Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Pirouette: aghhhhh that would be pretty cute! heres hoping both our lil babies are timely for the pump, I have united and they also make you wait until 30 days before DD. I ordered it and paid for it and the company (McKesson) is going to send it out July 25.
    So much more I want to reply to ladies! But I'm on my tiny half broken phone. Have a great weekend everyone

2. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Pirouette: thanks for sharing about your maternity leave work situation! I was totally thinking along the lines of what you described. And I have so many family and friends in my neighborhood who want to help so I'm really looking forward to my maternity leave!!

@LCTBQE: that is so great you ordered your pump!! Which did you end up getting?

3. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: I got the medela freestyle ($195 extra, but I used our HSA card) on the recommendation of THOU and pwnstar and shootingstar and some of the other working mamas on this board. It sounded a little easier for commuting and more stable although i read the suction is a lil stronger on the PISA. With the options through my insurance the freestyle also came with some extra gear/shit that I would have had to buy for the pisa. What are you getting?

4. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Diaper bags continue to be bane of my existence. I don't carry bags usually- I have a work bag, obviously. But whenever possible I just carry my wallet and put my phone/keys in pockets. We have a petunia pickle bottom diaper bag which was fine with my daughter but it often got heavy and felt bulky.
    I'm planning to move into backpack territory, but a lot of the diaper bags backpacks look boxy and....kind of dorky to me, I guess (sorry if you have one of these!). We drive most places, so I would often just leave stuff in the car and go back as needed.

I'm going to ask for the bag for my birthday in October. I'm considering the Fjallraven Kanken Daypack, which had some Amazon reviews by people who loved it as a diaper bag.
    I also found this last night which has the advantage of being easier to organize, but is more expensive and leans into "boxy" territory: https://www.fawndesign.com/collections/bags/products/fawn-design-navy

Anyone have suggestions? I looked at Patagonia, but it's hard to know what would work without filling it up with all the diaper crap.

We cloth diaper, so that takes up more space. Usually I'd bring some extra prefolds, one extra cover, a small wet bag, disposable wipes, change of clothes, a thin blanket, and then my stuff (wallet, keys, phone). For my daughter when we go out I usually just need a water bottle and maybe a snack. Obviously this changes with weather, sunscreen and bug spray in the summer, extra layers in the winter, etc.
    So I think I pack relatively light.

Ideas?

5. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@LCTBQE: ah ok, empire won't even let you order until 30 days out! At least that's how it was for me last time, i should probably see if anything has changed. And how awesome is it you can pay the rest from the hsa! Im so loving the hsa this pregnancy, even though i was nervous about not knowing my costs. I love not paying out of pocket.

@agold: that is so great that you will have so much help! I'm further from my friends this time but closer to family, and im really looking forward to the help, especially since my husband wont be able to be home as much as he was with my first.

So my daughter just told me she cant wait to push her brother around in her doll stroller for naps... Hopefully when he's actually here she'll realize she needs to be a little more careful with him

6. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

Last time Blue Shield wouldn't let me have my breast pump until the baby was born, such crap!! We are in the middle of an insurance switch, does anyone happen to know what United Health Cares policy on pumps is??

Also I have a normal backpack that I just load up with baby stuff. I might get a backpack organizer insert now that we will have two kids. I love it so much more than a diaper bag, my hands are always free, and I feel more mobile and find it easier to chase after the kids.

Also I just ordered red raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil, in two weeks I am going all in!! Would be happy to have this kiddo two weeks early instead of two weeks late like last time.

7. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: I don't know what I will be getting. I'm getting new insurance (well.. same insurance just under my husband's name as opposed to under my name) on July 1st. As soon as that goes into effect, I will call to see what they will cover for me. I will want to get what they will cover, but if I have the option to throw in some extra cash to upgrade, then I will do what you did.

@Silva: I was considering a diaper back pack for a hot second. This is the one I was looking at:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ju-ju-be-bff-onyx-collection-diaper-bag/4353066?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK%20OUT

@Pirouette: Yes, it is so nice to be close to so many family and friends. That's great you will be closer to family this time around. Your family or your husband's family?

8. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@LCTBQE: I really need to get my act together and figure out the pump situation! I just like to avoid calling insurance at all costs so I've put it off...

@Pirouette: aww, sounds like your daughter is excited to be a big sister!

9. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@MrsBeluga: I think I started EPO and raspberry leaf tea at like 37 weeks last time. I forget when my practice recommends it. But I remember drinking that tea like it was my job the final weeks of pregnancy. Reminds me that I need a good pitcher to make iced tea in!

10. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Silva: I also dislike diaper bags. I think I'm going to either:
    1. get one of these State backpacks and the diaper bag insert that they sell along with it, so my husband won't mind carrying it, and so we can use it as just a backpack if need be:
    https://www.statebags.com/collections/all/products/bedford-b
    https://www.statebags.com/collections/all/products/degraw-nr
    Seems like there would be enough room for cloth diapers in there. The only thing that's missing is there's no nylon changing pad that comes with the diaper organizer, so I'll have to get the skip hop pronto pad too, or something.
    they have a nice mission where they donate a backpack for each one you buy (like Toms shoes or Warby Parker). OR
    2. get this thing
    https://www.lifeinplaycompany.com/collections/pre-order/products/soft_grey_totesavvy
    and use it with a plain canvas tote like this:
    http://baggu.com/products/7-02382-68478-5?variant=6936178049

@MrsBeluga: I just posted about United, above! they let you order it 30 days before your due date. can't believe you only have two weeks!

11. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Pirouette: so stupid about Empire and SO CUTE about your daughter
    @agold: oh right, I forgot you guys were both switching insurance really soon. most women I talked to either got the PISA for free or had to pay something for the freestyle. I only know one person with awesome insurance that got the freestyle for free.
    @MrsSCB: I did it at work one day when I was procrastinating on a project I didn't want to finish it wasn't so bad, I just had to make a few calls to my insurance, the supplier company, and my doctor (they wanted an Rx from my OB, I guess to confirm the due date).

12. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: Have you checked out the skip hop backpacks? http://www.skiphop.com/diaper-bags/by-style/backpacks

@Pirouette: That is so adorable! This morning H was saying sorry for something, am not sure what, and she went sorry mummy, sorry baby and rubbed my belly. Made me melt!

13. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@MrsBeluga: I have insurance that's part of United and can get my pump 30 days out! They're having me go through a supply company but there's lots of choices

14. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@Silva: I was just wondering if I could do red raspberry leaf tea as iced!

15. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@LCTBQE: I love those diaper bag inserts! Thanks for linking, I think I may get one to go in one of my gigantic purses!

16. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I mostly did last time- id make a pot at night and bring it in water bottles to work the next day

17. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: yes! I used to make it hot to brew it and then ice it down.

18. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@Silva: re: Patagonia bags...unfortunately not a back pack... I just bought a black hole messenger for one of my girlfriends and plan to do the same for myself.

19. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@agold: both! all of our parents are now within 20 minutes of us and are all super involved with our LO. so we're super lucky. It especially eases my mind that LO will get lots of attention even with a newborn in the house.

@MrsSCB: she's so excited to help! maybe too excited to help...she also says she's going to change all the poopy diapers, which could get quite messy

@LCTBQE: yea empire was terrible with the pump situation last time around. i didn't end up getting my pump until the end of my maternity leave! i'm hoping things run a little more smoothly these days!

20. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@AprilFool: awww that's so adorable are you absolutely dying to see your LO with her baby sibling? my heart melts just picturing it!

21. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Oops. You're all reminding me to think about the breast pump situation. I had called about a month back, and of course I can't remember when they said I was eligible -- maybe it's 1 month out? I hope it's not at delivery since that's silly! I'm also hoping I can pay to upgrade to a Freestyle since I already have an PISA. Would love more portability and a quieter machine. Dealing with insurance and medical supply companies, though....argh.

22. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: I hope you can upgrade. I love my freestyle. I don't think I have that choice though. Ours isn't available until two weeks prior.

23. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: No idea if I can choose. I'm totally willing to supplement with more $ if I can get that pump. I didn't love carrying around the PISA to and from work. I'd prob use the Freestyle at work and keep the PISA at home since I'd be pumping more often at work. Fingers crossed.

24. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Pirouette: Dying! I hope we can video it. I think she will be so excited until she realises it's here to stay

25. MRSWHIT1

pea / 15 posts

Had my 36 week appointment yesterday! She's head down and ready to go! Kinda starting to feel real now! 🙈🙈

26. T.H.O.U.

@MRSWHIT1: Exciting! If you want to post your due date and details I can add you to our list!

27. T.H.O.U.

Due dates as of 6/21

July 24: Thismustbetheplace (#2) - 35 w, 2 d
    July 25: APRILFOOL (#2) - 35 w, 1 d
    July 26: Umberto (#1 ) - 35 w, 0 d
    July 28: TeawithPaloma (#2) - 34 w, 5 d
    July 30: dcw6411 (#3 ) - 34 w, 3 d
    July 30: pregnantbee (#2 ) - 34 w, 3 d
    July 30: mossyslane (#2 ) - 34 w, 3 d
    July 31: AANDMKLOVER (#3 ) - 34 w, 2 d
    August 1: MrsBeluga (#2 ) - 34 w, 1 d
    August 2: coffeemom (#2 ) - 34 w, 0 d
    August 8: mrschickpea (#1 ) - 33 w, 1 d
    August 11: silva (#2 ) - 32 w, 5 d
    August 11: coopsmama (#3 ) - 32 w, 5 d
    August 13: glitter (#2 ) - 32 w, 3 d
    August 16: oldpuebloJenn (#2 ) - 32 w, 0 d
    August 16: MrsSCB (#1 ) - 32 w, 0 d
    August 16: T.H.O.U. (#3 ) - 32 w, 0 d
    August 17: KOALAHUGZ (#2 ) - 31 w, 6 d
    August 18: pwnstar (#2 ) - 31 w, 5 d
    August 19: stratosphere (#2 C/S 8/16) - 31 w, 4 d
    August 20: jojogirl (#2 ) - 31 w, 5 d
    August 22: shootingstar (#2 C/S 8/16) - 31 w, 1 d
    August 24: agold (#1 ) - 30 w, 6 d
    August 25: LCTBQE (#1 ) - 30 w, 5 d
    August 28: mrskerch (#1 ) - 30 w, 2 d
    August 29: clairhuxtable (#2 ) - 30 w, 1 d
    August 30: pirouette (#2 ) - 30 w, 0 d

28. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@AprilFool: hahaha! here to stay and can't really play with her for at least the first 6 months! it will be a total bummer for them

29. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

Question re: feet swelling unevenly.

Both of my feet are now consistently swollen, with the swelling increases as the day goes on. But my left foot is more swollen than my right. Does anyone know if this is normal? Does anyone else have uneven swelling?

30. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: I experienced that during my first pregnancy . . . my right would swell first, and then my left. And before they evened out, the right side would be dramatically more swollen than the left.

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: My left pretty much stays consistently more swollen than my right. Even in the morning, when I think they don't look really that swollen at all, my shoes tell me differently. Do you think this is something I should be concerned about, or can I just wait until my next appointment on the 30th to bring it up to my doctor?

32. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: By itself, I don't think it's cause for concern. I would not hesitate, however, to call your OB and at least talk to a nurse/have them make a note that you are experiencing this. I would make an effort to increase your water intake, elevate your feet when you can, and to get in a little cardio (if you have the energy). I would also take pictures so that you can show your OB the progression of the swelling throughout the day.

33. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: Good thought on taking pictures! I did mention the swelling to my OB at my appointment last week. But because my blood pressure is super low, they said its no concern. And yes regarding the cardio. I've actually only been doing quick 2 mile walks in the morning. Do you think that's sufficient some weeks I do 2-3 spin classes, and other weeks I do none because of acid reflux. And no walks this week because, umm, its like 111 degrees this week!

34. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: To the extent it can, I think any activity is going to help (nothing really helped my swelling), and that you should just do what you can (translation: don't push yourself to take spin classes if you don't feel up to it!). Other than that, I would just monitor it and report any changes to your OB, e.g., if you start experiencing pitting edema in your lower legs (when you push in on your leg and the dent from where you pushed in stays visible for a period of time instead of springing right back to a normal appearance), if other areas start to swell, etc.

35. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: Crap. I lifted up my jeans a little bit and dug my finger nail quickly into my leg and the indent from that is staying. Ugh. I hate this.

36. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: I'm having the same swelling situation, except my right is worse. I asked my dr and she isn't concerned b/c blood pressure is good, and no protein in urine. She said if I have pain behind my knee or in hamstring, then it's worth getting checked out, otherwise normal pregnancy symptom. Obv. I'm not a dr, an she's not your dr, but just passing along what she said.

37. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@agold: My left definitely swells more than my right, but I attribute it to an old injury I had in that ankle. It swells sometimes in excessive heat even when I'm not pregnant. Have you ever injured the one that swells more?

ETA: And yes, water, elevating your feet, and moving around make a huge difference. I'm trying to be better about getting up from my desk during the day (just got back from a walk with my coworkers!) I notice a major difference between the super busy days when I can't really get up much and the weekends when I'm out and about. My doc said sitting and standing are bad for swelling, but walking gets the blood flowing. I've found that to be true! I also set up a couple chairs in my office so I can sit with my feet up and just use my laptop.

38. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Thanks. Your thoughts do make me feel better. I just wanted to make sure no one else thought that I might be having a stroke tonight or something.

@MrsSCB: I can't think of a specific injury but I did play competitive soccer for nearly 10 years and I know I turned my ankle badly once or twice. Just not sure which ankle. And so I have a desk job and sit most of the day. So for sure, this is what's going on. Thanks for your thoughts.

39. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: maybe your left foot is larger than your right, so the swelling is more noticeable out of your shoe?

40. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Ha! That could very well be true.

Newest complaint - I don't have any close childless friends to come float and relax in a pool with me on 4th of July. My husband works. Would you all go in a pool by yourself while pregnant if no one was home?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee