Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

2018 Weight Loss Support

1. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@gotkimchi: yes, I do weigh and measure. I find if I don't, I overestimate portions. I keep a scale, a set of spoons and measuring cups right by the stove so when i am cooking, I am not adding 1/4 cup of oil when i only need 2 tablespoons. My main issue in weight loss isn't the food I eat, it's that I eat too much of it!

For things with lower calories, like vegetables, I don't measure precisely. I have a bunch of grapes as a snack today that I will estimate as 2 cups, for example. If it were something else, I would weigh/ measure it.

2. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@gotkimchi: yup. I have $10 digital scale on my counter at home and even got one for my desk at work because I will overeat my desk snacks if I don’t! I bought a set of 6 tablespoons because it’s the measure I use the most and use them everywhere for everything as well.

It sounds tedious but it’s really just habit now and it makes meal prep really simple - I can just measure and bang out a meat and veg in my containers and have my lunches with macros all plotted out in advance.

3. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Truth Bombs: Congrats! Thats great!

@Eko: I definitely see progress!!!

So - I was down and out for nearly a whole week. I caught the flu last Tuesday, then Strep on Thursday...SWEET. Anyways - I de-railed a little bit but stuck to my calorie goals and luckily did not gain any weight back. So now back at it this week...

4. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs D: I totes understand. I started the month awesome at a new low weight, but then I got sick with the flavor of the month virus from the kids and everyone in the fam has been in a death spiral for almost 2 weeks. I have been sticking to my eating and workout plan, but whatever this is has caused me to go up 2.5lbs and I'm bloated and its so annoying. I know it will even out once the illness is over, but its aggravating because my period is due in like 10 days (during which I never count on for weight loss) and its a short month anyway, so its like ARGH.

Oh well. Life ain't always going to go plan, what can you do but carry on?

5. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Mrs D: Sorry that you are getting sick, but glad that you were able to maintain what you have lost. Life happens.

@gingerbebe: ugh. I hope your family stops getting sick soon! I hear you on the bloating. I think I started ovulating for the first time since having DS and I have gained weight too. Oh well. I know in the long run it works out.

6. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

So...just had my macros calculated. She is upping my calorie intake goal from 1300 to 1660 calories per day. Not sure how I am going to add 360 extra calories...AND she is setting my goal at 140g protein...

So I'm looking for any and all protein boosting feedback!? I am thinking I'll switch my morning cup of coffee to a coffee protein shake...and I could maybe put protein powder in my oatmeal some mornings...

Any other ideas greatly appreciated!

7. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@Mrs D: I try to eat a lot of protein (more like 100g) and I do protein shakes after workouts, eat a lot of chicken/ground turkey, egg whites, etc. I do plain, non-fat greek yogurt with berries for breakfast every day and it has a ton of protein.

8. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs D: Yeah IIFYM eating plans tend to be super high protein and low fat, so its definitely a switch up.

Roast turkey deli meat, meal prepping a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast (or buy the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken breast meat in the vacuum chubs at Costco), and having protein bars as a "dessert" are some ways to get lean protein in. Swapping out ground turkey for your ground beef recipes or using lean beef cut with beans. Nonfat greek yogurt, reduced fat string cheese, and lean meat sticks (Chomps from Trader Joe's are all natural and good).

I often get some espresso over ice and then dump in a carton of protein shake for breakfast. Premier Protein, Advantedge Carb Control, and the high protein Slim Fast shakes are all very few carbs and high in protein. I like the Kirkland brand protein bars and Powerbar Clean Whey bars because they use natural sweeteners and are fairly low carb at 4-5 net carbs a piece.

9. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

Oh, a dessert I have fairly often is a protein cake:

1 scoop Orgain chocolate fudge vegan protein powder (I think it makes a moister cake than whey protein)
    1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon coconut flour
    3T milk of some kind
    1 egg
    A little sweetener (I use a packet of stevia blend)
    1/4 tsp baking powder

I whisk it all together and scrape it into a small bowl and nuke it for 90 seconds. You can top it with some Halo Top, sugar free syrup, PB, or whipped cream if you like.

My macros on this recipe are:

210 calories
    11.7g fat
    10.4 total carbs, 4.1 net carbs
    18.3g protein

10. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Anyone want to calm my nerves on the calories? For reference, I weight 170 currently, and had been eating 1300 calories. She is upping me to 1660 calories...just seems like a lot for me...

11. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@gingerbebe: Orgain is my protein powder of choice right now! The nutritionist just recommended I pick up Quest Vanilla to add to things like oatmeal and pancakes to sneak in extra protein.

I'll need to find some bars....to add to it!

I also will be upping my Siggis intake...since it gets me 15-18g of protein per cup...

12. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs D: I also like using Isopure unflavored whey - its zero carb and I add it to lots of things in that way.

If you're into collagen protein powder, that is tasteless and mixes into hot or cold liquids. The collagen is definitely something you can dump into soups or sauces and you wouldn't really be able to tell anything is in there. Plus its good for your hair and skin. Great Lakes makes one that's pretty decently priced.

No offense, but it sounded like you were eating way too few calories before, especially if you're doing BodyBoss workouts. Those workouts easily burn a few hundred calories and that means you'd be eating below 1000 calories in a day. That would put you in starvation mode and your body would do everything it could to resist losing weight. IIFYM tends to try and amp up people's metabolism and build muscle so that you burn more calories naturally and that's typically done by increasing people's calories/protein levels so they can switch up their metabolism. I do not follow IIFYM, but I know many people that do and they all have a hard time at first with the whole "reverse dieting" idea, but most of them seem to have pretty good success with it, so I guess it must work!

Worst case scenario, you try it for a month and if its not working, go back to the coach and troubleshoot.

13. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@gingerbebe: I'll check that brand out! I have used collagen in the past, I added it to smoothies - you're right totally disappears. Good call!

And you will never offend me! You're probably right, even at the low end with 200+ calories burned I was close to dropping below 1300 calories.

14. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@Mrs D: 1300 also sounds really low to me. I was unintentionally losing weight at 135lbs and 1800 calories/day (aiming for maintenance now!). Upping calories should increase your energy and boost your metabolism. I also get better results (and more muscle definition) from workouts when I'm eating more.

15. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@Mrs D: In January I was 151lbs. Got my macros calculated through a coach like PP and mine were 175c/60f/120p (1720 calories). I'm down 11lbs since then. Trust the process! I love it so much.

16. Truth Bombs

grapefruit / 4321 posts

@Mrs D: Eating more will allow you to get through much harder and much more effective workouts. The increased protein will definitely fuel your body to be more active and the more active you can be, the higher your metabolism will remain throughout the day. So as long as you take those extra calories and put them to good use, you should see better results. I know you've been frustrated by being stalled lately, so you might as well try this and see if it's more effective than what you've been doing. And a balanced diet with significant protein is going to be much more healthy for your body and much more sustainable in the long run than super high fats or super low carbs, etc. I'm on slightly lower calories than you (which makes sense because I was about 155 when I had my macros calculated) and this is what a typical day of food looks like:

Premier Protein Shake right after my workout (160 calories and 30g of protein)
    Breakfast at work is usually a Grab The Gold Bar or Egg White bites from Starbucks (170-190 calories and 11-13g of protein)
    Lunch is a spinach salad with grilled chicken and strawberries. I use plain balsamic vinegar as my dressing. Most salad dressings are crazy high in calories and fat.
    Another premier protein shake when I get home with the kids. Or a more fun snack if my dinner has enough protein that I don't need more for the day.
    Dinner is usually HelloFresh. I always always log my dinner in MFP first, and then work the rest of my day around it since dinner is the hardest meal to be flexible on.

ETA: I also try to focus on drinking lots of water and I have 2 cups of hot green tea each day which helps combat water retention.

17. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Hi! I'm dipping my toes in here.i'm 5 weeks postpartum. I gained 40 lbs in pregnancy and the first twenty came off in the first week, and since then it's been 1-3 lbs a week since then. In terms of numbers, my max weight was 160, I am 137 right now, prepreg weight was 120, and pre-ANY kids was 115 - where I looked and felt my best (I got down to 110 back in 2011 and I felt weak.) I am 5'2". A healthy bmi range, if you believe in that, would be 104-131 for my height.

I joined dietbet, which I've used before, always successfully. I have 3 "bets" going on now, with weigh-ins next Tuesday, the Tuesday thereafter, and then 1x a month after that. I may join another bet so I have weigh-ins every other week, that way I'll be more accountable and maybe less yo-yoing. The money is a big motivator.

I am currently tandem nursing my toddler and newborn, so that's a challenge to eat the right amount. Both kids are gaining well and I have 60 oz in the freezer so I think supply is ok, and could take a dip, maybe. During pregnancy I ate honestly whatever I wanted, within reason. I don't restrict food groups bc I'm very picky, and I'm happy eating the same 10 foods all the time basically. My main approach to dieting is portion control, calorie counting, and limiting sweets. I take a prenatal vitamin, DHA, and vitamin D every day with dinner, and take vit C + iron or magnesium every other day with lunch. This is to make sure I get what I need for tandem nursing and is tailored to my lifestyle (vit D due to being indoors too much, iron for anemia, vit C for immunity and boost iron absorption, and magnesium for anxiety/sleep.)

My OB and I are pretty sure I developed a hernia and DR with my pregnancy so we're waiting for a bit more weight loss to see how things look and I might push for physical therapy or something. I know there are DR guides on the Internet but I feel like I need to work with a coach for a little while to really learn how to deal with it.

18. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@lawbee11: thanks! thats supper helpful to hear!

@Truth Bombs: Thank you for the example! I am a creature of habit so I have created 3 days to rotate through next week. Similar to you I will likely have 2 protein shakes a day or 1 shake and the powder of a second mixed in with something.

I'm of course going to give it the 3 weeks the trainer suggested. With the warmer weather here I am hoping I can also add an extra run or two to my week to help.

I'm excited for the new challenge...and hopeful for the results.

19. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Just wanted to update after 1 week of IIFYM...

I started a week ago (140g Protein & Carbs, 60g Fat, 1660 calories total) and so far so good.

I was flawless M-F, Saturday I was also spot on my Macros but we were at easter party #1 so my eating was a bit weird. Sunday was a bit of a shit show...I fell back to my old ways (we literally ate out every meal) so I just tried to eat as "clean" as possible, low carb, as I could since there was drinking involved which consumes lots o sugar. I had one drink...I had asked for champagne but she gave me a champagne mixed drink that was full of juice and sugar...boo! But anyways...

I weighed in today and am down 1lb for the week. Totally happy with this. I think I may actually be down 1.5-2lbs with a little bloat or something from the festivities this weekend.

How is everyone else doing?

20. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

I'm down 18lbs since the beginning of January, and I'm just taking it slow and easy. I'd like to get down another 7-8, but I'm not pressuring myself on a timeline.

21. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@tinyperson: Great Job!!! Whats been working? Slow and steady is definitely the way to go!

22. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@Mrs D: I'm really just tracking one meal a day and then making common sense choices for my other meals and snacks. More veggies, fewer baked goods/treats, fewer liquid calories. Nothing crazy

Good job on your loss and kudos on managing to get that much protein!!

23. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

How's everyone doing out there?!?!

24. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs D: Good. Perhaps we should start a new thread? Something for spring or getting ready for summer or something?

I hit my 40lb loss milestone at the beginning of the month and am currently 43lbs down since October, so I'm pretty pumped about that. I've been keto now for 6 months and its going great. Big news is that DH says he will be joining me in eating low carb soon, so we're trying to sorta eat or throw out whatever random carbs we have in the house that the kids can't or wont eat.

My kids are definitely not keto or low carb, but its been great overall for my family because they see me eating steak or eggs all the time and these kids who have literally refused to eat any kind of meat that wasn't minced or processed or sausage, suddenly LOVE steak and hard boiled eggs. And DS1 has taken to liking salami and other charcuterie, pickles, olives, even my meat sticks (I like the grassfed Chomps meat sticks at Trader Joe's). DS1 also likes plain steamed broccoli and asparagus now after he watched me eat it every night for months.

Overall, my weight loss pace has slowed down the last 2 months. October through January, I was losing about 8 pounds a month, but in February and March I've been at about 3.4-3.8 pounds lost. I'm totally fine with that pace.

I track everything I eat in My Fitness Pal and do treadmill workouts 3 times a week for about 30-40 minutes. I've started to do some light kettlebell workouts for beginners for my arms that I hope to do about 2 nights a week until I get stronger.

I have about 18-19 pounds to lose before I am out of the "overweight" BMI category, so I'm hoping to get there before my 1 year keto anniversary in October. Once I'm there, I'll be just 15 pounds to my goal weight!

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee