I had my 37 week appt today. We talked about induction because my first two deliveries were "traumatic". Both kids (one natural, one induced) had to be extracted (one vacuum, one forceps) because their hearts stopped tolerating labor. Both were also posterior. The natural labor (40 weeks) got stuck while the induction (smaller at 39 weeks) did not.
Part of me, with my history of scary deliveries, likes the idea of the hospital telling me when to give birth because they aren't busy so there are enough people around should something go south. Also, peds will be evaluating LO immediately because of the potential of a heart defect. So it isn't just the OB and nurses that are needed for this delivery.
But, this is my first pregnancy not followed by MFM. Part of me just wants one last try at a routine-ish delivery. Let him cook for as long as he wants.
What would you do in my shoes?
nectarine / 2433 posts
From all the moms I know and everything I've read, it does seem that the most successful deliveries happen when baby, and not the hospital, decide theyre ready. And you could have nothing going on in L&D and have it be super calm, and then BAM there's an emergency and there is no one around to really attend to you (this happened to me during my induction). It seems more likely that you'd have a difficult labor when induced as opposed to letting baby decide they want out ya know? That being said, my induction (at 40w2days with some major signs of impending labor) went really well (besides the fact like one person was there to help deliver lol bc they were short staffed). You know best though!
nectarine / 2262 posts
I went into natural labor with #1, but had an elective induction for #2. With #1 I had a pretty fast labor (6 hours from first twinge of anything to baby out, with an epidural "slowing things down") and I was already quite low and dilated, contracting like crazy and worried that I would have a baby on the side of the road or, worse, have it be the middle of the night and no one to come watch my other son when I went into labor because I might only have an hour or two.
So, we decided to do the induction so my mom could stay with my son and childcare was all handled. That was nice. They did start it at night which I didn't love, but my OB told me that I would get the Cervidil overnight, then about 4-5 am they would give me just a tiny bit of Pitocin and then I'd go on my own, have a baby in the morning, all is good.
Welllll.... I got the Cervidil about 10pm. Had a lot of cramping/ctx, walked around. Starting to get really painful. My water broke at 2:30am. Baby born at 3:30 am.
(Longer story: nurse finally agreed to call the anesthesiologist because I was having contractions on top of each other and awful pain. Anesthesiologist rolls in at like, 3:20. and I can hardly sit for the epidural needle, as he's putting it in, I'm telling the nurse I'm pushing, I'm pushing, I can't stop pushing! so as soon as the needle is in, no meds, they flip me over, see that I'm complete and baby is crowning, baby rockets out immediately)
So I'm glad I did it, but it sucked being in the middle of the night! I was super tired.
Edited to add: I was super super favorable for induction and that was the ONLY way I would have agreed to do it. Even with that, I really went back and forth until they day of on whether to be induced or just wait. Based on the speed of my labor, I'm pretty sure I would have gone naturally soon. I was 39w1d.
cantaloupe / 6085 posts
I was very hesitant to induce my third until the end, but I’m glad I did it. My first two were unmedicated spontaneous labors - both good experiences but both had a quick shoulder dystocia. Both a few days before due date. Third was a very smooth induction with no dystocia although she was basically the same size as my first (and 5ish days earlier). I was leaning that way because I was SO OVER pregnancy pain and worried about childcare and then I got shingles at 38w and wanted to die and was so ready for induction day.
I think mine went pretty close to my spontaneous labors except I was so over pain from the shingles I asked for the epi when it got serious (great call). I wanted to stay closer to my med free labors so we did cytotec in the AM - did nothing for me although I walked for hours having milder contractions - so she broke my water and that was it, labor went no problem from there. I really didn’t want pitocin unless really needed so if there are things you do/don’t want, I’d definitely ask - a third labor often won’t need tons of help.
coconut / 8079 posts
Not quite the same, but first delivery (vaginal) was traumatic, and I had my second as a csection at 39 weeks. It was so much better than the first delivery, despite all the unknowns.
persimmon / 1168 posts
@Ms. RV: I would let him cook if they let you! My 2nd baby was induced and I regret it. It sounds similar to your first two births, she did not tolerate the induction well, her heart rate was decelerating and I almost had an emergency c section. I ended up with a vacuum delivery in the OR. So many people have positive induction stories, but I would try for spontaneous labor unless it’s medically necessary. Wishing you the best whatever you decide
pear / 1930 posts
I completely forgot when I wrote this that one doctor in the practice is opposed to trying a posterior vaginal delivery, that if I presented posterior she would just do a c-section. I want to avoid a c-section at all costs. So doctor choice is another factor...
@pachamama: I know it is probably more of a matter of first vs second but my induction went so much more smoother than my natural... and about a quarter of the time.
@bhbee: Shingles while pregnant? I can't even imagine!!!
@jhd: Did they do the csection because of the first delivery, or because they knew he was going to need a hospital stay?
@magnolia: I wish I could just keep him in here forever. When he is hooked up to me I don't have to worry about his heart. I am actually pretty terrified of his birth either way because of that unknown.
pear / 1565 posts
Hard decision! I had a "mandatory" induction with my 1st due to GD, was induced at 39 weeks even though baby wasn't even big (in hindsight I wish they didn't). Because the induction took forever, and at one point her HR was so low I almost went in for an emergency c-section. My 2nd came at 37 weeks naturally and to me that was a much easier birth.
coconut / 8079 posts
@Ms. RV: the csection was because of shoulder distocia with my first mostly although the hospital stay and potential health complications played a role in the decision too, I’m sure.
pomegranate / 3966 posts
Both of my births were elective inductions, both 7 hours of labor. My 2nd I wanted to go naturally but by 39 weeks I was so over the 4 weeks of fake contractions I went for it. No regrets. Its so easy having everything planned out time-wise, especially with little ones at home. I went in at 6 am for both, delivery at 2, home by 4 the next day.
With both though, I was 3+ cm dilated, i think it makes a difference if your body is ready for it or not!
pomelo / 5257 posts
There's some positive data related to inducing at 39 weeks. The study was done on first time mothers, so not exactly the same. But it found that the women who were induced in the 39th week had a lower incidence of c-section than those who were not induced. Based on that info, and the fact that I was over being pregnant, lol, I asked my doctor about inducing in the 39th week for my second. She was all for it. My daughter ended up coming in the 38th week anyway, but my vote in your shoes would be to schedule an induction in the 39th week. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/induced-labor-39-weeks-may-reduce-likelihood-c-section-nih-study-suggests ETA: though I wasn't induced, I received pitocin in both of my labors, and both were super smooth and quick.
pear / 1930 posts
@MrsSCB: Thank you so much for that link!!! That makes me a little less nervous about being induced.
I just got a call from the doctor I saw yesterday and she said that two of the other five doctors agree with her that I should be induced (she didn't get responses from the other three).
But my normal 92/54 BP was 120/64 yesterday and 122/85 today. I have heard anecdotes that increasing BP is a sign that labor is near so this might be a moot point!
cherry / 136 posts
@Ms. RV: I had 2 inductions at 39 weeks, the first was not elective but went to well that I elected for the second. Baby 2 was sunnyside up which sucked but I still had a very straightforward and quick birth. Just get the epidural ASAP, I got it with my second right when they broke my water!
apricot / 286 posts
My second was induced for medical reasons at 38+6. It was amazing! So easy. So fast. If I ever convince my husband to go for a third I’ll definitely try to get my OB to let me have another induction!
pomegranate / 3355 posts
I was induced with both lo's and I would not do it again. Or at least i'd make them wait until my body and the babies were more ready. Both of my inductions took 2 days and they were not fun.. so boring and uncomfortable. But as stated I was not dilated at all and I do not think my body nor my babies were really "ready" so if you can wait until you are 1-3 cms dilated or at least showing signs that labor is close then i'd go for it! It does help with timing and coverage for your older lo's
grape / 81 posts
I had no idea that you can just ask to be induced!! I thought there had to be a medical reason? My friend is due with her second child around her first child's birthday and she said she would get induced so they don't share the same birthday. Seems wild to me! I am team let baby cook and come when its ready. I think it would be an easier labor that way too. But to each their own.
apricot / 322 posts
@MrsSCB: I read about this too and its fascinating! Sarah Lavonne has a good impartial review of the study up on YouTube -
pear / 1930 posts
@Ajsmommy: They have said they won't go through the induction if I am not a little dilated. I was 1/2cm dilated on Tuesday up from not at all a week before so they said as long as I don't go in the opposite direction I should be fine. I will be doing squats and bouncing on the exercise ball like crazy between now and then!
@honey786: I personally did not ask to be induced, my doctor suggested it to minimize potential issues with delivery. Anything that is not to protect the immediate health of mother or baby is considered elective, I believe. Like even with my son, it was considered elective, even though it was being done so the other hospital could be prepared for him because they weren't expecting him to be stable after birth. But had he had problems inside, then it wouldn't have been elective. 🤷♀️
@Clementine12: I'll watch this once I'm on wifi. Thanks!
persimmon / 1483 posts
@Ajsmommy: and @Ms. RV: That's what I just talked about with my doctor, too. My son had mild shoulder dystocia (30 seconds), and I went into labor spontaneously at 37 weeks. That plus having gestational diabetes means that we're talking about induction. We agreed that if I haven't gone into labor on my own by 38 weeks, she'll check to see if I'm dilated at all before we decide what to do. I feel like if I get induced and my body isn't ready, I might end up with a c-section. But if I wait and then there's an issue with shoulder dystocia again, I could end up with an emergency. I don't know what makes the most sense. Once I'm officially 37 weeks, I'll be trying all the tricks to get my body to go into labor on its own
clementine / 828 posts
I have had two easy inductions at 39 weeks (for my second and third deliveries) where I was dilated to maybe 1, although I was soft and having non-productive contractions pretty regularly. The first was 8 hours from starting pitocin and the second more like 6 hours.
persimmon / 1064 posts
I am team induction! When I was pregnant with my first I thought elective inductions were "selfish"...but guess what? If there's any time you should be allowed to be a little selfish, it's when you're pushing an entire human out of your lady bits. DS1 came spontaneously at 40+2--18 hour labor, presented sunny side up and only turned half way so basically came out facing a wall, failed epidural, really really really bad 2nd degree tear. I chose to be induced with DS2 at 40+2--went from 4 cm dilated to baby born within an hour, no time for an epidural, 3rd degree tear. After himming and hawing about a c section (my recoveries were awwwwful) for DS3, my doctor and I decided on an elective induction at 39 weeks. It was my easiest delivery, but I still tore.
FWIW, I will ask to be induced with this one, too! With all of your extenuating circumstances, I would get induced in a heartbeat if I were you...no hesitation or guilt whatsoever. Can't believe it's almost baby time! Eek!