Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2017 moms!

1. mrsmacSLP

apricot / 308 posts

@bubblegum: we've had our name picked since we found out the gender: Waylon.

My husband accidentally slipped (didn't even know he did) the name to his parents and his mom immediately hated it. Buuuuut she has to understand where I come from working with kids with disabilities. I can't name a child after a child I work with or know. It's too strange! My husband loved Axel and I immediately vetoed it as a speech therapist working with a child who can't pronounce the "k" sound it came out as "a$$hole" and said NOPE! We're keeping t a secret otherwise 😉

2. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@JennyPenny: Ugh, I'm sorry. Hope you pass! My issue with the glucose test is that I have awful veins and it takes them forever to get blood. When I had GD with my oldest and did the 3 hour, I think they stuck me literally 13 times because they could never get it with the first try (or sometimes second) 😫

@mrsmacSLP: I totally understand! I was a teacher for 5 years and DH is a teacher, so there are sooo many names we can't use!

3. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

Names made me think of it, but does anyone else's parents or ILs drive them nuts during pregnancy? I find my mom slightly difficult to manage normally but during pregnancy everything drives me nuts. Maybe its the hormones.

This past week we were talking about names and she kept asking if I was going to name baby 2 something really weird. And it's so odd because my son's name is James. Like really, you think I'm going to have James and Jaxertoni? (made up). But she kept asking about it.

And then she was holding a friends baby while my son was present and kept wondering if he'd show jealousy. She was super disappointed that he didn't. So weird. Its like she wants DS to freak out about having a new brother.

Again, both tiny examples from this past week but for some reason they super bug me. I'm probably crazy.

4. mrsmacSLP

apricot / 308 posts

@JennyPenny: ALL THE TIME. More my mother in law than my mom. My MIL keeps saying we can make all these trips after baby is here (they're selling their house 45 minutes away to move 5 hours away) and how much fun it'll be. I'm thinking, yeah, okay you can make those trips! I'm not toting a newborn and two labs in the car for 5 hours EACH way to see you. We didn't make the move, you did. Ugh, that one gets on my nerves.

My best friend played buffer at my wedding and she's playing buffer again when baby is here. My husband is really really good at protecting me but sometimes he misses the comments that set me off (mostly since she makes them when he isn't nearby).

5. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@mrsmacSLP: Ugh, that would bug me too. So crazy to expect you to want to make trips that long with a newborn! Maybe its not pregnancy hormones making us irritable but babies just bring out the most annoying features in relatives.

6. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@JennyPenny: Yup. My mom and I don't get along super well anyway (I love her, but I can only be around her for short periods of time because she overreacts to EVERYTHING...and if you disagree with her about anything, she takes it very personally). For example, she was VERY vocal last fall about me starting my then almost 3 year old in preschool. She thought it was ridiculous (read: she only had me go to preschool one year before K and my sister didn't go at all, so she was all sensitive about it). I have an education degree and taught pre-k for years, so I feel strongly about having him socialized, especially since he's either been with her or me (no daycare, etc.). She actually told me I wanted him in preschool because I'm lazy and wanted to "get rid of him for a few hours." Just little stuff like that and when I'm pregnant, it gets under my skin more than usual.

7. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@JennyPenny: my MIL is driving me crazy already. This could easily turn into a novel, but she lives on the other side of the country and really is super super type A and passive aggressive at the same time. She is having a hard time with the fact that I can't give her a set day that this child plans to arrive. So she has now booked an OPEN ENDED TICKET to my house.... and my DH isn't concerned about this cause he will just get up and go to work every day and leave me at home with his pacing, anxious, fidgety mother. I don't know what's worse - if the baby comes while she is here and I have to deal with her hovering while I recover from child birth or if I go late and she ends up staying for like a month while I'm 37, 38, 39, 40 weeks pregnant.

She's so anxious about this trip she has already mailed me special pillows for my guest bed to ensure that she gets a "good nights rest" while she is here since she is "particular" about her pillows. I wanted to write back and say ohh I'm sorry you don't sleep well at my house when you stay for weeks on end.... perhaps the Hilton down the street has better pillows?

Ok end rant. I wish DH would put a stop to the madness. Her anxiety is out of control already and it is January.

8. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

@mrsmacSLP: UGH!!! Yes keep the name under wraps!

9. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@lilteacherbee: I hear ya. I feel bad sometimes complaining about my mom because its not like she's a terrible mother and I still love her, but at the same time having conversations with her stresses me out immensely and so it makes me not really want to.

@psw27: omg that would drive me nuts! My mom lives 10 minutes away and I had to have a very serious discussion with her about the fact that she did not need to stay at my house when the baby was born. It was absolutely insane. I hope things work out that your MIL arrives sometime after the birth and you've had some time to yourself. But even then it sounds like it'll be stressful having her there

10. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@JennyPenny: nuts is the only way to describe it. She thinks she is "helpful" but honestly, she doesn't know how to relax so it is very challenging. The fact that I want to just sit and watch the Price is Right and zone out to the TV is bonkers to her. Plus last time I would ask her to let me nurse the baby and she would give him a bottle while I was in the shower. Ugh. As much as I want this baby to cook the whole time, part of me hopes he comes before she arrives so I do get a week of peace and quiet.

11. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@JennyPenny: Your mom stayed over?! See my mom is super duper chill and if she lived 10 minutes away she would definitely be like "bye, I'm going home to my bed!"

12. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@psw27: What!?!? That would make me livid! Its one thing to not agree with parenting choices (which my mom doesn't and makes known vocally) but another to completely disregard your requests! I'm so not confrontational though I wouldn't know how to handle it.

And no, my mom didn't stay over. She wanted to. She was talking about seeing if she could get family medical leave from work to take off and stay with me. She seemed very upset when I was like "I'm not sure we'll need all that much help, but if we do, its not like you're too far away..."

13. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

In positive news, just heard from the OB and I passed my glucose test, and I don't have HIV or syphilis, yay!

14. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@psw27: Man, I shouldn't have opened the rant about moms/MILs floodgate but your "helpful" in quotes made me think of something else. With DS, when my mom did come over, she would just hold him while he was happy. If he cried, or needed a diaper change, she would hand him right back. How is it helpful for you to just hold my content baby!?! My MIL on the other hand wouldn't let me change a diaper when she was over and would start randomly cleaning stuff while I nursed. *That* is helpful!

15. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@JennyPenny: Yeah, it was a challenging time. We also lived in a very, very small apartment and it was a long 2 weeks.... Oh well. I'm not confrontational either, but luckily she is even less than me so I just did what I wanted and she wouldn't say anything. I did a lot of nursing in my bedroom and not coming out for hours and hours and she wouldn't say or do anything.

Woohoo! So glad you passed your tests!

16. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@JennyPenny: haha I know, it is such a can of worms.... My MIL definitely can be helpful - cleaning and cooking and such. But in a way that makes it exhausting for me - like asking me about dinner at 8 am, where I keep things, what I use to clean this and that, etc. I dunno. I think I am just extremely self sufficient and it is hard for me to relinquish control. OR I just want you to make decisions and get sh*t done without asking.

She also used to panic if LO was crying to hard, or making weird refluxy noises. He was a NICU baby so I get it, he's tiny and fragile but relax.... She definitely was more of a hold him to snuggle and hand him back when he's sad kind of person. She's still like that with him as a toddler. If he gets too rambunctious or tantrums or is emotional, she shuts down.

17. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

My mom is amazingly chill with this pregnancy just like she was for DS pregnancy. I think my one MIL is excited because we weren't on speaking terms for my first pregnancy so she gets to experience this one.

I was a little taken off guard when my SIL reached out to me saying she is willing to watch DS while I give birth to DD (scheduled c-section) because her mom would likely wanna be at the hospital with us. I'm 100% fine with this because I wanna give her the chance to experience this but was kinda shocked she would want to spend the day waiting on DD considering it's a c-section and I can only have one person in the room, which will be DH. BUT I don't wanna take that from her and so I invited my mom too and that way she can have some company lol

Things like that WAY annoyed me with DS BUT now I get it. I figure give them the chance to share this moment because at least they're willing to help, because some grandparents don't. Thankfully MIL is super sweet about worrying about my feelings and it's not all about her son. To her and FIL, WE'RE her kids and she treats me as one. Considering there was drama in the pass, I'm thankful!

I can't speak on MIL #2 however lol. She drives me NUTS. She means will but goes overboard! lol

18. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

Little Miss Nova is wanting to come early. They are doing all they can to stop labor.

19. mrsmacSLP

apricot / 308 posts

@littleblessings: Nova stay put! Sending lots of love and prayers your way for that little girl and you!

20. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@littleblessings: Oh my goodness!! You're both in my thoughts and prayers

21. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@littleblessings: oh my! I hope both you and Nova stay safe and healthy no matter what happens!

22. MapleMoose

grapefruit / 4213 posts

@littleblessings: Sending positive thoughts and prayers that sweet baby Nova keeps cookin'!!

23. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@mrsmacSLP: @JennyPenny: @lilteacherbee: @MapleMoose: thank you ladies. They didn't get the contractions to stop entirely but they are more tolerable so I was sent home. They were every 4 minutes and are slowly spacing out more since I had two terbutaline shots

24. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@littleblessings: So glad to hear they were able to slow things down. Hopefully everything has stopped by now.

How's everyone doing in terms of stretch marks? With DS1 I only got a few and they faded pretty quickly, but I noticed this morning that they've turned pink/red again. I'm really hoping to avoid any new ones and was thinking that by staying smaller I had a good shot. Not so sure now though

25. justjules

apricot / 488 posts

@littleblessings: eek! I'm so glad things slowed down! How are you feeling?

26. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

@littleblessings: oh no!! How are you feeling now?

27. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@JennyPenny: things haven't stopped entirely but I was able to sleep.

@justjules: @bubblegum: I'm alright. I just woke up with a headache from the labor stopping medication which is a normal side effect.

28. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

@littleblessings: Are the contractions over?

29. ValentineMommy

pomelo / 5791 posts

@JennyPenny: My MIL always drives me crazy, lol. But yea, the things you listed would definitely get under my skin too! And congrats on passing the test!!!! Mine is on Friday, ugh, already dreading it! So far my stretch marks look the same. I got them all around my belly button with DS1, but not until something like 34 weeks - it was right near the end. With DS2, I didn't get any new ones, but some of the ends of the old ones turned pink, again, not until the 34ish week....they faded fast though.

@littleblessings: Holy moly! Glad things have slowed down! Did anything happen to start labor up? Are you doing too much or anything, or did it just happen?! Get some rest!

30. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@bubblegum: no but they are definitely farther apart and a lot less painful. As long as they are less painful and farther apart I'm allowed to stay home. I have an OB appointment tomorrow so I will talk to the dr then about next steps and such. I'm very worried about having the baby this soon.

31. ValentineMommy

pomelo / 5791 posts

@littleblessings: Were you dilating?? I had prodromal labor with DS2 for two weeks. It was....intense.

32. bubblegum

pear / 1717 posts

@littleblessings: Aww well I will keep you and Nova in my prayers! And please keep us as updated as you can.

33. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@ValentineMommy: I'm almost dilated to a 2
    @bubblegum: I will. I'm talking to the OB tomorrow about the shots that prevent labor when you've been prone to preterm labor.

34. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@littleblessings: Oh gosh! I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I hope they can slow everything down and she keeps cooking! Are you being put on full bed rest? I will be thinking of you. xo.

35. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@psw27: They said if this keeps happening they will keep me there for bedrest since I have two littles in my house.

36. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@littleblessings: Oh gosh. That would be hard. Do you have a lot of people around to help with the 2 LOs?

37. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@psw27: no I don't. I have someone set up for April when I am supposed to go into labor. Had no idea it would try starting so soon. They did do a swab test that says I don't have the protein to dilate my cervix so I guess that means I won't be delivering for at least two weeks since it came back negative.

I'm packing the LOs bag today and working on prepping Nova's stuff some more. It's all light activity I can do while sitting on my bed. No lifting or anything. Mostly sorting laundry. I'll be figuring out my stuff to take to the hospital too but I need to find my suitcase. Lol

38. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@littleblessings: Oh that's good about the swab, I had that done a few weeks ago when I wasn't feeling great/was having a lot of contractions and it was reassuring to hear that! Did they give you the steroids to help with Nova's lung development? I'm sorry you're going through this, what a stressful time.

39. MapleMoose

grapefruit / 4213 posts

@littleblessings: Yikes, I hope things slow down and labor doesn't progress. You must be stressed trying to scramble for potential care for your two kids. Sending more prayers!

40. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@littleblessings: yikes! That sounds so hard. Will they do that two-week test regularly from here on out? Seems like it'd be valuable information to have

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee