Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@QueensBee: We'll have a Mickey Mouse too. My 16 month old is going as Mickey Mouse if I can get my act together. Do you have a lead on good mouse ears?

Z is going to be Belle in the yellow gown made by MIL. MIL makes beautiful gowns but for some reason went more nightgown-ish for this one. I can tell Z is disappointed but she hasn't said anything yet. When MIL sent it she said I should feel free to buy a fancier one but that's so awkward. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

Z called my costume that I've been wearing for years tired so I have to find something new. I pulled together a blue dress and white apron Belle costume from my closet. I thought it was pretty good and that Z would like it but she lost her mind. Clearly there can be only one Belle.

2. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Corduroy: Isn't one of the Frozen princesses in a blue dress (Anna?)? Could you tell her that's what your custome is?

Ha, I hate when the thread jumps a page, it makes replying so difficult.

@ALV91711: FX for #2, parenting the second time around is way easier than the first time. Also most people I know had better sleepers the second time around (with a few exceptions).

@QueensBee: Mickey costumes sound like fun! I bet B would like that but Halloween is more "scary" here still so the "sweet" costumes aren't brought out until Carnival (so Jan/Feb).

So this morning was interesting, B wanted to wear a short sleeved T, mind you no snow yet but temps are in the 40/lower 50s so it was too cold. So I made him put a longsleeve under his T. Apparently it was the wrong shade of blue. He was throwing a tantrum for 20' before he decided he didn't want to leave to preschool without breakfast. Oh boy... J is also in a tantrumy phase whenever something doesn't happen EXACTLY like she wants it to happen so things will be great when we have two newborns around, right? (End sarcasm).

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: Have you found yourself an acceptable costume? I like the Ana suggestion for the blue dress or even Cinderella?

@Pumuckl: I hope the worst of the tantruming ends before the twins are here.

Yesterday Isaac had a meltdown when helping DH make dinner because he had cream cheese on his finger. Instead of asking for a cloth he just lost it, luckily a time out calmed him down pretty quickly.

4. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Hope everyone had a fun Halloween!

5. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Hope you guys did too!

Here are my little trick-or-treaters!

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I just love that Thomas costume.

7. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: adorable!

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

How is the time change going for everyone?

Yesterday wasn't bad but today was. He was tired and clingy this morning and then tonight he was pretty tired too. Hopefully another day or two and things will be back to normal.

9. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: we reset our clocks a week earlier in Europe and both did amazingly well. Their daycare routine always helps make the adjustment really quick.

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: I agree that daycare helps. Sadly someone came to hog our bed around 1am and then was awake and ready to go at 4:45am.

11. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

It went fine for us. My Mom was babysitting so we told her to keep her up later. Then she slept till 7, which would have been 8. Luckily it worked for us. My kid doesn't ever want to go to sleep so she was fine going to bed at normal time Sunday night.

12. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@ALV91711: It's been amazingly fine. He adjusted right away. Even crazier, so has the littlest one!

13. Adira

Time change went pretty smoothly for us. We actually forgot about it, so the kids were up early on Sunday, but then they switched to the new time easily enough.

14. Adira

Ahhhh!!! I booked a cruise for our family for April!!! I'm so excited and NERVOUS! We've never flown with the kids before! And what if they get sea sick????

15. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: yay 🛳, I'm sure you'll have a blast! And flying isn't as crazy as everyone always makes it seem I find. Both your kiddos will old enough to understand a lot of what is going on and that makes it easier.

16. Adira

@Pumuckl: Yay! Thanks! I think I'm actually more nervous about Xander flying than Logan. Xander's very sensitive to loud noises, so I'm worried he's going to be scared.

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is going to be so fun! Flying will be a breeze. Lots of snacks and some new dollar store toys. And people and generally really nice, helpful & understanding when you travel with kids.

18. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: it definitely helps with B to prepare him in advance and talk to him while things happen so basically just comment on everything going on like "now the airplane is starting up its engines, this can get loud"... also maybe you or your DH have noise canceling headphones? Those are amazing at taking airplane sounds away.

19. Adira

@ALV91711: Thanks! My main concern with the snacks is that I'll have to buy everything once I get past security, right? I'm worried about finding stuff for them given their food allergies. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.

@Pumuckl: Thanks for the tip! We've actually already told Xander about the airplane ride so he can prepare himself, haha. He's already worried! He keeps asking me questions about how loud it will be and how fast it will be and stuff.

20. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: No, you can bring food through security, just not liquids. I usually bring a water bottle to fill once we are through security.

Noise cancelling headphones are a great idea. He has lots of time to prepare. Maybe find some youtube videos about planes taking off to watch with him.

21. Adira

@ALV91711: Oh! You can bring food?? Thanks!!!! I obviously need to read up on my TSA rules!

22. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Actually you might even be able to bring drinks. Not sure what age the cut off is but I think it was 5. TSA should have information on that. And I second @ALV91711: on the you tube videos. Also there might be some books out there that could help.

23. Adira

@ALV91711: @Pumuckl: You ladies are so helpful!!!! Thank you!!

24. Smurfette

@Adira: yall will have a blast!

25. Adira

@Smurfette: Thanks! I'm so excited!!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Frim what I'm aware the cut off she for bringing liquids is 2. I've been able to get pouches through though after 2. Books are a good idea.

I'm jealous, I wish we were going in a fun family vacation other than just visiting family. Next year is my sisters wedding, then the year after we are going to go somewhere of our choice.

27. Adira

@ALV91711: Ahh, thanks. My youngest will be over 2 at that point, so I guess I'll try to stick to the 3-1-1 liquid rule!

I hear you about vacations though. I never in a million years thought we'd be going on a vacation next year, let alone the next FEW YEARS! My husband has been pretty adamant about not wanting to travel while the kids are still in diapers. I thought our first real vacation was going to be Disney World when Logan turns 5!!! But my best friend and her family were going on a cruise and they just happened to invite us to come along and Hubs said yes! So I booked everything immediately before he could change his mind, haha.

28. Adira

What are you ladies getting your kids for Christmas? I was originally thinking of a play kitchen, but Hubs has veto'd it because he doesn't think we really have the space (and he's probably right). I need some good ideas!!

29. Smurfette

@Adira: Kitchen is a great idea. She still plays with hers all the time, almost two years later. I don't think they take up that much space.
    She wants a dollhouse for her Barbies to sleep. So that is her main gift. DH is going to hate it when he has to put it together (just a Kidkraft one that fits Barbie, but not an official Barbie house). Then we got Beauty and the Beast blue-ray that I have saved, a couple frozen plush dolls, and then DH wants to get her a kids real tool set, since she plays with her toy ones to help him. Maybe a new Barbie for the dollhouse. Then stocking stuffers and probably that is it. She is going to get so much stuff from family. I would rather save the money. We will see if she says anything else to Santa.

30. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I thought the play kitchen was a good idea too, but we just don't have a lot of wall space available to put it anywhere. I think we'd be able to squeeze it into Xander's rooms, but Hubs isn't a fan. Boo!

Good point about them getting lots of stuff from family! At this point, I'm thinking maybe just a couple big accessories for their train tracks because they still play with that every single day.

31. Smurfette

@Adira: what about a trampoline? It goes outside. Oh wait you get snow so that might not be a good idea.

32. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, being in the Northeast blows!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: A barbie house will be fun!

@Adira: I think the kitchen is a good idea. You could make it work for now and then when the boys share a room and the other bedroom holds the toys there would be more space.

Isaac's getting a wooden train set. He has enough to build a figure 8, so santa is going to bring him more. He's going to get a lego set, some action figures, paw patrol toys and some stocking stuffers. The other day he just said that he wants a kitchen, but that isn't happening. We don't really have the space and that won't work with traveling. Flying home has made me really think about what I'm buying.

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Maybe you can convince DH by saying the playkitchen can double up as storage? We have a kidkraft one and it gets a lot of play in our house from both kiddos and we store their puzzles and board games in it.

B has asked us for a watch, a new plate (his personalized melanin one broke and now he uses regular plates but he has asked santa for a new one so we'll see) and another train 🚂 for his playset.
    Both of them together will get a new bookshelf since we need one upstairs too where we keep the goodnight reads.
    I an still a little at loss what to get for J since it's her birthday not even 3 weeks after Christmas.

35. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Pumuckl: I have the same problem, since it's Little L's bday a week after Christmas. And he already has everything that was his brother's...

I'm getting both boys new anywhere chairs (Big L is sizing up and Little L is getting the hand me done with a new cover.) That's the big gift. L asked for a "kid doll" so I'm getting him a boy 18" doll. And a couple other smaller things.

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: What type of watch are you going to get. Isaac has said he would like one but I don't know what would be best. I think I'll get him one for his birthday.

@travellingbee: New chairs are a good idea.

MIL did her shopping for Isaac online and had it shipped to us. She did good, giant colouring book, books and puzzles. All in paw patrol which he will love. I'm so glad she didn't go crazy overboard.

37. Adira

@Smurfette: @ALV91711: @Pumuckl: I got Hubs to agree to the play kitchen!!! I did some measuring and if we just move Xander's bookcase over, we'll have room against that wall. I'm so excited!

Now I just hope it goes on sale...

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is exciting! The boys will love it.

39. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: I am not sure yet. He can't really read it yet but understands that the longer hand has to move this far in order for this and that to happen. So definitely an analog watch.

@Adira: yay on the play kitchen 😃

40. Adira

Woohoo!! It went on sale!!! Play Kitchen has been purchased!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee