Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms (and their kids)

1. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@FaithFertility: we just did some oral reading fluency at home and she was in the 150 range. She also just did her mid year leveling assessment and hit M. She could read N books but couldn’t get the questions. Her teacher told me in the fall she was going to refer but i haven’t heard anything more.

2. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: That's awesome! I wish we did that A-Z system!
    I would ask again, I usually refer around this time!

3. AngelicOne

persimmon / 1050 posts

@FaithFertility: M just recently learned 99% of his ABC's. He has a magnetic bus on the fridge and does a weekly music class where they sing them. He doesn't allow us to sing (says no every time we try ). Hope the kids are better soon!

4. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@AngelicOne: Awesome, we have that bus, but with AJ I'm affraid pieces are too small! He still puts stuff in his mouth lol

She knows her ABCs and even breaks up ELEMENO ....LOL L,M,N,O,P lol

I need to focus on recognition more

5. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

Gosh I feel like a neglectful mom. Ryan I feel like barely knows anything LOL. He is working on writing his name at school but mostly just scribbles still. He can't draw anything. He recognizes some letters and numbers and knows all of his colors. I feel like letter and number recognition would be super early for age 3 - most likely not even something to be concerned about until age 5. I worked with Tyler on all of this stuff, but my time and attention is spread so thin between the three kids and work....I just rely on school for this stuff and focus on QT at home. Also, Ryan is still in the toddler program at the Montessori school - we could've pushed to move him up to preschool in January but I am trying to give him a chance to be the "big kid" and a leader. So, he'll move up in June at the end of the year when it is time for summer camps.

We are all doing pretty well, I'm just trying to find some balance to life. We tend to put the pedal to the medal on the weekends and my husband works so much that he doesn't exactly carry any mental load for our family so it's all on me. I feel like I'm spread so thinly and have considered quitting my job to stay home....but not sure that is the right approach, either. Just not sure.

6. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@winniebee: I hope you will find the right answer for your family that gives you peace! It's so hard to do it all. I so agree about the mental load. It's never ending!

7. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@winniebee: It is hard with 2 kids so I can't imagine with 3 little ones! This is actually why I'm more open to the idea of being done lately. And our kids wont' sleep so I get zero 'kid-free' time at night.

We're an a disadvantage b/c E won't get be in preschool until he's almost 5 - next year, we just can't make a 3 year program work with our jobs since they're not full-day programs.

E knows the alphabet and can count to thirteen I believe before he starts over. He is practicing letters on this preschool app I just downloaded for him, so even though 'I'm' not teaching him anything he is learning and its fun to watch. He knows colors and shapes. It really is amazing what they pick up on their own. Sounds like I need to start working on his name!

8. winniebee

Thanks ladies!

Ryan does know his ABCs and can count to 20 so I guess that's something?! It's hard not to compare the kids.

9. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@winniebee: Totally agree that it's hard not to compare! It doesn't help that I can't really REMEMBER how Xander was at this age. I just know how he is NOW and Logan's not at the same level!

10. snowjewelz

@winniebee: @Adira: I know. I am always watching videos of K1 when she's this age and going "what?! she already knows all this?!" and then desperate trying to teach K2 to no avail lol.

11. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: Kudos girl, I'm drowning with 2 at the moment.....sickness, work, weddings too.....so much!
    You are a rock star! But I understand 100% when You say you spread yourself thin!

12. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: @snowjewelz: I compare all day every day It's not a good habit lol

13. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

So I'm about 12 days late but just catching up with the activity here Now I'm stressed about Jack! M has always been pretty advanced and interested in this stuff, whereas J just wants to run and jump and play. I should probably put in an little more time with him working on letters, etc.

We've all been fighting bad colds and ear infections - ugh. Luckily no flu or strep yet, though I'm getting emails from M's preschool all the time about kids who have tested positive. C (8 months!) had a whole week of fevers this past week and has been just miserable He is only content in the carrier just napping on me on and off. At night he is hardly sleeping at all so DH and I are totally running on fumes. He's on day 3 of antibiotics for double ear infections so hopefully we'll see some improvement tonight!

14. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MrsF: I'm so sorry about all the sickness AJ has DEI as well horrible!

15. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MrsF: aww man That sounds so rough. We have all had bad colds this last week, too, which is hard at 38 weeks pregnant. Haha. I’m hoping I can kick it before this kiddo makes his arrival!

16. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@FaithFertility: I hope that AJ is feeling better! I think I was too busy / exhausted to reply when I saw your FB post but it sounded similar what Charlie has been going through

@theotherstark: Oh that's brutal! I hope you're feeling well in time for baby

17. snowjewelz

@theotherstark: Ahh, so close! I am so excited for you! Please keep us updated on the arrival of the newest babe!

I am seriously just crossing my fingers and praying that we survive this flu season. We're good so far, but it's only Feb!

18. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@MrsF: @FaithFertility: Double ear infections over here too! Poor kiddos, sounds like both of yours were worse than DD though, hope they're all feeling better soon!

@theotherstark: So exciting!! (minus the colds)

19. winniebee

@MrsF: that sounds just awful. so sorry!

We had a healthy month or so but big kids woke with nasty coughs today. Yuck!

20. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

A lot of you saw my panicked plea on FB. K's eye is healing fine. The irritation left from the bandaid actually makes it look worse.

But this kid... today she got tangled in my curling iron cord and has a second degree burn on her arm. We haven't been to the dr yet, but I did finally call since I realized its second degree and Dr Google is mixed on the opinion of needing medical care.

She's also got a ridiculous cough and we got the nebulizer out this weekend and did a couple of treatments. I'm not sure they helped.

Sorry for all the ear infections and sickness. It just sucks!

@theotherstark: you are so close, good luck!

21. winniebee

@MamaG: oh my goodness, she is on a roll! hope she is ok!

22. snowjewelz

@MamaG: Oh no! I hope that heals and she will feel better soon!

23. Adira

@MrsF: Sorry to hear about all the illnesses! Winter is the worst!!!

@MamaG: Poor kid! Hope she's okay!

Not much to report here. We've been battling a string of diaper rashes with Logan. He only poops in his diaper and only at nap or bedtime and won't tell us that he did it. I'm now trying to remember to actually go CHECK on him before I go to bed and change his diaper if he pooped. I wish he'd just poop on the potty, but that's a no go so far. He's been dealing with constipation, but JUST when I thought I had tweaked his diet enough to help with that, he got a stomach bug and lost weight and now our pediatrician wants us to load him up on the whole milk again, which is back to causing constipation again. I give up.

24. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

Man - I missed all of this! Whoops!

Sorry that everyone has been sick! We had family belly bug over MLK weekend, but have been relatively healthy (knock on wood) since then. I do a nanny share with another family for Ryan a couple days a week, and THEY have been super unhealthy (their 2yo in particular) which is a bummer bc I don't send Ryan if they are all sick.

Like everyone else has said, E definitely doesn't know the same stuff that K did at this age. She can't write her name yet (to be fair, it's longer!) and while she can draw a "person" (head with arms and legs, no body), it started later than K. But she is more advanced in other noticeable ways (knows all her letters and their sounds), and her teacher said he started presenting math work to her (Montessori...) even though they usually hold off until 4 and she just flies through it. Problem is that she is such a weirdo about needing control that it's impossible to tell when she is excited about something! She basically doesn't want to do anything you try to do with her/suggest to do....she has to initiate. Eyeroll.

@theotherstark: excited for you!

@mamag: ugh! hopefully she is getting it all over with now and you get a respite from the injuries soon!

@winniebee: i consider going BACK to work everytime i get a "jobs you might like" from LinkedIn and think about how nice that could be. But, truly, the grass is just always greener, I think!

25. winniebee

@KayKay: yeah, i mean, it's all hard. if I stayed home, we = couldn't afford to have a nanny for Grant anymore and I'm the type of mom that's no good 24/7 with my kids, so that wouldn't work so well for me either. i think i'm going to adjust my schedule when we are done having a nanny though - i'll work just 9-2 or something, so that i can have some carved out time for the kids/activities/workouts in the afternoons!

26. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@josina: man! All of these sick kiddos I hope she's feeling better soon...

@MamaG: Oh that's awful! These second children are way too daring. I hope you get good news from the doc.

@Adira: The poop stuff is always such a challenge. My kids have always dealt with constipation and that definitely complicates it as well! J just had a poop accident today

27. snowjewelz

@Adira: We're still no where with pee, so I'd say Logan's still doing better than Kara!

28. Adira

@MrsF: I'm kind of hoping I can just wait him out and he'll eventually just want to poop on the potty like everyone else does...

29. Adira

@snowjewelz: Oh, hahaha, I guess I feel better?? Although Logan seems to not care about peeing in the potty - he'll skip going potty right before bed and then immediately pee in his diaper, which is frustrating. He doesn't have any accidents during the day, but I think he'd rather just wear a diaper!

30. snowjewelz

@Adira: Yep Kara loves her diaper. At least once a week I'm like, you'll let mommy know when you're ready to stop wearing diapers right?!

31. Adira

@snowjewelz: haha, good luck!

32. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

Hitting?!?! Aj 15 months hits G all the time now 😣 just walks up and hits?!?!?! Poor girl! She is so good about it, but it's getting ridiculous!

I'm trying to show her the attention after he does it or put him off of my lap if he is with me?!?!
    Ughhhh.... #littlebro

33. Adira

@FaithFertility: We started timeouts once my kids turned 1. Hitting and kicking are automatic timeouts. Just one minute at that age, but they learn pretty quick not to do it.

34. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: Ok! I just don't think he would get it, but I can try ?!?!?! So diff from G!

35. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@faithfertility: so E was the hitter/biter/scratcher/headbutter extraordinaire for a long time with K. we did a lot of reading the books "hands are not for hitting" and "teeth are not for biting", and just tried to be very quick/blunt/short with E and give most of the focus and attention to K when it happened. i'm not a huge fan of timeouts, but obviously you could try those too! it sucks, honestly, because you end up having to watch them like a hawk to try to prevent, and they still manage to get away with it.

36. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@KayKay: I def say those things, just sucks they used to play so nice

37. Adira

@FaithFertility: I don't know that my kids totally understood it at first, but I think one is old enough to start timeouts for the big no-nos (hitting, kicking, biting). Those are automatic timeouts and we started them at one and so the kids definitely get it eventually.

38. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: So hard!

39. winniebee

@KayKay: @FaithFertility: yup, Ryan was also the aggressor for a loooong time and I remember it started around 18 months or so? Maybe a little later, can't totally remember. It was shocking to me because Ty was such a pacifist and never hit or bit as a toddler. It started with hair pulling and then progressed to squeezing and biting. I tried KayKay's approach mostly, but honestly after age 2.5, did start giving time outs because it was so flagrant! Now while they still can be very physical with each other, it is a lot better, and Ryan is often times NOT the aggressor.

40. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

How is everyone?! How did You all do with the snow storms?!

I'm on spring break and it is 40 tonight and low 70s lol WTH?!?!
    Thankfully we leave for our cruise Thursday!

Life is crazy busy during the week and being a teacher this year has been insane, I just rejoined my union and have been activley a part of some walk outs and such for gun laws and school safety after Parkland and my own code red experience last month, it was awful!

G is a saint in my eyes these days and just turning more and more into a big kid and she is such a cool kiddo!!

AJ is feisty and so much work...lol He is as sweet as can be but man if he is upset or mad You know it! I keep reminding myself he is 16 months and lives in a big world of No and You can't have that and such... It's hard for him! He wants everything sister has and if she gives it to him, he wants what she has next....rise repeat lol
    But man is he growing fast, he seems to say new words/phrases daily! So fun!

My best friend just suffered an ectopic pregnancy and I'm so sad for her! It was a surprise pregnancy and after the shock they were getting excited and a week later D&C, numbers still rising then emergeny surgery to remove tube she has been a mess, and my heart hurts for her!

Sorry for the huge post, I miss HB and now with a little time, I'm playing cath up!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee