Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Disney World Planning Thread 2018

1. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@mdf106: @skinnycow: Thank you! This is super helpful and I'm glad I re-thought our plans. Disney Springs for the whole evening it is.

@Anagram: Actually this is great because I didn't even have this restaurant on my radar and it looks pretty awesome and similar to Rainforest Cafe.

I think I'll consult with DH first about restaurants, but despite the food being probably better at Art Smith's or The Edison - we really go for the kids (and LO1 for this trip in particular) so I'm leaning towards the highly themed, decked-out, options. We're not doing a character meal or anything so this is likely our only sit-down table service meal of the trip too. Once I have his opinion we can ask LO1 which she would prefer - rainforest or dinosaurs.

2. Mrs. Snowflake

blogger / cherry / 138 posts

@lindseykaye: Just jumping in here, but we've just started the planning for a spring 2020 trip. We're planning on staying at a Disney Springs hotel (bc of Hilton rewards) and I would LOVE to go to Homecomin (Art Smith's) but we're going with our then-6 year old mostly for her and will probably only do 1 DS restaurant, so it'll be T-Rex. she's really really into dinos.

3. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Mrs. Snowflake: Awesome! LO just finished a dinosaur unit in school so she may be especially into dinos right now I'm super curious now which one she'll pick - either way I'll be sure to report back about it!

4. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

Definitely Disney Springs... there are SO many options! My favourites are Raglan Road (such a fun atmosphere with the live band and dancers - they invite kids up on the stage as well), Boathouse, House of Blues, and Homecoming (SO GOOD - my favourite meal of our last trip). Rainforest Cafe and T Rex are also super fun for kids.

Another resort that is fun to check out is Fort Wilderness... you could go on a pony ride, do some archery, have dinner Hoop Dee Doo or Trail’s End, then do a sing along campfire with Chip and Dale afterwards.

5. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

Question about Disney Jr Dance Party at Hollywood Studios. Anyone do that? I just booked a fast pass for it since you can meet Mickey and my 4yo loves Disney jr. Is a FP even necessary for this type of thing?

6. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@SweetiePie: we did it last month - the new show is really fun!
    Just an FYI you don’t actually meet Mickey or any of the characters - they come out on stage. My kids loved the whole show though, there’s lots of recognizable songs and cool special effects.

You don’t really need a FP for it... FPs for shows aren’t really ever that necessary... they guarantee you get into the next show if you show up early enough, but for the majority of WDW shows you can show up even 5-10 mins before and get a spot.

7. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@charm55: oh ok. The pic they have with the show shows them dancing with the kids. Maybe we’ll pass then.
    Hollywood studios seems kind of meh overall. But he wants to do toy story land so badly so I’m sucking it up.

8. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@SweetiePie: it really is a cute show, definitely worth seeing if you go to HS. Toy Story Land was amazing!! If you can go during the last hour of operation the rides are all pretty much a walk on and it is a really cool atmosphere at night. Besides Toy Story Land, other things my kids love at HS:
    -Frozen Sing Along
    -Incredibles Dance Party
    -meet Edna/Olaf/mike and sully/Mickey and Minnie (you can meet Mickey @ Red Carpet Dreams)
    -Beauty and the Beast show
    -Tower of Terror (my dd1 is a daredevil)
    -Muppets 3D
    -Eating @ Sci FI Diner in the cars

9. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@SweetiePie: Hollywood Studios was my least favourite, for sure, but it does have some great stuff. Midway Mania was a lot of fun, and I hated Swirling Saucers but the kids loved it. The Frozen show was really funny. Star Tours was my newly-5 year old’s favourite ride of the whole trip, and the Storm Troopers parade thing was very very cool. Also you can meet Mike and Sully!

10. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@lindseykaye: @charm55: @erinbaderin: And anyone else on this thread.

Apparently, I still don't totally "get" the Disney Dining Plan. Just today, an article I read mentioned something about quick service restaurant credits and kids. Do kids on the DDP *have* to order a kids meal? Or can they order regular meals?

What about at Table Service restaurants? Can they only order from the kids' menu? I booked a lot of breakfast buffets/character dining so this will only be an issue at a couple of TS places. But I'm still confused about QS options.

11. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@Anagram: if you have the regular dining plan, they can order any meal, child or adult, at the Quick Service restaurants. The credits are all pooled as quick service credits and there is no distinction between the two. At the table service restaurants they need to order off the children’s menu and the credits are pooled separately. You can check the app to see how many snacks, quick services, adult TS and child TS credits you have left throughout your stay. They also print it out at the bottom of each receipt.

If you have the Deluxe Dining plan, children have in practice, been allowed to order off the adult menu. There are some reports that lately they have been occasionally putting a stop to that, though. We’ve only ever done the regular dining plan so I can’t say for certain what the policy is.

12. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Anagram: I found this info that I think will answer your questions. We haven't ever done the dining plan since we're semi-local (only 2 hours away) and often bring a lot of snacks and breafast and things so I don't have first-hand experience. But I think it looks wildly convenient for a longer stay from farther away.

Basically for quick service there is no difference between adult or childrens credits. Same for buffets at table-service meals. The only time it matters are for table service meals where you orde individually. In those scenarios only will you need to stick to the child/adult menus for each person.
    However, I understand you can use/save your credits as you wish so if your kid wants an adult meal I'm pretty sure you can order them one and then you need to budget your adult meals elsewhere accordingly.

https://disneyaddicts.com/childrens-dining-plan-work-walt-disney-world-263986/

13. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@charm55: @lindseykaye: Gotcha. Interesting. I've been kind of planning how to maximize our snacks, so we aren't buying a bunch of meals outside the dining plan. But knowing that we have (essentially) 20 adult QS credits for 5 days among the 4 of us, plus our 20 Table service credits, and the 40 snack credits, I think we'll be fine. Seems like it would be pretty east to do something like, spend 2 QS credits on breakfast and supplement with snack credits, repeat that process at lunch, and then have the Table service meal for dinner--that kind of thing. And then there are still additional snack credits to use each day.

Charm, how much do you usually have to buy, off-plan? Do you usually have snack credits left at the end of the week or do you use them each day?

14. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@Anagram: we buy very very little off plan. We always have a ton of snacks left over that we need to use up by the last day. 8 snacks a day for my family is a lot, especially for my kids. I do pack snacks from home in our suitcase for the kids - without those we maybe would come closer to using all of our snacks every day. We do buy the refillable popcorn bucket and the refills out of pocket though - even though the refills are a snack credit they’re only $2 so not a great use. And my kids go through a lot of popcorn haha. We used to spend a lot on alcohol but now that you get 2 alcoholic drinks a day (with each meal) we very rarely spend money out of pocket on that either.

If you’re going during an Epcot festival most of the booths are snack credits. My Dh and I had a blast stuffing our faces around the world on our last day trying to use up snack credits

Boulangerie Patisserie in France is another great snack credit use... you can put together the best breakfast (ham and cheese, bacon rolls, croissants) for snack credits.

15. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

We realized the night before our last full day that we had 22 snack credits left - and this is with 4 people eating on 3 dining plans! (W was under 3) We also went through a lot of popcorn buckets, and we did bring some snacks like granola bars and applesauce pouches for on the go snacking. Our plan for our next trip is similar to yours - get the kids to share one adult QS meal plus some kind of snack credit side, and use that to stretch how far our QS credits go.

16. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Mrs. Snowflake: @Anagram: I ended up booking T-Rex for our arrival day since that's what DD said she liked more, but the dinner reservations went FAST so be aware that it's apparently way more popular than I expected. I grabbed a 3:15 reservation for now and I'll just keep checking back to see if anything for dinner opens up before the trip.
    I also booked Rainforest Cafe for dinner that night to secure a proper dinner time reservation, but if we get something for T-Rex at that time I'll cancel. And if it looks like our plans won't work out that we will arrive early enough I'll just cancel T-Rex and do Rainforest Cafe since DD will love either one.

17. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@lindseykaye: I’m pretty sure T-Rex only gives some of its reservations to Disney, you could try calling. It also belongs to the restaurant chain Landry’s and I think you can get a free card from them and get extra availability (or possibly front of the line access even without reservations?).

18. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@charm55: @erinbaderin: more dining plan questions—specialty drinks. Is it only alcohol, and milkshakes/smoothies? Or do some of the expensive souvenir drinks count too? Like I’m looking at the BOG breakfast menu, what counts as a specialty drink?

19. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@Anagram: anything in a souvenir cup isn’t included. You can usually get that drink in a regular cup though. For example at Ohanas, the lapu lapu (served in a pineapple) is not available on the dining plan, but they will make the same drink and put it in a regular glass and include that.

Same with any of the kids drinks that have the glow cube characters... they are not included... however occasionally a server would throw one in my kids’ apple juices and make their day.

20. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@erinbaderin: Good to know, I hadn't even considered that! Thanks

21. MommySLP

apricot / 431 posts

We are thinking about a trip next Spring—our first one. My in laws have a Marriott timeshare so we could stay for free for 7 nights. I know this impacts our fast pass time down to 30days prior and I always said that we wouldn’t go without staying on site—but not having to pay for lodging means we could go now instead of saving for another 1-2 years. Anyone have thoughts on this? Would we just miss out on all the best rides? We live in california and go to Disneyland yearly (which requires little to no planning) so the thought of planning a Disneyworld trip is soooo overwhelming!

22. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@MommySLP: Honestly, you’d probably be fine. Tons of people do it and still have a great time! There are so many rides, and only a handful you wouldn’t get to do.

23. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@MommySLP: you’ll still have a great time! We have stayed offsite a couple of times, and while I prefer on site, I wouldn’t hesitate to stay off again if it was the difference between going and not going at all.

You will still be able to get FPs for 95% of the rides. The only ones you will have a harder (near impossible) time with are the major headliners (Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Slinky Dog Dash, Flight of Passage, etc). Disney offers paid events (either early morning or late at night) where you can access these rides with little to no wait. Early Morning Magic either at Hollywood or MK might be a good option for you if riding those headliners are important.

When staying off site it’s important not to go to a park that has morning extra magic hours - the first couple of hours are the best in the park to get a lot done, and if on site resort guests have a head start on you then you’ll show up early to an already full park.

Have fun!!

24. MommySLP

apricot / 431 posts

@charm55: @erinbaderin: thank you for the info! I had read to try to get a before park opening reservation for BOG at MK, so I’m going to try to do that since I can still make dining reservations at 180 days. Then hopefully we can get right on mine train after. Does this work if we tried the same thing at Hollywood studios? (My kids still like Disney jr so I was thinking of doing that character meal).

25. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@MommySLP: There’s no touring advantage at HS for PPO breakfasts. BOG breakfast is great for getting on mine train... we do it every year, but we are the dining plan. It’s expensive if you’re paying out of pocket. If you’re going to pay $30 per person for an OK breakfast, I might look into paying a bit more (I think $60?) for early morning magic which includes over an hour of exclusive park time and a breakfast on top of that.

26. MommySLP

apricot / 431 posts

@charm55: thanks I will look into that!!

27. MommySLP

apricot / 431 posts

Has anyone been to homecomin restaurant in Disney springs? Thoughts?

28. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@MommySLP: yes !! It’s absolutely delicious... one of my favourite meals from our last trip for sure.

29. MommySLP

apricot / 431 posts

@charm55: awesome thanks! My in laws are going with us so trying to find a place they would enjoy too (my MIL loves fried chicken). It’s on my list!

30. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

Has anyone successfully done pool hopping? I know it’s against the rules, but from what I’ve read, they just ask you to leave the pool if you’re caught, so it isn’t a huge deal. I ask because we are staying at Pop but they don’t have anything nearly as nice for young kids as AoA (splash pad, etc.). You need a magic band with that resort to unlock the gate, but it sounds like it’s pretty easy to get in when someone else is on their way out of the gate. I’m usually a rule follower, but it’s really tempting.

31. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@Hypatia: I have never pool hopped because my kids can have just as much fun in a basic pool as they can in an elaborate setup so it’s never been worth the hassle for us. Also I’m a rule follower, lol. Some pools are more strict and will have cast members walking around scanning magic bands to check that you are a guest of that resort, especially on busy days. If you went when it was less busy , like the morning or evening then you’d probably be ok.

We are new DVC members and interestingly pool hopping is one of the DVC perks. I still don’t think we will bother though, but maybe one day...

32. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Hypatia: I haven't pool-hopped either but I have looked at Pop Century before and they have a kiddie pool near the Hippy Dippy pool that has zero-entry and shallow water with spray fountains. It's not as much of a "splash pad" as the one at AoA but like @charm55: said my kid tends to have just as much fun at one pool or another, especially if they don't know what they're missing

FWIW I've never been scanned at any Disney hotel pool we've been at and I haven't really seen it happening (or been aware of it if it was). But this might be a lot more common at the moderate or delux resorts vs. the value resorts which is where we've stayed (AoA, All-Star Movie and Music).

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee