When N woke up from her nap this afternoon, her whole body was soo hot that we immediately took her temp to discover that she had a 102.9 degree fever. I called my pediatrician, and he said that if she wasn't vomiting and was still eating and drinking liquids, that a trip to urgent care wouldn't be necessary... and that I could give her some tylenol or advil.

After I gave her some infant tylenol, her fever went down to 99 degrees, but right before bed we checked her temp again and it went back to 102.8 degrees. 1) We've never had her temp spike so high before, and 2) Every time she did have a fever, it always stayed down... it's never spiked back up.

We are concerned, but is there anything we can do besides monitor her throughout the night and hoping it breaks by morning? She basically laid on the couch all afternoon and didn't do much, and requested to go to bed when bedtime rolled around. She is visibly tired even though she took a 3 hour nap this afternoon and woke up at 4:30 pm.

Also, this fever came out of the blue! She had a cough this morning and that was the only sign of illness - she doesn't have a runny nose or any other typical cold symptoms.