Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Dogs around kids

  1. Adira

    wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

    @KT326: My FIL is better about the dogs around my kids too!! Maybe this is just a SMIL thing, haha.

  2. periwinklebee

    grapefruit / 4449 posts

    @Adira: I have some relatives that got annoyed with my mom when they brought the dog to HER house and she wouldn't let them feed the dog peanut butter there (LO is allergic) and then go around licking everything. Some people just can't or don't want to imagine that not everyone is like them, and that allergies are serious and not hypochondria...

  3. Adira

    wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

    @periwinklebee: Okay, so it's not JUST my crazy in-laws! I've had both my kids totally swell up and break into hives after being licked by a dog (presumably because the dog ate something my kids were allergic to, but maybe it's just because of the dog) and yet my in-laws don't understand why I'm not fawning over their dogs and begging to hang out with them, haha.

  4. periwinklebee

    grapefruit / 4449 posts

    @Adira: ugh, so ridiculous....

  5. Kaohinani

    grapefruit / 4144 posts

    @Adira: Canine (and feline) saliva, urine, and dander all produce proteins that are difficult to break down and produce allergic reactions in some people. My DD used to get hives when a dog would lick her but never reacted to the dander. With time, and immersive allergy therapy, she does not produce the reaction when licked. My DS does not have the same reaction at all. You may also be correct that the allergy response could be caused through a transference of an allergen from something a dog ingested. Many pet foods have grains, peanut powder and fillers (or coloring) that could, potentially, affect an allergy-sensitive person. I state this as a woman who is wheat allergic (as well as, allergic to bee stings, and latex) and is very cognizant of cross-contamination.

  6. Adira

    wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

    @Kaohinani: Thanks for the info!! My oldest used to be allergic to milk and my youngest is allergic to all nuts, so I assumed the dogs probably consumed something with their allergen prior to licking them, but who knows. Appreciate the info!

Reply

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee