Does anyone use carseat protectors on cloth seats?

I have seen some that look like they cover the butt part of the seat only, and others that go all the way up the back. Some remind me of the chair massage things at Brookstone... others look like a plastic/rubber tray that you'd have under your dish drying rack.

What's best? Did you use the same protector with the infant seat & older kid set or do you have to get different ones for each type of car seat?