Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2018 Moms!

1. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@lindseykaye: Still waiting to hear from doctor! I drank it on the train ride in, LOL. I only had coffee this morning so we'll see...

2. mediagirl

hostess / wonderful persimmon / 25556 posts

@LindsayInNY: how did the glucose test go?

My OB wants me to come in a little early for my glucose test b/c they want the results before my 2 weeks of work travel the last 2 weeks of September. So, I have my
    follow-up ultrasound on Monday the 17th and then my glucose test on Tuesday the 18th.

3. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@mediagirl: She checked glucose and iron levels and said everything was okay!

4. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

Sitting at the lab waiting for my glucose test blood draw. Turns out that the lab info line (because the labs don't actually have receptionists or a way to call the location you're going to) told me to come and drink my drink and wait here for the hour... but apparently I did NOT need to do that and I didn't even need an appointment.
    Super fun morning waking up at 5:30 and sitting in a waiting room chair

Hoping I'll have results for my appt. next Friday but might not. Also had a request for work travel for the first 3 days of october - I'll be 31 weeks I think. I had said I didn't want to travel after September but I think medically it's not a risk I just wanted to CHILL a little with so much coming up so quickly. But, it's good visibility for me and I have a planned promotion/role change coming up for the fall which involves travel - and I know that will be on hold for a while leading up to birth and uring maternity leave and newborn time. Waiting to hear back from my midwives on if 31 weeks is alright and then it'll likely get booked.

5. mediagirl

@LindsayInNY: excellent news!
    @lindseykaye: I hear you about work travel. I'm traveling at 30 weeks and am nervous about it but I know it will be fine. Sorry about your glucose test mess.

I just started crying at work because the invite to a meeting we just finished said there would be breakfast. And they forgot to bring in breakfast.

6. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@mediagirl: I would totally have cried too! Counting on food and then being left hungry is no joke right now.

Hope your 30-week travel goes smoothly! Is it far? I'll be going from Florida to Ohio so I *think* it should be not too bad. At least it's the same timezone this go-around.

We are off for a labor day resort weekend tomorrow thru Monday and I am ready to RELAX. Though I am also sick/getting over a cold thanks to the start of school and LO bringing home a bug from somewhere.

7. mediagirl

@lindseykaye: yeah...I have to fly to Arizona from NC and my trip home has my layover at LAX. At least I got the bulkhead, though!

Enjoy your trip!!

8. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@mediagirl: Ohhh nice!

I found out after flying like 6 times during this pregnancy that if I go to the counter at the gate I can get priority boarding for 'medical needs' which would have been super great to know all this time lol. Going to have to try it out for this trip.
    And yeah that amount of travel time is a bummer. My flight from FL-Oakland was about 12 hours total travel with drive time to/from airports and everything included. Compression stockings were a must, hydration was key, and I still had a lot of swelling.

9. MrsMom

kiwi / 568 posts

@LindsayInNY: Congrats on passing your glucose testing!

@lindseykaye: Sorry about your lab mixups. I find it infuriating when I don't get accurate information. But at least it's done.

@mediagirl: @lindseykaye: Just traveling to the store is too much for me, I can't imagine flying anywhere. Good luck ladies!

I don't have much to report. It's been a pretty uneventful pregnancy (which I'll gladly take). I probably wont do my glucose test until next month. DS had his tonsils and adenoids removed Tuesday. He's actually doing much better than I expected. Eating lots of ice cream and applesauce. The Dr. said one of the tonsils had a white patch forming on the back, so we took them out just in time before another infection!

Things I'm looking forward to:
    I have a "girls trip " for work coming up at the end of September. (just to the beach for a weekend). Then I think we're doing a baby sprinkle mid October. Yearly Family pictures/DS birthday pics at the end of October. DS Birthday right before Thanksgiving....Oh and Thanksgiving food! I can't wait for the Thanksgiving food!

What are some things your ladies are looking forward to?

10. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@MrsMom: So much to look forward to!!

We have a lot coming up as well.
    First the aforementioned labor day relaxation weekend.
    Then the work travel.
    DH and my 10-year wedding anniversary the first weeknd of October with a planned weekend in Savannah (where we honeymooned).
    Then we are hosting a rehearsal dinner at our house and are in our best friends wedding mid-October (best man, bridesmaid, and flower girl)!
    LO's 6th birthday is early November.
    Then Thanksgiving (the foooood)
    Then *hopefully* meeting Santa, which is a big time annual tradition for us but falls on the day before my due date this year - eep!
    Then time for baby!

I am thinking I should try to have a friend take some maternity/family photos sometime soon - maybe mid-september or so before things go crazy? And before I feel to gigantic to feel pretty lol

No word on a sprinkle or shower happening for this baby which honestly makes me really sad when I think about it. I'm not really in need of gifts, we figured we'd be buying everything we need again this time around and have a lot to re-use from LO. (Even though, yeah it would have been nice considering they are 6 years apart and we don't actually have any gear to re-use). But mostly to imagine that page of her baby book just... blank? LO had like 4 freaking baby showers and it just gets me down to think that this little girl might not be celebrated at all in the same way. Part of me wants to just organize some kind of brunch with my local friends before her arrival, part of me figures that's tacky and will be seen as a gift-grab even if I'm clear I don't want any. And more of me just hopes that maybe someone in the background is planning something but I really don't think they are..
    Sigh. Sorry for the tangent. I feel like this is a really soft spot for me right now even though socially it's just not common/expected/whatever to have a shower for a second baby (or so it seems). Anyone else struggling with this? Maybe it's something I just need to get over.

11. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@lindseykaye: What about a sip and see post baby?

12. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@LindsayInNY: I thought about that too - but I'm less inclined due to flu season and the holidays already being so busy. Do people plan those for themselves? They're not super common where I am so I need to read up on how they work I think!

13. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@lindseykaye: Ah, makes sense... I think you can throw it for yourself? Why not?!

14. Christy412

grape / 83 posts

You guys. My husband is driving me crazy! We can’t agree on a name at all. He is absolutely dead set on having the name mean something because he’s a huge history buff. It’s mostly the hormones but I’m getting mad that he just keeps bringing up the same 2 names over and over that I don’t like. All because they have some historical significance to him. I feel that the middle name is typically what holds the significance usually comes from a family member. This child is never going to have a name!

15. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Christy412: This is #2 right? What did you do for your first? Could you follow a similar pattern to set some structure? Compromise with one of the names he loves as a middle instead of family?
    However you find it, I hope the perfect name comes to you both quickly!

16. Christy412

grape / 83 posts

@lindseykaye: Yes #2. Our first is Oliver which basically came from a civil war book he was reading 😂. We both liked it. I name a name and he searches for the historical significance. Hopefully soon we can compromise!

17. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

Just got my glucose test results back (super fast) and I totally failed. This was even with watching sugar intake (but not carbs) for 2 days prior, fasting overnight, and having just eggs and cheese for breakfast prior to the test (6:55 drink, 7:55 draw). Number was 160 and cutoff is 140.
    So, my midwife said take a week or two to follow a diet more close to GD guidelines, something I can continue through the rest of my pregnancy, and then go do the 3-hour test.

I'm bummed but kind of expected this? I haven't had the best diet and have been woefully inactive this pregnancy. I am glad to have some motivation to change my habits but am not looking forward to this test. Thankfully if I do have GD it won't prevent me from delivery at the birthing center, but that's even more motivation to re-evaluate food and activity.

My biggest fear/worry is that I am already SO TIRED and can't imagine dedicating even more time to cooking/meal planning/etc. than I already do. I rely on a lot of not-terrible convenience meals but that definitely don't fit a GD plan since they're typically pretty high on carbs (tamales, pasta, rice, grains, starchy veg, etc). But, reading a lot today online and here in the boards to prepare for the next couple weeks/beyond.

18. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@lindseykaye: I'm lurking but just curious why your midwife wants you to change your eating habits to try and skew the test? I had gd with my first and you really can't change the outcome of the test, either you have gd or you don't. That said you don't want to mask it if you do have gd.

19. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@MamaBear87: She specifically said it's not to 'trick' the test, but to have me change my habits now into something I can follow the rest of my pregnancy - GD diagnosis or not. I understood it as her wanting me to have an accurate picture of what my diet/activity will be like going forward vs. right now coming off of an indulgent vacation weekend. I was reading before my 1-hour test about the different instructions given to people on how to prepare and there seems to be some strong feelings on whether you should keep your diet exactly the same as it is or if you should modify in some way. So, I go with following my provider's instructions.

20. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@lindseykaye: if she's just wanting you to get into better habits I absolutely think that's great! I just see so many women who are given instructions to "trick" the test and it makes me sad for babies who's mom's then don't get diagnosed.
    Good luck on the 3 hour. I know some women pass even with bad 1 hour numbers

21. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@MamaBear87: Thanks so much! And I totally understand where you're coming from and appreciate the perspective. I am kind of just going into this fully assuming I do have GD (or at least planning to modify my diet/exercise as if I do) and planning accordingly. Even if I 'pass' the 3-hour I need to make changes and this was a good wake-up to that.

At least I got one last vacation of blissful ignorance to enjoy virgin daquiries, all the carbs, and some high quality desserts

22. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@lindseykaye: i still occasionally indulged even with gd and my ob was totally fine with that. For instance I had cake at my shower and took the day off from testing (I did have easily diet controlled gd so that made a difference) but I was beside myself when I found out and then it didn't end up being horrible

23. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@MamaBear87: That's really good to know! I am hoping it's similar for me but will find out soon enough with the testing and all that entails. It will be nice to be able to enjoy our best friends' upcoming wedding (pizza!), a slice of cake at LO's birthday, some Thanksgiving tradition, and other special occasions here and there during the rest of this pregnancy.
    LO was a bigger baby (8lb 3oz) and even though I've measured right on target this whole time I do worry about the increased risks to this baby, her size, labor, and the health ramifications later in her life if this were to go missed or untreated.

24. MrsMom

kiwi / 568 posts

@Christy412: I can totally commiserate with you. My husband shoots down all of my suggestions, but he hasn't really helped pick any out either. He's a big history buff so I'm surprised he's not doing what yours is. LOL. Hopefully you both can find a compromise. Finding names is so so difficult.

@lindseykaye: Sorry you didn't pass the 1 hr but sounds like you're taking it pretty well and accepting the changes. My OB automatically does the 3hr test because so many don't pass the 1hr.

Has anyone figured out their maternity leave? Are you planning on taking time off leading up to your due date? and if so, how soon before your due date?

25. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@MrsMom: Thanks - I'm trying to stay positive especially without having done the 3-hour test yet and no actual diagnosis. It was incredibly difficult not to cry on the phone when I got my results though, and I've fought back tears like 5x already since then.
    Feeling like I did something 'wrong' and if I'd made better choices I wouldn't have to do the next round and would already be healthier and not have to do so much work to modify. Feeling like I failed this baby somehow and have been putting her at risk because of laziness/compliance/indulgence. Feeling embarrassed about it already after having to decline a sensory panel at work for brownie pops. Feeling selfish for just wanting to eat I want because there is so much we already "can't" do while pregnant that food has been a source of entertainment/pleasure. Blerg.

As far as leave goes - I'll likely work until the day this baby comes or at most a few days before unless I medically need to stop beforehand. There's a ton of stuff going on here at my job and I want to save as much of my 12 weeks to spend with the baby. They changed the company leave policy, effective Aug 31st, that we no longer accrue vacation time during leave so that was fun news to get last month with our handbook update (grumble grumble).

26. Christy412

grape / 83 posts

@lindseykaye: I just found out our maternity leave policy is the same and you don’t accrue vacation! So dumb! My last pregnancy was perfect timing because I came back in December but still got to keep my vacation so I only worked a few days that month to gradually ease back in!

@mrsmom good luck! If you need historical names, I’ve got tons 😂

27. MrsMom

kiwi / 568 posts

@lindseykaye: You most definitely didn't fail this baby. You're already making the changes necessary even before diagnosis. You're doing Great! And we're all here for you.

We've never accrued vacation time at my work. We have a set amount of days off which is a bummer most of the time, especially when your child is sick. I haven't decided what I'm doing beforehand since I will have a scheduled c-section, I might take the week before off just so I can spend some time with my Son before the little one arrives.

28. mediagirl

So, 2 flights yesterday (to NYC and back again) and my cankles are still recovering. Ugh.

29. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

Hey ladies - just wanted to check in and say I'm so happy to see everyone doing so well. @LindseyKaye: the GD definitely isn't your fault. And thankfully, you live in a developed country with great OB care, so this can definitely be managed and keep both of you safe.

As for me, we have a frozen embryo transfer scheduled for Sunday morning. I've had a very rough Summer (retained products), but the light is fnally shining our way - and now we just need and baby dust.

30. MrsMom

kiwi / 568 posts

@yellowbeach: I'm so glad things are starting to look up! I'm so so excited for you and of course will be thinking positive thoughts and lots and lots of and baby dust your way!

31. MrsMom

kiwi / 568 posts

@mediagirl: Oh man, I hope you get the rest you need to recover!

32. mediagirl

@yellowbeach: good luck! All the things crossed for you. 🍀

Had a friend over for my daughter yesterday and it was my first time seeing her mom since I popped. She said, "Wow, X told me but I wasn't sure it was true. Was this an oops?' 🙄 No, but thanks for thinking I'm a responsible adult and all! 👍

33. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@yellowbeach: Thinking all the positive thoughts for you and yesterday's transfer! I've been reading along and am so glad you've made it to this turning point after a lot of patience and what seemed like an incredible amount of self-advocacy.

@mediagirl: Oh man, the things some people say!

Hope all are doing well. Glucose 3-hour scheduled for me for Thursday morning and my midwife appointments are now bumped up to every 2-weeks! I feel like the closer the appointments go the faster time seems to fly!

34. Christy412

grape / 83 posts

@lindseykaye: hope your 3 hour went well. I just did my 1 hour today so I’m hoping I pass!

35. mediagirl

@Christy412: I was just searching HB for "dilated kidneys" and your pregnancy with your son came up. Would you mind sharing how things went after birth? I'm showing both of my baby's kidney's dilated at 28 weeks and she's big, as am I, for how far along I am. How did things work out? Thanks.

36. Christy412

grape / 83 posts

@mediagirl: Of course! What's funny is this baby ALSO has a dilated kidney! I'm actually going tomorrow for another ultrasound to check the size. So we're basically going through the same process all over again.

Thankfully, we haven't had any problems with my son. There was a whole pediatric urology/nephrology team at birth (which I thought was a little necessary but I guess they take precautions) They did an ultrasound the day he was born and determined there were not any obstructions in the kidneys so that was good. He had routine ultrasounds every 6 months-year. He will have another one early next year but so far it looks like he has "grown" into them. They told us to watch for kidney infections but he never had one. So it really wasn't a problem for us at all and I never knew it was so common. He was born at 36 weeks (I was induced due to preE) but he was still 6lbs 15oz. He did measure on target for size most of the pregnancy. I was always terrified he'd be 9lbs. My husband was 10lbs at birth!

I actually have a dilated kidney as well that we never knew about until I was in my 20's. Found out on accident when I was having high BP from BC.

Hopefully you'll be in the same boat and she won't have any problems!

37. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

@mediagirl: Our DD had this as well (and DH has unknown renal issues as a baby requiring surgery). DD's was detected on our anatomy scan at 20 weeks, "bilateral renal pelviectasis with mild hydronephrosis" was our working dx. We also saw Nephrology at each MFM US (every 2 weeks after dx) and then shortly after borth and while in the NICU. DD was 8 weeks early but that had nothing to do with her kidneys. She was getting an US every 6 months but we're now in the clear. Some kids end up on antibiotics or with surgery, but she seemed to grow out of her abnormality with each scan to the point where it wasn't going to be clinically significant by age 18 mo.

38. mediagirl

@Christy412: @yellowbeach: thank you. Hearing stories about it being not much to worry about after birth makes me feel better. My MFM OB tells me she isn't worried, and that I shouldn't worry. She should have told me not to go google the various things I heard/saw today:
    Kidney dilation (both)
    Large baby, large mom
    Excess of amniotic fluid
    Baby isn't swallowing yet (but no signs of obstruction)
    I might have GD.

Of all of those, I actually hope I do have GD so that it explains the excess fluid and it's not something else that I shouldn't have read on Google. Sigh.

I'm going in every 2 weeks now for ultrasounds to monitor the baby and me. GD test is tomorrow.

39. yellowbeach

nectarine / 2648 posts

@mediagirl: It's scary though, I get it! I think I cried about 6 times over the course of the first 48 hrs after hearing. But I will say trusting the Nephrologists and keeping them in the loop was very helpful to maintaining sanity.

40. mediagirl

@yellowbeach: I was given this today, which makes me feel better every time I look at it. I think she did that b/c she knew I had some things that didn't go so well today.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee