Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Oh my goodness. Baby Girl is constantly moving. I don't remember this much movement with my son, and I have an anterior placenta this time! At 35 weeks. This is crazy. Ha!

2. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: I love when baby moves!! Let's me check off the "is baby still alive" worry box in my head.

As for food... I'm really going to just rely on my husband to feed me!! And pray his mom or mine bring us food. Does that sound like an okay game plan?

3. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@agold: That's my game plan. I can barely cook dinner let alone extra meals

@pregnantbee: Babe has turned posterior so I am feeling a lot of movement now and it hurts!

4. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Yes! One fewer thing to worry about.

My husband wants to try Blue Apron or another service like that. I'm all for it if it means I'M not cooking

@AprilFool: Ouch! How do you know baby is posterior?

5. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@pregnantbee: The chiro confirmed my suspicions this morning (she could feel limbs but no spine) but basically where I am feeling movement. Before it was only feet at the top of my belly but now I feel some hands down under my belly button. It makes me so nervous because my daughter flipped at this point and never flipped back.

6. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@AprilFool: My first LO was persistent posterior too (my OB was able to turn her during labor, but OMG that was painful, and it caused so many problems/delays during labor), and this baby is pretty much always posterior too. I keep trying to remind myself that a persistent posterior baby is pretty rare, and that chances are, the baby will turn on its own pre-labor or during labor. *fx*

@agold: I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't plan/rely on anyone making/bringing you food. We had family staying with us when I delivered LO, and nobody made/brought/sent us a damn thing food-wise. Sometimes grandparents are so wrapped up in becoming grandparents (and getting all their picture moments in) that they forget that you are recovering from a major event and might need to do something other than just let them hold the baby. Also, the labor/birth process is pretty exhausting for your DH too, so I would do a few freezer meals and/or plan to order out to give him a chance to catch his breath too.

7. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@pwnstar: agree. My mom is always good about sending up a meal or two but my Il would come over for dinner and not even offer to pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store.

8. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@T.H.O.U.: It absolutely blew my mind! I was admitted early Friday afternoon, and didn't get home until late Monday. Not only was there nothing prepared when I got home, my parents and ILs had the nerve to complain that they ran out of a few things while I was at the hospital (uhhhh, it was an UNPLANNED induction two weeks early), and nobody had the sense necessary to go to the grocery store that was literally two blocks away. I might still be just a wee bit pissed off about it.

9. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

Re: the food, I can't tag everyone because I'm on my phone and can't easily do so but I have to have my plan in order what with staying home with two toddlers (just turned 3 last week and 2 next month) and not having one in day care or preschool and then a newborn. Otherwise, on cluster feeding days, I know there won't be food unless I get take out or freezer meals from the store (which I will have some convenience items like chicken nuggets haha) and that's just not a healthy or long term option. Trying to have enough food to get us through September - my husband can help out a lot on weekends but during the week I am on my own so it needs to be done. Hence the lengthy list. I only prepped ten meals with our first and that was enough - more with the second, and now more with this baby.

@pwnstar: is absolutely right though, @agold: that it might be worth having some kind of game plan (even if just snacks or what not) for yourself -- especially if you are nursing!! It is so nice to have grab and go items on hand. Our families typically bring over one meal each for each baby and no one has ever brought muffins or snacks so we have always been left to our own devices after the first day or two home. I usually have 3-4 friends that drop off a really nice meal, too, which is wonderful but by the end of week one the free food has been over in my experience and so it's worth having something even if it's just running to Trader Joe's before baby comes and buying some yummy convenience items.

10. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@pwnstar: omg that is so rude!! I wouldn't be over it, either. Our families did something annoying with the last baby - they all came to our house immediately after we arrived from the hospital the first night we were home and then left to go out to dinner after seeing her. It was 6pm. No one said, "oh hey can we pick up some take out for you?" or anything - they just took off to go out to eat and we were left to pull out a freezer meal in order to feed ourselves (after the exhausting hospital stay) and our 13 month old. I always hate the initial visits from grandparents. My MIL always acts like our newborns are HERS and poses on the couch with them with her younger kids (she has a 7, 9, and 11 year old) and never ever takes pics of me with them. And then she splashes them all over Facebook. Drives me crazy.

11. T.H.O.U.

@coopsmama: Yes! It was the breakfast/lunch/snack thing that really threw me for a loop. DH could help with dinner still (he doesn't like a lot of freezer/crock pot meals) but during the day I didn't have time to make a sandwich!

12. T.H.O.U.

@coopsmama: And I'm going to have to be packing kindergarten lunches for the first time! So like you said, healthy muffins and such that I can grab and throw in will be key!

13. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@pregnantbee: i took my girl in the pool both days this weekend and it felt so nice being in the pool, even though i didn't actually swim. she felt weightless in my arms! (of course my back is a little sore this morning, so i think i carried her a little too much this weekend). also, i have found the anterior placenta to have zero effect on the amount of movement i'm feeling, which is surprising to me!

@agold: yup, that's my plan. let someone else worry about meals but i do intend to stock up on snacks and have some extra meat and stuff in the freezer. but everyone was helpful last time, and this time they are actually close by, so i figure we'll get by.

14. Aandmklover

kiwi / 506 posts

@coopsmama: that list is wonderful. Unfortunately we don't have Enough freezer room to make freezer meals. W shave a hard time keeping our everyday normal stuff frozen. My husband and j were just talking about getting a deep or upright freezer for that reason

DH plans on taking 2 weeks off when the baby comes so I'm depending on him those first few weeks. I'm sure I'll be eating a lot of grilled cheese 😂 With my second son we had a diaper and freeze party. If people wanted to bring a gift we asked it to be diapers or a freezer meal and for every one they brought they got entered into a raffle for a $25 target gift card. We got a few meals from that.

Speaking if my husband taking 2 weeks off, what are your husbands plan on taking off when the baby comes? I'm excited for his 2 weeks because I know he will keep the other two busy while I'm tending to the baby.

15. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@coopsmama: wow, you are so organized! That list looks amazing.

I'm terrible at planning meals in advance. My mom will be here for about a month after the baby comes, and luckily she loves to cook. I know my family will be wanting to eat in while they're in town, because it's already expensive for them to be staying so long, so during that time we should be in pretty good shape. Hopefully by the time they leave we'll have our act together enough to take care of our own food haha

@pregnantbee: my guy is moving so much, too, and I love it! I was just thinking the other day that I'm going to miss feeling that once he's born. Although sometimes I think it ends up making me more anxious, because if he's not moving at any given time I start worrying since he's practically constantly moving!

16. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@coopsmama: *augh* Sometimes I just don't even know wtf people are thinking. So inconsiderate! I just have to smh at it and to take mental notes so that if/when my kiddos have kiddos that I don't continue the cycle of insanity.

17. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Aandmklover: DH is taking 5 weeks off. He gets 2 for paternity leave and he'll take 3 weeks PTO.

18. T.H.O.U.

@coopsmama: Ok, so a few questions:

Does CP mean crock pot?

What are Lawnmower tacos? How do you pre-make/freeze tacos? My kids and I love quesadillas, I wonder if I couldn't pre-make and freeze them? If not I will do enchiladas.

Similarly, do you have a link for chicken fajitas in the crock pot? DH isn't a huge fan of chicken in the crock pot but maybe will all the veggies it would stay moist enough.

Meatloaf is another one we love and will sub for meatballs. Do you do anything special for baked spaghetti?

Cornbread muffins is a good suggestion to go with chili!

Cookie dough is a must for us! I usually do a HUGE batch and freeze half baked and half of the dough frozen. Im going to do a lactaction/oatmeal cookie recipe I have liked in the past.

19. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@Aandmklover: That's a good question...my H's work is weird, in that they aren't really told a set number of PTO days. It's more like he requests days off and his boss just says OK (or not, I guess). I actually find this annoying because I think this ends up with him taking fewer days off in general not knowing what the "limit" should be....but I digress. I think he should be able to be home for about two weeks, but might have to work from home some during the second. Luckily this baby happens to be timed really well (not on purpose!) and is coming during the least busy time of year for him.

20. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I'm so glad you asked about Lawnmower Tacos and whta (CP) means!

I'm guessing the frozen tacos are filling and shells separate? maybe all in one bag?

21. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

People can be so inconsiderate re: guests right after baby arrives. Ugh.

I may need some of your recipes, @coopsmama: if you're willing to share! I was also wondering what (CP) meant. Haha.

My husband will get 1 month of paternity leave, so he'll take that. Not sure if he will take any extra PTO on top of that. His company is weird in that they don't have official PTO to use. I'll be grateful for whatever time he does get. I think we'll also try to stagger grandparent visits so not too much overlaps with DH's leave. I think people will be more helpful that way.

22. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Yes, CP is crockpot but that's just an option - for some of them (unless the chicken specifically NEEDS to be shredded) I can also throw in oven for a shorter time. Because I am home most days I can cook in the crockpot and we don't deal with drying out issues because I can start it at noon and it's perfect for dinner.

Lawnmower tacos recipe can be found here: http://lifeasmom.com/freezer-cooking-with-ground-beef-and-turkey (and for @MrsKerch: too! :))

I will take a picture in a bit of the crockpot fajitas one. Mine have always stayed moist enough. You could also probably do Budget Byte's Baked Fajitas recipe and throw it into a freezer bag all prepped and then pull it out the night before you plan to serve and throw it in a 9x13 and bake as she directs.

Yes, muffins and cookies are a must for us along with rolls. I do all of our own baking from scratch and grind our own grains and I won't have time to do that for a few months after baby. I like having the cookie dough on hand for visitors, too, because we tend to get a lot after babies come and of course I always feel like I need to feed people if they are here for awhile.

Packing lunches is NOT gonna be fun in those initial weeks with a newborn to juggle. I don't envy you that at all. Do what you can to make it easy for yourself - even if it means loading up on convenience items! I know it depends entirely on what kind of baby you get, too. My first was SO needy and colicky and I could barely put him down for the first 3 months...while my second was content to do her thing and was a happy baby from day one. So I'm planning for the worst and expecting for the best. Worst case I will have an easy baby and will have itall together and will have made unnecessary preparations. But I never mind a break from cooking, anyways.

23. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@pregnantbee: Yes, I'm willing to share. I think I finally finished off my list. Now to put it all into action. I should have 10 meals in the freezer by mid-week so we will be 1/3 done. Hooray!

24. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@coopsmama: Oh, btw, totally understand your need to plan more with 2 young kids also at home. My son will still be going to school FT even when I'm on leave. I've been packing his lunches now, but I'm actually going to switch to paying for school lunch so I don't have to pack or worry about buying all the things for his lunch. I'm just super impressed with your organization!

Also, we currently do not have a freezer big enough for so many meals! As it is, I think we're going to buy a deep freezer for the garage b/c there's also no room for frozen breastmilk this time around, which is a necessity for this working mama.

25. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

I can't seem to find my hospital packing list from the first time around. Does anyone have a good base list to share so I don't have to start from scratch? Thanks!

26. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@AprilFool: @pwnstar: my dd was posterior and was born "sunny side up". Luckily her being posterior didn't stall labor, I labored for 20 hours, but progressed regularly. It did mean back labor, which was awful. I went natural, and spent a lot of time in water, until pushing. I was yelling about my back so much, that when I pushed her out, a nurse said "hows your back feel now" and it felt AMAZING- no pain for the first time in weeks! This babe is positioned spine out, so I'm hoping s/he stays put.

My mom just bought a ticket to return for the birth, a week before my due date, so I'll hope she'll help me do a last minute stock of the freezer. But I know she'll cook for us while she's here. My ils were very unhelpful with any food. Any visit they made, they came empty handed (except when they brought me a house plant. A houseplant is NOT a good gift for someone with a newborn) and never lifted a finger of help. Even bringing take out would have been welcomed.

27. T.H.O.U.

For anyone considering a second freezer - I would totally recommend it! Even if you have to grab a second hand one that you only use for the short term. We love ours and with freezer meals, extra groceries and all the BreastMilk, it was a life saver!

@coopsmama: Yes, I'm going to plan a costco trip to stock up on some snacks and things and get them all pre-packaged out. Hoping worst case I can just grab a bunch of mix and match things and she will be happy.

28. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I'm really hoping baby girl didn't turn posterior. I'll find out Fri. at my check up with u/s (at least I hope they can tell??). I just feel so many more limbs than I could even last week. Back labor sounds awful!

29. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: What size cubic feet would you recommend? Our garage isn't huge -- we're considering the kind that opens on top rather than front.

30. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: The downside to the "chest" style ones is that they are harder to organize and its a bigger risk that things get lost and freezer burned at the bottom. But they are a bit more energy efficient and probably take up less space.

Honestly I have no idea what size ours is, but its pretty big!

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Let me know if you end up trying out the Blue Apron service or anything else like that. And staggering grandparent visits seems like a great idea! My freezer is also small. Its just one of those side by side set ups. I really hope to be able to pump a ton of milk and store it up for when I go back to work. Feeding my baby is one may goal once she comes. My husband's goal is feeding me which he really equates to also feeding the baby.

@AprilFool: So glad I'm not the only one with that game plan! Cooking dinner isn't my best talent, either.

@pwnstar: Thanks, and no bubble bursted here. I will definitely plan for a few freezer things. I'm so sorry your parents and inlaws weren't very helpful to you when your first was born. Maybe they will be a little more helpful this time around.

@coopsmama: Its a bummer your inlaws weren't very considerate, either! And shoot... you grind your own grains?!? No wonder you need to do so much food prep! You are a Martha Stewart! And with some kiddos at home already that you already have full responsibility for feeding, I can imagine how great the need is to do any sort of food prep in general. You sound like you are right on track with everything!

@OldpuebloJenn: I'm so glad your mom is coming before the baby. I hope she helps you alot! I And I laughed out loud about the houseplant your ILs bought! What a dumb idea. People can be so clueless.

32. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: I don't even know what "posterior" means. Are you feeling the limbs poking out of your stomach, or more poking inwards towards you back?

Also, I second your request for a hospital bag checklist!

33. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: It means baby's back may be toward my back with limbs in front. That's the opposite of ideal for an easier labor/delivery.

34. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Oh shoot! I feel baby poking feet and stuff out all of the time! Or maybe I don't know. I don't really know what I feel. I hope she's not posterior!

35. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pregnantbee: I successfully flipped my daughter about 6x using yoga poses and help from my OB- but she was determined to be posterior!

36. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: After Fri, I may end up asking which exercises in case.....I thought her back was toward my right and feet/arms toward the left, but now I just feel limbs everywhere. It's nuts. I'm also aiming for no meds, so it would be helpful if her back is up!

37. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

Also- today can suck it. The onset of Heartburn AND Hemroids.

38. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: NOOOOOOOO.

39. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@pregnantbee: We have an upright one as well. I think it's like 13.8 cuft. It was less than $500 at Sears in January. One thing I highly recommend whether going upright or chest is to use bins to organize your stock. I use cheap, clear plastic shoebox style for like items (Chicken/Fish/Beef/Veggies) and plan to continue this method with breast milk storage (organized by date range) as well so I always know how much I have on hand at any given time.

Haven't started thinking about freezer meals but will likely do so soon.

40. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@MrsKerch: Excellent tips, thanks! I definitely had a system for frozen bm, but good idea about having one for food, too. We have a bottom freezer in our fridge, and I often forget about stuff at the very bottom.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee