I'm currently going back and forth between a VBAC and RCS. As of now, my plan is if I go into labor before my due date, I will try for a VBAC. I don't want to go past 40 weeks or be induced, so we are scheduling a RCS for around my due date. My question.... was anyone on the fence and end up going into labor on their own and have a VBAC? Any experiences are welcome! Thank you!
nectarine / 2317 posts
I'm planning for a rcs. But I've asked for a gentle/natural c section where you get immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping etc. It's not until sept so we'll see what actually happens but my midwife was supportive especially since the OB who did my emergency one last pregnancy does them.
blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts
With my second pregnancy, I tried for a VBAC and didn't go into labor and with my third pregnancy, I am scheduling a RCS, so I can't answer your specific question, but I wanted to say good luck with the decision and if you have any other questions about the experience or decision making process, I'm happy to help.
kiwi / 551 posts
I wasn't on the fence, I really wanted a VBAC and my doctor was very supportive. I had a membrane sweep at my 39 week appointment and I had the baby 2 days later. We were going to schedule an induction for my due date.
In the weeks leading up to my due date, I did a lot of stuff not necessarily to induce labor but to make my body ready when I went into labor. I drank red raspberry leaf tea, I ate papaya and pineapple, bounced on a exercise ball, sat on my son's kiddie chairs (as a supported "squat"), had a lot of sex and ate a famous salad in my area that is known to put women into labor. Mostly old wives tale stuff and no one thing "did it", except maybe the membrane sweep pushed me over, but I felt that my body was very prepared for a vaginal birth and I had the baby about 16 hours after labor started and 7 hours after I got to the hospital.
Also to note, my first c-section was an emergency c due to me having preeclampsia. I didn't have any issues with my first labor bc I didn't have one. My doctor felt I was an excellent candidate for a VBAC.
apricot / 288 posts
I decided to try for a VBAC and my dr said there was no reason not to give it until 41 weeks if I wanted. Other than being 3 cm for a while, I didn't go into labor on my own so she broke my water st 40+5. It induced labor within minutes and had a wonderful VBAC a few hours later. My advice, if you really want a VBAC don't be so rigid about the day. The majority of women don't have babies at the exact day when you turn 40 weeks so give yourself a chance to go into labor naturally. Also ask your OB if she will break your water or otherwise induce.
apricot / 488 posts
@BabyBruins: @shortcake: thanks for sharing your stories. I REALLY want a VBAC. I'm 32 weeks now. Im fine going past my due date but praying praying I don't go over too much. drinking all the red raspberry leaf tea and doing all the yoga!
apricot / 431 posts
@BabyBruins: @shortcake: Thanks for sharing your experiences! My OB will induce and suggested going to 41 weeks as I'm a good candidate for a vbac (DD was breech)....I have a lot of anxiety about bringing home a healthy baby due to prior loss, so that's why I don't feel comfortable going later than my due date (I know mostly everyone does, it's just my crazy mind!) Happy to read about successful VBACs.
@Mrs. Blue: So did your second end up being an RCS?
@justjules: Sending every positive thought for a successful VBAC for you!
@Banana330: Good luck with your RCS! My daughter was breech, so my csection was planned and I've never been in labor! I'm nervous my body won't handle it well and I will have an emergency csection.