Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

4 year old shoots family-friend

1. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@MrsTiz: I agree with this statement, "So neither of you would ride in a car or go to someones house that owns a gun? It's so interesting to see how different it is in different parts of the US! You guys could never leave the house here lol! "
    One of the local bar and grills here had a 2nd ammendment party last weekend, starting with a turkey shoot, moving on to a speech by one of our House Representatives, and ending with raffling off a pistol. Where I live, I'd say 90% of the people own guns and 100% of our friends do and I have never heard of anyone ever having an injury due to a gun. Safety is expected and followed here.

2. KissMeCait

apricot / 280 posts

I don’t like guns. Never have, never will. If I could have my way, we would never have a gun in our home but my husband would like a pistol some day. I’ll allow it, if I have to, as long as every precaution is taken (locked gun safe, unloaded, ammunition in a separate area of the house, etc). I’m certainly not happy about it but it’s his right… I guess.

We hear these stores much too often. Some stupid adult leaves a loaded weapon lying around and it ends up in the wrong hands. A few years ago, a kid from my area was killed when he and his friend were screwing around with the friend’s dad’s gun. The friend shot this kid in the head. He died instantly. He had his whole life ahead of him but some careless father left a loaded weapon in a place where his child could have access to it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The scary thing is that this really could happen to anyone. Unless you do a background check and give the parents of your kids friends a common sense test, you’d have no way of knowing if your child is going to walk into the same situation that this poor boy did. That’s one of the many reasons why I don’t like guns and I wish they weren’t so readily available.

3. 2PeasinaPod

pomelo / 5524 posts

I'm also terrified of guns. I feel like those who are gun owners always say that gun safety is expected and they'll teach their children about gun safety, but I'm sure that the guy in this article thought he was being safe with his guns too. I just don't trust other people and wouldn't ride in a car with anyone who had a gun either. End of story for me.

4. Bao

GOLD / wonderful apricot / 22276 posts

@mrbee: Oh my gosh, not ok!

5. cyndistar3

pomegranate / 3980 posts

We have one gun. It is locked away unloaded but it still scares me, I would rather not have it but I have nothing against them but I have never used one before so it terrifies me. We plan to go to the range so I can learn how to use it. We live in a fairly scary neighborhood and I like having it just in case we have issues.

6. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@jetsa: Same! I live within walking distance of a turkey shoot, so every Friday and Saturday night it sounds like the 4th of July! The fire station does a raffle to support them and the raffle off shotguns.

7. KissMeCait

apricot / 280 posts

@MrsTiz: “It's been just fine forever, why all the commotion now.”

Not to start a debate but I’ll have to respectfully disagree with that statement. If everything had been “just fine”, gun control wouldn’t be such a topic of contention.

I know that this is one of those hot button issues (right up there with abortion and iPhone vs. android) and that both sides have valid arguments. I personally respect an individual’s right to own a weapon if they do so legally and responsibly but at the same time, so many people are absolutely dumb as shit now a days.

On one side of the spectrum, there’s my uncle. He’s an avid hunter and responsible gun owner. He takes every safety precaution necessary to make sure that his weapons are kept out of the wrong hands. I have zero issues with people like him owning guns. On the other side, is my friend’s brother. How he even made it past the 5th grade is beyond me but the federal government deemed him worthy to carry a deadly weapon. Never in a million years would I have given him a license to own a gun but because he met the necessary requirements to do so, he can. It’s scary.

8. MsLipGloss

GOLD / pineapple / 12662 posts

@MrsTiz: I agree, especially the part about being *over* the gun debate.

That being said, a much larger, scarier problem (imo) is texting/non-hands-free talking on cell phones while driving!

9. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

I know better than to dip my toe in the water, but what scares me the most is when people leave guns around their house, unloaded. The owner may be licensed and responsible, but if that gun ever gets stolen, who knows where it will end up.

Please lock up your guns. I respect your right to own them, but consider what could happen if they fall into the wrong hands.

10. Rescuemom10

pear / 1965 posts

We have a few guns. We have talked to our oldest DD about it and when she is a little older I want her to take gun safety.

I grew up around guns, and pretty much everyone in the family owned and had them in their homes. We grew up knowing about them, knowing to respsect them, and when we were old enough we learned to shoot them and even had to take a safety course on them.

11. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

wonderful pea / 17279 posts

@Rescuemom10: Were you ever pressured by your friends to find the guns and handle them?

12. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@KissMeCait: All I meant by that is that it has become so highly publicized lately, the media takes turns selling what is "hot" at the time. Unfortunately, it's gun control right now.

13. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

I don't think "gun control" is the right issue to focus on either, it should really be more about getting people with mental illnesses the treatement they need. I live pretty close to Sandy Hook, in CT, a state with the most stringent gun control laws in the country and look what good that did.

Unfortunately, incidents like this will continue to happen until we address people getting the help they need.

14. jetsa

grapefruit / 4663 posts

@MsLipGloss: @MrsTiz: yes exactly on being over it. I just don't believe if we take all the guns away the violence will stop, I think people will just find another 'weapon' be it a rock, a knife, or something else. Like this: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/17673057-at-least-14-hurt-in-stabbing-spree-on-texas-college-campus-authorities-say?lite

15. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@jetsa: Yep, if you want to kill someone..you'll find a way to do it. You'll get a knife, make a bomb, grab a bat, an ax, drive your car through a crowd.

16. MrsTiz

cantaloupe / 6800 posts

@looch: I could not agree with you more! That is the real issue, too bad more people don't see it that way.

17. MsMamaBear

pear / 1861 posts

Yes, they are locked up as well. My dad didn't have a gun, but my granddaddy did because he hunted. They were in a locked gun safe. There are over 15 grandkids...we KNEW not to try to find the key and unlock it.

I'm not afraid of shot guns, but hand guns and semi automatic ones, yes. Probably b/c I grew up around them.

18. Rainbow Sprinkles

eggplant / 11287 posts

We don't own guns and will never ever ever ever own them.

19. Foodnerd81

wonderful cherry / 21504 posts

We do not own guns and never will. I grew up in a densely populated, suburban area, and live in the city now-- I see no need for anyone around me to have guns in their homes. However, I've never lived in the country or a rural area so I can't really make judgments about that.

Did you guys see this update to the story: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/us/tennessee-gun-death/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1
    Apparently, the deputy wrote to CNN with more info, saying it wasn't unattended, he takes extreme precautions with his weapons and that no one saw the kid enter the room or pick it up. That's even scarier to me-- someone who is extremely well trained in gun safety, a law officer, and this still happened. And there was another tragedy in NJ where a 4 year old accidentally shot a 6 year old.

I would not allow my child to play at a house where there were guns, or ride in a car with one. I realize things are different in different parts of the country, but there is just no need around here.

20. Rescuemom10

pear / 1965 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: Nope not at all. My parents talked to us about that though. They didnt hide the guns. We knew where they were. We just knew to respect them, that we dont handle them. But also knew if someone had one, or someone else got one out. What to do to safely dissarm or get someone etc.

I honestly dont think I would have EVER been tempted even if a friend asked. My parents didnt make it mysterious or intriguing that we felt the need to go sneak and hold one or see one etc...

21. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: that is terrifying. I can't imagine what could have happened at that party. Guns can quickly escalate a situation. We know people who think that all teachers should be carrying "so school shootings don't happen." Yes, because more guns in schools is safer. Teachers who are not trained law enforcement officers should apparently get into shoot outs with deranged psychopaths...ugh. That just blows my mind.

22. BananaPancakes

grapefruit / 4817 posts

@JamieLee: I agree that is the stupidest argument ever. We own guns, we use guns, but I sure as heck don't want some random person who isn't comfortable with a gun being forced to be around a gun.

23. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@BananaPancakes: exactly! Not everyone has the same comfort level with guns, and some people are downright terrified of them. Making them responsible for a loaded gun is such a good idea, especially around children. That sort of situation would be beyond stressful and chaotic, and inexperienced people with guns would just lead to more casualties.

24. Mrs. Jacks

blogger / pineapple / 12381 posts

No way, no how. When I worked at the level 1 trauma center I saw this type of tragedy all to often. No matter how well you secure a lethal weapon you can never be 100% assured of safety. The data don't lie!

25. Mrs. Jacks

blogger / pineapple / 12381 posts

@jetsa: knives are far less likely to kill. Lethality matters.

26. Lindsay05

pomegranate / 3759 posts

We own several guns. We hunt for our food and that's the sole purpose for owning the guns (besides the odd nuisance animal in our yard). We are very supportive of guns but only with the proper knowledge of gun safety. Since banning guns isn't going to solve all gun crimes, making education mandatory in order to own a gun may help decrease these terrible accidents from occurring. We have to remember that the gun itself is not harmful but it being placed in the wrong hands makes it a lethal weapon. Guns should be stored, unloaded and locked and the ammo locked in a separate place. Also children should definitely be educated to never handle them.

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee