My just-turned-3-year old is having bedtime issues. Once he's asleep, he's mostly fine. But getting him to stay in bed has been a nightmare. He transitioned to a toddler bed about a month ago and potty trained around the same time. After our normal bedtime routine, I leave the room and he opens the door giggling within a minute. He says he has to pee (sometimes he does, sometimes not) and this can happen 2-6 times before I lose it. I know it's developmentally normal and he' s just testing boundaries.. I know I'm supposed to stay calm and consistent. Logically, I get it, but emotionally it's horrible. It feels like he's taunting me and I feel so angry when it happens. I yell, then I feel like a monster (usually he just laughs at me when I yell), and it's a mess. I come up with a plan and a script, and then it's all out the window the next time around.

My question is: What have you done to help yourself stay calm in your most challenging parenting moments? What's worked? Any tips on getting a child to stay in bed, other than staying calm and consistent and leading him back into bed 5000 times?

Thank you!!