Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 Mamas

1. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

I've got a cold. Waaaaahhhhhhh!!! Just wanted to pass on a tip - Breathe Right Nasal Strips are AMAZING!!! I wish I could wear it to work without looking like a giant nerd.

2. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@lawbee11: I have the tiniest little bump ever too! I'm so excited to see MORE of it!

@msmay: YAY! So excited that you got into the birthing centre! That's awesome! I am pretty lucky that I have a couple hospitals that are about 10 - 15 mins away.

@Grace: Ugh! I had a cold during the christmas holidays and I LIVED in those breathe right strips. I have honestly written off all other cold remedies, because they are just so amazing. I really hope you start to feel better soon though.

I'm 11 weeks today! Getting soooo close to the end of this first trimester. I hope the time starts going by a little faster, because from 4 - 11 weeks, I feel went insanely slow. Can we get on with the bumps yet PLEEEEEASE??

3. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@.twist.: Seriously right on the bumps!! I'm starting to get a itty bitty lower abdomen pooch, but am ready to display a prominent bump bump. I'm sure once we do, and start getting uncomfortable, we'll be like where's my non-bump. haha! It's like being a kid and wanting to be an adult, then once you're an adult, all you want to be is a kid again. haha!

4. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: hahaha totally! I have the tiniest little abdomen pooch too, but nothing a stranger would ever noticed. I haven't been good at taking weekly photos because they just bum me out when I don't see a difference! I have to get on that though because before I know it I'll have a bump and will be pissed I didn't get the transition from no bump to bump!

5. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

So...when are you ladies planning to tell your boss/coworkers you are preggers? I am totally laboring over this right now.

I work for all men, who are great and I have great relationships with all of them but I do feel some limitations (like most women) being a working mom in a male dominant field. Anyways, I am an auditor so my job includes some travel (last year I traveled about 12 weeks, 8 of which was international) and these trips are usually planned out in advance - to balance resources. I almost broke down last week (at 8 weeks) and told my boss because I feel so guilty letting him plan out our year knowing for 3 months I'll be out.

The rational me won and I kept my mouth shut. Right now, I am planning to tell my immediate boss after my next appt (I'll be 11.5 weeks) - I had wanted to wait it out longer as I am close to being up for a promotion and dont want to screw that up but I think it'll become obvious when I travel for the first time and they notice I am not drinking...

...what are you all planning?

6. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: I'm an auditor too!! I plan on telling my boss today during our one-on-one meeting this afternoon as we are currently planning and budgeting for 2013. I'm 11w, 4d today.

7. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@Mrs D: I am going to try and hold off until 14ish weeks (I am a little over 10 weeks now), but I also have a desk job and don't have to worry about scheduling/travel or anything like that. I can totally see why you'd want to tell earlier, though.

8. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@.twist.: Hooray for being 11 weeks! I agree, the first trimester is going SOOOO slow! I think it's because I"m keeping the pregnancy a secret and I've already had about 30 social events where I had to pretend to drink or make up an excuse for not drinking. It's getting old fast and super annoying. I always though winter would be a great time to hide your pregnancy, but I was totally wrong!

To answer the question about telling work, I have been super paranoid about potential birth defects lately once I learned that down syndrome cannot be prevented and is 90% not genetic so I think I'll wait until I have been screened, as long as I'm not obviously showing. For me that will be at 14-15 weeks. I will have the results of the blood test and ultrasound at exactly 12 weeks, but I think I might do another test like CVS as well.

9. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Mrs D: I already told my work family. Told them really early actually, when I felt like I had to explain why I was being so unproductive in the afternoons (nausea and exhaustion).

As a side note, having to drink 32 fl oz in 15 minutes is so hard! I would feel like I had to puke even if I wasn't pregnant just from doing that. Appointment at 1:30 and my DH just txtd me that he's already there (35 minutes early).

10. Alivoo01

@StrawberryBee: That's so cute your hubby is so anxious for the appt! Have a great appt!!

11. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: why hello fellow auditor! I joked last year that I was going to get pregnant just so they couldnt send me back to India this year - now they are going to think I was serious! Seems like we're on the same timeline...are you nervous to tell your boss?! Let me know how it goes!

12. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Alivoo01: thanks! Yay everything looks good, there's a baby in there!

13. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: I think I'm going to tell them after my NT Scan. Which is next week. Eep! So soon. I just kind of want to get it over with.

@Modern Daisy: Oh, I have hated keeping this a secret over the holidays! I totally forgot that Christmas and New Years come with a lot of social events! Pain in the BUTT.

@StrawberryBee: Yay! So glad your appointment went well!!! Love hearing about healthy little babies!!!

14. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: Thanks!! I had some heart pounding moments where the tech made faces and I wasn't seeing anything baby-like on the screen, but then she showed us our baby and we got to see the fluttering heartbeat (150 beats), profile, spine, and an arm came up at one point with 5 fingers (which my DH counted really fast lol). Whew!!

15. Alivoo01

@StrawberryBee: Yay for an awesome appointment and getting to see the baby!!!

@Mrs D: So I just told my boss and he congratulated me on the news. He then proceeded to make a comment about how I chose a "great" time to be preggo since Texas gets up to 116+ in the summer time. I responded that sometimes, you just don't get to choose when you become pregnant! I'm just lucky that I am. I had to really hold my tongue from telling him about my previous loss. Any how, that was it! No further discussions. I announced it at the end of our one-on-one as a final note.

16. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: ugh! I'm so worried about the awkward comments. My boss is the king of awkward comments I just can't even imagine what kind of things I'll hear... *sigh*

17. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: So glad it went well! I have 2 weeks to prep for my tell all but its great to hear when others have a good experience! I feel like at the rate I am putting on lbs mine is going to be like "good, I thought you were just getting fat!"...ha

18. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

I think I'll tell before my next appointment. I'm feeling guilty for all the appointments and the non-productiveness (from MS).

19. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@Mrs D: I am NOT looking forward to telling my supervisor or anyone at work for that matter. She's 20 weeks right now and getting plenty of attention. I'd prefer the attention stay on her. I'm kind of the odd man out and it's going to be awkward having people ask me the same things they've been asking her for the past couple months.

My next appointment is in 2 weeks! I'm so nervous, I just want baby to have a nice, strong heartbeat!

@StrawberryBee: That sounds amazing!

20. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Ya'll....I may be about to cave and buy a doppler:

http://www.fetaldoppler.net/sonoline-b-pink.html

Its $54...I think it may be totally worth it...

What are you guys's thoughts?

21. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: I haven't done any research on them myself, and my one girlfriend had one after her miscarriage and she said it saved her a lot of grief. However, I have heard that excessive use of them can be detrimental to the baby! Don't quote me on that, it's just what I've heard. Like I said, it saved my girlfriend a LOT of stress with her first baby and she is a healthy little 3 year old!

22. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: I saw something about this not too long ago and it did spike an interest, but after the last appointment where the dr struggled to find the heartbeat (baby was fine after we got a sonogram instead), I think I'll pass. I'd go bonkers if I couldn't find the heartbeat, and would probably obssess using the doppler throughout the day. haha!

23. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs D: Heehee, I bought one a few weeks ago - it came up for sale on kijiji. So far, I've managed to find DH's heartbeat and some weird pulse that runs along my midline. It was only $40, so i don't feel too crazy. Oh, and it's apparently really hard to find before 12 weeks. Last time I tried was almost a week ago - I'll have to try again.

24. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@Mrs D: I started doing some research yesterday because I am SO TEMPTED to buy a doppler! I'm just scared that if I can't find a heartbeat I will panic to the extreme Frankly, I'm already nervous and I hate having to wait another 2 weeks to hear baby's heartbeat again! Thanks for the link, though- there's still a chance I'll cave.

25. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

EEEEEEP. Look what came in the mail todaaaaaaaaaay:

26. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@.twist.: exciting!!!!!!

27. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: @msmay: This is what I am afraid of! I'm going to hold off for a while longer! I am worried it may do more harm than good at this point!

@.twist.: Very nice...I know I have read about these somewhere but I clearly need to read more because I dont remember why they are so amazing! Ugh...so much reading to do!

28. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: I think mainly, they're a really great size, the fabric is soft and durable and they get softer with each wash. They're good for multiple uses like tummy time, nursing cover, car seat cover, stroller cover, burp cloths, and swaddling. The fabric is super breathable but also warm.

That's what I've read about them. Not to mention everyone I've talked to says they're worth it, even some of my most frugal friends said you won't regret spending the money on them!

29. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@Mrs D: I am not planning to buy a Doppler but only because if I did we'd be in the emergency room every time I couldn't find the heartbeat (which would probably be a lot!).

@.twist.: So exciting! And I love the prints you got!!

30. Alivoo01

@.twist.: That's so exciting!!! I love the prints you selected. I can't wait to start shopping for the baby and making it "more real"!

31. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Mrs D: my coworker just lent me her Doppler :). She had a miscarriage before a viable pregnancy, and she said this made her feel soooo much better. She didn't have a problem finding the heartbeat. I haven't tried it yet.

@.twist.: Aiden and anais blankets!!! *Ooohs and aaaahs appreciatively* :D. Can you feel a difference between the bamboo and regular? I had bamboo sheets for years and loved them.

32. mlm2934

grapefruit / 4311 posts

@.twist.: thread stalking and had to say that I'm in love with those swaddle cloths and they just went on my "to buy" list have you thought about buying crib sheets from them too?

33. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

Thanks ladies! I am sooooo excited about them. I got the star prints for the baby and the other ones are for me. haha I figured the baby wouldn't care what print was on them so I got some Mom-approved-non-baby printed ones.

@StrawberryBee: I can TOTALLY feel a difference between the bamboo and regular. They're both super soft, but the bamboo... it's like touching clouds.

@runnerd: I would totally consider buying bed sheets from them. I haven't decided if I will or not yet, I really don't think the baby will quite notice the difference between generic sheets & A+A Sheets, so if I did it would totally be for me and not the baby.

34. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: where'd you order those from? I've been trying to watch for good deals.

35. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@.twist.: LOVE them!!

Is anyone else dancing around social commitments for this summer yet? My cousin is getting married late July and my aunt is hounding me about whether or not I'm coming and if I need a hotel room. It's past my safe travel zone and it's a far enough drive where I'd have to spend the night so it's not looking good, but I haven't announced the pregnancy yet so I don't know what to say! Also my Mom is scheduling out our beach house for the summer and I want to make a case that my week start earlier in the summer, but I can't say why!

36. Ocean girl

kiwi / 637 posts

@Modern Daisy: I wish I also have a wedding this summer - my SIL is getting married late July and I'm standing for her. My EDD is late August. The wedding is a 11 hr drive away. Then, two weeks later my grandmother turns 90 and we are having a huge family reunion (not far from where the wedding is). I'm hoping to take 3 weeks of holidays consecutively and just stay home with my parents for that time (both events are near where I grew up). We will see how that goes over at work...

PS - cant wait to be 8 mths preggo standing as a bridesmaid in a hot church in July. Wearing chiffon.

37. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@Ocean girl: Oh wow, that's serious!! Have you announced the pregnancy yet to your family? Not that it would change whether or not you attend b/c I guess you're going to both events regardless? My cousins wedding will be a bummer to miss, but not a big deal at all. It's just the forcing to commit in January that's annoying me right now, can't we wait a couple months??

38. Alivoo01

@Modern Daisy: I'll be a bm in my BFF's wedding late May (I'll be 29 weeks) and we're planning on taking the hubby's parents to Vegas during July 4th since they've never been (I'll be 35 weeks). I'm not too worried about the wedding, but have some reserves about Vegas since I'll be so far along and it's flipping hot in Vegas! However, I'm also kind of looking forward to it because it'll be the last "vaca" we take before the LO arrives. I'll re-evaluate in June.

Could you use work as your excuse for not being able to tell them if you'll be able to make it to your cousin's wedding or not because that's typically "busy season". Same for the summer house - say work has you scheduled for a BIG project to start on X week and you'd prefer to go before the project starts?

39. Modern Daisy

grapefruit / 4187 posts

@Alivoo01: The Vegas trip would make me nervous too, especially since you probably have to book your flights ahead of time so backing out will be harder.

That's a really good idea of using work as an excuse for not being able to commit to the wedding, I hadn't thought of that. I already replied that I woudln't need a room and just didn't give an explanation but if I'm pressed, I'll just say i can't commit because I don't know if I'll be able to take the day off work.

40. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

This is making me want to start buying baby things!!!! DH and I are waiting to buy things until I least get to 13 wks. Still too nervous, but I'm jealous!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee