Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2018 moms!

1. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@Tionn3: Oh dang... I have been chomping tums daily for the last few weeks. The heartburn is just soooo bad.

2. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@LadyDi: ugh, I hope he moves for you!

@dominobee: the heartburn is definitely back in full force over here too. blah.

Feeling big and uncomfortable these days, for sure. I can't even get up without needing to take a few seconds to hoist myself up. And I can't sleep at all because no position is comfortable for more than a few mins. Everyone keeps saying "you must be so ready!", and although I am very ready to not be pregnant, I can't say I'm totally ready for the newborn days! I am on call this weekend and it will be my last long stretch before the baby comes. It's been super busy and I'm cranky about it.

3. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Just had my baby sprinkle today! Lots of cute girl clothes since LO1 was a boy. Very happy to celebrate with a core group of friends and now I'm about to use my baby registry completion discount + gift cards to buy all the unglamorous things..... breastfeeding supplies, postpartum supplies, and even potty training supplies! ugh.

4. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@DesertDreams88: sounds like you had a great sprinkle! People LOVE to buy girl clothes! Haha. And I’m with you on what’s left of my registry-nothing too exciting but all of it necessary. I’m headed to Target today to take a look at their nursing tanks/bras and maybe pick up a couple new ones. I have one or two but can’t find the other ones I had from before. I also need to buy some post partum undies. So glamorous

5. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

This morning I started thinking that maybe I will move my last day of work up one week. Originally I said that I would work until February 2 or until I go into labor, whichever comes first. But I'm slowing down so much that I'm starting to think I should make January 26 my last day. That'll be the end of my 36th week, so I'll be full term a few days later. At week 37 I plan to try natural induction methods with the guidance of my doula, and at week 38 I'll be medically induced if need be. Even if I make it to week 38, I think it will be good for me to have a little bit of downtime before the babies come.

EDIT: I told my boss my last day will be 1/26. Just can't hang any longer than that! He said if I ever wake up and feel like I need to work from home to just let him know, which is really nice. After today, just 7 more days of work! I'm off next Thursday for doctor's appointments/my birthday.

6. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@dominobee: I can sympathize with feeling like I'm really starting to slow down, and I'm not carrying two babies! If you can swing it financially I would probably change your last date. Or is it possible to just play it by ear? I guess my concern personally would be if it were cutting into my maternity leave, but again I have never carried a twin pregnancy and I don't know the demands of your job. Basically if you think it's best to stop working sooner, I would definitely do it. Sorry for my non-answer answer

7. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@dominobee: @Tionn3: They actually put me on Zantac twice daily for that reason...they didn't want me to get stones from the Tums. Who knew??

8. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

Touching back in to say hi, all! I've been a little MIA for the past few weeks but have been following along.

Had a multitude of home issues (sick dog, oven and fridge both broke, clogged and frozen pipe) over the holidays that have been taking time away from things I was actually planning to do before the baby like paint and assemble the nursery so that's been fun...thinking we're waiving the white flag and just hiring painters.

Have been surviving relatively well until about a week ago when I developed shooting rib pain on one side when I cough or sneeze or move while sleeping. The good news is it's not my liver, or a kidney infection...but they don't know what it is and I can only hope it dissipates before labor as I can't imagine pushing through it.

Otherwise, baby is head down, on track for growth, and I just had a second blood test and the strep B test today - hoping my platelets didn't drop more and for no strep B! I won't have a US until I am 40 weeks, if I go that long, which is 4 weeks from today. Hoping to work from the office until then, and then work from home until baby girl arrives!

Hoping you're all hanging in there : )

9. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@skiierchck99: Oh wow!

10. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: I am also officially at the uncomfortable point! If I do nothing all day, I'm so sore the next day. Yesterday I hit my step goal and couldn't sleep my hips and pelvis hurt so much when I moved.

I'm ok at work if I don't move an inch. But as soon as I try to stand I'm SO stiff and sore! And this kid can get off my sciatica any day now...

@DesertDreams88: Yesterday I took back some shower doubles and had enough credit to get some boring stuff (a lillebaby carrier and box of bottles. We got NO bottles!)

@dominobee: For what it's worth, my doctor told me to ask to start working from home at 37 weeks. Mainly because of the commute... but still. If one baby means staying home then, I think two definitely earn it!

I think our house is officially ready even if we aren't. I got the changing table and bookshelf for the nursery at my second shower this weekend, and DH and I put them together last night. Now that things have places to go I'm feeling less anxious about having so much stuff. I just need to figure out where all the "baby holders" go (rock and play, bouncy chair, tummy time mat, bumbo, etc). They're all shoved in the crib for now.

11. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@petitenoisette: About an hour after I wrote that I asked my boss if I could move my last day up a week and he said yes. I decided that one week pre-babies will be more important for my mental and physical health than a 12th week post-babies. It will be really nice if they do stay in there until just before 38 weeks, then I'll have a good stretch of days to stay home and rest and mentally/physically prepare myself for what is bound to be the greatest challenge of my life thus far!

12. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@skiierchck99: Oof, that all sounds like a real pain in the neck!

13. JJ2626

kiwi / 548 posts

So I’m feeling a little bit nauseated the last few days and food sounds gross to me, kind of like in the first trimester. I’m almost 37 weeks. Anyone have this or know if it’s normal/means baby is coming? It’s super annoying!

14. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@JJ2626: I have this and I have read it is common. There's just no space in the stomach! I haven't found very many foods appealing and seem to keep starting the day nauseous so I've been a little lax and generally am just letting myself eat whatever sounds good.

15. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@dominobee: Just keep reminding myself that it could be worse...dog is doing much better and didn't need surgery, pipes froze but didn't burst, and I get to order new appliances!

The ribs thing is a bit more annoying - just hoping r&r will allow it to heal before delivery. I've decided per Dr. Google that it is likely pulled intercostal, aka pulled muscle between the ribs. Just going to try not to use them as much as I can!

16. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@JJ2626: yep, nauseous over here and 34.5 weeks. It can be a sign of early labor but in my case it is most likely just life.

17. CatchAFallingStar

nectarine / 2806 posts

How much weight have you ladies gained? I’ve gained like 45 pounds! I only gained about 24 with my first. I start to cringe when the scale gets above 200. With my first, my beginning weight was 188 with full term weight at 212. With this one, I started out at 169 and am already 215 at 34 weeks. I’m 5’10”. I hope the weight comes off as easily as it did last time!

18. lazypanda

kiwi / 636 posts

@dominobee: yay for getting off earlier! I’m glad CA allows the disability leave before the due date cuz I’ve been so exhausted & thankful my OB let me have 5.5 weeks before my due date!

@bushelandapeck: yikes! Hopefully you won’t get called in this weekend!

@skiierchck99: that’s quite a lot on your plate! Hopefully everything else is smooth going forward!

@JJ2626: I think if anything, I’m more ravenous but can only eat small meals due to the lack of space. Hopefully you’ll have some relief soon!

@CatchAFallingStar: I gained nearly 60 lbs with DD & have already gained 50 with this pregnancy & still have a month to go! My weight gain has slowed down a bit as I’ve been consciously trying to cut down on my carb intake. But then again, I end up eating a lot of snacks due to getting hungry more often & eating smaller meals.

19. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: I'm so glad your boss was so accommodating! Having some extra time at home will be so nice.

@skiierchck99: that sounds so stressful! We also had some issues with our house due to the crazy weather. I will be so happy when it's Spring!

@MaryM: The last month or so of pregnancy is so hard. I feel like no matter what I do/don't do I am still sore by the end of the day.

@CatchAFallingStar: I've gianed 24lbs thus far and will be 39w tomorrow. It's the same for me as the other two pregnancies but it has been harder not to gain too much weight this time around. I think that has something to do with my age too. I had a harder time losing the 26 ish lbs I gained with my daughter so I have been trying not to gain too much this time, knowing it will probably be even harder.

@lazypanda: So jealous of your 5.5 weeks off! I wish MA had a similar policy!

I had my 38w appt yesterday and am 1.5cm dilated and cervix is "very soft". I'm not reading anything into it though, as I walked around at 2-3cm for a few weeks with my daughter before she came. I have definitely been having some real contractions vs BH but nothing timetable or consistent. Hard to believe he will be here in two-ish weeks or less!!

20. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@CatchAFallingStar: I've gained 35 and I'm on track to gain 40, like I did with LO1. With him I lost all but 10 of the pounds by 6 weeks, and then took another 2-3 months to lose 5 more.... never lost that extra 5 though.

My skin is SO stretched. Like, grotesque. The hernia and diastasis recti is so obvious, the skin around my belly button is like glowing white and so thin and rock hard... I feel like my uterus is just *right there*.

I took a shower last night though I didn't need to, I just wanted some relief for my achy his and back. I think I'm even going to try taking more baths despite my worry about the temperature being too hot, I will have to just do cooler water than I usually prefer, hopefully it'll be worth it.

21. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

I made DH rub my back last night and slept with a giant pillow between my legs. I’m so much better today. I think I did too much building stuff Monday

22. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@CatchAFallingStar: Well, I am not entirely sure where I started since I was already high and not weighing myself often after 2.5 years of infertility and interventions...I think I started at around 150-155 and am currently around 178, so somewhere between 20 and 25 lbs. I definitely will have some non-baby related gain to lose after : ) Hoping to be able to breastfeed to make it a little easier!

23. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@dominobee: Glad you decided to go for it and your boss was cool with it. You'll definitely appreciate some time to rest before those babes arrive!
    @skiierchck99: Ugh, sorry for all the issues! The rib pain sounds like no fun at all
    @bushelandapeck: Ah, you're almost there!!
    @lazypanda: I've also been super hungry! I'm just 34 weeks and I think maybe babe is having a growth spurt. I had a huge breakfast today and then was hungry an hour later.

24. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

Super fun last minute logistics and change of plans over here! For a little background, I'm seeing both the midwife practice and their backup OB practice at the local women's hospital. Well the head of the OB practice just called me and said that I might need to switch practices (at 35 weeks!) because not everyone on their team is comfortable doing a breech extraction. A breech extraction could become necessarily if Baby B moves into breech position after his brother is born. I put on my birth preferences that I'd rather have a breech extraction than an emergency c-section in that case. I only gave my birth preferences to the midwives 2 weeks ago because they didn't really seem open to discussing them much before that. And I haven't seen the OBs since 24 or 28 weeks (can't remember but it's been a while) since everything was going well, they said it wasn't necessary to continue to seem them every month.

Anyway, the head of the OB group gave me two specific names of doctors I should try to make an appointment with next week who both work in the MFM practice. She said I should plan to birth with them instead because they are all comfortable doing a breech extraction and that way I can hopefully have the birth I want. I was a little bummed out since I had my birthday (Thursday) planned out to have my ultrasound in the morning, then lunch with my husband, then my OB appointment in the afternoon. And if I'm trying to cancel that OB appointment and get into another practice for the first time with only a week's notice, I'm not likely to be able to get the day and time I want. Oh well. So I called the MFM practice and both of those doctors are not working next week! So I called the OB group back again and she said she'd try to work something out for me.

Anyway, just kind of annoying and really last minute! And I wish that they had thought to ask me about breech extraction vs. c-section before. I feel like many women would probably prefer a short period of discomfort over healing from both a vaginal birth AND a c-section simultaneously!

I know everything will be fine no matter how the birth ends up going. Fingers crossed it won't even be an issue. And ultimately I am glad that they caught this and are working to help me have the birth I want.

25. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: ugh, that is such a headache and SO inconvenient! Like you said, I'm glad they caught it now, but wish they could have caught it sooner definitely a bummer. I imagine the risks of a breech birth are lower when you literally just had a head-down vaginal birth? Like, your body is obviously ready and doing it's thing....

26. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Just found out my platelets are definitely dropping big time and I will most likely start taking prednisone to up them in February, around 37 or 38 weeks. Risks either way.... no treatment means risk of hemorrhage and no epidural or spinal allowed (AKA c-section under gen anesthesia if necessary); prednisone treatment means risk of high blood sugar and high blood pressure. At least I can check for both of the later on my own daily. None of this is a surprise since it happened with my last pregnancy and wasn't discovered until 5 cm, so at least we're being proactive this time..... but still kinda bummed. Trying to stay positive. I REALLY need to read those birth books I got and start some positive visualizations like you @dominobee:!

27. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: Yes I think it's pretty low risk at that point. They basically reach in and pull the baby out! And things are real loosey goosey from the first baby having just been born. Haha. It's supposed to hurt like hell but my doula has had a client who did an unmedicated breech extraction so I'm sure I can handle it with or without an epidural, depending on what timing allows. Trying to go without one as long as I can.

28. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: Man what a bummer! Are you hoping to have an epidural this time or would you rather try without?

29. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: will you be giving birth in an OR? I've read that is common for twin births, in case an emergency C becomes necsesary?

30. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: Is Ina May among your birth books? Her guide to Childbirth has me thinking I could totally do it naturally (if only this child would flip out of breech...)

I just went to meet with HR about leave...and the person I had an appointment with left early for the day. It was a 20 minute walk and it's 25 degrees out.

And I got back and our AA rubbed my stomach in the elevator. I wanted to slap her.

31. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: Yes I will. I'm sure the ambiance will be lovely haha.

And it's official, I'm now an MFM patient. Jeeeez...

32. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: OMG what is wrong with people?! On both accounts!

33. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@MaryM: nah, I think she's a little too crunchy for me, but I'm glad her work has been very encouraging for you. I have the Mindful Birthing book, Hyponobabies, and something else. My main concern is not going natural (in fact, I want an epidural), my main concern is having a positive attitude not plagued by fear.

I have a hard time sticking with any of the books because a lot of what I read references a "normal" labor process, talking about how it slowly builds and how there so much time between contractions and how the difficult part (transition) is only at the end and it's very short. That does not match my first time, and it makes me frustrated and jaded. With LO1, labor was 24 hours, contractions were only 30 secs-3 min apart for the entire time, and I spent 7 hours in transition.

There were personal & medical factors that made my original experience difficult, and I'm hoping to / planning to avoid those this time.

34. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: I want an epidural to be an option, and I probably would do it from about 6cm on. I feel like 7 hours of non-medicated transition is enough for a lifetime.

It's more the risk that is an issue. If my platelets are low, an epidural being off the table is not just a superficial issue. It also means I'm not allowed to have a spinal in the case of an emergency c-section. Instead, I'd have to do gen anesthesia, which means I wouldn't be awake for my baby's birth (big emotional blow) and there's risks for the baby as well, being exposed to the anesthesia.

35. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: oh I think she's way too crunchy too. But I sort of took that with a grain of salt. The actual birth stories and variability of experiences is what I found helpful.

I so don't imagine DH in bed with me or making out with me while I labor!

But I really liked her ideas of how to keep things calm and positive. I took notes for DH of what I need him to do/say to keep me calm and present

36. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@DesertDreams88: I'm sorry to hear that your platelets are dropping, I hope they can get them back up without too many side effects of the medication.

37. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@periwinklebee: how are yours doing? I have been thinkinG of you. Aren't you due very soon, with a Jan date?

38. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@DesertDreams88: My EDD was Jan 16, so already overdue. I figure what's another week, or whatever, at this point. I am still a bit worried though about the platelets. The doctor I saw last week totally blew me off when I asked because they were 100 when they last tested, and the cutoff for seeing hematology is below 100. So I guess we'll see what they are when I show up at L&D... My hospital's cutoff for spinal/epidural is 80.

39. tosun

pea / 20 posts

See who decided to show up 4 weeks early in the midst of Georgia’s inclement weather, yes, it is my princess.

Here goes my birth story:

Went to 36 week doctors appointment on Tuesday morning, did the GBS test and declined cervix check, didn’t want any disturbance down there that might irritate my uterus. I had a feeling she might come early since my 1st and 2nd came at 37 weeks and honestly I wanted her out so bad due to all the discomforts I have been having, but hoping she stays put until my cord blood banking kit arrives on Thursday. Around 12 midnight and clocking exactly 36 weeks, I went to pee and the pee was clear. On getting back to the bed, I felt the need to fart and tried to but instead of fart, I started leaking. I jumped off the bed and felt small gushes down my legs and when I looked on the ground it was bloody. I called hubby and told him I think my water just broke (didn’t happen with my other two kids) but I don’t know why it is so bloody. Hubby took the boys to my friend’s place while I hurriedly packed my hospital bag. We headed for the hospital just as the snow was starting. At L&D, I was 4cm dilated and they were going to give me antibiotics since my GBS result was not out. The doctor also wanted to start Pitocin after to speed things up. I initially wanted to go unmedicated but the contractions were getting stronger and the pain was becoming unbearable so my husband convinced me to ask for epidural. Because of the shortness of staff due to inclement weather, things were progressing so slow. By the time they were ready to go get the anaesthestiologist for epidural, I was already fully dilated and was starting to push. They barely got the doctor in and my daughter made her grand entrance at 5.00 am (1/17/18) after about 5 hard pushes and a 2nd degree tear.

She weighed 6lbs 11 ounces and measured 19.5 without any need for NICU. She is so perfect and her name is Jordan. I am so happy to have her here although I feel bad that the cord blood collection kit was not available and I could not even donate as they have stopped accepting donations at my hospital so it was wasted. I really wanted to store the cord blood because my first son would need it for treatment if it matches.

Sorry for any typos, I have not slept well so a bit drowsy. Wish you ladies safe delivery!

40. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: That makes sense. I really hope you are able to have the option for an epidural without the additional complications. Do you have the Hypnobabies tracks? If not I could send you my copies. I think 'Fear Clearing' and 'Joyful Pregnancy Affirmations' could be helpful for you, given your concerns.

@tosun: !!!! She is so beautiful, congratulations! It's all happening ladies!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee