Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@QueensBee: Oh wow! I guess you'll know if her needs to transition if he continues to do it. Or it might be a novelty that he's figured out once.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@shopaholic: When she got the shots, did the pediatrician say a fever was common or when you should call? If you don't think it's too high to call, I'd maybe wait another day (so basically 48 hours after the shots) and then call if it's still going on. Poor K!

3. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@shopaholic: the only time R has had a fever that high is when she had HFM. It was two days of fever (not the whole day though) and then fever was gone and the spots appeared. She didn't get a lot of spots and they were super tiny. I think she had a really mild case. Maybe be on the look out for that.
    Hope she feels better!

4. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: When I called on Tuesday, they told me a fever could be normal for a day. She still has a fever of 101.5 today, and a snotty runny nose, so maybe it's just a cold. The other 2 kids in the playgroup fevers broke yesterday but so far no rash. So we're just all on the lookout. The doc said if it is roseola, nothing they can do about it so just to wait and see.

5. Smurfette

@shopaholic: glad it has gone down!

6. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@shopaholic: @Smurfette: @Adira: I still haven't come up with a plan for bed transition (I'm in denial). Should I buy the Oeuf conversion kit? A toddler bed from Ikea? Or a twin bed? There are so many different blog posts about it on HelloBee that I cannot make a decision! Luckily, he hasn't attempted it again yet so I think I have a few more days to decide.

@shopaholic: How is she feeling today? I hope it passes quickly!

Pete actually woke up yesterday with a cold and I'm really hoping it's better before his party tomorrow.

7. Smurfette

@QueensBee: If you don't already have a conversion kit, then I would go for a regular bed, twin, full, or whatever you want to do. We bought the conversion kit when we bought the crib, it goes to toddler bed and then a full. If we didn't I would just go to a regular bed, and get rails so they can't fall out.

8. Adira

@QueensBee: I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on just transitioning Xander's crib to a toddler bed. I have a side rail for it so that he won't fall out when sleeping, but he'll be able to get in and out on his own... sooooo not looking forward to that day...

9. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: You're probably right and I think that's what we'll end up doing, especially since we'd like to have another LO in the next year who will need the crib. However, I just love his crib and it's in perfect condition. It looks so charming in his nursery that I'm sad about swapping it out. Silly, I know! I have to get over it because I know it's not worth the $150 for the conversion kit.

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Did you buy a second crib for Logan or will he move into Xander's crib when he transitions to a toddler bed?

11. Adira

@QueensBee: We got a second crib for Logan (actually, my parents bought it) because Xander's crib converts a toddler bed and then to a full-sized bed. We actually got the exact same crib for Logan.

Ours doesn't come with side rails though for the toddler bed. We got something like this: http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Convertible-Crib-Bed-Rai/dp/B002ZDFVP4/

12. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: B hasn't escaped the crib yet but he's been putting his foot on top of the rails. So once we move next month we'll take out the removable slits so he can get out. I think we'll put a baby gate up on his door so he cannot go roaming around the house. We have two cribs luckily both of them were still there from when my siblings and I were small. We'll get B a full size bed with rail in a year or so.

Our pedi appointment yesterday went well. He's 3ft tall and 34lbs. Big boy... Developmental he's fully on track and even ahead on his fine motor skills. He got vaccinated and his blood drawn to yet again check his liver markers. Hopefully we'll be fully done with that after this go round. Little J also got vaccinated and didn't respond to well to it. She was screaming like crazy until I gave her something for the pain. She's back to her normal self now.

13. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Thanks for the link! Wow, i didn't even know they made cribs that transition to twin beds, cool!

@Pumuckl: Awe, sorry that J had a rough day after her vaccinations. Hope your move and transition to the new bed is a smooth one!

14. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: big boy! Poor girl! Glad she is feeling better after the meds.
    @QueensBee: ours converts to a full too!

15. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Happy Birthday Pete!! Hope he's having a fun day!

16. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Thanks!! Hope Isaac had a great day too! We had a party at our house and it felt a bit crazy. There were 9 kids, two dogs, and a bunch of adults. I think Pete was a little overwhelmed and he cried through the singing and cake. But, he rebounded and seemed to have a better time at the end once everything started winding down.

@Smurfette: It converts into a full double bed or a single? Either way, so cool!!

17. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

Happy birthday Pete and Isaac!

18. Smurfette

@QueensBee: crib to toddler to full!

19. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@travellingbee: Thanks! Can't believe these mini men are really 2!

I'm so excited! I found a beautiful toddler bed for free off a local listerv! DH picked it up tonight and we'll probably assemble it and move him next weekend. It's been nearly impossible to put him to sleep this week due to all the excitement around his birthday (and out-of-town grandparents visiting), I just can't imagine how he will ever fall asleep in a bed. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

20. Adira

@QueensBee: Ours is the same as @Smurfette: it converts from crib to toddler (basically just remove the front of the crib) and then to a full bed (the back of the crib becomes the headboard). So awesome about that toddler bed you found!! I hope he likes it!!

21. Smurfette

@QueensBee: score!!

22. travellingbee

@QueensBee: so curious to know how it goes so definitely update us!

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac had his 2 year appointment today. He is 27lbs and 2'9". Healthy and growing. We don't have to go back for a year. It was horrible though as he cried from the time his name was called to go into the exam room until the doctor left. They did the measurement standing but then the doctor did it laying down since she figured it wasn't as accurate because they don't know how to stand straight this little.

@QueensBee: That is awesome that you found a free bed. I hope that the transition goes smoothly.

@travellingbee: Thanks! I can't believe we are at 2 already.

@Pumuckl: Hopefully you he won't have to get blood drawn for a long time. I can't believe how tall he is.

24. Adira

@ALV91711: Your appointment sounds like how ours goes. Xander's fine in the waiting room, but as soon as his name gets called, he starts crying. I hate going to the doctor with him now.

So there's so bug going around here. Xander's had diarrhea and vomiting and is just plain miserable.

25. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@Adira: ugh what a rough day. I hope he feels better soon and nobody else gets it!

@ALV91711: that's great you don't have to go back for a long time! It's so weird how often we used to go and now we seem to only go if something's wrong!

@QueensBee: awwww poor guy! Cake always brings them around, though

We're staying in the crib. E hasn't figured out that she can climb out yet or even attempted it. And she really likes it in there. Every morning, I say "do you want to go to Terri's? are you ready to get up?" and she goes "uh-uh/no" and flops around in her crib. The most i've seen her do is after i brush her teeth and she knows it's bedtime, she runs into her room and stands on the mattress between the slats of the crib and waits for me to plunk her in. She's a weirdo. I'll count my blessings, though, in the sleep department! I'm actually hoping she can stay there until she's 3 :O

E's bday next Sunday. It feels so weird to me!

26. Adira

@blackbird: Thanks! My husband is staying home with him today and I'll stay home with him tomorrow and then hopefully he can go back to daycare on Thursday.

I'm hoping Xander will stay in the crib for a long time too! Although I just had a dream that he got out of his crib in the middle of the night AND converted it to a toddler bed on his own! What???

27. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Glad that he is doing great!
    @Adira: oh no! R pooped like 5 times on Sat but luckily it never turned into anything else.
    @blackbird: R was PISSED Sat night when I put her in the crib, screaming and crying. I walked out and turned the monitor on and had to run back in the room cause she was trying to climb out again. But once I calmed her down she was fine. So I think we just need to make sure she isn't crying when we put her in and then we can hopefully keep her caged up longer!

We leave Thursday for vacation. I am getting so nervous to leave her. I know she will be fine with my parents. They are going to take her to day care Fri and Mon, so really they have to entertain her Sat and Sun. I just hope she doesn't cry every day for us. I am going to miss her so much. Hopefully the beach, sand, and drinks will help comfort me

28. Adira

@Smurfette: I think she'll be fine!! My parents watched Xander the weekend that I had Logan and he was totally cool with it. My mom says there were a couple times he asked about us ("Mama? Dada?") but they just told him that we were in the hospital and we'd be home the next day or something and he was totally fine. Enjoy your vacation!!

29. travellingbee

@Smurfette: Oh she'll do great! We left L with his grandparents when we went to Mexico and we missed him more than he missed us. We would try to Facetime and he was all "Bye Bye Mommy" and walk away. Totally unphased by us not being there. When we got home and picked him up, he cried for my parents. Gee thanks kid! But I'm glad to know that he does just fine.

30. Smurfette

@Adira: thanks!
    @travellingbee: I hope we have the same luck. They are staying at our house, cause then they can take her to day care and I think it will be easier since this is the first time. How long were you gone?

31. blackbird

@Smurfette: Good plan! i think my weirdo just likes to go to bed?!?! I don't know!

32. travellingbee

@Smurfette: Friday 6am through Monday 6pm. So four full days. He stayed with them so he didn't go to school, but they were exhausted so I think it will be easier on them to stay with you.

33. Smurfette

@travellingbee: We are dropping her off at day care at 715 sharp on Thursday. Car is picking us at 725. We don't land Monday till 5pm, so my Mom is having to stay all day so she can pick her up. While we rush through customs to get home so we can see her before she goes to bed. DH and I will be fighting over who gets to do bedtime that night for sure.

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: We've left Pete for 4-5 days with his grandparents and have had the same experience as the others...he loved it! Have so much fun on your adults-only vacay!

We just returned from our 2 year appointment at the pediatrician. Length is 33 1/4" and weight is 28.2 lbs, so it seems like he's one of the smaller spring babes here. He actually did pretty well for the visit and was charming the nursing staff, but he did put up a fuss when the doctor wanted to inspect his boy parts. We survived by finger prick blood draw by distracting him with Elmo on the iphone. We haven't gotten lead results back yet but they did say he's a bit low on iron so needs more broccoli, spinach, and red meat. And we're due back in six months for another check-in. All in all, not too bad!

35. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Just saw that Xander is sick today. I hope that it passes quickly and doesn't spread! And LOL to your dream about him setting up the toddler bed!

36. blackbird

@Smurfette: dude it is going to be an AMAZING trip!

37. Adira

@QueensBee: You only had to do a finger prick? Jealous! And Pete's bigger than Xander, so no worries - I think I have the peanut of the group, at least for boys. And thanks for your well-wishes about Xander. I actually called the pediatrician this morning about him and whatever he has been going around - the nurse I spoke to was really familiar with it and basically told us to expect the vomiting and diarrhea to be bad for two days and then he should start feeling better.

38. Smurfette

@QueensBee: he is bigger weight wise then R! She is just a little taller. We would be trouble if she had low iron, she doesn't eat those foods.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I hope he gets better quickly.

@blackbird: That is awesome that she doesn't attempt to climb out. Isaac doesn't either, even when he is mad. I'd also like to use the crib until 3 if we can.

@Smurfette: I hope you have an awesome get away. I'm sure R will do fine. Isaac like having Grandma babysit him for a couple days last week, even though it wasn't over night.

@travellingbee: That must have been heartbreaking that he didn't want to talk to you, but at the same time good that he was having such a good time.

@QueensBee: Pete is bigger than Isaac. I'm so glad we didn't have to do any sort of blood draw since Isaac was already screaming so bad.

40. travellingbee

@ALV91711: yes that's just how I felt. Heartbroken but still happy that he was ok without me. Because in the end isnt that my goal? To raise an independent person? I'll never stifle his independence but ah so bittersweet.
    @QueensBee: he sounds perfect
    @Adira: we had that this year... Ugh!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee