Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2017 moms!

1. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: I usually get up and change her diaper when she does that and hope the nakedness and cold wipe wake her up. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't! Haven't tried the wet washcloth! I think I could definitely try harder but sometimes I'm just so tired I don't want to fight her.

@snowjewelz: DD likes the swing OK. She'll hang out it in/nap it in for 30 mins to 2 hours during the day. She kind of has to be pretty well asleep already to stay in it tho. We got a Graco one that's supposed to have a small footprint and it still feels huge!

Well DD took 2 oz from a bottle with a preemie flow nipple from DH. I napped for about 90 mins. and pumped 2 oz when I got up. I really don't wanna get her too used to a bottle but I needed the break and sleep.

2. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

Bump

3. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@IRunForFun: you need the rest!! You really need to get that thing I posted about! I just made my 2nd 4oz bottle today without doing anything besides putting it on the other boob while nursing!

4. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@snowjewelz: Wow!!! Ugh so our credit cards were stolen (someone transferred $28,000 to pay off other cards!!!!) but as soon as my new one comes I need to order that!!

5. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@IRunForFun: with my first I didn't pump at all, but I am considering trying to pump a bit and have my husband give a bottle . Being responsible for all feedings can get exhausting....

@snowjewelz: and any other mamas with toddlers, how do you guys handle when the newborn constantly wants to nurse and keeping the toddler entertained? Next week is my husbands last week home and I'm starting to get nervous for the solo parenting!!

6. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: I hope I'm not hyping it up too much lol. But with my first I couldn't even fathom pumping on top of nursing on demand... And once I went back to work it was also hard to add on extra pumping (I wanted to sleep!) so getting a bottle a day without extra work is just amazing to me.

@Peasinapod: ugh it's so hard! Half the time if it's just me, I give in to the iPad but I make her sit next to me so we can talk about what she is doing. Sometimes I put YouTube on tv knowing she looses interest after a while anyway. I sometimes bust out small new toys (emphasis is SMALL) to "surprise" her... But can't do that constantly! Mine isn't great at independent play either but if I'm nursing at least I can somewhat participate...

7. Mrs. Toad

persimmon / 1095 posts

@snowjewelz: I'm scared of getting that. I already have an oversupply and am concerned that will make it worse.

@Peasinapod: My DS is actually good about independent play. I also read a lot of books while nursing. Unfortunately, he often has been throwing his books (and now toys) at us. He may not have any left in a few days. He also asks for food or drink just after I sit down to feed DD.

8. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@snowjewelz: Hope DD1 is on the mend soon!!! Keeping them separate is so hard!! That sleep stretch is amazing though, woo! Hope it lasts.

@IRunForFun: yes we are hosting!! They're the first ones to spend the night in the newly finished basement bedroom!! I didn't attempt any sort of schedule for babes until 4w, and we loosely follow EASY schedule, I wouldn't worry even at 4w, it will come soon!

@babypugs: I used to think I got IL lottery. Then DD1 happened. 2nd grandbaby and 1st one my SIL was very much accepting of MILs help and handed that baby to her every moment. I like to learn by doing, we had the baby, they didn't ask when to visit and flew in our first day home with her....for three weeks. I could write a novel about all the things that happened here, but they ended up leaving early and it's soured the relationship for life. She did the same thing with my other SIL, and to this day the SIL and BIL that live close rely on her and probably use and abuse her help, me and other SIL are more independent and needed her help less are treated totally differently. Bleh!!!

That being said, this visit has been amazing. I'm in bed right now, nursed at 6 and at 7 DH and baby woke and got up, MIL has her now. I walked the dog yesterday with DH at night time, so nice to have that time together. I love my Mom of course, but she can't settle the baby and I don't relax when she has the baby. My MIL is beyond amazing in that regard, so I totally trust when she does offer to push me out the door, which I now accept, lol. They fly home tonight....maybe. East Coast to be slammed with a storm.

9. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@babypugs: we use the paci. Have with all three now, but them cold turkey at/before a year. Figure if it calms those insane, hard to stomach fussy cries, then it's worth it.

@IRunForFun: omg on credit cards stolen!!!

@Peasinapod: this week is my last week with DS in daycare!! He will be 3 in May. I might check out Pinterest and make a special basket for him if I get desperate while nursing. We will see.

I have started pumping a little, as in three times total, and 11 ounces, lol!! I have plenty supply and didn't not want to worry about any more and so it's been totally random so far and just to relieve if she has done a stretch, or I'm feeling crazy full on one side.

I broke something on my pump the first try before I even used it though!!! So pissed, it's a narrow part that connects to the hose. I emailed pump company on Feb 2nd and followed up two days ago, no response. Just cause I know parts aren't going to be easy (or cheap) to ship to Canada, so was looking to know if there was anyone in Canada that sells their parts.

Ok....I better get up. Sleep in was such a treat, back to reality soon!!

10. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@sunnyday: what is it with ILs thinking they can just say we are coming this day and not asking? My ILs drove up for the birth of LO1 and then left the next day(Tuesday) and said we will back on Sat. I was pissed. I wanted it just the three of us for that weekend. It stressed me out to no end having them there. I think they knew it too. They left early on Sunday. This time they came up for the birth and again said were going to come back that weekend. But luckily they were predicting snow so they stayed home. Luckily too they haven't said a word about coming back to visit. DH has a strained relationship with his Dad, so it is just awkward. SMIL is nice but we just have nothing to talk about. They aren't helpful with the kids either, like would never change a diaper.

11. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@Smurfette: Yah I don't really get it, definitely a huge lesson learned assuming I get to be a MIL someday.

My view after I woke up, brekkie made and a dog that wanted me to share!!

12. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@sunnyday: Wow sounds like having the inlaws has been nice! Your breakfast looks delish!! Glad you got to sleep in and spend time with DH, too.

@Smurfette: My ILs have done that too! Visited the weekend after she was born and left and MIL was like, "We'll be back next weekend!" And then the following weekend she actually got out her pocket calendar and was pointing out dates she planned to visit. Ummm, thanks for asking?

So, I think we've made the decision to do more pumping and bottle feeding. I just can't do nursing the way I've been doing it anymore. She will only stay on a few mins and then fuss and fight until I give up. Then she wants to eat again in 30 to 60 mins. Plus my nipples won't heal. I need a break. I will keep putting her to the breast and letting her nurse for as long as she will and then top her off with a bottle if she needs it. I've got 5 oz in the fridge so far today.

13. snowjewelz

@Mrs. Toad: That I'm not so sure about... Since it's not actively sucking anything, it's really just capitalizing on the letdown so it can potentially relieve you on one side if you'r nursing on the other... Since the letdown happens either way?

@sunnyday: I'm glad you could take a break with your ILs here! I totally wish I live right next door to my mom lol.

DD1 is finally well... 6 days of fever was NOT fun! And now at least DD2 and I aren't banished into the bedroom to hide out!

She was up every 2-ish hours last night.. I'm about done with her bottles of gripe water and my gas drops and gerber soothing drops just got here. Which one to try first...

14. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: Great job! I think that's a pretty good scenario considering you were going to quit all together anyway! I have friends that exclusively pumped!

15. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@snowjewelz: Ha well so far today she won't take a bottle from me either, only DH. So when he's at work not sure how this plan will play out...

16. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: I think that is the best thing for you. You tried and gave it your all. I would have stopped weeks ago. I'm impressed you stuck it out this long. And that you are still going to try it and pump. She is so lucky to have you as her Mommy.

17. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: Aw thank you. That's super sweet of you to say!

18. babypugs

persimmon / 1101 posts

@sunnyday: ILs are so fun. I'm glad you got a little break though! My MIL is a dream--she stocked our fridge and pantry while we were inn the hospital and we've only just started having to buy food again. I'm constantly reminding myself how lucky I am to have good ILs!

@IRunForFun: You're doing great! Whatever makes your life a little bit easier is the right thing to do.

@snowjewelz: I just sent my husband got had drops! My LO hasn't pooped in about 5 days. She's having lots of wets and is gaining like a champ, so the ped isn't worried, but I am! She seems miserable with gas.

19. snowjewelz

@IRunForFun: yeah bottle is a whole other battle but don't worry, they will take one! I gotta start doing bottles too since I go back to work in a month!

20. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@IRunForFun: I hope the bottle starts working out for you. That sounds like a good plan, and as she gets bigger you might find nursing is much easier and you'll still have your supply from pumping!

I'm so nervous for lo's 4 week appointment... I'm worried she won't have gained enough. I've been nursing on demand so pretty much constantly during the day so even if she's gained well it's not going to be sustainable once my husband goes back to work. There's no pain and she's a very happy baby so I just don't understand what's going wrong with nursing.

21. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@babypugs: While I've heard it's "normal" for breastfed babies not too poop super often, I'm sorry your LO is struggling with gas!! I hope the drops help. We have gripe water but no gas drops; maybe I should grab some just in case!!

@snowjewelz: I finally did get her to take a 2 oz bottle from me earlier, so let's hope it continues!

@Peasinapod: When is the 4 week appt?

I've been pumping and we've been doing bottles all day and my nipples already feel a bit better. I've had 0 desire to put her to the boob. I don't think I realized just how bad it was. Hoping for a good night where she takes bottles and goes back down easily! We need to get more Dr. Brown's bottles. We have some Tommee Tippee, a Mam, and an Avent but she will only take the Dr. Brown's. Of course we only have 2 of those so there's lots of washing happening.

22. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@IRunForFun: the appointment is Wednesday, although 4 weeks is technically Friday. Maybe I will join you in pumping if she's not gaining enough.... everyone says being a second time mom is easier but I find I still second guess things!

23. littlecasita1122

persimmon / 1026 posts

Wanted to check in and say hi - things have been super crazy with the twins. What is everyone doing for room situations sleep wise? They were in a pack n play in our room for the first 6 weeks but we just moved them up to their cribs a couple nights ago. We don't have room to put two pack n plays in our room. We have a guest bed in the nursery so my husband and I take shifts sleeping in there but I'm kind of done with it already and just want to sleep in our own bed. And I miss my husband lol. The constant grunts from the twins wake me up despite the white noise machine. Anyone else not room sharing? I'm so paranoid this time around. With my older son he slept in a crib from the first night home, never room shared.

24. Smurfette

@littlecasita1122: she is still in our room but we will move her into her nursery within a couple weeks. She is noisy and wakes us up at night. The stupid paci ( having to walk across the house to replace it) is the only thing holding me back right now. I am going to try naps in her crib this week.

25. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Peasinapod: I hope you get good news on the weight gain!!

@littlecasita1122: I can't be of much help on the sleeping arrangements. She sleeps either in bed with me or rarely in the rock n play next to the bed. I'm looking forward to when I can get her sleeping more independently because she's a restless sleeper and grunts SO much that it wakes me up/keeps me awake.

Well I got to sleep last night, now that I'm pumping and doing bottles. I went to bed at 9 and told DH to wake me when he was ready to trade off but he never woke me! I woke up really engorged at 2, pumped 7 ounces, snuck out and stuck it in the fridge, and then went back to sleep until 7. 🙌 DH handled all the feeding and slept on the couch either with the baby in the swing or on his chest. Poor guy said he hardly got any sleep. He works second shift and doesn't go to work until 2 so I sent him to bed and will wake him up soon. I'm sure I won't get that much sleep again any time soon but it sure was nice!!

26. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: that's awesome you got some sleep. Good luck with doing bottles today!

27. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: Thanks! I think giving the bottles will be OK, the challenge now will be figuring out feeding and then when to pump. I'll need her to be asleep or at least contained elsewhere in order to pump!

When did you start giving your DD a pacifier? I had been avoiding it because of our bad latch and not wanting to make it worse but now that we are doing bottles I think I may offer one. She likes to suck her hand so maybe she'll like it. I'm kind of hoping it'll help her sleep better...

28. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: I know the feeling. I should be pumping once a day to build up a stash but when do I do it?
    We started right away. The hospital asked if it was ok when they took her to the nursery and we said yes.

29. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: We brought one to the hospital and I wanted to offer that first night when we struggled first so hard with her latch but all the staff and the LC were like "Noooo pacifiers are evil!" I wish I hadn't listened!!

30. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

Well I managed to feed her a 2.5 oz bottle and then pump 5 ozs while she hung out and did tummy time on the boppy. Hope the rest of the day goes as well!

31. Smurfette

@IRunForFun: that's awesome!

32. Smurfette

What is everyone's LO awake time? I'm getting really frustrated, during the day she eats, sleep, and repeats. Rarely awake more then an hour. After a 30 min cat nap, she now has been up for two hours. But won't go to sleep even though I know she is tired. I just can't figure it out. I also don't know how to avoid the last cat nap since she is so fussy I have to wear her while getting big sister to bed.

33. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: Ugh! Right there with you. Morning till late afternoon she eats and then sleeps long stretches, doesn't stay awake for long. Then late afternoon and into the evening she's awake for a long time and fussy. She won't go to sleep even though she's clearly tired. Today I fed her at 4 and she was awake till 6, slept in the Moby till 6:30, I fed her again, and she was awake and fussing till 8:45ish! It was so frustrating. I finally had to nurse her for the first time in 36 hours to get her down and now it's been less than an hour and she's stirring. So I clearly don't have any advice. But I commiserate.

34. Smurfette

Urg! Last night was bad. I only got sleep, 2-2.5 hrs (2 stretches) cause she was in bed with me. But not like I sleep good cause I worry about her being up against something and not breathing. She scoots so she is right next to me. I need a nap.

35. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@Smurfette: Oh man. So sorry! We had a similar night. She was a bear to get down and only stayed in the rock n play for an hour total. And even that time she wasn't deeply sleeping, she was restless and grunting. She only settles next to me. I did get a one hour nap in. I hope you got a nap!

36. snowjewelz

@littlecasita1122: I can imagine twins being crazy! How about the monitor set on low so you only hear if it's loud crying? We bedshared with DD1 till 2 and DD2 currently is in my bed too since DH is still in toddlers room.

@IRunForFun: I could never get my first to take 1 till at least after 3 months.. So far DD2 isn't taking one either (she is boob obsessed and makes a face when I shove a paci in). I'll keep trying! All the babies in NICU had paci's. I'm glad pumping is working out for you!!

@Smurfette: I guess mine is "older" so a little different. It's hard for her to deep sleep during the day now. So I either wear her, nurse her then hold her. She can be put down but it's a long process and then she still cries a few times before sleeping for a while. And she moves a ton and makes noise too.

Nights are unpredictable! Sometimes 4-5 hrs, one night up from 2-5, then normal 3 ish stretches... It's def still tummy issues that wakes her up. I started the probiotic drops yesterday... I'm just waiting for her 2 mo appt next week to see if she might have reflux.

37. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

My lo has actually *knock on wood* been sleeping okay. I think the noise and activity during the day from the toddler has helped her figure it out. That plus my first never slept so my standards for sleep are pretty low.

38. Smurfette

I tried the crib last night. She actually put herself to sleep! Only then would wake up when the paci fell out, like 30 mins max of sleep. I finally said screw it at 11. Didn't put it back in and settled her, fed her, held her till she was dead asleep, and she was up within 10 mins of me putting her down. So she slept with me all night cause it was midnight at this point. I am going to just keep trying it. She also by herself over the weekend so I know she can.

39. IRunForFun

pomelo / 5509 posts

@snowjewelz: Haha DD so far hasn't liked the Soothies brand at all. I bought some Mam newborn ones and she actually kept it in for a bit but not long enough to really soothe her or stay in while she slept. I'm going to keep trying!

@Peasinapod: Oooh hope your good sleep continues!

@Smurfette: That's promising she put herself to sleep in the crib! I hope she lengthens out the stretches she does there!!

We had another night of only sleeping in 60 to 90 minute stretches and sleeping in bed with me. Plus at 3 she woke to eat and then I pumped and she was just wide awake until like 5 am. Not crying or anything, just awake. Finally got her back to sleep and she woke at 6:20 to eat, and woke again at 7:20.

I think she likes sleeping on her side. When she's in bed with me she'll shift herself so she's on her side facing me and she settles best that way. I'm wondering if it'd be safe to roll some receiving blankets and put them under the sheet in the bassinet and then prop her on her side...

40. babypugs

persimmon / 1101 posts

@Peasinapod: I have sooo many packs of stickers, stamps, markers, paper, etc...that I only bring out during nursing sessions so it's special. Magnatiles and blocks are good too for keeping LO's attention, but my daughter is a little older (3) so that might make a difference.

@Smurfette: I have no clue! She's awake and grouchy for a while in the morning, sleeps a lot in the middle of the day, and is awake and grouchy in the evening. Nights are hit or miss. I try to engage her during awake time but she mostly just wails at me while I try to read to her or give her tummy time, ha!

@Peasinapod: Yeah, I'm with you, my first was such a bad sleeper even 1.5 to 2 hour stretches seem like a dream come true! I have zero complaints.

@Smurfette: That stinks that the night went south, but any time they put themself to sleep that's such awesome progress!!! And it bodes well for the future

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee