I thought I'd share my experience after reading the book 12 Hours of Sleep by 12 Weeks old. I've been hesitant to share about it because I know there are a lot of opinions about how/when to train a baby to sleep (if at all), but I hope this might help at least one person who is looking for some help getting his/her infant to sleep.

The basic gist of the book is that you space out a baby's main feedings to 4 in one day (for example 7 AM, 11 AM, 3 PM, 7 PM) and give your baby a decent amount of breastmilk/formula at each feeding (6ish ounces). You then can wean him or her off of the night feedings slowly. Getting in all those calories during the day should satisfy your baby's needs, and thus s/he sleeps through the night eventually because s/he doesn't need to eat. My son is thriving growth-wise, so I know his daily caloric-intake is going well!

That's the idea.....here's what I did. I started this all right around when my son turned two months old. He's now 3.5 months and is mostly STTN and doesn't eat between 7 PM-6:45 A.M.

My son's first feeding of the day is between 7-7:30 AM. I BF him for a total of 24 minutes. I then feed him again roughly 3.5-4 hours later (if he's napping he'll stretch it to 4, otherwise he wants to eat pretty much at 3.5 hours). Let's call his second feeding between 10:30-11, his third one between 2-2:30, and his third one around 5:30/6. At his 6 PM feeding I either feed him for 20 minutes on one side, or feed him for 10 minutes on both sides. I then take him upstairs and give him a bath, and then feed him again for another 15 or 20 minutes. This isn't from the book-I just figure topping him up right before he falls asleep is a good way to ensure he sleeps well.

Now we have the "this is when you sleep 12 hours" period of time-roughly 7 PM-7 AM. You essentially are trying to let the baby dictate night feedings, but slowly eliminating how much you feed them at each one. When I started this process, I was dream feeding my son at 11, he typically wanted to eat again around 4, and then I often could stretch him until 7-sometimes not. He woke up more frequently than that, but using a pacifier meant he only ate at 11 and 4 (roughly). Thanks to @Mrs.Blue's advice of trying the pacifier before automatically feeding, I discovered a lot of what my son wanted in the MOTN was comfort-not food. He'd take the pacifier and almost always head back to sleep. Following the advice of the book, I let him dictate the wake-ups. The first three nights he woke up around midnight-about 5 hours after his 7 PM feeding. While this was impressive for him eating-wise, since I go to bed between 10:30-11:30, I was only getting about an hour of sleep or less for the first stretch, and it was really messing with my overall sleep. As a result, I brought back the 11 PM feeding that I prompted, and then went to bed. I started by giving him 3 pumped ounces in a bottle. Three days later I have him 2.5 pumped ounces. Three days after that only 2, etc. Here's the neat part....about 5 days into this, I put his pacifier in around 3:30 AM, went back to sleep, and he slept until 6:30!! He went from 11 PM-6:30 without eating! I was SO excited! The book very explicitly says once they self-drop a feeding on their own, you reeeeallly shouldn't add it back in. If you're desperate you can give them an ounce or two, but if it's possible, try to hold out until the next feeding. For the next three weeks I slowly decreased the amount he got during his dream feed by half an ounce every 3-4 days. He would always eat and go right back to sleep. About two weeks ago I didn't offer him the half-ounce in a bottle anymore, and he was totally fine. He now doesn't need to eat between bed time and morning wake-up time. He still has wake-ups (and now that he's getting close to four months he's starting to think about rolling over-hello 4 months sleep regression!), but he hasn't once gotten hungry so I haven't offered him food.

I don't love or follow everything in the book (she suggests a modified CIO for getting them down and/or when they wake up between 7-7, (no more than 3-5 mins each time). For my son, if I let him cry for too long, I need to start from scratch soothing him, so I typically go straight in for the pacifier replacement. He is slowly learning how to fall back asleep on his own (recently I've heard him 'talk' to himself in the MOTN and I see he's rolling around on the monitor, but he doesn't cry and sometimes puts himself back to sleep so I let him do it himself).

Tl;dr: My son is 3.5 months old and goes from 7-P.M. to 6:30/7 A.M. with a few wake-ups for comfort but doesn't need to eat. He also has put himself on a nap schedule which is amazing-I didn't even need to re-read the chapter on nap training in the book because he was so well-rested at night that naps came about naturally. Feel free to ask questions or anything else. A link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Hours-Sleep-Weeks-Step/dp/0525949593