Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Happy Mothers Day! Hope that everyone is having a nice day.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Happy Mother's Day to you too!

3. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all!

It's been a busy week or two here. We had a health scare with Grace, which all turned out okay, but it's been a whirlwind. I head back to work after my 4 month maternity leave on Monday. Getting out the door by 6:50am each day feels a bit daunting but I know it will be good to get back in the real world!

My one recent Pete story is that he has started making his own waffles in the morning! There's usually a 15 minute window when he's downstairs by himself in the morning (DH has left for work and I'm still feeding grace in bed). Pete has started taking waffles out of the freezer, using his kids scissors to open a new box, and then toasting them in the toaster. He gets out the jam too, but he can't open the jar himself yet. When I came down yesterday, he was just staring at the waffles. "They are toasted but still too hot for me to touch," he said. It's a little scary to me- in case the toaster jams up and starts to smoke,- so I've told him he can't do it anymore, but I'm still quite proud of him! Now I am trying to think of other breakfasts, which don't involve electricity, that he can make himself. Maybe I'll set up a cereal station or something?

4. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@QueensBee: glad that she is ok! Hugs on Monday. That is scary and impressive he was able to do all that. Cereal for sure!

5. Adira

@QueensBee: Glad Grace is okay!! Health scares with babies are the worse! I'm so impressed with Pete!!! But I'm with you, a little scary. I wouldn't want anyone to use the toaster at this age without supervision either. Maybe cereal and fruit??

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Good luck tomorrow. Glad everything is ok with Grace. I'm impressed that Pete can use the toaster. That would be a little scary him using it on his own. A cereal station is a great idea, maybe a small container you can put milk in that he can pour himself. The independence these days is amazing! Our babies sure are big kids now.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: How has being back to work been.

Eye appointments. Have any of you taken the LO's for their first one? How did it go & what did they do?

Isaac has his first appointment on Saturday morning. I'm nervous. He screams at the doctors, so I'm not sure how he'll do. But we've noticed him covering one eye a bunch, so time to get him checked out.

8. Adira

@ALV91711: I haven't taken Xander or Logan to the eye doctor yet. I hope it goes smoothly for you! I know one of my friends took her son at only 12 months to see the eye doctor. I'm not sure all it entailed except he did get eye drops which made him sleepy. You'll have to let us know how it goes!

9. Smurfette

@ALV91711: She got an eye exam from the pedi at her 3 yr well visit.

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: The first two weeks were rough because we all got sick and I had some issues with the commuter train line I take into the city for work. But this is my third week back- the trains are finally running and we're all healthy, so it's going much better now! Thanks for checking!

Pete also had an eye exam at his 3 year well visit. He's usually a nightmare at the doctor but he sat on our babysitter's lap and seemed to do okay. Let us know how it goes!

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

The eye doctor was terrible. He clung to me the whole time whimpering and crying and wouldn't look at the eye doctor. He had put on a wild animal movie and wanted Isaac to watch so he could look in his eyes. So we are going back in a couple weeks to try again. He said some kids it takes a few visits for them to be comfortable and to just keep coming back.

@QueensBee: Glad it is getting better for you. The sickness must be hard.

@Smurfette: I wish they just did everything at the pedi here, it would be so much easier.

@Adira: I couldn't imagine if they wanted to do drops. Although, those were easier to do when he was younger, last time he had pink eye it took both of us to do it every time.

12. Adira

@ALV91711: Ugh, sorry to hear the eye appointment didn't go smoothly. Maybe next time will be better. That sucks!

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Ah bummer, it didn't work out well. We took B about three or four months ago to check for scarring from this CMV infection. Everything was fine except that his vision didn't test out equally. (So a big difference in diopter [is that the right English word for it?] between his left and right eye). So we have to go back in August to hopefully do a one-sided visual test. (So one eye will be black out and then the other). He did pretty well at the time except when they inserted the eye drops to widen his pupils.

14. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Giving toddlers eye drops is the worst. Hopefully his next appointment goes well.

@Adira: I hope next time is better. I wasn't too surprised though since he acts the same way at the doctor whether he is healthy or sick.

I'm hoping DH can come next time, he usually does better with his papa around.

What is everybody doing for Fathers Day? I have no ideas and told DH to tell me what he wanted form Isaac! He had a couple good ideas.

15. Adira

@ALV91711: I don't think we're doing anything for Father's Day! Hubs totally dropped the ball on Mother's Day, so... haha. He'll get to sleep in, but that's probably it.

16. Smurfette

I got him a Lewis bag and mallet so he can make crushed ice at home for cocktails. Win win, I get crushed ice too. R got him a Dad mug. We will spend the afternoon at my parents so we will do a special dinner Sat night just us three.

17. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Poor guy. I hope the next visit is better. Is he still rubbing his eye a lot? I hate taking them to the doctor at this age. When does it get better?

I got DH a self-sharpening knife set for Father's Day. He's the cook/foodie of the family and he mentioned that he wanted a new knife set in passing a few months ago.

I also had Pete fill out this Father's Day printable:
    http://www.skiptomylou.org/fathers-day-coloring-page/

He answered that Daddy's favorite food is "wine," and he is so good at, "catching bugs and turning lots of lights on."

We had Grace baptized on Sunday and while we were there, the reverend asked DH to speak at church on Father's Day-a 3-4 minute speech about fatherhood. I had been planning to take him out to brunch but I guess we will be going to church instead! And then we might do a BBQ for my dad in the evening.

@Smurfette: I had never heard of a Lewis bag and I want one now! Saving that idea for Christmas....

18. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

We're not celebrating Father's Day this weekend over here. Father's Day was May 5th over here. We didn't really do much except for the things the kids had crafted in daycare since it was also my mom's 60th birthday.

19. Smurfette

@QueensBee: we hadn't either. He found it in some new cocktail book he got. I might have to do that coloring/question page with R!

20. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Sleeping in is good. It is a good thing that mothers day is first!

@Smurfette: I never knew about a Lewis bag, but looked it up and I like that.

@QueensBee: I like that printable. Yes he is still rubbing/covering his eye. Hopefully next time he'll be more calm. I think we'll go early and he can hang out while I look at new frames for myself. Maybe that will make him more comfortable.

@Pumuckl: I love that daycare does crafts for presents with the kids.

Isaac has been sick with a nasty cold this week. He got sent home Wednesday late morning. He seems better today, but is still coughing like crazy.

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Oh no, hope Isaac feels better soon! I hate when they are so uncomfortable. The cold we all had for the last two weeks also involved lots of coughing for B but it slowly seems to be getting better.

As for us it is otherwise business as usual. I guess now that B and J will get another sibling I will have to retest them for CMV should I still not have a tither by now.

22. Smurfette

@ALV91711: poor guy. Hope he feels better soon!
    @Pumuckl: what is CMV? Congrats again? I still can't believe we are pregnant. We haven't told her yet, waiting a couple more weeks till we get her genetic screening back.

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Congrats! How exciting. What is CMV.

@Smurfette: That is going to be exciting to tell R.

24. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: Basically it's a virus that causes a cold but it can be dangerous for the fetus if mom contacts it during pregnancy. It can lead to hearing defects and mental problems.
    It isn't problematic at all ~70% of all people have contacted it and have a tither. Unfortunately I am not one of them. (At least until Jan 15). So I'll be the first to get checked and if I have contacted it in the last 15m lucky me!

We'll also wait to tell B until we have told our parents and siblings. Maybe even after the NT scan.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Are you finding out the sex of the baby?

@Pumuckl: Hopefully none of you have it. Are you finding out the sex of the baby? How crazy and fun is your house going to be with 3 littles?!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac has two weeks left of gymnastics, yesterday they got their recommendations for the fall and he gets to move up to preschool intro! This means no parent participation. This is a big leap from when he started last fall and wouldn't let go of me.

27. Smurfette

@ALV91711: yes! I am going in Wed for the blood draw for the harmony test. Then we should know in 5-10 days. Once we know the gender and the baby is healthy we will tell R.
    That's great about gymnastics. R started summer gymnastics yesterday and moved up to the non parent class.

28. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: honestly I don't know whether we'll find out. What better circumstances to go team green when you have one of each already. But names might be a nightmare if we cannot rule out one sex 😝

@Smurfette: I am not sure when we'll tell B. Either after our first u/s end of the month or not until after the NT scan so mid August which seems so so far away!

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: How does she like that class? That is exciting that you will know soon.

@Pumuckl: Team green is fun. We were with Isaac and I loved not knowing. Although I think next time I'd find out, and I told DH the second time it was up to him if we found out because I didn't want to the first time.

30. Smurfette

@ALV91711: I was out of town this weekend but DH said she loved it. A girl from her last class is in it. But he said she did great. No issue when he didn't go in with her. She told it was a lot of fun and she likes her Coach.

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That is good. I think the coach can make a world of difference.

32. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: I'm so excited for you to find out gender soon!

@Pumuckl: Congrats! I had no idea you were pregnant with #3! How exciting!!

Did everyone have a good Father's Day? The weather was gorgeous here so we had a fun weekend- on Saturday we went berry picking and today was a beach day. I just love these long summer days. Pete and Grace were both in a great mood all weekend so that helped a lot too.

33. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: Thank you! Still all new, baby no. 3 will hopefully be here Feb 2017.
    We had a fun weekend (it wasn't father's day). We just have CRAPPY nights currently and last night was one of the worst ever. J hasn't been sleeping in her bed for awhile since she is teething and yesterday B was having a rough night also. I think I maybe slept like 3h last night...

@Smurfette: So I suggested going team green to DH yesterday and he was like NOOOO! Ha, so we'll see whether the idea will grow on him or whether we'll just find out.

34. Adira

@QueensBee: We didn't really do anything special for Father's Day, but the weather was gorgeous here too, so we had fun! We filled up the kiddy pool and played outside a ton! And our new patio furniture has finally arrived so we ate a bunch of meal outside, which was fun. It was a great weekend!

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: A beach day sounds found. We didn't do too much. Took Isaac for ice cream for the first time, which he loved. Spent some time playing in the yard and relaxing.

@Pumuckl: Hope you all get a better sleep tonight. Team green would be fun since you have one of each.

@Adira: Sounds like a good relaxing weekend.

36. Smurfette

We had a good Father's Day. Spent the morning at home just us and then went to my parent's house and spent the afternoon with family. Everyone is super excited about #2 on the way. I just want the Harmony results in so we can tell R!

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

We got told this morning that July Isaac is going to the pre-school room. I'm happy but it is kind of bittersweet. He is moving up with three other kids, so that is good. I just love his toddler teacher, so it will be strange, but he will have awesome teachers in the next room.

His toddler teacher said that in the pre-school room they get to go on field trips. I'm excited to learn more about this.

38. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

I'm so behind on here. Congrats @Smurfette: & @Pumuckl: !

@ALV91711: It must be pre-school time. Z is still in a family daycare but as of last week she has started calling it "school." I hope she's not the only 3 yo left come fall. I'm getting laid off and looking for a new position so I've been holding off on my pre-school search until I know what my hours/commute will be like. Or maybe I'll be SAH for a while.

Z finally jumped for the first time last week. That milestone had been driving me nuts since her birthday. She just couldn't seem to bend her knees at the same time, even to bounce on the ground. This new skill will serve her well since she's been stepping off higher and higher heights lately thinking she's jumping but really just collapsing in a heap.

39. Adira

@ALV91711: Aww, don't worry! Preschool is fun!! Xander moved before two of his best friends and it was a little rough until they joined him again. It's great that Isaac is moving with a couple kids in his class!

@Corduroy: Yay for jumping!!!

40. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: B loves going on litte trips with daycare! I am sure Isaac will really enjoy that too.
    And @Adira: is right, it's great they are moving a couple of them up together. Same thing for B (he's moving to Kindergarten in August - although not the KG you guys have in the States) and there are 5 of them moving together and 4 will be in the same group. They are best friends so I am really glad it is working out this way.

@Corduroy: Yay for jumping. Once B got the hang of it he wasn't about to stop anytime soon.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee