Under our insurance plan, preventive care (one annual routine physical including routine labs) is 100% covered. My husband just saw a new doctor where they did the routine weight/height/blood and then also discussed his back pain. When the bill came, we were shocked to see that we were charged a co-pay and for the blood work. We disputed it and found out that he was charged for a "Preventative screening visit" AND and "office visit" for ONE appointment! (They had coded the blood work for the office visit which caused us to be charged, but corrected that).

So we get some letter of explanation regarding why they can do that, which basically said that if the doctor diagnosis a new chronic condition (such as his back pain) or writes a new or updates a prescription, they can charge for an office visit which may (will) result in a copay.

So I was pretty pissed about this, cause it has never happened to me before. I go for my annual physical, talk about problem, got prescriptions and it was always covered under the preventative care visit 100%. Until this year. I just went for my annual, got a new prescription for a rash and I was charge a separate visit requiring a copay!!

WTH!!? So... sorry this ended up so long, but I wanted to include all the detail. But I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else (especially those in Mass) and if this is some new thing??