible that your boss isn't being consistent! I hope everything works out well for you.

Sorry to hear that others are having trouble with sleep as well I've been up and down to pee all night and waking up for good earlier and earlier each day. I've been up since 4:30 today. It's making me so depressed because I know that sleep is going to get so much worse with a newborn! @BandDmommy: I hope we get some of the newborn sleep magic you had

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee