Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

2018 Weight Loss Support

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@looch: I'm trying not to eat any fruit yet since they tend to be higher in carbs. BUT maybe just for a break from eggs, having a slice of my low-carb toast with peanut butter would be a good option.

2. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@Truth Bombs: I hear you. I have to get back on my bike and spin. For me that's the most efficient exercise and it doesn't impact my knees as much as running. I just can't seem to find the motivation to start up again.

3. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Week #4...I'm down 7lbs total, but my weight loss is slowing...so time to switch it up! Adding workouts back in...and some dairy/carbs on my big workout days.

-Breakfasts: yogurt w/ granola OR peppers/sausage/egg bake.
    -Lunch: Lemon Chicken Arugula salad OR BBQ Ranch salad
    -Snack: Protein Shake
    -Dinner: Fish w/ roasted veggies

Workouts will be Body Boss Method (M/W/F), Yoga (Tues) and maybe jogging Thurs if weather permits. My new work has a gym, so I am planning to try to walk on the treadmill 3 days this week at lunch.

Hoping the added workouts and the alternative super strict then carb/dairy days keeps my body on its toes and results in a couple lbs! Take measurements tonight too.

One third of the way to my 20lb goal by March 31! That will have me at like 155...I have an end goal of 140lbs also...though I'll be ecstatic with anythin in the 140s!

4. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

Jumping in. I don’t have a specific weight loss goal, but a few pounds would be nice, especially around my tummy. I’m mostly trying to stay active and eat better. I typically do cardio 3-4 days a week (50-60 min). Lately it’s the elliptical. Usually I swim but our pool is being repaired for the next 2-3 months. I hate weight training and haven’t done it in years, but I’m wondering if I should add a little to my routine. Anyone have any basic suggestions to get started? Also, my main eating problem is the afternoon snack. I usually eat fairly healthy meals, but I sometimes overindulge a little in the afternoon and probably eat more than what I think I am eating. I WAH, so the kitchen is right there. I know I need to stop buying snacky stuff, but I’m in a rut for healthy snack ideas.

5. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@looch: If any gyms around you do Les Mills classes check them out (the YMCA usually does). The Les Mills SPRINT class is HIIT on a spin bike. It's so hard but so good!

6. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@lamariniere: The Body Boss challenge that some others have mentioned is a great option. It's a one time $50 purchase, but it's a 12 week program (16 if you decide to do the pre-training) of HIIT workouts. There are a lot of body weight strength moves as well as some with light weights. I did part of the program at home before I joined the Y and following their program of alternating HIIT work outs with cardio was definitely effective for me (I lost 20lbs working out at home before I joined the gym).

ETA: I'm a firm believer that strength training is really important to longer term success

7. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Truth Bombs: I’m looking at the website and see there is a whole jumping exercise section. I have a knee injury and can’t do much impact, which is why I normally swim. I wear a knee brace when I’m on the elliptical. Running is out (how I got the injury in the first place) and biking is probably out if it’s high intensity like spinning. Is the jumping part a big component of the program?

8. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@lamariniere: I do the Body Boss program and LOVE it. I see so much movement on the scale and inches when I commit.

There is a great FB community where you can ask questions for substitutions. I am sure you can sub something for any moves you find to be too difficult to you.

I opted for the Hard Copy and Web Based, so when I travel I can leave the book behind. Like TruthBombs says, its a great no gym option.

9. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs D: thanks for the info! That’s great that you’ve had such good results, and I love that you don’t have to go to a gym. I’ll look into it a bit more and see if it would be a good fit for me. I’ve already done therapy on my knee and it is better, but I know there are a number of things I shouldn’t do like impact and even things like lunges and squatting. I really have to be very careful.

10. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@lamariniere: Hmmmhh... there certainly is a fair amount of lunging and squatting so it might not be the best option for you

11. Adira

@Mrs D: @Truth Bombs: Are the Body Boss workouts really only 24 minutes??

12. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Adira: No...here is the break down:

Warm Up: 4Min
    Stretching: 6Min
    Workout: 7 min
    Break: 3Min
    Workout: 7Min
    Cool Down Stretch: 6Min
    Cool Down: 4Min

Total is 37 mins...its their biggest fib...that said...I usually dont take the full 6 mins both times to stretch...

These numbers are for the first 4 weeks of pre-train, then you add another 7 min cycle workout for the regular program, so that would be 47 mins total, 7 min cycle plus 3 min breather.

13. Adira

@Mrs D: Thanks! Maybe I should really just break out my Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 workouts - those really 30 minutes.

14. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@Mrs D: @Adira: yeah the lying on the timing is slightly infuriating.

15. Adira

@Truth Bombs: Yeah! I could definitely dedicate 24 minutes to working out, but 37+? That's not happening!

16. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@Adira: Yeah, I mean, I go to 1 hour classes at the gym that are from 5:15-6:15am. But it's so much harder to get motivated to get my butt out of bed for a home work out in the morning. And in the evenings, I definitely don't have the time to give. When I was doing Body Boss, I would usually leave work a little early, bang out a workout, and then go pick the kids up from school. But it's busier right now and harder to consistently leave the office early.

17. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Adira: I love JM videos!!!

I dont always get the warm up and cool downs in...or more often I do the warm up stretching with DD, then go do the 17 mins of intense workout...then come back up stairs and stretch. So I'm away for 17 mins...that way I can do it after DD2 goes to bed, but before DD1 does and still get time with her...

18. looch

Do you need weights or anything, for Body Boss?

19. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@looch: Yes, just light ones though.

20. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@looch: chair, light weights (soup cans or water bottles would work) and something to step on later on in the program. Pretty limited equipment requirements.

21. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

Ladies, my main area of struggle right now is snacking. What are your top 3 favorite healthy snacks?

22. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@lamariniere: I alternate between carrots + hummus and cherry tomatoes + cheese stick.

23. Adira

@lamariniere: I usually have some cheddar cheese. If you're good with portion control, popcorn's not a bad option either.

24. looch

Hard boiled eggs and pickles.
    Apple with nut butter.
    Cucumbers with Greek yogurt based tatziki.
    Fruit smoothie with tofu and chia seeds.

25. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@lamariniere: berries and yogurt, skinny latte, crackers with laughing cow, cheese stick or babybel, cherry tomatoes

26. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@lamariniere:

Morning: piece of fruit (apple, or some berries), scoop of almond butter, protein shake, some coconut chips.

Afternoon: Carrots, celery, grape tomatos, avocado on Mary's Gone crackers, pork rinds, jerky!

27. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

FYI ladies...if anyone has thought about Body Boss Method all their stuff is 25% off for the next 2 days using code STRONG25

28. looch

New Middle Number! I am stunned, I am officially under 150, which I haven't been since, oh, June of last year?

It has been super slow going, I am counting calories as opposed to a Weight Watchers style plan and I am really surprised that I was able to find the target calorie amount that worked. It took some tweaking and I even ate a few servings of ice cream, but now, I have to motivate for the exercise portion.

29. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@looch: Great job! I'd love a middle number of 5! Congrats on finding your sweet spot...

I just started my exercise portion this week...

30. gotkimchi

nectarine / 2400 posts

Down 2 lbs! Hoping to keep it going

31. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

I'm almost done with week 2 of 80 day obsession. I haven't weighed myself (I'm trying to wait until the end of phase 1) but I can already see the results in my body. My stomach is much flatter and my pants are fitting much better.

The nutrition plan is pretty strict and the workouts are tough but I love it so far! I'd definitely recommend it for anyone that has beachbody on demand.

32. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

I'm just on week 2 of Paleo. I think this was going to be the week I add in some working out, but I haven't done that yet. ooooh Weellll. There's always next week. Nothing new to report. My scale is not super reliable, but I think I've lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks, which is about what I go for. I eat a LOT, I just make sure it's minimally processed and Paleo.

I would love a new middle number, but as of this morning, I am 5.6 lbs away from a new middle number. Hah. So at my rate, it will be 5 weeks until I get that new middle number.

33. gotkimchi

nectarine / 2400 posts

@Anagram: I too am about 6lb from a new middle number and I CANT wait. Haven’t see that in awhile lol

34. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

I'm looking for some advice OR re-assurance.

I just wrapped up Whole30 for January. In the first three weeks I lost 4,2 and 1 lb - respectively. I was totally pleased with this. Week 4, I got my dreaded period AND started working out. Because of that, I shifted my eating a bit. All still healthy and WHOLE foods with the exception of 3/4 C good yogurt (Siggis Plain) 3 days that week.

My workouts have been 30 mins cardio (4 times a week), HIIT sessions (two 24 min ones, one 12 min one).

I accepted that week 4 may be a rough week, between starting my workouts and stupid period. But I have basically not lost anything for 2 weeks now. I did take measurements, and I know they will show ok numbers. But, I have easily another 20 lbs to lose, perhaps even 30. So I am a bit shocked it has stalled completely. I had hoped the increased workouts would help me move through a plateau more easily.

Any tricks for jump starting when you are in plateau phase? Or advise on how long your plateaus lasted for? I'm not going to give up - I just decided to stay the course for all of Feb. I am just perplexed...

35. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Mrs D: Do you know how many calories you're eating a day? I ask because even though you're eating good/whole/quality food (and whole foods generally require more energy to process), calories still matter. What you eat can help you retain muscle--shift the ratio of fat loss to muscle loss toward fat loss as much as possible while sparing as much muscle as possible--but how many calories you eat (and burn) is still part of that equation.

36. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@pwnstar: I wasnt tracking until I starting workout out two weeks ago. I usually come in at 1200 to 1400...I aim for the higher end the days I do double workouts. I have had days where I have struggled to get 1200 in - but I have never gone over 1400.

37. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Mrs D: In that case, I would start shifting your macros around (although I would set your minimum calories at 1400) to be weighted more heavily to protein (and slightly more to fats) and see how your body responds.

Eta: I would also measure out portions (weigh produce, etc.) to get a more accurate read on calorie intake.

38. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@looch: That's awesome! 4.5 more pounds until I can catch you!

My parents were here for a week and between their cooking, date nights, and hosting a baby shower I bumped up like 3 pounds but I've lost it all since Monday and I'm back on track. Plan is to be at 150 before Disney on 3/3 and then 140 before a beach trip (that includes professional family pics) on 4/28 and then I'll be done.

39. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@pwnstar: I do measure portions, now that I am tracking calories. But I'll see if I can shift my macros a bit. I tend to be 20 carbs, then either 50 fats/30 proteins or 40/40 fat and protein.

My struggle is that I eat a good bit during the day...and just am not hungry come night time. Most days I am drinking a protein shake at 7pm just to get in more calories. Not sure how to fix that!

40. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Mrs D: What are you using to track? MFP?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee