Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms (and their kids)

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@MrsF: Oh, I don't think I realized how close in age M and Xander are! Are you as nervous as I am about kindergarten???

2. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@Adira: I think she is a bit older than he is. Her birthday is September 29 and we have a September 1 cutoff so she'll be almost 6 when she starts. I'm nervous and excited for her. She's also only ever been in preschool 3 days a week 9-1, so the schedule alone will be a big change for us all. I do think that the fact that she'll be one of the older kids makes it easier for me to wrap my mind around. Also, most of the kids in her old preschool class started K this year so I have those moms to reassure me and show me the ropes

In similar news, as of yesterday she is now missing her 2 front teeth so she looks like a big kid too!

3. Adira

@MrsF: Yeah, a tad older - Xander's birthday is the end of February. I'm not nervous about the schedule, since he's been in full-time daycare, but he's been in the same school since 12-weeks and has had the same friends since he was 2, so I'm crazy nervous about him starting a new school and having to make new friends!! I mostly feel sad he won't have any of his current friends with him.

4. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@MrsF: I saw that!! Feels like one moment we were all still talking about our kids teeth coming in, and before you know it, they're falling out!

5. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@snowjewelz: Right? We're all very excited that Molly has now lost 4 teeth and also excited that Charlie has 2 coming in - Jack keeps asking me how many teeth HE has. Poor kid wants some dental excitement himself

6. snowjewelz

@MrsF: Hahah poor J! I'd be so happy there's nothing going on with teeth!

7. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@mrsf: ah - i didn't realize M was already on the toothfairy train too K also lost her top 2 front teeth over the break. she accidentally swallowed one, and the other the toothfairy forgot to come (worst parents ever), so there has been some extra excitement. haha.

Kinder has been awesome for K, so hang in there upcoming kinder mamas

@snowjewelz: she'll potty train eventually! E is still doing pull-ups at night. we tried having her do underwear and just waking her up to pee, but she really started fighting us on it (and then peeing the bed) so screw that. i'll take whatever gets us the most sleep at this point, sooooo....

No 2018 weddings for us. That I know of

We've got a pretty normal amount of travel for us trying to get some trips in with the kids, visiting family, etc. Going skiing with the kids & grandparents later this month, skiing without kids (!!!) in March, and maybe visiting my parents in FL for spring break. My in-laws rented a place at the Jersey Shore (ugh, but whatever) in July, which I am zero excited about because it just happens to overlap with our 10y anniversary. But I think we are going to be able to sneak a trip in for that at the end of summer. So maybe 2 kid-free vacations in 2018? Sign me up!

Not much else new with us. Just riding the crazy 3-kid train all day every day. E has been a LOT better (behavior-wise) since turning 3, but still is my most difficult kid. Any advice on how to parent kids when you aren't really sure what fills their bucket? She doesn't seem to be much interested in solo time with DH and/or I, isn't big into gifts/treats (unless it's food...), etc. She's 3 and still kind of a mystery to me!

8. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MrsF: Awww toothless kids are my FAV, she lost them early, most of my 1st graders lose their 1st with me lol we make it a BIG deal!

9. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@KayKay: I get ya on pull ups for night, G isnt in them any more but wakes around 6:00/6:30 to pee most of the time and is up lol

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

We don't have anything on tap for 2018. My job future is uncertain in my opinion, so I'm not trying to plan anything that involves time off or money at this point.

My older has already gone through Kinder (1st grader!), so I can also attest that it's not that bad and everyone survives. Starting real school is an adjustment, we just did it a year earlier as she did real school for PreK (all day plus aftercare). It's exciting to see them grow.

The little one on the other hand, she's a spitfire and parrots her older sister all the time. She keeps me laughing and challenged.

11. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@KayKay: Molly swallowed the first tooth that she lost - she was SO upset. Aaaand the tooth fairy totally forgot to come here this week. She was up at 5am asking why the tooth fairy didn't come. Luckily we were able to tell her she hadn't come *yet* because it was still freaking dark out and then sneak into her room.

@FaithFertility: I was shocked she started losing teeth so early! I pretty much told her she was crazy when she told her her first tooth was loose at 4 years old

@snowjewelz: J is "potty trained", but far from perfect. He's been having a lot of accidents lately and needing a lot of reminding to use the bathroom. So anyway, she'll get there eventually and it might be a much faster transition than those kids that trained earlier!

12. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@mrsf: well, for future reference, there is totally a website that you can find with all sorts of info about the toothfairy (how fast she can fly, what she does with the teeth, can you keep your tooth, etc) that talks about how sometimes SO MANY kids lose a tooth on the same day that she can't make it to everyone's house that evening you know...just in case! haha

@faithfertility: my DH lost all of his super early, so we kinda expected it. but it's still surprising when it actually happens! she isn't 6 until august and is already down 4. E keeps feeling her own to make sure she doesn't have any loose ones - ha!

13. snowjewelz

@MamaG: Oh no, I hope everything is ok!

@MrsF: I am hoping for a fast/smooth transition once she is ready!

14. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

Hey everyone, Happy New Year!!

We have some fun stuff planned this year - mainly I am excited to move beyond the baby days and start sleeping again...and weaning....can't wait to have my body back!

We are going skiing for a week with my MIL in February (kids coming). In April we are doing a big family vaca with my parents/siblings to Turks & Caicos. I've also got two little getaways planned - one night with girlfriends in March and a long weekend with my mom and sister to Florida in March (hopefully).

This summer, hoping to get away to the lake for a few weeks (my MIL has a house on the water) and my parents just bought a house on Cape Cod, so I'm sure we'll go there for a week, too.

Ryan also continues to be my most challenging child - I feel like I'm starting to figure out better how to handle his moods and what makes him tick. Tyler's an easy read and a lot of fun. He is 5.7 and still has all of his teeth Grant is a doll baby, but night sleep has been horrendous, so I just started sleep training. He's almost 7 months and I can't believe it!

Already looking forward to the summer. We are buried in snow!!

15. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@KayKay: why did I think that K was 6 before Ty? I thought her bday was April!

16. snowjewelz

@winniebee: I feel you. It's 40 today and we're all like, woohoo, summer! lol!

17. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@winniebee: K is totally April! Mistype/sleep deprivation, I guess! Haha

18. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Just popping in to check in. It's been a rough month already. The flu has been horrible in our area. The numbers are ridiculous. K woke up with a fever a couple of weeks ago (101) and was nauseous. These are her classic signs of strep. Poor kid just can't escape it! My DH stayed with her and took her to the doctor that afternoon where they tested her for flu and strep and both were positive. Fortunately, it seemed to be mild. She had a low fever (never over 102) for two days and had some loss of appetite. She only wanted saltines and water. The rest of us have been spared so far. But just a fair warning, the liquid tamiflu is awful tasting and hard on the tummy.

Our whole family has had a junky cough we can't seem to get rid of but none of us has it bad enough that we want to risk going to the doctor where the people are more sick.

I've been nostalgic lately over all the photos coming up in my FB memories. And K is almost the same age now as C was when K was born. And it's crazy to me because well K just doesn't seem that old! I look at her and am often amazed at what she all knows and does due to C's influence but then in other regards I'm amazed to see what she doesn't know (C was writing her name at this age, K still can't recognize all the letters when shown to her or write any letters. C can color better but can only draw a circle). It's so hard not to compare, but I just keep reminding myself that they are different and seem to have offsetting accomplishments.

One thing I've been struggling with is concept of time with K. In her world all things in the past were yesterday (even things from 2 hours ago). And everything in the future is after nap. I don't recall this with C, but maybe I just wasn't as queued in.

How's everyone else fairing this January?

19. snowjewelz

@MamaG: I pray that all of you will stay healthy! I have been so anxious about the flu too! I feel like everyday I see another sad article about someone passing from the flu

I do the comparing thing too! K1 knows so much more at the same age so sometimes I feel bad wondering if I could have done more for K2. But then K2 is def more advanced in other things, probably from watching K1!

20. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: Prayers for health! Both kiddos have croup 😏😭 kill me now!

G is super smart, but doesn't know all her letters and isn't accurate on the ones she knows....but she starts preschool in Aug FINALLY so I think it will come more!
    I compare all the time! G had 2-3 word sentences at the age AJ is now and Aj is talking had about 10-15 words and many sounds which I know is great, but I still compare lol

21. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@MamaG: everything with K is yesterday, but it’s normally closer to several days or even weeks with her. She can’t write her name, or any letters, but is really good at recognizing them.

It do think a lot of it is a second child thing, since I’m constantly comparing J (who’s 15 months) to where K was then. It seems like she was able to do so, so much more than he can and it’s hard not to freak out a little about it all.

22. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Miss Ariel: Yep, Right there with you!!

23. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

What do you all do to teach letters? Lol I'm the teacher and I'm asking

24. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

DD also says yesterday for any past event. Even if it was six months ago. She tends to say after nap or after bedtime for future events. To help with how far away something is we count out how many nighttime sleeps - for some reason that helps.

She recognizes all uppercase letters and can say their sounds. At this point she is really struggling with lowercase letters - she probably knows half but is still hit or miss. She can write a "T", the first letter of her name but that's it.

She can recognize numbers 1-10. And can count to 29. Then she will argue that 20-10 comes next. Though if I say 30 she will continue on. Rinse and repeat.

@FaithFertility: we had large cut out letters we played with constantly around 2. Then got the leap frog fridge magnetic letter set. And watched the leapfrog letter factory movie. A lot. Now we just focus on pointing out letters everywhere we go.

25. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

Oh I keep meaning to ask this. At DD's three year visit. The doctors asked if she could draw a person and accurately trace basic shapes (circle, square, triangle). When I said no the doctor seemed slightly concerned. I've worked with kids before and that seemed a little advanced. Can your LO's do those things?

26. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@FaithFertility: dh actually started it, but every night before bed we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. At the end where they have the alphabet listed she’ll point to letters and ask what they stand for (m is for mommy, d is for daddy etc...) Basically after every night for several months it’s started to stick!

27. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Miss Ariel: ok we read that, I feel like since AJ I've dropped the ball a bit

28. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@catgirl: not at all! Basically she was on target for all of the doctor’s questions except coloring. She basically just scribble and can occasionally draw a circle, but that’s about it.

29. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@catgirl: G can trace and color well, her "spider" is on point but draw a person mmmmm not really

30. Adira

@MamaG: Ugh, sorry for the illnesses in your home!! Winter sucks.

@catgirl: Wow, that seems advanced to me?? Logan can draw a circle, but I don't know about the other shapes. And he definitely can't draw a person! We have our three year well visit on Friday, so I'm curious what we'll be asked. I totally forget what happened with Xander at this age.

31. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: G's is next week too!!!!

32. snowjewelz

@FaithFertility: Oh no! I knew they are sick but didn't know it's croup! Hope they all feel better! And preschool is gonna skyrocket her! I don't really stress the learning but I am always amazed at what she knows. But she can also write her name b/c it's literally just KARA so it's not exactly hard haha. I don't know what "curriculum" they follow but it's just a looooot of repetition and we just kind of reinforce at home.

@catgirl: It sucks that they can count so high b/c now she tells everyone how old me and DH are haha! K can draw a great face but body still needs work.

33. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

Thanks ladies! Makes me feel better. DD can free hand a circle but can't accurately trace one staying on the line. And she can't do a square or triangle. She can do a killer smiley face with hair but the body is just a blob. I was just so caught off guard when the doctor asked haha

34. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@snowjewelz: I think she will too!!!! Mrs.Lydia does so much with them, but it's not pre-school!!!!! Ummm writing het name is amazing even with Kara! Most Kinder kids still struggle!!!

Ughh I think being a teacher too I stress aloy about her behavior/academics 24/7

Need to relax and enjoy her more!

Yep, croup! Gross but they seem so much better today already from meds!

35. snowjewelz

@FaithFertility: I know at the beginning of preschool they did a lot of tracing with hand over hand and then slowly I see her just tracing herself without the hand over hand comment. Then lately it's like 2 of the letters are tracking and then there are like 3 blanks where it's free hand. And I know they work on 1 letter a month

I know my friend's kid's preschool they are learning Spanish too. It's crazy!

36. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@snowjewelz: Ok, she can trace great! So hard all these things lol

37. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@FaithFertility: you teach 1st right? What’s the reading level expectation for end of year? When do you refer for gifted?

38. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@snowjewelz: K learns some Spanish at her daycare. She counted with her Dad last night and then again for me at bedtime. She got to 15 on her own.

39. snowjewelz

@MamaG: Nice! We all learn Spanish from Dora currently

40. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: In my district there is no set reading level expectation a we do however look for sight word mastery of 130 words out of the 167 we teach and a level of reading fluency that is on level to what district says is mastery...I hate it!! Ex:standards say Read grade level text?!?! What does that mean?! We base it off of Oral reading fluency over 60 words per minute! With comprehension of what was read!
    We refer in K at my school since we have a gifted and advance program, I like to refer in 1st!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee