Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: it is so funny what they pick up.

School breaks here are a lot longer. We have 6 weeks off in the summer, 2 in fall, 2 around Christmas, 1 week in winter, 2 weeks around Easter and some places have another 2 weeks off in May/June (they don't start summer break until August). So it's more like 12-14 weeks off a year. Most employees have 6 weeks of paid leave a year so it is definitely a struggle for a lot of parents to find care during these times.

2. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Wow, that is a lot of school breaks. But amazing that you get 6 weeks off from work. The standard here to start is 2-3 weeks and usually caps at 5 for most places.

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Yesterday Isaac got out his notebook and started printing letters. I had no idea he could do that. I knew he could do I, but that was it.

What crazy thing have you been surprised by lately?

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Letters! How impressive!! Xander's got "X" down, but I'm not sure he knows many other letters all that well yet.

5. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Wow, that is impressive! I know Pete can write a P and an X but not sure about anything else.

I still get surprised by his use of language. He'll say something like, "Hey, mama, can you do me a favor?" and I'm always startled by how old he is sounding these days!

6. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@ALV91711: I've been surprised that I don't know who is writing DD's name on her school papers this week. It seems too sloppy for a grown up but if it is DD I don't know when she figured out her name. She was putting the bottom line of her Z in the wrong direction the last time I saw her try to write it. Maybe the DCP is messing with me.

7. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@QueensBee: yes to him sounding so grown now. We were watching a video of him last year and the change is remarkable!

L can now write his name and other letters and is starting to sound out words!! I was totally shocked! We watched The Letter Factory and it totally clicked for him. He can spell basic words if I help him separate the sounds, like mom, dad, cat etc.

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: x is a good start. Before this weekend I knew he could do I, but that was it.

@QueensBee: Very grown up question. How can they be old enough to talk like that?

@Corduroy: You should ask them who is doing it. That would be awesome if she was writing her name.

@travellingbee: I am impressed that he can sound out words. He will be reading in no time.

Some kids have monsters in their closets but tonight we were battling dinosaurs in the yard. It is super windy and around 9 Isaac was freaking out. When I went to check on him he was freaked out by these Dino's he could here. DH calmed him and they checked the yard, did some reassuring and he went back to bed.

9. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@ALV91711: I had Z write her name this morning. Definitely not her writing on her artwork. Her Z has improved and she attempted each letter but she has no concept of ordering the letters left to right. Or sizing. I feel silly now that I thought she could have been writing her name. That's a lot of concepts to put together.

10. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

I don't think R can write any letters yet. I know they are working on it at school, but I haven't seen anything. I should ask.

I want to start working on her wiping herself when she poops. Every time I suggest she try and do it herself, she freaks though.

11. Adira

@QueensBee: YES to language! The whole speaking full and complete sentences is amazing!! And the phrases they pick up... Xander's often saying "What the heck??" to something, haha. Ooops!

@Smurfette: YES! Hubs practices with Xander on wiping his butt, but it definitely needs some work! That sucks R freaks out about it. Do you think it's because it's messy?? Maybe remind her that she's going to wash her hands after so it doesn't matter if she gets them dirty?? Does she wipe after pee?

12. Smurfette

@Adira: yeah she has wiped herself from day one. I don't get it. She doesn't know that it is messy, we never make comments about that when we wipe her. I think she is just lazy. I am going to talk to her teachers tonight about helping us with it. Most days she poops while at school.

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: ha, we try to keep B from wiping himself since it usually turns into a mess. Maybe we'll have to change that...

B can definitely not spell his name. He knows which letter his name begins with though if you ask him or show him the alphabet.

Oh and he is finally settling in at the new school. So glad!

14. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: she can spell it if you ask her but she can't write it. At least not that I am aware of. I figure getting her to wipe before the baby comes would help. So when I am in the middle of nursing I don't have to hear Mommy I went poop come wipe me!!!

15. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: haha, that actually never happened over here. I think with a second one is also more prone to just do what you gotta do and not worry as much.

16. Adira

@Smurfette: Are you still going to be solo parenting during the week once baby #2 arrives?

17. Smurfette

@Adira: no clue. Right now DH is home working, but who knows where he will be next week, let alone in 5 months. day care is closed on MLK Day and my thought was crap that might my first time alone with both kids

18. Adira

@Smurfette: Well, hopefully your husband will be home most of the time that you and both kids are home, so he can deal with any potty issues while you are nursing! Can R hold it if she has to poop? Maybe you can just get her to hold it if you are nursing so you can help her out after?

19. Smurfette

@Adira: I wouldn't ask her to hold it. She can always sit on the potty and read I guess. I really hope she will be able to wipe herself by then. I think it is acceptable to her age to be able too. She has to learn some time. She keeps telling us she wants to be a grown up. ha!

20. Smurfette

So I asked her teacher and they are already working on it. And she pretty much wipes herself for poops there. Mom and Dad are suckers

21. Adira

@Smurfette: hahaha, I feel like R does that to you a lot! She does stuff at school that she won't do at home!

22. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Good to know she can do it. Hopefully you can get her to start wiping at home. I'm not looking forward to teaching this.

@Pumuckl: Glad to hear that he is settling into his new school.

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

DH taught Isaac to play go fish last night. He absolutely loves it and had to play again tonight.

He seems way to little to be able to play cards. He does have a bit of trouble holding them though.

24. Adira

@ALV91711: Our kids are old enough to play Go Fish?? Now I want to play it with Xander!

25. travellingbee

@ALV91711: yay! We played go fish with him a few weeks ago too!

I missed this whole discussions about wiping but we have the same issue. He does NOT want to wipe himself. I'm worried we'll be wiping his but til college!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I know, I can't believe it. But if they can recognize their numbers they are old enough. Crazy as it is.

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

What are all the kids being for Halloween? Is everyone going trick or treating?

Isaac is going to be Spiderman. We are going to go around our block. I hope we can dress warm enough since we already have snow.

28. travellingbee

@ALV91711: L is being a pirate and L2 is being his parrot.

29. Smurfette

A ghost! Going to make her a "poncho" out of white fleece, cheap(don't have to see) and easy. Then will glue the face on her belly.

30. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

We're invited to a Halloween party where a custom is expected so I'll have to figure something out. B doesn't like dressing up so it'll have to be easy. Maybe one of these track suits with the skeleton printed on it.

31. Adira

Xander wants to be Thomas again, so that's easy! I just have to re-glue some of Thomas' features back on and he'll be good to go! And Logan's not yet 2, so he is just getting the hand-me-down dinosaur costume. We will go trick-or-treating... which reminds me that I need to get a bucket for Logan!

32. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: That is adorable. I love coordinating costumes!

@Smurfette: That will be cute. I look forward to seeing it.

@Pumuckl: Skeleton pj's or even a pumpkin shirt would be good. Or what about even just wearing a cape and being a superhero?

@Adira: That is easy for this year. The Thomas costume you made last year is awesome.

Last night Isaac asked me if I could go buy him a baby brother. It was so cute.

33. Adira

@ALV91711: Awww, that's sweet he wants a baby brother! Are you going to try to oblige him?

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: We have been kind of trying. Im hoping to be pregnant by the beginning of the year. I'm glad to know he doesn't hate the idea of a baby anymore. About 6 months ago he was saying no babies in our house.

35. Adira

@ALV91711: Well, good luck!!

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Thanks. It is scary and exciting to think about.

37. Adira

@ALV91711: The good news is that second babies usually are easier, just because you already have a good sense about what you are doing. And Isaac will be old enough to be able to play independently if you're busy with the baby and maybe even help you out.

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

For months, Pete wanted our family to be dressed as puzzle pieces. I came up with a whole scheme to laser cut cardboard, paint them, add string, and have cute but simple homemade costumes.

He totally changed his mind at the beginning of October and decided to be Mickey Mouse instead! I'm not a big Disney person at all but here we are- We are all dressing as characters from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! Pete is Mickey, Grace is Minnie, I am Daisy, and DH is Goofy. I actually had some fun putting together the different costumes and am looking forward to Halloween! I'm just hoping he doesn't change his mind again. Too late, kid!

@Adira: Oh Xander- always so easy and happy! And that costume was amazing! Glad it's getting another year to be showcased.

@Smurfette: So cute!

@travellingbee: I love that they will be a little duo!

@Pumuckl: The skeleton outfit sounds perfect for the party!

@ALV91711: Snow already?! Good luck with baby #2! Spiderman sounds adorable.

39. Adira

@QueensBee: Oh man, that sucks he changed his mind on you!!! But those costumes sound adorable. If he tries to suggest something else, just tell him he can do that next year but you already have his costume set for this year.

40. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Easier would be good. I just hope we get a good sleeper this time around. The lack of sleep is what worries me the most when I have a preschooler around to look after too.

@QueensBee: Puzzle pieces would have been great. Disney will be fun. I hope he doesn't try to change his mind again.

Luckily the snow is melting but it is still chilly. It is going to be a long winter.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee