I wanted to post my DIY Mobile tutorial! I was so obsessed with the mobiles on Etsy, but really couldn't justify spending $50+ on them. I love crafting, so I kind of just gave it a whirl and found it's not too difficult to make a really cute mobile for less than $10!
Here's what I did...
You will need:
*Craft paper (or heavy card stock) in the color(s) you want to feature - I suggest using 3-4 different colors!
*A 1"-2" craft circle punch
*String or Fishing line (depending on if you wanted the connecting strings to be seen, I used twine)
*Ribbon (if you aren't planning on using the same string to connect the circles)
*Hot glue gun and glue sticks
*A sewing/embroidering hoop (choose whatever size you like - I actually used two, one medium sized and one small size)
1. First, hole-punch a BUNCH of circles. You're going to want two to each completed circle in the mobile. I punched about three craft paper pages of each color, so I'd have some extra.
2. With a marker, make little dots like the face of a clock on the sewing/embroidery hoop to mark where you will eventually tie on your strings.
3. Cut varying lengths of string (I did 12", 1'1/4 and 1'1/2) and lay them out. Figure out the order of colors you'd like for each string of circles.
4. Spacing them out by at least an inch, glue one circle to another onto the length of the strings.
5. I made about 12 strings of circles. The next thing to do is tie the strings securely over the dots you've marked (I also added a dot of hot glue over the tied strings to keep them from sliding on the hoop).
6. Wrap the ribbon or string around the hoop to further secure the strings. Tie off (dot of hot glue for extra security!).
7. Using the string or fishing wire, tie two pieces to make two intersecting arches - this will eventually be what secures the mobile to your ceiling hook! Hang over the crib and enjoy!
I hope the instructions were somewhat clear --- (feel free to ask for clarification). It was such a fun craft to make, and I hope you enjoy it too!
cantaloupe / 6791 posts
I JUST told DH tonight that I wanted to make one of these!!! Yours is beautiful!
nectarine / 2132 posts
nectarine / 2433 posts
@greenebee: Very nice! Looks just like the Etsy ones
grapefruit / 4311 posts
So cute - great job!! Now I'm inspired to take on a craft
grapefruit / 4584 posts
Really cute! I wonder if this would work equally well with felt and shapes other than circles....I was considering doing something similar with hearts/clouds, but I love the uniformity of the circles, too! You have inspired me to get out my scissors.
pomegranate / 3401 posts
Great job! I want to make one too!
GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts
pomelo / 5326 posts
Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this it is so amazing!! Definitely gonna head to Michael's today to get my supplies! Yours turned out beautiful!
nectarine / 2750 posts
I love it! Thanks for sharing
honeydew / 7811 posts
@greenebee: I made one of those but yours is much prettier!
grapefruit / 4545 posts
@greenebee: Did you use a smaller embroidery hoop in the middle to create a "fuller" look? If so was the middle one just a scaled down version of the bigger one in terms of directions and what not?
cherry / 189 posts
Thank you ladies! I'm glad to have inspired some crafting!
@Mrs D: I did. Exactly! Smaller hoop. Scaled down version. You're so crafty, can't wait to see yours!!!
@cmomma17: Aw that's sweet! I bet yours is beautiful!
@PinkElephant: I was thinking about doing felt circles too, but I was unsure of how to secure them to the string without them being floppy. And I don't have a sewing machine.
cherry / 210 posts
I love it!
blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts
Totally meant to comment on the August thread @greenebee (and the FB group) - your whole nursery is gorgeous, and I LOVE that mobile. I *might* have to run out to Michaels tomorrow and get some crafting supplies...but knowing me, I'll just dream about doing it instead.
cherry / 189 posts
@redsmarties: thank you!!! It really was super easy! And a nice time filler if you're like me and counting down the minutes! @coastmama: thank you!
GOLD / wonderful apricot / 22646 posts
beautfiul!!! love it!
honeydew / 7909 posts
Oh geez, another thing added to my diy list!
honeydew / 7091 posts
I love it!! It turned out amazing! I think it would even be a cute thing to put in a reading corner or something... now you have my gears spinning!