Like, say you begin induction with pitocin, and hours later progression has been well established (like you're dilating and contractions are coming at a good rate), can you then request they turn off your pitocin to allow your body the chance to take over on its own? (& it can always be turned back on if not)
Has anybody done this?
I never considered this idea before, but I recently read one page suggesting it. I'd like to give it a shot if all goes well, but part of me is worried the hospital will be against it?? Ideas?????
My induction is tomorrow morning!!
Some background: I'm 40 weeks tomorrow. Being induced because baby is measuring large.
I've been at 1cm for a week now. I had a cytotec (1/4 tablet) placed this morning to ripen my cervix (will see tomorrow if that did anything). This is my second baby.
nectarine / 2667 posts
I was induced at 41 weeks and, at a certain point, I asked for them to do something about the pitocin because the contractions were right on top of each other. They did turn it down, and things felt a lot more manageable, but i don't know if it ever was turned off. I'd ask your nurse when you check in tomorrow. Good luck!!
grapefruit / 4663 posts
I was told that while they'll turn Pitocin down they'll never turn it off completely just bc what if they do and then labor stalls? With my first induction they turned down the Pitocin when my contractions were on top of each other early in the process, later on we were told (I was in transition and didn't realize it) that was typical at that point of labor
papaya / 10343 posts
They didn't turn mine off but I started progressing really well so they turned it down to the lowest dose.
hostess / papaya / 10219 posts
I wasn't induced but they thought I wasn't progressing enough so they added a little pitocin and then I later had them stop it.
pear / 1593 posts
The next step in my induction was pitocin. They turned it on for about 10min, but when they updated the doctor on how well I was already progressing, she had them turn it off - not sure if that really counts though since I was barely on it?
cherry / 133 posts
My water broke on its own but labor wasn't progressing so they gave me some pitocin but after a few hours the nurses stopped the drip at the dr's suggestion. So it can happen!
pear / 1750 posts
I had an induction and they never turned the pitocin off as far as I know. I do remember the nurses kept increasing the infusion rate. It started at 2 (can't recall the unit of measurement). They told me they could go up to 20 as needed or beyond that if the dr ordered it. Sure enough, I ended up at 18 before I was ready to push. I started out 4cm dilated on my own:
grapefruit / 4110 posts
I had them take it out during transition because I wanted to be in the bathroom and didn't want to take it with me. No problem birthing the baby but did hemorrhage and couldn't get the pit in to stop it because the iv had some issues after stopping.
pea / 19 posts
How large is your baby measuring?
I've had pitocin as well with 2 of my babies and they never stopped it even though they said they were using it just to "help" my already in process labour. I was dilating too slow for them I guess. I wish they would give you the option to stop it if your contractions are well established.
pear / 1632 posts
My body took over contractions and the pitocin wAs turned off at that point. The events following that we're unpredictable. I labored on my own for hours after that and could never vaginally deliver my son so ended with a c section.
clementine / 812 posts
@Stephag4: I wasn't induced but received Pitocin after my labor stalled. It was just the kickstart my body needed. At one point, my contractions were on top of each other, so they turned it off.
wonderful grape / 20453 posts
My dr said we'd see how I was responding in regards to the pitocin, and said I may not need it past a certain point, but once I got an epidural, it didn't matter since I couldn't feel it.
pea / 10 posts
Thanks for all the replies, ladies!!
My babe was measuring around 8.5lbs just before 38 weeks. I am not sure what he is measuring currently.
I will definitely be asking my ob about my pitocin concerns; I will let you all know if I'm able to have the pit stopped and let labor go on its own!
Although I'm being induced, which subsequently means constant monitoring, I am going to do my best to labor out of the bed.
With my first (also induced), they broke my waters only an hour into induction, and I remember not leaving the bed because the monitors moved easily. This time I am not letting them break my water until I'm at or near a minimum of 5cm, and I will try harder to be up and out of bed. Being stuck on your back is a horrible way to labor, I remember that very distinctly
However, I'm surprisingly calm this morning; I even got some sleep last night! Wish us luck
persimmon / 1367 posts
I had a few doses of cytotec, and then pitocin. After all afternoon on pitocin with nothing happening, they turned it off at about 10pm so I could sleep and decided to decide in the morning about a c-section (this was day 3 of labor, day 2 of an induction for low amniotic fluid). Labor kicked in full force at 1 am, three hours after the pitocin was turned off!