Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2017 moms!

1. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@snowjewelz: No, but I did try 2 different sizes of them but DD seems to have trouble latching with it or they were both the wrong size. She can't get a seal around it and sucks a ton of air and milk all leaks out the bottom. It could be user error on my part too but I followed the instructions of dampening the edges for a seal and inverting it halfway to place over the nipple...

2. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

Bump

3. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@sunnyday: that is crazy!! so not what you want to deal with upon returning!

@IRunForFun: yea shields are weird... I bought a few to find my size. My first needed it for on the but this one didn't care for it and was able to latch anyway

4. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@snowjewelz: I'm from Canada as well so have 12 months maternity leave. I actually felt quite rejuvenated when first returning, it was like starting a new job but in a good way. Unfortunately I was quickly dragged down by the fact that my replacement had dropped the ball on almost everything. Hoping to have a better return this time around.

5. snowjewelz

@Peasinapod: I work for a very small company so usually my boss and my other counterpart just hustle... my boss has been delighted that both times I take maternity leave mid Dec - mid Mar b/c it's slower at work.

6. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

For those whose babes are a bit older, when did they start having more predictable alert/nap periods? DD is 17 days and I feel like she sleeps a lot during the day - maybe too much? I don't know if I should try waking her or keeping her awake? She will have a few alert periods, usually from like 8 to 8:45 am, somewhere between noon and 2, and then around like 7:30 or 8 pm. When she's awake we try to engage and interact with her, singing, talking, reading, tummy time, etc. I have no idea what I'm doing!! Does this sound normal for her age?

7. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@IRunForFun: at this age they shouldn't be awake more then 45-60 mins, including feeding. She is a month and I feel like she is just starting to stay awake a little more. Not just eat, sleep, eat, sleep all day.

8. babypugs

persimmon / 1101 posts

@IRunForFun: I feel so guilty when I'm not "engaging" enough because she's asleep all the time, but yep, perfectly normal! I can't wait for the babes to get a little older and start smiling and really interacting.

I hope we can all keep up with each other now that the babies are all here! Should we start a new babies thread or keep this one going?

9. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@IRunForFun: how is breastfeeding going? My lo was slow to regain her birthweight (Regained now at 17 days) went to see a lactation consultant today to have her weighed and they noticed she has a tongue tie and suggested if weight gain issues persisted I consider having it fixed. However besides being slow to regain birthweight (she was very big at birth though, and I had iv fluids) I've had no trouble breastfeeding so I'm weary to do something that may just cause more problems.

10. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Peasinapod: Nursing is still a huge struggle for us so ultimately fixing the tongue tie wasn't a cure all. She still can't get a good latch unless I literally have a lactation consultant putting her on the breast for me. Her mouth is just so small and she doesn't open wide enough. We are also battling thrush at the moment. I have open wounds on my nips. I will say having the TT revised allows her to stay on longer when she does latch. If you aren't having issues though I'd ask why they want to fix it. I've heard of it causing speech problems later in life, but I think those are pretty severe cases.

ETA: She did gain 1 lb 5 ozs in 2 weeks after revision. Was born at 6 lbs 13 oz, was down to 6 lbs 3 oz 5 days after birth, and is 7 lbs 8 oz at 18 days.

@babypugs: Yeah, I'm excited for more interaction too! Part of me also hopes once she's awake more during the day she'll do longer stretches at night. Right now she's only sleeping 90 mins to 2 hours. Rarely 3 hours.

11. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: K is 7 weeks today... She is def awake way more, but she takes her sweet time eating and burping so there isn't much time left after. But at the same time she has stayed awake past her "limit" just bc sometimes I have to fend to my other kid and can't get to her, or someone else tries and she won't really sleep till I come back to hold or nurse her.

@babypugs: I meant to start a new thread earlier but never got around to it! I'm ok either way!

@Peasinapod: you don't have any latching pains from the tongue tie either?

My 2 year old has been sick so I've been a mess! Like not showering for days mess hah. I feel really bad but this baby had been on no schedule these days.. Maybe that was why it took me 3 hrs to put her to sleep last night she has just been sleeping/eating whenever with not much awake time (awake time is more just fighting sleep)

12. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@snowjewelz: nope no pains at all. But it is a bit concerning with the slow weight gain.

My 2 year old was sick last week. I became extra stressed not wanting her to get my newborn sick. Luckily my husband is still home so he handled her and I handled the newborn .

13. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Peasinapod: Does LO stay latched long? They told me that a tongue tie can make the baby's tongue tired because it has to work so hard so they might not eat as much or efficiently.

14. snowjewelz

@Peasinapod: that's what we are doing too but my already mama's girl is extra clingy to me and I hate hearing her cry while hiding out in the bedroom with the baby!

15. Mrs. Toad

persimmon / 1095 posts

@IRunForFun: I'm sorry you're still having so much trouble breastfeeding. I'm doing much better though I get engorged at times. I have an oversupply and am block feeding to regulate.

@snowjewelz: @Peasinapod: My 2 year old woke up at 4 throwing up. I spent most of the morning in a chair with both of them sleeping on me. The good thing is that I think he is over it already. Hope your sick children get better quickly.

DD is gaining weight quickly. She had regained birth weight at 5 days. As of yesterday, she was up almost a pound at 11 days old. We have the 2 week check up tomorrow for me and her.

16. snowjewelz

@Mrs. Toad: wow, great job with the weight gain! It seems like the toddler doesn't have a bug then if it's just once? I'm dying for mine to get better lol. No daycare, cranky toddler, cranky DH and fussy baby all have me on edge

17. Mrs. Toad

persimmon / 1095 posts

@snowjewelz: I don't think so. I used to have 12 hour nausea as a teenager. Wake up, throw up a few times, be better by noon.

Hope she gets better soon. I wish I could send mine somewhere, but DH is a SAHD. We really need to find a preschool for him. He needs more interaction with kids his age.

18. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@IRunForFun: she doesn't pull off but she does fall asleep after a bit. But that's more when she's comfort nursing. With the lactation consultant I did see the tongue tie though, and it definitely looked severe, I'm just very hesistent to do anything about it if I can avoid it.

19. Smurfette

@Peasinapod: my LO has one too. So far it hasn't been an issue so we haven't done anything. It only hurts when she latches wrong.

I started putting her down to fall asleep on her own. It was taking almost an hour every night to get her asleep. It still takes a long time but at least I don't have to hold, rock, and pat her. If she starts to cry/fuss, I pick her up, and get her settled and put her back down. The downside is the stupid paci, she flips when it falls out. I get up a lot to put it back in till she is asleep asleep. But she is doing 4 hrs for the first stretch of the night. Then it is back to 2 or 3 hours. She is so grungy and noisy I really want her in her room so she doesn't wake me up all night. She has her one month appointment tomorrow(will be 5 weeks). I can't wait to see how much she weighs. Starting to out grow her newborn clothes. It is going so fast.

20. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: How is her gas/reflux issue? That's great you can get her down and she does a 4 hour stretch! I'm so jealous. DH swears that if I just leave her in the rock n play or bassinet when she's grunting and fussing a bit she will fall back to sleep but I don't have the patience/tolerance to listen to her so I pull her in bed with me. I still don't get a lot of sleep though b/c she's restless and grunts and makes a lot of noise. This weekend I might try sleeping in the spare room while DH has her sleep in the rock n play and just brings her to me to feed. I need to get her out of the habit of sleeping next to me!

21. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: her gas is getting better. Reflux is the same. Some days better, then last night I thought she was choking cause it was coming up and she was sucking on the paci. So we will see what the pedi says.
    And sleep in the guest room! You need a break from doing nights solo all the time. Try letting her fuss for a couple mins, you never know!

22. snowjewelz

@Smurfette: I know! We just left nb clothes! Ugh mine won't take a paci yet. It took my first a few months too.. So it's pretty hard for her to settle by herself! Really hoping she won't take me 3 hrs tonight.. At least I'm starting early!

@IRunForFun: I hope you get some sleep! I totally get it as a FTM tho... Mine now is noisy too but my tolerance for fussing got much higher haha!

Ugh I don't know if she has silent reflux.. She is fine when she is eating for real, but when she is nursing more for comfort she seems to choke and act fussy more frequently.

23. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@snowjewelz: I hate any type of choking sound! Sometimes my let down is too fast and LO pulls of spluttering and choking and it scares me every time.

DD is cluster feeding or something tonight. I think she has gas too because she's burping and spitting up and pulling off a lot and seems uncomfortable. I have gripe water I might try. Hope this doesn't mean we are in for a bad night!

24. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: I've been doing gripe water but not entirely sure whether it makes a difference lol!

25. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: I think gripe water and gas drops at night are helping my LO.

26. snowjewelz

@Smurfette: maybe I should get gas drops too

27. Smurfette

She weighs 8.12lbs, so almost 2lb gain in four weeks. Piggie piggie! The doctor looked at her diaper, it was more green and she was concerned about the dark spots. They tested it for blood and luckily it was negative. She doesn't think she has reflux just more general fussiness for the age but said to limit dairy and see if that would help. But to call if we notice she seems in pain after each feeding.
    She did a 5hr stretch last night after being so fussy( like both of us were crying) for over an hour. But I had to get up like 5 times and put that stupid paci back in her mouth. She drops it when she falls asleep and then wakes up after a sleep cycle and then wants it again. If we could keep it in her mouth I think things would be so much better.

28. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

Hiiiii. Checking in a hello.

My ILs flew in yesterday. So far, so good.

I need to check in a proper hello soon!!

29. snowjewelz

DD1 has flu... Day 6 of fever. I have not showered. That is all... Hoping she is in the mend this weekend or back to the dr we go!

Trying to keep DD2 away and nursing tons.

She has been doing a 4-5 hr first stretch! Great when our bed times sync up... But even if not it's nice to be able to do something else! It's reaaaally hard to put her down during the day

30. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@sunnyday: Hosting the ILs? Better youbthan me!

@snowjewelz: Oh no, you poor things!! I hope DD1 is better soon and everyone else stays healthy. 4 to 5 hr stretch sounds heavenly!!

31. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

I'm hoping we are making a little progress over here. Still have nasty crevices on my nipples but some feeds don't hurt or don't hurt as much so I'm taking that as a good sign. I also finally got her to sleep in the rock n play last night instead of in bed with me. I had to have it turned on and rocking, and had to shush and pat her a few times, but again...progress!

We are still not on any type of schedule at 3 weeks. I'm only now starting to notice/pay attention to her alert times and patterns. Typically she nurses around 7 am on and off for a while and has some awake time then, but goes back to sleep for 2ish hours, like 8 to 10. (And I go back to sleep too!) Then usually alert again around noon, 2, and 4 and then it's hit or miss. I try to do a "bedtime" feed around 8 where I'm in bed myself and then I want to be asleep by 9. She doesn't do much in the way of long stretches; I think 3.5 hours has been her longest. It's usually somewhere between 2 and 3 hours, although sometimes it's only an hour to 90 minutes! What drives me most crazy is when she only nurses a couple mins and then passes out and refuses to wake up and eat more. I know she isn't full but can't get her to keep nursing. That's usually when she'll wake up again in an hour. Haven't figured out how to troubleshoot that one yet...

32. babypugs

persimmon / 1101 posts

@Smurfette: Man, airy you guys are still struggling with gas and fussiness. The paci situation sounds so frustrating! My first never took one, and I never had to wean her off it. So far I haven't used one with DD2-- would you recommend it for soothing or skip it altogether?

@snowjewelz: Ohh no. So sorry. Hope she is better soon.

@sunnyday: Gulp! Do y'all have a good relationship?

33. Smurfette

@snowjewelz: oh no! I hope she feels better soon and you can shower!
    @IRunForFun: she will wake up soon and those feeds won't be an issue. We didn't get a 4 hr stretch till 4.5 weeks. We still don't always get one. Hang in there. Glad some feeds aren't hurting! We still don't have a schedule. I don't expect one till I go back to work. Right now I just feed when she is hungry.
    @babypugs: if she doesn't need the paci, don't do it! My LO1 never took one either. It does calm her down but so frustrating how it pops out and she freaks.

Last night was horrible. I wA crying, she was crying, I told DH I feel like a failure cause I can't get her to sleep. One week of trying to train her to sleep on her own and it isn't getting better. Now she won't even fall asleep nursing.

34. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: progress is GOOD!! Rooting for you and breastfeeding! And 3 week old's really don't have a schedule.. I think mine only stopped being so sleepy at about a month...? And some days she follow EASY and eat every 3 hrs, some days there is absolutely no rhyme or rthymn!

@babypugs: I kept trying to get DD1 to take one and she did later on. Currently DD2 doesn't take one either but I intend to keep trying bc I need them to soothe themselves!

@Smurfette: oh mama I feel you. K def still has huge chunks of the day where she just doesn't sleep and I am soooo over it. I'm not even asking to sleep but I just wanted to spend some time with my sick toddler!

I just took a shower, hallelujah! Both girls asleep by 8:30... DH had to pick up DD2 at one point when I was in the shower.

35. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: I'm so sorry. That sounds really hard, but you're NOT a failure. This is just a tough job and these babies are impossible to figure out! If only she could tell you the reason she isn't going to sleep. I hope tonight is a better night!!

36. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: I know I'm not. But at the same time, 2 babies that fight sleep so hard, I just wonder what I/we did wrong. My oldest still takes an hour to fall asleep even on no nap days. Meanwhile DH and I both love to sleep!
    That sad tonight was so much better. She actually just fell asleep in the RnP on her own. Handful of paci inserts and she slept 5 hours!

37. snowjewelz

@Smurfette: yay! My 2 yr old still takes a while to fall asleep for nap and bed time too!

So DD2 went to bed at 8:30... Needed 2 quick pick up's before 10 and then slept till 3:30!

Today I'm trying to put her down for naps instead of wearing her...

38. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: @snowjewelz: Oh man, glad you guys had good nights, but also sooooo jealous!! We had one of our worst nights. She wouldn't sleep in the rock n play, she would eat for 5 mins and either pass out or fuss and refuse the boob, then wake up again an hour later and repeat. Even when she was sleeping she was grunting and making straining noises like she was uncomfortable and it was keeping me up. Ugh. Soooo tired. I can't wait to get a more than 3 hour stretch! I literally haven't slept more than 3 hours in one go since 2 days before she was born.

39. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: do you try and wake her up? Get her naked? Wet a washcloth and rub on her neck? Hang in there! She will do a longer stretch soon.
    @snowjewelz: woot!

40. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: it's so hard the only thing I know now is that it won't be like that forever... But I know how frustrating those nights are!! I think when she gets a little older she will sleep better! Back when K was 3 weeks she was up for hours too.

@Smurfette: Well, I put her down and she will nap but only 30 min... So back to the wrap now. I guess at least I had 30 min to spend with DD1!

I gave away the swing bc the foot print was too big (I didn't have it with DD1, someone gave it to us). Now my SIL gave me her mamaroo, but K hasn't been a fan so far.. I wonder if she would have liked the swing better!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee