Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2016 Moms!

1. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@MaryM: yes that is so so true!

2. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

I told work about my pregnancy, and it went well. I have had a frustrating week or so at work. I am not feeling cute. I am carrying so high that my bump is running into my now giant boobs, which have already gone up a good two sizes. I have not started to feel better at all yet, but I am grateful that my nausea and aversions have been intermittent. I should find out the sex towards the end of August.

@lauren0817: I had an epidural last time, as planned, and a doula really did not seem necessary. The only time labor was difficult for me was pushing, and I had a dedicated nurse with me at that time. I did have a relatively straightforward labor, which was not too long (12 hours from water breaking to giving birth). FWIW I was really nervous in advance, mostly about something going wrong, but a little bit about the pain, but I was completely calm while actually in labor.

3. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@mdf106: Happy to hear that telling your work went well! I hear you on the boob issues - mine are also giant and so uncomfortable! Have you found any supportive bras that are also comfortable? I only have one bra that fits right now and desperately need more. I ordered a few options online because I couldn't find anything great at the mall, but I don't have high hopes for those. Online shopping for bras is one of those things that I usually regret

It's great to hear that everything went well and you were calm during the labor itself! In general, I feel like I am usually my own worst enemy and get myself all worried and then I usually do fine with whatever I was worried about - hopefully it will be the same way with labor. I am going to do a bit more research about doulas and about labor in general (I seriously know nothing!) and then make a final decision - thanks for sharing your very reassuring experiences!

4. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@lauren0817: I have had relatively good success with Nordstrom Rack, I have found it to be the least expensive place to buy larger sized bras in person. I just tried on everything reasonable in the sizes I thought I might be, and bought the best ones. I think Nordstroms or a specialty store might be even better if you are less cheap, and I did get fitted in Nordstroms for a nursing bra. For me, underwire is a requirement, I feel like they look sad enough even with underwire, but fortunately I never found the underwire too uncomfortable.

5. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@mdf106: oohh great idea! I have success at Nordstrom - the bras are usually super expensive, but so worth it in the end. I have to check out Nordstrom Rack next time. I agree about underwire - I tried a few without underwire and felt like my boobs were out of control! Normally I don't mind underwire, but lately by the end of the day I can't wait to get my bra off. Even with a larger band size the underwire just feels so restrictive. I am going to try to find a "house bra" that I can at least wear around here - I had to put on a fleece jacket in hundred degree weather to answer the door when the mailman came!

6. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@lauren0817: If the band size feels like a problem, you can use bra extenders. For a house bra, I liked the majamas sleep bra, which is a nursing bra. I found cheaper bras of any variety just not worth it, at least for the level of support that I need.

7. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@lauren0817: when I upped the cup size I didn't have the awful end of the day soreness. I went up 2 cup sizes by about 10 weeks.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why my nosy coworker thinks I'm losing weight. I bet I look skinnier compared to my bigger boobs! Lol

8. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@lauren0817: Last pregnancy, I lived in Coobie bras. They're basically one-size-fits-all, so they grow with you. I'm about to break down and order some for this pregnancy. My regular bras are just getting too tight.

9. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@mdf106: Yeah I have the bra extenders, but I think the issue is I'm just sick of the bra in general by the end of the day when I'm feeling extra bloated! Awesome - I'm going to the Majamas. One of the bras I ordered is a Bravado nursing bra (http://www.barenecessities.com/bravado!-the-original-nursing-double-plus-wire-free-bra-1013_product.htm?pf_id=Bravado1013&search=) which seems semi-comfortable - I need to try it on again to be sure though.

@marym - yeah I've gone up two cup sizes as well! I think the bigger bra size has helped, but my current bra is still getting uncomfortable at the end of the day - I think I need to try some new options Haha - I like your thinking! Bigger boobs make us look smaller

@littlebug - thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to check those out ASAP.

10. gracecat

clementine / 878 posts

@lauren0817: we hired a doula for our first! Lifesaver... I had 2 days of back labor trying to go natural hypnobirthing but ended up having to do an emergency c section. She was a life saver and I had gone into labor on Christmas Day poor lady... I don't know what DH and I would have done without her. She was our rock.

11. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

@mdf106: @lauren0817: Check out Lane Bryant's lingerie line (Cacique) for large sizes. They carry band sizes 36 and up and cup sizes B - G. Even if you aren't plus size, but just have a large chest, it's a good place to find bras and they are almost always having a buy 2, get 1 free sale or buy 1 get 50% off.

12. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@mdf106: @littlebug: @mrs.shinerbock: thanks for all the bra recommendations. I swear my boobs are bigger at 13 weeks than they were when I was 40 weeks! I had to pull out my nursing bras for something comfortable

@lauren0817: I didnt have a doula, but you should read The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin. I found its information (on labor, delivery, what's typical, and what interventions are/why they're used/alternatives) to be VERY helpful at making me more comfortable with the birth of my first child.

13. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

I've been living in my 2 Coobie bras and I'm planning to buy more once my August budget starts besides the soreness, my nipples get hard super easily now and it's def a bit embarrassing! Also getting lightning boobs, like a shock from the nipple radiating inward. Hopefully this means they're growing everything they'll need for breastfeeding!

14. SupernovaJ

persimmon / 1141 posts

@mrs grapefruit: welcome!! so exciting to be a first time mom.

@lauren0817: i had a doula and she was a GOD-send. even to this day we're very close and she is like family to us. i would highly recommend getting one, especially if you are looking into a low-intervention birth, they are great at navigating you through all the options. so many patients get railroaded at hospitals when it comes to labor, and they are a great support. (if anyone is in NJ/NY and looking for an incredible doula let me know, i will PM you info.)

@sera_87: our ultrasound tech said she is 100% positive on sex at 14 weeks, but as standard practice she never makes an official call until the "anatomy scan". i went in last week at 12w3d and i was measuring 13 weeks. she had a very good guess it was a boy (the boy/girl bits are well defined at this stage). she showed us various angles and shots and it looks to be a boy for sure - will confirm in a few weeks. if they give you profile pictures of the body at your next ultrasound, but don't say one way or the other on the sex, you can google "angle of the dangle theory" to see if it looks like a boy or a girl - it seems to be very accurate.

15. cvwood

grape / 78 posts

@lauren0817: I think a doula can be helpful for any birth. I used one for my first and have hired one again, even though I feel like I know the ropes this time. My issue is that my husband, bless his heart, is just not the type to be all up in a birth helping. He's more of a strong silent presence than a helper, so I thought it was worth hiring someone who would be. The one I hired also does two post-partum visits, which should be great for nursing help. You should be able to interview a few for free to figure out if the support they offer would be good for you all.

16. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@gracecat: @supernovaj: @cvwood: thank you so much for sharing your experiences!! I think my hubby and I feel reassured knowing there is someone there looking out for us that has done this before I'm sure my husband will be supportive, but this is his first time doing this so I'm sure it will be pretty overwhelming! Plus he is not great with medical stuff (even going into the hospital freaks him out a bit), so I need a backup in case he faints on me or something! I am also really excited about the postpartum support since I've heard breastfeeding can sometimes be very tricky to get the hang of.

@mrs.shinerbock: oohh great suggestion - I do love sales! Thank you

@joyfulkiwi: thank you so much for the book recommendation! I just added it to my Amazon wish list My birthday is next month, so I'm going to ask for some "getting ready for baby" stuff.

@desertdreams88: yeah my boobs are completely out of control - it is really a bit scary actually! I haven't lightening boobs yet, but thanks for telling me that can happen so I'm prepared for that one

17. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

Anyone else feeling baby kick yet? This little guy moves a lot and I feel it many times a day. Lots of pokes! I haven't caught it on the outside yet though.

18. AmandaB8

clementine / 849 posts

I've definitely felt baby! I felt it first on Sunday.

It's a new experience for me - I had an anterior placenta last time and didn't feel DD until I was 27 weeks. CRAZY.

19. cvwood

grape / 78 posts

@lauren0817: Get your husband a contraction timing app. Mine timed contractions for something crazy like 16 hours, it made him feel helpful without having to look at anything gross. Doulas are also good at reassuring nervous husbands and answering questions they feel silly asking.

@littlebug: do you think the coobie bras would work for bigger cup sizes? I was a 32D when I started, and I'm definitely something bigger than that now. I always feel like I have to choose between comfort and support with big knockers!

20. sera_87

pomegranate / 3604 posts

I'm 90% sure I felt it this morning! Felt like bubbles popping.

21. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@cvwood: I think so. Do a quick search on the boards for Coobie. I know ladies bigger than myself have reviewed them.

22. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@cvwood: great idea! That sounds right up his alley My husband has been pretty excited about the whole doula idea which surprised me a bit (in fact he keeps asking me if I've looked into finding one yet!). It makes sense that the doula is a great cheerleader for the husbands as well!

23. SupernovaJ

persimmon / 1141 posts

@travellingbee: also feeling little flutters and pops. Definitely not consistent and not strong, but started feeling them at 13 weeks, mainly when bladder is full and I'm lying on my back.

I second, third, fourth (!) the Coobie bras. At first I got them for the gym (I'm super flat chested) and ended up buying a dozen for pregnancy and nursing. So comfy.

Agree that doulas are great for whatever birth you desire, whether that's low/high intervention, planned C-section etc. We had one for our first and couldn't imagine having gone through the experience without her, but I'm wondering if we'll get one for the second baby. Still undecided.

24. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@lauren0817: We did not have a doula for our first. I had a natural birth in a hospital--had we not done a lot of research, natural birth classes and had my extremely supportive sister present for labor, I think a doula would have been amazing. It was just too expensive at the time though.

This pregnancy I am delivering with midwives at a birth center and will not hire a doula.

25. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

@lauren0817: I am DEFINITELY using a doula. I'm seeing a midwife too and having a natural hospital birth (was not a candididate for a first time birth at home, which I'm still sad about) so to me a doula is a huge necessity because I'm terrified of having a c-section for a few personal reasons and I do not want meds at all. The average cost is $600-$750 here I've found. I'm meeting with one next Friday!

26. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

@travellingbee: just pokes on the inside! almost like a tapping at times. i notice if i attempt to sleep in my stomach at some point during the night i'll feel it. baby is probably like "Hey mom... stop laying on me" haha.

27. kristinleigh

cherry / 178 posts

@SupernovaJ: I'm in NY/NJ area!! Can you message me your doula info??

28. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@lauren0817: we didn't have a doula and didn't find it necessary. With already paying thousands for doctor and hospital, there was no way we wanted to spend another thousand on a doula. But I was planning on an epidural and labor went as planned. If I were going to go natural, I might have.

29. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Ugh. We have a work birthday celebration coming up in 15 minutes.

1. I hate how awkward it always is to be forced to mingle with coworkers.

2. I'm afraid one of the 5 people I've told will spill it that I'm pregnant and then people will want to fawn all over me and talk about how excited we are.

And I'm in a not great mood today so I don't want to talk about how excited we are...

30. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

I also did not do any contraction timing, and went to the hospital shortly after my water broke. FWIW my labor progressed somewhat similarly to my mom's first labor. Both began with labor breaking, and progressed quickly in the beginning (mine slowed because of the epidural). I am hoping our second labor's will be different, because my mom's second was breach (as was her mom's).

Many of my coworkers have asked if this pregnancy was planned. This is such a rude question, especially from a coworker.

31. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@mdf106: That's one reason why I am not in a hurry to have some coworkers find out I'm pregnant! One person in particular is just SO inappropriate sometimes. I've heard her trying to compare pregnancy symptoms with another girl before (the coworker in question has a son in his 20s...so it's not even like she's currently experiencing something she wants to share).

32. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

On the topic of unnecessary questions, I've had at least 3 people ask me how much weight I've gained. WTF.
    Other than that, no offensive questions.

However, EVERYONE asks if we'll be finding out the gender and our reaction is always "Of course" and I want to roll my eyes and say duh Everyone in my life knows I'm a Type A planner person so.... it should be obvious. No judgement towards others who are Team Green, just saying it should be obvious in my case AND I've gotten that question with EVERY announcement.

33. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: When people ask how much weight you've gained, maybe you should say "Well, how much do you weigh? then I'll tell you!"

Thankfully the inappropriate coworker is the same one who keeps telling me I look like I'm losing weight, so hopefully I'm safe for a while longer!

34. SupernovaJ

persimmon / 1141 posts

@kristinleigh: Just messaged you

35. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@DesertDreams88: Another coworker was asking me how much weight I gained last pregnancy (the asking was recent). At least she was discussing how much she gained, and said that I looked great, was all belly, and she wished she looked that good pregnant. However, I feel uncomfortable discussing my weight at all, even when it is complimentary. FWIW I did gain more than the recommended amount, and I had a lot of swelling. I'm hoping for less swelling with a January due date.

36. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@marym: I like your response about the weight

Just got back from a fabulous NT scan... It was SO much more detailed and time-intensive than I thought! Besides looking at the neck fold and nasal, the sonographer checked out the spine, brain, brain hemispheres, heart chambers, umbilical cord placement, placenta, and the arms/legs/hands/feet/fingers/toes! We got a CD of all the images. SO relieved! Officially in the 2nd trimester with a healthy baby! Oh how many times I thought this day might never come.... and I know some of you have had much longer journeys than I, but I know we all share similar feelings to a certain extent.

37. sera_87

pomegranate / 3604 posts

January 2016 moms!

January 3: Gracecat (#2)
    January 4: travellingbee (#2) :boy:, Karen (#2), worrywart (#2)
    January 5: lalalove (#2)
    January 6: Mermaidri (#1), lauren0187 (#1)
    January 8: sera_87 (#3), civicMom15 (#2)
    January 9: Mrs.Shinerbrock (#2), smith (#1)
    January 10: queensbee (#2) :girl:, Mrs.Grapefruit (#1).
    January 11: pui (#2)
    January 13: Chitownro (#2), Kristinleigh (#1), swansong (#2), kimberlybee (#2)
    January 14: marym (#1)
    January 15: Joyfulkiwi (#2)
    January 16: Supernovaj (#2)
    January 17: MDF106 (#2)
    January 19: MrsYellowJacket (#1 AND #2!!) cvwood (#2), swoggette (#3), desertdreams88 (#1)
    January 20: Oliviaoblivia (#3)
    January 22: hiker85 (#1), raintreebee (#2)
    January 24: amanda88 (#2)
    January 28: bisous (#2)
    January 31: littlebug (#2)

38. sera_87

pomegranate / 3604 posts

@MrsYellowJacket: I hope you don't mind - I saw you update in the bump thread so I updated the list here. Let me know if you do and I'll change it.

39. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@sera_87: they moved me from the 25th to the 20th.

Had my NT scan Tuesday and had a high/normal measurement so I have to meet with the geneticist and do a higher level screening. Kind of scary.

Sorry for being MIA, this pregnancy is really throwing me for a loop. Just when I get used to the idea of Irish twins something else comes along that I need to reprocess.

We've told my family, we were at a wedding and it's fairly obvious that I'm pregnant. Haven't told DHs side yet. My fam was partially excited and I think partially terrified for how hard next year will be. One of my aunts that suffered through years of IF before conceiving her girls couldn't pretend to smile. It's been tough telling people. I've tried to be optimistic and excited about this baby but it's hard when other people are just like "oh, wow. You know you're not suppose to have sex for six weeks after birth right?" "Slipped one past the goalie!" "Yikes." "Thank god I have an IUD"

I hate feeling so conflicted. We want a big family. I'm so excited for this baby. But...it just sucks when people are judgy about the timing or make stupid comments about this being unplanned.

Sorry to unload.

I want to be happy and chatty with you all but it's so hard when I feel like everyone in IRL that knows is not happy about it. Makes me just want to not talk about it.

40. lauren0817

apricot / 369 posts

@bisous: that's great that your sister was super supportive and helpful! I think my sister would be a disaster in the delivery room hehe I contacted a doula yesterday and hope that it works out with her - right now I have no idea what to expect on the childbirth side of things, so this is going to be an interesting experience

@kristinleigh: That's awesome! Let me know how your appointment with the doula goes! I am hoping to meet/interview our doula in the next couple of weeks - I am so excited to meet her

@travellingbee: that is completely understandable - having a baby is so expensive! Thankfully our insurance covers pretty much everything for the labor side of things so we hopefully shouldn't have too many out of pocket costs there - we did have to pay for all of our IVF costs/meds out of pocket though so this is all getting very expensive!

@marym: how did the work celebration go? Work parties can be so awkward I hope no one spilled the beans!

@mdf106: that is a ridiculous question! I think I would cry if someone asked me that after everything we've been through to get here. People are so insane sometimes!

@desertdreams88: that is another completely crazy question! Wow people never cease to amaze me! Congrats on your wonderful NT scan! It is so exciting to be in the second trimester YAY!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee