Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2014 moms!

1. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Beebug: G has it too. I just started putting coconut oil on it. It also seems better when i wash his hair and scrub with a face cloth.

We've been staying at my moms house and will be here another week. W LOOOOOVES his cousins and it's so nice to have help too. Sad that DH has to stay home and work but even still i love summer vacation. Anyone else have fun plans this summer?

2. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: sorry you're having a stir crazy day!

@skipra: thats fun although packing to be away for a week with kids seems stressful! We're doing our first (1 night) out of town trip in 3 weeks to go see my extended family and I'm already stressed about it lol.

No big summer plans here. I should prob start looking for a job at some point..... haha

3. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

So, I think Fiona is trying to gift me the best day ever after our crazy stressful weekend. So far today she has taken all her bottles with no trouble, and has gone down for every nap right on schedule, and slept a good long time. This has literally NEVER happened before. I've tidied up, bottles are washed, laundry is done, and I even finished editing a wedding I shot 2 weeks ago and had been trying to work on ever since!

I'm not sure if she's just catching up on sleep after the ramping up to hell-weekend last week then the crazy weekend itself? And/or I started putting her to sleep for her naps in her pack n play upstairs and maybe she likes that better than the swing? I decided to treat naps like bed time. Swaddled, fan on, white noise on, and into the pack n play drowsy but awake. Boom. Sleep.

Who am I kidding... this will probably never happen again. But I'll take it for today. WOOT.

4. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Mae: parenting win!!!!

We had a no napping day, bahhhhhhh.

I had to cut DDs nap short for DSs hearing test appt, I hate messing with her naps!

I am (trying to) nursing DS to sleep right now!

5. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: i wish you luck!! Everything here was great through the afternoon and then got a little janky. LO only took half her bottle at 5. Then cut her 6pm nap short. Then seemed hungry but would only take 1 oz at 7. And ever since she has been suuuuuuper cranky. She seems both starving and tired, but did not want to eat or sleep. Was just about to go try and give her a bottle and put her to bed.... luck all around folks haha

6. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Ok bragging, but oh man!

DS down just after 9pm, nursed again 2:45am, nothing again til right now! DD still sleeping and she was down 7:30pm. What a treat!

I woke before C and "pumped" a few oz so I didn't drown him, nice to add to my stash a little again.

7. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: so glad they gave you a great night! Fiona was up a little early (for her), but still within acceptable range IMO (any time after 6 I can live with). Also I sort of think it is the dog's fault. She was kind of stirring, but I was rocking her bassinet and she was alllllllmost back asleep... then the shower dripped (stupid shower) and the dog howled and it startled Fia awake and then it was over.

8. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

G slept from 12:30 am (an improvement since he usually falls asleep between 1 and 2 am) right through to 7 am. Bliss!

9. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

My morning sunshine! DH and I are NOT morning people, but this bundle brings morning smiles to our home.

10. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Glitter: he is SO CUTE. Seriously! I love how he knows to smile for the camera!

11. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Beebug:W had a bit of cradle cap and the doctor told me to just put a bit of oil on his scalp...I never did because it went away on it's own pretty quickly...although he does have it a bit on his eyebrows now haha. Also, I think that it's nearly impossible to have a no tv rule for the DD's It's so hard when feeding a baby, etc. to keep them constantly entertained! Well it is for me anyways! She's watched quite a few episodes of Elmo's world lately.

@Mae: I've been following along with your struggles with feeding (just haven't had a chance to reply) and I have to say that I admire you so much for trying soooo hard! As I mentionned in previous posts, I gave up on bf-ing on like day 3...the struggle of bf-ing really took a toll on me the first few weeks with DD and I had a feeling it would be the same this time. I actually feel like my bonding is stronger since I'm EP-ing and bottle feeding than bf-ing, because I would dread every bf-ing session rather than enjoying spending time with my baby. That being said, based on my experience with DD, I know how disappointing it feels after you have tried so hard to make it work. I know that your situation is a bit different, since you are both pumping and supplementing, but if you have any questions on the pumping side, let me know! I know you had mentionned in a previous post that you didn't like the idea of having to pump and not pick up Fia if she is crying. I usually make sure to feed W shortly before I pump so that he is content (and usually sleeping in his bouncy chair) while I pump. If that doesn't work out time-wise, and he ends up fussing, I do pick up him (although it's kind of awkward to hold him with pump parts in the way). One other thing I did with DD (haven't done it with W yet) is put my bf-ing pillow on the couch and sit the baby in there while sitting right next to them and either feeding a bottle or just playing wiht litle toys, etc. You have already given Fia an amazing start and hopefully things go smoothly from here on out with the bottle feeding

@Glitter: Ahhh! Way too cute!!! W finally just started giving us real smiles and cooing a bit this week, I love it! I hope I can catch one on camera soon!

12. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mae: @cookie_dough: thanks! He's a vain little charmer. Knows exactly when to bring in the smiles!

@Beebug: we are dealing with the end of cradle cap as well. We switched to Cetaphil gentle cleanser for washing Gio's hair and that has helped I think. It's supposedly a hormonal thing that generally clears up in a couple months.

13. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Glitter: That smile is too cute!!

We are in the middle of some sort of awful sleep regression. The babies had been sleeping one really long stretch (5-6 hours!) then shorter times (2 hrs usually) the rest of the night and somehow that is totally over. They were down at 10 last night and then up again at 12:30. Rough! Plus my mom and sis are gone now so I'm trying to handle as much as possible on my own at night. Yeah that's not really working. Poor DH. I'm not sure where my good sleepers went. also I feel like there's a chance Blake is beginning teething! He's been drooling a ton, mouthing on everything but not very interested in breastfeeding, super fussy (not like him) and I think we felt a bump on his guns last night. Omg he's only 10 weeks old I don't know how this is possible!

14. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@twodoghouse: OMG I'm so sorry about the rough nights! I know I try to handle nights alone too because dh works and I don't right now , and when she has a bad one it sucks. Also I hope not about teething! Fiona has been super droopy the last month and gnaws on her hand constantly though so maybe it's just a thing some babies do? I hadn't even thought to check her gums bc she is just way too young for that! Lol

15. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Mae: Luckily the 2nd half of the night was much better. Blake woke up while Alice was still dead to the world do I fed them separately. That took 2 hrs but at least I wasn't juggling them both in the middle of the night and dealing with screaming. Also they both pooped this morning and DH took care of both those, woo hoo! Now they are both asleep on me. I should probably nap too instead of HBing...

16. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@twodoghouse: you have both babies asleep on you and you're still able to type? That is seriously impressive! I feel paralyzed when G falls asleep on me.

He's been drooling a lot too, but what do I look for on his gums? Areas of white? He's finally starting to sleep better, i could wait a bit for teeth!

17. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Glitter: Haha, this was my setup - one on my shoulder, one across my lap. One hand left for typing and selfies!

Also I don't really know what to look for on the gums. I think a white bump eventually? We could feel a bump but not see anything distinctly toothlike. If he is teething I think it will be a while until a tooth actually emerges! It does sound like a lot of our May babes are getting drools so maybe that's just common at this age!

18. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@twodoghouse: nice setup! lol @ selfies

19. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@twodoghouse: I don't think I'll ever not be in awe of you taking care of two at once! Also I read your last post about teething when I was pumping this morning then I went back to bed and I had a dream that I was at your house and Blake woke up and he had 14 teeth (we counted) and we were like holy shit, baby grew 14 teeth overnight! lol

Also I'm sort of jealous but sort of not of all you whose babies still sleep on you. Fiona won't do it anymore! It started around 4 weeks she started running really hot. Like not a fever or anything, but girlfriend sweats like WOAH whenever she's laying on exposed skin (arm, neck, chest), and even when she is against other body parts that are covered with clothes she still gets really hot. So she will (rarely) fall asleep on us still but if she does she wakes up 5 min later angry and sweaty. So I've sort of had to accept she isn't a very cuddly baby. She's incredibly sweet but she's just not into snuggles. She'd rather lay balanced on our legs or in her bouncer or on her play mat and have us play with her than snuggle up to us. Sigh. Makes my life easier because I never really get trapped under her anymore. But I do miss the baby snuggles.

20. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Seriously going to go batshit crazy. Kid didn't nap today and I STILL can't get him down.

21. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Ok calmer post.

I'm nursing him (attempt to get to sleep). All day it's been get him to sleep and it lasts anywhere as long as it takes to get out of his sight (from his room, the swing, etc) and he's awake again. I'm ready to I don't know what. He keeps getting his hands in his face and unsettling himself, or thrashing really weirdly. Spitting up and burping normal amounts. Fack. Not one break today, not one!

I didn't post about it but while I'm being a downer, I had to quit working our, I could feel myself burning out, mentally more than anything. I need to wait until nights and days are more consistent. Being on my own and the unpredictability of each day still I'm not going to be the best Mom I can be spreading myself more thin, so much as I'd like to get myself physically thin. Not a time for selfishness right now.

I hope we get a great night like 2 nights ago if he ever goes to sleep, this is killing me, and I feel so irritable and impatient.

bad day

22. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: gah I am so sorry. It sucks so bad you have to do this alone right now. I mean it would suck anyways, but at least you could get 5 damn minutes to yourself. And/or have someone to commiserate with. I hope C goes down for you soon and gives you a nice quiet night! You deserve it.

23. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Beebug: Sorry to hear about your bad day Hope tonight is better.

@twodoghouse: That is impressive that you can type with two babes on you! As far as teeth, I can usually tell because you can see/feel it right under the gums. I think babies usually drool long before getting teeth. At least W did. He didn't get his first tooth until 10.5 months!

Nights are still pretty bad for us. I am sharing a room with both G and W and somehow it's worked out that they are both going to bed at the same time. My mom and sister had G while I was trying (very unsuccessfully) to get W down and he was screaming. I brought him into the room and W settled right down, as did G. Happened 2 nights in a row, no clue how that worked out. Unfortunately, G has been sleeping like crap. Waking up at like midnight and every hour or so after that if I put him back in the RnP. Slightly better if I keep him in bed with me. The silver lining is that W is sleeping in the PnP without waking during the night but he's up for the day at 5:30 or 6. Talk about exhausted...I can't wait until DH comes to join us this weekend!

24. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Beebug: I hope today is going better for you!

25. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

So 2nd time moms... how long until meal times and nap times become somewhat routine? This unpredictability and every day is new business is wearing on me a bit.

I've found that days where Fiona will cooperate with the 3 hours EASY schedule are fabulous. Eat 4oz, play for a little bit, nap for 1-1.5 hours, and back up again to eat again 3 hours later. She's in a fabulous mood all day!

But it's so hit or miss. Lately she's been going down for naps okay, but then she wakes up after only 30-40 min and won't fall back asleep. And it honestly is not that I'm trying to get her to sleep more so I have time off. I don't mind watching hr when she is happy at all. It's that when she doesn't sleep at least an hour she is so tired and cranky! And one bad nap throws the rest of our day off. Then she wants to eat earlier than she should. But then she isn't hungry enough to take all 4 oz an and she's yawning yawning yawning and getting crankier. And I try to put her down again and she only sleeps 30 min again and then she wakes up seemingly starving but won't eat enough and she won't fall back asleep and she gets increasingly cranky

She's just so much fun when she is happy! I wish I could get her into a good eating/napping routine so that I could keep her full and well rested so that she'd be a happy baby all the time.

26. Mamasig

pomegranate / 3565 posts

@Mae: DS never had a set schedule, ever. I guess now at one nap and three meals a day, it is somewhat more predictable. But some days his nap is still at a weird time. He was a catnapper until about 9 months so EASY didn't work. He'd wake up happy and rested after 30 minutes. But my kid doesn't require or like a lot of sleep, so I'm no help!

27. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mae: sorry, I don't think I'm much help either. Once Gio is fed he's happy. His naps have no set length and I don't keep good track of them because he seems to rely on milk more than anything else to be content.

28. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Mae: it definitely took me longer to get DS on a schedule than i thought it should have. I returned to work at 4 months and there was really no consistency at that point. By 6 months he was on a 3 nap schedule but it wasn't like he napped at 9, 1, and 4 everyday or anything because maybe one nap was short or long so the next one needed ti be adjusted, etc. Even now we definitely have a routine and schedule but it's not set in stone. Long story short, I wouls give it at least another month or so?

29. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Glitter: that's one thing I miss about bf! In the morning when I had enough milk for her, bf would always calm her down and make her happy. But I think maybe she is still just not thrilled about the bottles so eating is still a battle sometimes.

30. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

So we all survived Fia's 2 month appointment this morning! She weighed in at 12 lbs even and 23 inches long. 60% for both! A little lower than at her 1 month appointment (she was 75% for both) but since she is proportional and we've had all these feeding issues the ped was very happy with her Got her shots and it was horribly sad but honestly not any worse than getting the 1 shot at her 1 month appointment. She wailed for 5 minutes then fell asleep in her carrier haha. Shots were 3 hours ago and so far so good... fingers crossed she stays that way. Doc recommended we don't give tylenol unless she actually gets a fever AND is cranky. She said new studies show that when babies get tylenol their titers (sp?) numbers at the end of the day are lower than babies who don't get it. So she said she thinks it is best to see if you can make it through the day without (but if she needs it go ahead and give it-- just don't give it for no reason).

Only real bummer was that the doctor heard a mild heart murmur. She said they are rated on a scale of 1-6 and hers is a 1, "maybe 1+" but not a 2. She said she'd be comfortable with a "wait and see approach and just checking at each well visit, but if we were more comfortable with a referral to a pediatric cardiologist she'd be happy to make that happen. I was feeling okay-ish about the wait and see until she told us the signs to watch for that can indicate heart problems-- two of which are sweating when eating and being fussy while eating. Well, she does both of those. Granted, we've had so many feeding problems I feel confident that she is sweating when eating because there is so much fussing and flailing, and she's fussing and flailing because she's angry about the bottles. But I just knew that if we didn't see a cardiologist and make sure that the murmur isn't related to a more serious heart condition i would stress every day and every time she sweated or fussed. So we took the referral. Not sure when that appointment will be, but probably within the next few weeks. I'm feeling fine about it-- I really feel in my gut that she's okay. But I will just feel better when I have a cardiologist confirm that for me.

31. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@Mae: Congratulations on her solid growth despite all the challenges! Go Mama and Go Fia! I hope the cardiologist can put your mind at ease, we would have done the same thing. And our little guy also sweats and fusses during feeds sometimes if he's tired or just cranky, so I agree I'm not sure that means much.

We did our shots on Monday, dude is still sort of sleepy and sad and has had serious mommy preference since then, but never spiked a fever. I'm assuming it's all normal. He's still off the charts, 14lb 9oz and 24.5in. Boy's gonna tower over me by kindergarten.

ETA: and on the drooling/teething thing, our guy is doing it, too. We were told it's just the start of a normal oral fixation, they want to put everything in their mouths and drool a lot. I guess doesn't necessarily mean teething or thumb sucking is on the way.

32. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@anandam: aw, sad that your babe still seems affected, but glad he's just a little sad and not super angry or fever-y or anything. It's really hard to tell if Fia's having any effect yet. She slept in the car on the way home from the ped, was happy here for like an hour until she was hungry, took her bottle like a champ and went down for a nap that is now going on 1 hr 20 min. But all of this is within the range of "normal" for a good day for her. Especially because she woke up early (for her) this morning. So we'll just see. It's nice though because I made DH take the day off in case she was a bear today and so we're getting the house all clean while she is sleeping! (and ummm i'm hb'ing hah)

Also glad the sweating/fussing isn't just her! I really do feel that she is fine. I just can't think of a reason NOT to see the cardiologist and find out for sure. He doesn't do any invasive tests so there is really no down side to doing it IMO.

33. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

Quiet around here! Hopefully everyone is having a good weekend

So my bummer of the day is that I found mold in my pump parts! I didn't know the stupid little yellow part detached from the valve thingy and yep-- mold. Sigh. So I had to toss my last pumping, which was a bummer for someone with low supply! But better to dump it than worry about feeding it to her (even though I've been feeding her everything I've pumped up until then!). Cleaned everything super thoroughly and bought some steam bags to sanitize!

34. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Mae: bummer about mold! Do you keep in fridge between pumps or clean between all pumps?

Both kids napping. I think I finally found a double bob second hand online (classifieds) and am SO pumped.

DH and I (and kids) were together this weekend. I'm on my own again now, but we had a really, really good weekend. Have counselling together Thursday this week, and Tuesday next week (wooo!). I know it won't all be roses, but this weekend was refreshing and gave me so much hope.

We have a really busy week, I get depo shot tomorrow, C has his 2 month appt. After we are going to my Grandma's. Tuesday we have a bank appt, and then going to see stroller! Weds visiting with a friend an hour north of here. Thursday play thing in am, counselling in afternoon. Friday my Mom will have DD so I will do groceries, cleaning, and then dog has a vet appt for his weekly shot that I think is helping his lameness.

C slept brutally the last two nights, I am really hoping for a good night tonight, interested to see where his weight is at tomorrow. My bet is 14.1 or so pounds.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

35. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: I keep all parts in the fridge all day and then I wash with hot soapy water and let air dry every night. And would run them through the dishwasher every week or so. But the problem was that the valve part comes apart into 2 pieces and I didn't realize it, so I've been washing it while those two parts were assembled and there was mold where the two connect.

Also I am SO glad to hear you had a good weekend and you've got some hope for the future! I really hope you guys can work things out.

Sounds like you have a good busy week too. I have my least busy week ever coming up. I think this is the first week where I have nothing on the agenda, no visits and no doctor's appointments! Might invite a friend over to hang out one night while B is in class. Also I'm now OFFICIALLY done with my job. Not that I've worked since Fia was born, but things were still sort of uncertain there. Well I drafted withdrawals for all of my cases yesterday and made arrangements for my final paycheck and to clean out my office next weekend. Feels weird to know I'm really totally done with that job I held for 6 years! Now I really need to get on the hunt for a new job! I'm a little sad to do it because I'm starting to like being home with Fiona and while I don't think I'm cut out to be a SAHM, I think I'd really love if I could be home maybe her first 6 months. Which-- I may be able to depending on what/when I find a job-- but it'd be nice to have that set and not have to dive into a job search. Unfortunately we just can't afford for me to not work right now. If we didn't have over 100k in loans we could... but ya know... law school. boo. lol We've got plenty saved up (and I'm actually making enough with photography to bridge the gap right now, although that is unreliable income) so I'm not worried about finances for a while, but we definitely need to move towards me bringing in a paycheck again!

36. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Mae: dang hidden parts! Good thing you found it for moving forward and clearly what you are doing for wash routine is working and will for the new found part spot too!!

Nice about quiet week! I am making sure I keep it all on the calendar, gosh knows I will forget something.

Eeep about the work stuff, will be weird to clean out your office space I am sure. Hope the job hunt goes well and it's good you have the photography to cover the gap, despite inconsistency. I still have over a year til I go back, I stopped in to work Thursday and while I miss work/love my job I am so happy and lucky to have the huge leave from work.

37. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Beebug: once again, canada rocks I really wish I could drum up some more photography business and just do that. It's so much more fun than being a lawyer lol.

38. twodoghouse

honeydew / 7230 posts

@Mae: OMG on the mold. I am pretty sure I'm not separating the yellow part from the plastic on the valve. Now I'm worried. I'm going to check that out as soon as I don't have a barely sleeping baby in my arms. Also I'm getting caught up on previous posts and I just read about the heart murmur. So glad your dr picked it up. Keep us updated on her cardiologist appt!

@Beebug: I'm so glad you had a good weekend with DH. I hope your busy week goes well!

This weekend we left the babies for about 24 hrs to attend a wedding. It was not the restful night away I had hoped for, but it was nice to spend time with friends. Of course we talked about the babies the whole time so I guess we are those people now, haha. Blake was bawling when we got home and the second I walked in the door I took him and he snuggled right into my neck and was quiet. Ah my mommy heart just broke that I left him. He nursed like a fiend after that too. Now he is asleep on DH, Alice is asleep on me, and I just want to stay like this forever.

39. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

Our big news this weekend is that I'm sorting through babe's clothes and officially retiring the 3mo stuff that has gotten too tight. Some of it's still okay, and we're also pulling out the smaller 6mo outfits and bringing them into the rotation. Both fun and sad!

@Mae: Love your new photo! Sweet girl with her koala. So annoying about the pump. There's a piece on mine I have a hard time separating to wash and have just let it go the last couple of times but I guess I should be careful! Thanks for the heads up.

Also hear you on the work thing. I'm still employed and set to go back in October (6mos leave, babe will be almost 5mos old) but have very mixed feelings about it. Do want to get back to that side of myself (and also have massive loans) but also dread the commute and hours away... So have been thinking of looking for something closer or maybe part time. Ugh.

@Beebug: Hallelujah for a good time with DH and the kids. And for counseling! Finger and toes crossed and prayers incoming and whatever else that things just keep going up and up!

40. anandam

kiwi / 687 posts

@twodoghouse: Sooooo sweet, they break your heart!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee